PDA

View Full Version : Today in Disney History 3/1

vizsla
03-01-2010, 05:13 AM
Mar. 1, 1910 – Legendary actor David Niven was born in London, England. His Disney credits include the 1977 “Candleshoe” and the 1976 “No Deposit, No Return.”
Mar. 1, 1924 - Disney’s Alice Comedy series made its debut in east coast theaters with “Alice’s Day at Sea”, and Virginia Davis as Alice.
Mar. 1, 1930 - Disney animator Ub Iwerks, the 1st animator of Mickey Mouse quits the studio to open up his own studio. He would eventually return to Disney.
Mar. 1, 1940 - Walt Disney praised Frank Thomas and Milt Kahl on a 2 minute test screening of “Bambi”. Walt Disney turned to the two with tears in his eyes and said, “Thanks, fellows, That’s great stuff, no kidding”.
Mar. 1, 1941 – Walt Disney’s speech “Our American Culture” was broadcast at an intermission of the Metropolitan Opera. Walt’s words were: “Once a man has tasted freedom he will never be content to be a slave. That is why I believe that this frightfulness we see everywhere today is only temporary. Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideas of freedom and a better life. All men will want to be free and share our way of life. There much be so much that I should have said, but haven’t. What I will say now is just what most of us are probably thinking every day. I thank god and America for the right to live and raise my family under the flag of tolerance, democracy, and freedom.”
Mar. 1, 1954 – Film director, producer, and actor Ron Howard, was born Ronald William Howard in Duncan, Ok. First known to TV fans as Opie on The Andy Griffith Show, Howard directed the 1984 film “Splash,” Disney’s first release under its Touchstone Pictures label. He can also be heard on Disneyland Records’ 1969 album release “The Story and Song From The Haunted Mansion,” playing the role of Mike, one of two teens who got trapped in the mansion.
Mar. 1, 1963 – Actor Bryan Batt, who in 2001 played the role of Lumiere in Disney’s Broadway hit “Beauty and the Beast,” was born in New Orleans, La.
Mar. 1, 1964 – The Disney TV show aired “The Legend of Two Gypsy Dogs.”
Mar. 1, 1970 – Disney’s part-1 of its 2-part TV movie “Menace on the Mountain” aired. (Part-2 aired Mar. 8, 1970)
Mar. 1, 1971 – Actor Jack Davenport, known for his role of Norrington in both Disney features “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl” and “Pirates of the Caribben: Dead Man’s Chest,” was born in Suffolk, England.

CanadianWDWFan
03-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Thanks Vince!:thumbsup:

KylesMom
03-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Mar. 1, 1941 Powerful words sixty-nine years later. Some things truly are timeless. Thanks, Vince! :mickey:

PopPhan
03-01-2010, 11:07 AM
WOW!!! I didn't know Ron Howard was from Duncan, OK!! My mom is from Duncan!!!! (Of course, mom graduated from Duncan High a year before Ron was born!!! LOL)

Giggy
03-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Mar. 1, 1940 - Walt Disney praised Frank Thomas and Milt Kahl on a 2 minute test screening of “Bambi”. Walt Disney turned to the two with tears in his eyes and said, “Thanks, fellows, That’s great stuff, no kidding”.

I know Bambi has made a lot of people cry over the years but I didn't realise Walt was one of them! :bambi:

pdrlkr
03-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks Vince! :thumbsup: :mickey:

ibrowse17
03-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Cool, thank you:thumbsup:

Jeff
03-01-2010, 08:41 PM
:thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks Vince.