PDA

View Full Version : Something that most peole don't know about, but is worth doing/seeing is .....

Diznut
02-24-2010, 08:49 AM
What is something you enjoy doing or seeing when you go to Disney World that isn't main stream?

Bay Lake
02-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Every time we go, we always stop in Japan to pick an oyster with the pearl. Now my daughters want to start. :thumbsup:

Touchdown
02-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Every night about 1/2 hour after closing Cinderella Castle has a light show where When You Wish Upon a Star swells, Mickey says good night and the dedication address is narated. Its a perfect way to end your day at the MK.

BigThunderFan
02-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Every night about 1/2 hour after closing Cinderella Castle has a light show where When You Wish Upon a Star swells, Mickey says good night and the dedication address is narated. Its a perfect way to end your day at the MK.

Ah yes, the "Kiss Good Night" is great! :thumbsup:

Soph and Han's Mom
02-24-2010, 10:10 AM
what a great question! i'm curious to see what folks have to say...

something that we do is take a picture of our 2 girls in the same few spots everytime we're at wdw. not really an 'attraction' or something to see, but it's a fun way to see how big your kids have gotten over the years. i like to look back at the pictures from past trips and see how much my kids are growing. maybe they will take their own kids someday and continue the tradition:mickey:

something we enjoy doing on a lazy day or rainy afternoon is get on the monorail and just ride for a while...fun to watch all the different types of people come and go! some are happy, some are yelling at eachother, some aren't talking at all (haha)...never boring to people watch!

g8rgirl29
02-24-2010, 11:25 AM
In The Seas in EPCOT there are little exhibits set up with one or two presenters. In Jan we learned all about manatees and dolphins. It was a quick little presentation and they answered all my 5 yo DD's questions. We went to see Turtle Talk and then DD wanted to go see about the manatees she had learned about so we went in search of them. We saw the lady that had talked to us and told her where we were headed and she came with us and then took us through the tanks and pointed out so many different fish, dolphins, and all sorts of aquatic life and info!! It was amazing and like our own private tour!! DD still talks about this and can't wait to see if they have a different presentation next trip.

azcavalier
02-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Find a copy of "Hidden magic of Walt Disney World" by Susan Veness and read it before you go. Then look for some of the stuff that it points out, such as the "Singing in the Rain" lightpost at DHS, or the phone in Tomorrowland that calls different characters like the agent for the singer at Cosmic Ray's. They're each kind of small things, but all together they're fun to find and experience. And most people who go to WDW wouldn't know about most of them.

lettripp
02-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Last time we went, my friends and I had the perfect snack combination: A beer from Germany and egg rolls from China. We sat on a bench by the World Showcase Lagoon and enjoyed a snack combo that is sure to be repeated every trip from now on! :eat:

elmjimmlm
02-24-2010, 12:07 PM

Can anyone watch this? I have never heard about this but it sounds great...

jpmsrivers
02-24-2010, 01:10 PM
We love to sit on a bench and just people watch...you will be amazed at all of the entertainment you see. ;)

Tygger7
02-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Find a copy of "Hidden magic of Walt Disney World" by Susan Veness and read it before you go. Then look for some of the stuff that it points out, such as the "Singing in the Rain" lightpost at DHS, or the phone in Tomorrowland that calls different characters like the agent for the singer at Cosmic Ray's. They're each kind of small things, but all together they're fun to find and experience. And most people who go to WDW wouldn't know about most of them.

Just to give everyone a "heads up" before spending money on this book...I purchased this book a few months ago and was VERY disappointed. There was a lot of blatently wrong information (ie. they reference utilidors in Disneyland, etc.) and out of date information (Tink in the keyhole of the old sewing machine). I really didn't learn anything I didn't already know from Intercot and other books I've read. And, it irritated me that the editor/publisher didn't check out their facts before publishing. Read some reviews on this book before buying...I wish I had.

I just finished reading "Mousejunkies" and it was much better and the information was accurate. Check out the Imagineers guides...much better & informatitive.

I love looking for the "little" details that make the parks, especially in MK. Like reading all the upper windows on Main Street and paying attention to the background music & smells. Nothing better than watching little ones walk down Main Street for the first time and listening to their reactions.

Jennifer_and_Chris
02-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Just to give everyone a "heads up" before spending money on this book...I purchased this book a few months ago and was VERY disappointed. There was a lot of blatently wrong information (ie. they reference utilidors in Disneyland, etc.) and out of date information (Tink in the keyhole of the old sewing machine). I really didn't learn anything I didn't already know from Intercot and other books I've read. And, it irritated me that the editor/publisher didn't check out their facts before publishing. Read some reviews on this book before buying...I wish I had.

