PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from the Winston-Salem/Greensboro Area?

Dulcee
02-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Hi All

So I was recently accepted to a Phd graduate program at Wake Forest and DBF and I are discussing a big move south. We've been looking online at apartments and such and I'm looking to get some inside tips/hints on the area from people.

We've found some really great apartment complexes that we like at amazing prices (we're from jersey so the cost of living is a big change). So now were just trying to get a feel if there are areas we should stay away from and such and also, if anyone would feel comfortable sharing, averages on utility bills.

Thanks all!

Melanie
02-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Congratulations on your acceptance to WFU. :thumbsup: GO DEACS! I grew up in the W-S area and am a huge Deacon fan. :)

So what areas are you looking at?

BigRedDad
03-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Do not trust apartment sites or their documentation on how nice an area is. I went through this with my nephew moving to Greensboro. Everything that looked nice was garbage and in areas I would call unsafe. The worst part of it is that it is against the law for apartment complexes to tell you this information.

Try to get information from people that live there. Schedule at least an entire weekend to look at places. I think you will love it there. I have only been there twice. It is definitely a nice city.

Hayden's Dad
03-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Up until last November I lived in Greensboro for all of my life. Let me know what questions you have. Just to let you know depending on where in Greensboro you are looking can be a looong way from Wake Forest :mickey:

Melanie
03-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Just to let you know depending on where in Greensboro you are looking can be a looong way from Wake Forest :mickey:

Exactly. I really wouldn't consider Greensboro. As far east as I'd go would be Kernersville. Plenty of nice places to live closer to campus.

Dulcee
03-01-2010, 06:36 PM
We're looking into Greensboro as well because DBF is applying to be a police officer there as well as winston salem so either way one of us may end up commuting.

Some of the apartment complexes were thinkingof checking out in winston salem..

Glendare Park on Village Crossing Lane
Sherwood Ridges on kings court
The corners on crystal lake on Reynolda Road
The Trails at Bethabara on woods road

Thats just a start. I've been trying to find reviews online under google, yahoo ect but it seems for every great review you find an awful one as well..

Melanie
03-01-2010, 07:47 PM
If he's going to be working in G'Boro, I'd definitely think of living in Kernersville. It's between the two cities.

The area around Reynolda Road (and the campus) is very nice, but not a lot of new construction. It's where the 'old money' is, if you will. The Bethabara area is nice as well. When you come to W-S, you'll learn that the city's history consists of Moravians, cigarettes and Krispy Kreme's. ;) Bethabara was the first settlement of Moravians in NC.

I wish I could help you more on the actual apartment complexes. I grew up in Clemmons, which is west of W-S. It's a great community!

dnickels
03-01-2010, 09:04 PM
This goes for anywhere in the country, but do what someone earlier suggested. Drive or fly down, spend an entire weekend driving around looking at different places and neighborhoods.

Don't trust the pictures, don't trust other people's reviews. One person's 'sketchy' is another person's 'ideal.' Some people don't mind driving everywhere while others would like to have a restaurant or grocery store or entertainment within walking/biking distance. The few hundred bucks for the weekend will definitely make up for it if you can find a neighborhood you want to live in for the next few years as opposed to some bland apartment complex.