PDA

View Full Version : Did you honeymoon, then bring the kids?

ANG
02-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Question 1: Did you honeymoon at DW?

and

Question 2: Have you since been back with your kids? Did/do you have any sentimental moments looking back?

We honeymooned at DW in 2006, then took our son when he was only 5 months old last year. During the Wishes show, I got really choked up! I look over to my husband and feel so thankful for our marriage. Then to my son, feeling blessed for having him and can share these wonderful experiences with him. Yeah, I cried. DW really IS the happiest place on Earth :mickey:

SBETigg
02-27-2010, 10:53 AM
I had gone as a child and knew it was where I wanted to honeymoon. My husband had never been and pictured a big Six Flags type of experience, but I convinced him to try WDW. We had such an incredible time. He couldn't believe all that WDW had to offer.

And then we had our son, and a daughter, and spent years struggling financially as I stayed home with the kids trying to establish my writing career and the husband worked some really tough jobs. We dreamed of bringing them back (my son's first word was Dinney- whenever he saw Mickey), but didn't get to go until the kids were 10 and 8. It was a great relief that they fell in love with Disney as much as we did. After all that time, we feared they wouldn't get it somehow. And we've been back on a regular basis ever since. We treasure those struggling years, but I do wish we could have brought the kids sooner.

luvDaMouse
02-27-2010, 11:37 AM
I too honeymooned in Disney in 1986. Funny I was there with my family in 1976, honeymoon in 1986 then brought my girls in 2006. Okay the first time with the girls was in 04 but it sounds much cooler when I say 76,86 and 06;) Anyway, my kids were older too when we finally got back oldest was 15 youngest was 12 but we did have some sentimental moments in Epcot in Italy. We have been back often since then with and without kids:)

drummerboy
02-27-2010, 12:03 PM
We honeymooned at WDW in '76 and left the kids at home. We picked them up for part 2 of the honeymoon and went to the NC mountains. They were DW's by a previous marriage. We took them to WDW later.

BrerGnat
02-27-2010, 12:56 PM
We got married and honeymooned at WDW in 2001.

We will be taking our kids there for the first time next month. They are 5 and 4. :mickey: :mickey:

I'm sure there will be some emotional moments for both of us. Both of our sons are special needs children (Autism Spectrum Disorders) and there was a time when I thought we would NEVER get back there as a family, much less ever have a "real" vacation. A few years ago, I went to WDW with some girlfriends and during Wishes, I got really choked up at all the "normal" families around me, with kids who were having such a good time, and I thought "I am never going to have that."

But, fast foward a couple years, and our kids have had some great improvements, and we decided to bite the bullet and make the BIG trip to FL from CA. It's a huge step for us as a family.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
02-27-2010, 01:07 PM
We've only been back twice with our kids since the '95 honeymoon, but each time we've taken their picture laying next to our "walk around the world" paver stone that we got to commemorate the honeymoon trip.

KylesMom
02-28-2010, 09:30 AM
We honeymooned in Disney in June of '91 (my first trip ever & my 25th birthday to boot). In 2000, we took DS who was 27 months old at the time on his first trip to "the world". We caved after DS kept seeing the Milennium commercial & yelling at the TV "Ickey's House!" This after we swore we wouldn't bring a kid until he/she was 10 because of all that we saw on our honeymoon. Boy, am I glad we changed our minds - it was magical with DS.

This July, we'll be celebrating our eleventh annual trip with DS, and I cry at both Wishes and Illuminations each time, thankful for my family and the fact that we're fortunate to be able to spend the time at Disney! :mickey:

cajunmickey
02-28-2010, 11:12 AM
I had been the the world as a child, also just girls for high school graduation, and convinced DH to go on our honeymoon. There were only two parks back in 1987. Brought the kids for the first time in 1996, MGM was added by then. We have brought them several times since. This year we will be celebrating DD high school graduation. Know we also bring DS girlfriend. Disney and special moments go hand in hand for us!:mickey:

Jenemmy
02-28-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm sure there will be some emotional moments for both of us. Both of our sons are special needs children (Autism Spectrum Disorders) and there was a time when I thought we would NEVER get back there as a family, much less ever have a "real" vacation. A few years ago, I went to WDW with some girlfriends and during Wishes, I got really choked up at all the "normal" families around me, with kids who were having such a good time, and I thought "I am never going to have that."

But, fast foward a couple years, and our kids have had some great improvements, and we decided to bite the bullet and make the BIG trip to FL from CA. It's a huge step for us as a family.

:hug: I SOOOOO understand this. Having a kiddo on the spectrum myself, I went through a phase of really grieving that our family could not be "normal". But, it dawned on me one day that the way we do things is completely NORMAL for us! Every family has things they can and can't do for various reasons, learning to work things out in a positive way is what makes your family unique and what makes it yours :mickey: So glad you are ready to make the trip and hope it is AMAZING!

To answer the original question, we honeymooned at WDW in 1993 and have made numerous trips since then with our 3 kids. Some as an entire family, some as a partial family. My son has had phases where he could handle the trip, and times when we knew better than to push it. I love that Disney World is such a part of our lives and that I can revisit beautiful memories from my childhood, my marriage and my kid's lives each time I go!