I just finished reading "Mousejunkies" and it was much better and the information was accurate. Check out the Imagineers guides...much better & informatitive.

I love looking for the "little" details that make the parks, especially in MK. Like reading all the upper windows on Main Street and paying attention to the background music & smells. Nothing better than watching little ones walk down Main Street for the first time and listening to their reactions.

Try your library! You can check these and many more books out without having to commit to purchasing.

This is not every night... It's kind of hit or miss. We saw this 3 times that I can remember. One time I remember the most was when my DD was 9 months. we waited for the masses to pass on the way out. We were facing the castle over by Tomorrowland Noodles Station and then it twinkled, the announcement came on and by the time we got outside the gates, Mickey and Minnie were on the train platform waving goodbye and picture posing for the 50 or so of us left. GREAT MEMORY!

javamama
02-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Interesting info thanks!

Scar
02-24-2010, 02:57 PM
At the American Adventure, I try to be one of the first to go up the escalators. After checking out all the flags and entering the room above the rotunda, I peel off instead of heading right to the doors. When everyone else is walking by, I stroll around the perimeter of the room checking out all the decorations and books in the book cases. Some pretty cool stuff.

MOJoe
02-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Does "Journey into your Imagination" count?
It's the best ride in WDW that no one seems to attend. And almost always a walk-on when we visit.

:figment:

Melanie
02-24-2010, 03:14 PM
The Kim Possible missions at Epcot!

Jennifer_and_Chris
02-24-2010, 03:21 PM
It's the best ride in WDW that no one seems to attend. And almost always a walk-on when we visit.

my DH and DD LOVE THIS RIDE!!! Especially the skunk

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-24-2010, 03:40 PM
DeVine at animal Kingdom...we saw her Dec. 2008 outside the entrance of RFC

IrishMickey
02-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Wow great stuff, we are planning a trip and I stay away from Intercot when we are not planning a trip because it makes me want to be there, anyways, we love to people watch, but we always love the Character meals, our kids just think it is amazing to eat with the Disney Chararcters, it is a must do!! & Melanears thanks for the KP info, we are big fans and hope to do that in December! :thumbsup:

WelshieLover
02-24-2010, 05:15 PM
I love the "characters" at DHS doing street performances. You have to meet Officer William Club "Billy Club". While we were there he was ticketing strollers for illegally parking in a no parking zone. Imagine the owners when they came out of Beauty and the Beast to find their stroller ticketed. :mickey:

StitchFan#1
02-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Having one mickeybar each day! Its our fave mid-day snack!:bar:

faline
02-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Discovery Island Trails at Animal Kingdom - you hardly ever run into anyone else here!

Sitting on the rocking chairs on the porch of Pioneer Hall - great place for people watching.

Alaska Disney Fan
02-24-2010, 07:04 PM
I have tried "beers of the world" every time we have been, but can't seem to make it past Germany. :beer:

Suz36
02-24-2010, 07:25 PM
When we were in Epcot in October, my kids became Canadian Junior Rangers at the shop in Canada. They loved it!!

Touchdown
02-24-2010, 09:50 PM
The Good Night Kiss is supposed to happen every night, however due to the changing schedule the MK is on, sometimes someone forgets to program the show into the proper time and it never gets played, this tends to happen on EMH evening nights especially (its supposed to go off twice those nights.)

And yes anyone can watch the show, Main Street remains open. Ive generally had some great conversations with the crowd control cast members mulling around after a vast majority of the crowd has left and they have nothing to do.

crltkcagle
02-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Magic Kingdom

1. Collecting the paintbrushes on Tom Sawyers Island first thing in the morning

2. Stop by guest realtions in city hall and ask to participate in the flag retreat ceremony.

3. The laughing goofy outside of Tony's

4. As you enter on to Main Stree the lights are all gas lights. As you make your way down MS the turn into electic lights. This is to represent the dawn of the industrial revolution.

5. The intials STR on Walt's tie appear on the partners statue. They stand for Smoke Tree Ranch in Palm Springs, his favorite place to visit when taking a break.

6. The RR station has mutoscopes that really work!

7. While waiting in the left queue line at POC peer through the window in the dungeon to see two skeletons playing chess. They are in a "deadlock" tie!

8.Frontier Land Shootin Arcade gets skipped over by many.

9.The frontierland train station queue to board the train there is a door at the left top of the ramp. If you listen closely you will hear Walt's opening day speech at DL in 1955, in morse code.

