PDA

View Full Version : Best place to watch wishes

brer frog
03-01-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm going to WDW on march 27 - April 1, I know that is a very busy week being spring break, so I'm wondering where the best place to watch wishes from is.

I've heard a lot of people say from the beach, does that also allow you to hear the music? is there music with it?

Which beach is best, and how crowded does it get?

Is there a place in the park that is obscure, that offers a good vantage point?

I'm not a fan of standing in a large crowd, that isn't what I enjoy, so that is probably why i've never watched it before.

ransam
03-01-2010, 09:27 PM
if you have the dining plan , eat at O'hana and get a window seat....you can't hear the music, but it's an awesome view.

Maleficent_vf
03-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Narcossee's at GF is also a great place to watch Wishes (and to eat). If you're not interested in dining, there's plenty of space outside to get a good view.

Inside MK, I was pleasantly surprised to find plenty of elbow room for viewing Wishes on the sidewalk area near the Mickey & Minnie topiaries in front of the castle - though it may just have been the luck of the evening and the timing of our visit (March). Also, I've been down in the rose garden near the pavillion and had a good view. It's not the same effect as having them centered around the castle, but still beautiful. Again, it may have had more to do with the time we were visiting (January).

Frontierland/Liberty Square can also be nice, plus you can take your time exiting and enjoy nearly empty walkways by the time you amble out to Main Street.

NotaGeek
03-02-2010, 12:09 AM
I happened upon an awesome place in December ... next to the Rose and Crown there's an outdoor seating area to the left, you have to enter through the check in desk for the restaurant, but you can buy food at the counter service and some beer and watch the show from a table. We got there about 45 minutes early and got a table. Its like people didn't realize t was open seating. :thumbsup:

BigRedDad
03-02-2010, 07:22 AM
I happened upon an awesome place in December ... next to the Rose and Crown

They were asking about Wishes specifically :D. For Illuminations, you are correct.

For Wishes, you can watch from the beach at the Poly. People may correct me, but I think they pump the music in. As for watching at MK, I don't think there is an obscure place where people will not be. The show is designed to be watched from in front of the Castle. It does have a different feel from other vantage points and can provide different perspectives.

brer frog
03-02-2010, 09:17 AM
You are correct about me asking for Wishes, but that tip about illuminations is also very useful.

Thanks

I understand that the place will be very crowded. I did get a glimpse of the show last year near the carousel, sorta by accident, the ropes were up restricting access, so I just waited it out, and watched from behind the castle. After seeing that, I now want to watch it for 'real'

Thanks

brad192
03-02-2010, 10:48 AM
If you've never seen Wishes, you really should see it the first time from Main Street, even though the crowds will potentially be large. Right at the end of Main Street in front of Casey's is my preferred spot. Sure, there's a lot of people, but it's usually not elbow to elbow (except on the obvious days - Xmas, July 4th, etc.).

Wherever you see it from, make sure that you can hear the music/narration, as this really makes the show. Last trip, I watched it once from the pathway going around CP and couldn't hear the music very well at all. I was quite let down, and vowed never to make that mistake again.

BigThunderFan
03-02-2010, 12:21 PM
We watched from the bridge to Tomorrowland and it was perfect. We weren't alone, but there were very few around us. Plus you are right under Tinkerbell as she flies overhead which is really cool. This way you are also close to major rides if the park is still open afterwards and you can be first in line for Space Mountain!:secret:

SBETigg
03-02-2010, 12:46 PM
I happened upon an awesome place in December ... next to the Rose and Crown there's an outdoor seating area to the left, you have to enter through the check in desk for the restaurant, but you can buy food at the counter service and some beer and watch the show from a table. We got there about 45 minutes early and got a table. Its like people didn't realize t was open seating. :thumbsup:

Stop, Michael, that's our favorite secret spot! But the OP asked about Wishes.

Narcoossee's is really not the best spot for viewing at the GF. Down the marina, at the tables outside Gasparilla Grill, you get a much better view- wider view, you can see over more of the trees, and the castle is centered from there. But I prefer the Polynesian Beach outside the parks. Inside the parks, if you go and start waiting early enough, there are tables in the top of the train station area, really nice for viewing, not so crowded, though it does fill up and you will probably have to stand, not stay seated.

joonyer
03-02-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm a big-time fireworks fan, and I think Disney shows at the Magic Kingdom, (Wishes, Hallowishes) are the very best, with the narration and music as well as the quality of the fireworks themselves. I always prefer to be close enough to any fireworks to fell as if I am almost underneath them as the explode, so that my entire field of view is covered with the exploding shells and I feel surrounded by the spectacular sparks and colors. Seeing a fireworks show from a distance is OK, but it's like the difference between listening to a recording and being at a live concert, or watching a TV show about Disney World and actaully being there. There's just no subsitute for being up close and personal.

That's why we always prefer being on Main Street in front of the Castle, somewhere between Casey's and the Hub. That's where you can best get the full effect of the show.

ryca1dreams
03-03-2010, 08:40 AM
I like the hub area too. I did think it was a little crowded and little ones may not be able to get a good view. However, you feel like you're part of the show.

We also like the bridge between the castle and Cosmic Ray's. Although, I think the trees block a little there if you're too far over.

Wherever you decide upon, make sure (as one poster said) you can hear the narration/music and that you get there early as people (like us) tend to camp out on their spot.

brer frog
03-03-2010, 08:50 AM
I watched the electric light parade from the table at the train station one year. had to get there like an hour before the show. Not quite my liking. I'll have to try the bridge.

