PDA

View Full Version : Bees! Bees! Bees!

MegaDisney
03-01-2010, 03:39 PM
My hummingbird feeder has been overrun with Bees!

They are not feeding from the "blossoms" but the seams on the feeder.

The Hummingbirds are not using it because of them.

Any suggestions?

laprana
03-01-2010, 04:22 PM
I know that you can get "bee proof" hummingbird feeders. They have little grate-type coverings on the spots where the birds access the nectar, and those grates keep the bees out. I'm not sure exactly how they work, but they do! I have several hummingbird feeders and the ones that do not have the bee guards on them get swarmed with bees! But the bees don't hang around the bee proof ones, so I only use those now. :bee:

MegaDisney
03-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I know the "bee guards" you are talking about.

The problem is they are not accessing the nectar via the "blossoms" (which have bee guards) they are eating at the seams of the feeder.

I thought about applying a repellant to the feeder but I am worried about poisoning the hummingbirds.

:bee::bee::bee:

d_m_n_n
03-01-2010, 06:02 PM
This sounds crazy, but trust me...IT WORKS!!! Buy some Avon SkinSoSoft (the spray oil kind) and spray it on your feeder where the bees are. Hummingbirds don't mind it at all, but bees learn very quickly they don't like it!!! :)

MNNHFLTX
03-01-2010, 07:13 PM
I occasionally have a problem with wasps bugging (no pun intended) my hummingbird feeders. If you have more than one feeder, though, they tend to migrate toward just one, leaving the other feeder for the hummingbirds. I don't know if this works for bees too, but it might be worth a try.

The wasps are actually pretty amazing to watch--they will chase away the hummingbirds when they get close to the feeder (and you know that hummingbirds are usually very territorial themselves).

MegaDisney
03-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Buy some Avon SkinSoSoft (the spray oil kind) and spray it on your feeder where the bees are.

I will have to try that! Thanks! Only one question: Who sells Avon? :blush:

(and you know that hummingbirds are usually very territorial themselves).

I know! I love watching them. We have a couple of different types. Some really small, and some larger ones. They dart around and "buzz" and chase each other. We are lucky here to have them year round. TONS!

Arielfan98
03-01-2010, 08:30 PM

I know! I love watching them. We have a couple of different types. Some really small, and some larger ones. They dart around and "buzz" and chase each other. We are lucky here to have them year round. TONS!

I'm not really sure how to answer your main question about the bees, as I've attempted many times during the spring and summer to have hummingbirds in my yard, but my attempts always fail. However I would be glad to tell you where to buy avon products. They're sold at CVS, Stop and Shop, and Avon's site.

d_m_n_n
03-01-2010, 08:36 PM

DH's grandma sells it! But it was Grandpa that gave me the tip :) If you go to ebay and search skin so soft bath oil spray, several come up!

I love little hummingbirds! We don't put our feeders out until tax day...at least that gives me something to look forward to!!! Enjoy your little feathered friends!

MegaDisney
03-02-2010, 08:54 AM
I thought I had to wait till the Avon Lady came calling! :blush:

Thanks for the information!

DizNee143
03-02-2010, 09:12 AM
i know my mother-in-law hangs a bottle (like a small 16oz bottle) right next to the hummingbird feeder and fills it about a quarter of the way with the nectar also and the bees will go in and get the nectar but cant come out..its been working out pretty well for her the last 2 years...
goodluck! :)

NotaGeek
03-02-2010, 01:05 PM
i know my mother-in-law hangs a bottle (like a small 16oz bottle) right next to the hummingbird feeder and fills it about a quarter of the way with the nectar also and the bees will go in and get the nectar but cant come out..its been working out pretty well for her the last 2 years...
goodluck! :)
With the severe loss of Bees world wide it doesn't seem humane or smart to kill the bees just because they are doing what they are supposed to do ... not to get on a soap box, but killing bees because they are ruining a hummingbird experience seems against the whole "enjoying nature" aspect of a hummingbird feeder.

DizNee143
03-02-2010, 01:11 PM
With the severe loss of Bees world wide it doesn't seem humane or smart to kill the bees just because they are doing what they are supposed to do ... not to get on a soap box, but killing bees because they are ruining a hummingbird experience seems against the whole "enjoying nature" aspect of a hummingbird feeder.

oh well..just saying what my mother-in-law does..

Mickey'sGirl
03-02-2010, 01:20 PM
I have heard that rubbing bar soap around the openings will deter the bees and wasps, while providing unhindered access to our hummingbird friends! We need those bees to keep our planet green, so let's just shoo them off to another location!

MegaDisney
03-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I don't wanna kill the bees. The disappearance of the bee populations of the planet is indeed worrisome. I like the bees, I am just missing the hummingbirds, and so are my cats! They love to sit and watch them. My male makes huffing/sucking noises that remind me of Hannibal Lecter. "I will enjoy you little hummingbird with some fava beans and an nice bottle of Chianti!" I also worry about my dogs getting stung.

I will try the lotion and soap ideas.

Thanks for all the input!

DizNee143
03-02-2010, 01:37 PM
again i was just saying what my mother-in-law does..
and i didnt know that bees were in danger of going bye bye..
granted i know they have there place in the circle of life..but i cant stand them and wouldnt mind seeing them gone..especially since something sooooooooo tiny can KILL my husband! i do not like them..and i hate when summer rolls around..with hubby working outside and bees all around..
but whatever..good luck with your hummingbirds..

MegaDisney
03-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Do you like to eat? Honeybees don't just make honey; they pollinate more than 90% of crops we eat. Among them: apples, nuts, avocados, soybeans, asparagus, broccoli, celery, squash and cucumbers. And lots of the really sweet and tart stuff, too, including citrus fruit, peaches, kiwi, cherries, blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, cantaloupe and other melons.

If bee populations continue to decline we could face a major food crisis on this planet. The scary thing is that scientists have no idea what is causing the Colony Collapse Disorder.

DizNee143
03-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Do you like to eat? Honeybees don't just make honey; they pollinate more than 90% of crops we eat. Among them: apples, nuts, avocados, soybeans, asparagus, broccoli, celery, squash and cucumbers. And lots of the really sweet and tart stuff, too, including citrus fruit, peaches, kiwi, cherries, blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, cantaloupe and other melons.

If bee populations continue to decline we could face a major food crisis on this planet. The scary thing is that scientists have no idea what is causing the Colony Collapse Disorder.

like i said i know they are important in the circle of life..but knowing that a little freakin thing about the size of an inch can again KILL my husband..i dont like them..
i know they are important..but my hubby is waaay more important to me...
i wasnt trying to start anything..i was just stating what my mother-in-law does..i just gave advice on the question asked..and again i understand there importance..

MegaDisney
03-02-2010, 03:23 PM
I understand. I cannot imagine how scary it would be to have something as small as a bee be life threatening!