10. On Main Street take a right onto Center Street. Look for the windows at the end that read singing lessons and music and dance lessons. Listen carefully and you will hear something!

I could go on and on but I guess I will save some for everyone else! :)

Tink#64
02-24-2010, 11:36 PM
We love the Jammitors in Epcot! I just think they are awesome! Also eating outside whenever we can just so we can people watch! We also love spotting all the lizards! Mostly in Epcot! The family of ducks that always seem to be at Pop! They are so funny! Getting photos with the Castle in the background from various locations all the way around the castle, the ones at night are always gorgeous! Shopping in DTD & on Hollywood Blvd! All parades! Talking to the bus drivers, they have so many great stories to tell! Opening ceremony at MK! :cloud9:

homeschool mom
02-25-2010, 08:42 AM
WOW, these are some great responses. I was just wondering yesterday what we are going to on our upcoming trip to make it a little more special - things we haven't done before. You all have given me some great ideas!

Soph and Han's Mom
02-25-2010, 10:42 AM
i used to go to disneyland in california with my parents all the time when i was little...on main street they had a general store with candlestick phones. if you picked the phones up and listened you could hear some funny conversations. one was between a woman and the phone operator...my dad and i thought they were so funny! does wdw have anything like that? i can't believe i've never looked for it! hope this doesn't change the topic...just wondering if it's around anywhere:mickey:

BigThunderFan
02-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Magic Kingdom

3. The laughing goofy outside of Tony's
:)

Goofy was gone when we were there in January :(

SBETigg
02-25-2010, 10:47 AM
I used to love the old Penny Arcade on Main Street. I think they still have a few of the games to play on the upper level of the MK train station.

DisneyOtaku
02-25-2010, 02:04 PM
I used to love the old Penny Arcade on Main Street. I think they still have a few of the games to play on the upper level of the MK train station.

Do you really think so?? I loved the Penny Arcade and would love to check it out when I go back this summer if they really are there!

Jared
02-25-2010, 02:37 PM
The Kim Possible missions at Epcot!
Agreed. My girlfriend and I spent an entire afternoon roaming around World Showcase completing the missions. A real unexpected treat!

wire0monkey
02-25-2010, 03:22 PM
In DHS, the AT-AT walker in front of "Star Tours" periodically fires its guns. My kids had a great time one evening running around and pretending to fight the AT-AT. (They had a blaster and a light saber from Tatooine Traders.)

joonyer
02-25-2010, 04:04 PM
The campfire sing-along and outdoor movies at Fort Wilderness.

Jennifer_and_Chris
02-25-2010, 04:11 PM
If you have young ones (or old ones for that matter) and need a place to detox or maybe get the kids sleepy, just take the train ride all the way around MK... and stay on there for baby to nap! Been there, done that!

Plus, there are great little hidden scenes that you would never see otherwise.

:train:

TheVBs
02-26-2010, 07:08 AM
Love this thread! But it's making me so homesick for WDW. :(

Kenny1113
02-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Magic Kingdom

8.Frontier Land Shootin Arcade gets skipped over by many.

We were guilty of of this until we tried it in Oct. My boys loved it!!! They kept playing!!!

DCDisney
02-26-2010, 12:42 PM
1. Talking Turtle with Crush - in Epcot
2. electric water pageant - seen from Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge and Contemp. Resort.

TeamJonasSister
02-26-2010, 01:00 PM
We go in September, so it is very easy to accomplish just about everything the parks have to offer. Last year, we had done everything in future world at Epcot, so we decided to hang out at Innoventions. There are many fun things to do there. We did a game on recycling, went to a weather thing that was really cool, and did the whole velcro thing where you get to make things at the end. It's kind of like a free souvenir.

phillydan
02-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Here are a few of our favs:
1. Electric Water Pagent from the resort docks.
2. Talking water fountain in Epcot (although, we couldn't find it last year???)
3. Having lunch by the windows in Pinnochio's and waving to everyone going on Small World
4. taking the back path between Space Mountain and Toontown; great photo opportunity when the steam train goes by.
5. Breakfast at Main Street Bakery on our last day - sitting outside and just watching the excitement of the new arrivals.

Patricia
02-26-2010, 04:31 PM
In regards to the Penny Arcade, there are not many games in the Railroad station.. I think it's just the Play Football and the Mutoscopes (they are the little silent movies that work like a flip book.)

You can find some of the old games in Mickey's Athletic World, the store that took over the Penny Arcade space.