Thanks

TinyDancer
03-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Watching it from Fantasyland is nice becuase the fireworks seem to be exploding right over your head! I saw them from the hub for the first time on our last trip and it was spectacular. But I really liked watching it from ..... actually between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. You can feel the booms of the fireworks!!!

brer frog
03-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Tiny Dancer - on the bridge or someplace else?

lettripp
03-03-2010, 10:44 AM
If you watch it from the rose garden close to the tomorrow land bridge, you can land spot right behind the garden where no one can stand in front of you. We sat on the path and the ducks pecked at our feet while we watched. It was pretty sweet! (not the duck part, of course, but we didn't have to deal with tall people!)

jenperich
03-03-2010, 11:34 AM
I think the best place to watch Wishes - not the special holiday party Wishes - just regular Wishes is from the area of Tomorrowland Noodle Station. Tinkerbell flies right over your head at that point, and then you get an unobstructed view of all the magic. It is hard to find time to watch the parades and then find a spot there - that's the only downfall. Wherever you watch them, they could not be any more magical. :-)

BigThunderFan
03-03-2010, 12:34 PM
I think the best place to watch Wishes - not the special holiday party Wishes - just regular Wishes is from the area of Tomorrowland Noodle Station. Tinkerbell flies right over your head at that point, and then you get an unobstructed view of all the magic. It is hard to find time to watch the parades and then find a spot there - that's the only downfall. Wherever you watch them, they could not be any more magical. :-)

Why not the holiday party wishes? Is there something different about that, or does Tink not fly for that?

crazygoalie39
03-04-2010, 10:39 AM
We watched from the bridge to Tomorrowland and it was perfect. We weren't alone, but there were very few around us. Plus you are right under Tinkerbell as she flies overhead which is really cool. This way you are also close to major rides if the park is still open afterwards and you can be first in line for Space Mountain!:secret:

DITTO! I would recommend being on Main St. between Casey's and...the Emporium? (brain cramp), but this is the only other place I would watch it from.

Darbylew
03-04-2010, 11:15 AM
I think the best place to watch Wishes is right
on Main Street near Casey's Corner. You want to
see Tink fly from the castle. We also watch the
parade there as well. We get there at least an
hour before everything starts. We sit on the
curb. Get a snack while sitting there. Have a
great time. :thumbsup::mickey:
BEEN THERE, GOING BACK IN MAY!!!! :D

ColeeC
03-09-2010, 05:11 PM
This might sound crazy, but we had the most amazing Wishes spot once when we weren't watching :) We'd rushed back to get Pirates of the Caribbean in during the fireworks since we hadn't seen it yet that day, and when we got off and were coming up the exit the whole area was just deserted and the whole sky lit up above us. We just stopped and stared, totally caught off guard. It was beautiful, and so unexpected. Had we staked out that perfect spot on the curb somewhere, no doubt we wouldn't have had that moment.

Goes4FastPass
03-10-2010, 04:55 PM

WOW!
So, you can sit there WITHOUT eating at Rose and Crown? I'd happily go there an hour plus before Illuminations to get a table there. I'll start practicing my speech,"Go get me you a pint and me a pint and anything that looks good to eat I'll wait here at the table."

jenperich
03-14-2010, 04:09 AM
Why not the holiday party wishes? Is there something different about that, or does Tink not fly for that?

No, Tink doesn't fly for the holiday ones.

joonyer
03-15-2010, 03:31 PM
WOW!
So, you can sit there WITHOUT eating at Rose and Crown? I'd happily go there an hour plus before Illuminations to get a table there. I'll start practicing my speech,"Go get me you a pint and me a pint and anything that looks good to eat I'll wait here at the table."

Yes, you can sit at the Yorkshire County Fish Shop seating area without eating at the R&C, and it does front the lagoon. It's a counter service restaurant with open seating for it's patrons, but you enter through at the Rose & Crown hostess desk. You're supposed to order something to be able to sit there, but I don't know how strictly it's enforced.

SBETigg
03-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Yes, you can sit at the Yorkshire County Fish Shop seating area without eating at the R&C, and it does front the lagoon. It's a counter service restaurant with open seating for it's patrons, but you enter through at the Rose & Crown hostess desk. You're supposed to order something to be able to sit there, but I don't know how strictly it's enforced.

On the other side of the fish and chips stand is the Beer Garden (not to be confused with the Biergarten). It's part of Rose and Crown but not the restaurant. They sell Bass and Guinness, I think, and the seating area is for patrons to enjoy their drinks. We always enjoy Illuminations from this area, but we usually get there more than an hour early. The seating is gone by 7:30 on a moderately crowded day, unless you get lucky. There is seating on the other side for the fish and chips patrons. We usually bring our fish and chips to the Beer Garden and enjoy it with some ale.

Goes4FastPass
03-15-2010, 05:35 PM

This is great news. I'll happily keep my family in Fish&Chips and Guiness from 7:30 until the voice on the lake says, "Good evening...":cheers: :fworks:

WVParkfan
03-17-2010, 07:58 AM
We've seen Wishes many times, and now scout-out different areas to view. HOWEVER, if you've never seen the show, then you really need to view it from Main Street.

The timing of the music and the flashes are directed for those standing in front of the castle (on Main Street). The framing of the fireworks over the castle is designed to be seen from Main Street. The changing of the colors of the castle, timed with the music and fireworks is designed to fit perfectly... but needs to be viewed from the front of the castle.

Sure, you can view the "fireworks" from anywhere in the park, or outside (as some have suggested). But if you have never seen Wishes, you'll miss what it is really all about if you don't view it from Main Street. And trust us, it is worth fighting the crowds to see it the first time. You'll be surprised at how emotional it will make you feel.