There are some Mutoscopes at The Boardwalk Inn as well.

bruin1344
02-26-2010, 07:15 PM

i agree, comes in handy on those hot days and i get kick out of dr. nigel channing

websitekid
02-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Anyone have any good ideas for a bunch of college kids to do over spring break while a WDW? The kiss goodnight would be nice... but anything a little more... energized?

SBETigg
02-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Do you really think so?? I loved the Penny Arcade and would love to check it out when I go back this summer if they really are there!

I can't say for sure, because I haven't checked in a few years. But there were a few up there in 2007.

kemps@wdw
02-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Resort Hopping:thumbsup:

SBETigg
02-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Anyone have any good ideas for a bunch of college kids to do over spring break while a WDW? The kiss goodnight would be nice... but anything a little more... energized?

You could do a mini resort tour- check out what's available for shopping, drinking, or dining at other resorts. You could go to Downtown Disney, maybe take a ride on the Characters in Flight balloon. Raglan Road and House of Blues often have bands playing after nine. I'm not sure how late mini golf is open, but you could check the hours and play a late round if it's open post park. You could go to the Boardwalk and enjoy the entertainment at Jelly Rolls or Atlantic Dance Hall. You can go back to your own resort and do some nighttime swimming.

garthbarth1
02-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Definitely agree about the Frontier Shooting Arcade...it is a must do for Dh and I! Two years ago we had the arcade to ourself...it was so much fun!! Cant wait to go back...hopefully this year!

mustBgoofy
02-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Every time we go, we always stop in Japan to pick an oyster with the pearl. Now my daughters want to start. :thumbsup:

That is my favorite part of Epcot! I did this my first year at Disney and got a rare oyster with 2 pearls in it and they were the same size and shape. When I went back to visit a friend who was working as a CM in Epcot I chose another pearl and it was the same size and color as my other ones. I now have a necklace and earrings :-) I can't wait to go back and get more this time to start a set for my mother!!

azcavalier
02-28-2010, 09:41 AM
i used to go to disneyland in california with my parents all the time when i was little...on main street they had a general store with candlestick phones. if you picked the phones up and listened you could hear some funny conversations. one was between a woman and the phone operator...my dad and i thought they were so funny! does wdw have anything like that? i can't believe i've never looked for it! hope this doesn't change the topic...just wondering if it's around anywhere:mickey:

There is supposed to be one on Main Street in MK like that. I've read about it, but never tried it. In Tomorrowland there is a phone that allows you to listen to some "intergalactic" characters.

azcavalier
02-28-2010, 09:44 AM

I'll have to look for Mousejunkies and try it.

My DW gave me Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World for Father's Day last year and I liked it. There were a couple of things in there that I though were out of date (I don't know when the book was originally published), but for the most part, I found it entertaining and accurate.

I DO also highly recommend the Imagineering Guides to the various parks. I have them all so far. Still waiting for the one on DHS....it's been on pre-order for almost two years now. They keep pushing the release date back.

wdwvacationeer
02-28-2010, 03:44 PM
We love the oyster/pearl fun in Japan, too! We also try to go to the Grand Floridian Afternoon Tea each visit. It is sooooo relaxing and it gives us a real break from the parks/resort feel. Everyone is relaxed and ready to go after tea!

mudpuppysmom
02-28-2010, 03:46 PM
We have been known to stroll through the rose garden and "stop and smell the roses"!

Another stop for us is the beach at Beach Club......we were there in the winter and instead of a snow angel, DS#1 made a sand angel!

We like to resort hop and look around -- lets us think about where else we'd like to stay one day.

We also talk with many of the CM's about where they are from and that specific area of the world (mostly international CM's). You'd be surprised at how much you can put into your kids school reports when you get back! (We always do a report since DS takes off a week of school).

Touchdown
02-28-2010, 09:42 PM
For college kids, try to do as much evening EMH as you can, especially at the MK. All the things that you think are "beyond" you (character pictures, Fantasyland spinning rides) because their wait is excessive during the day you can do at 1 am with no wait. Also, if there is no line at WDW you can reride most attractions without getting off (and during evening EMH those can and do include SM and BTMRR.)

IamBelle
03-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Don't miss the candy art show in Japan, it is a free show with the possibility of recieving a free piece of candy art at the end. The candy sculptures are amazing!! We got a pink striped zebra last trip!
Also, In DTD Goofy's Candy Shop you can make your own treats-cereal bars, carmel apples, huge oreo-like cookies, marshmallows, or a pretzel stick and you can decide what toppings to put on them...the cookies are so delicious!!
Also, in Epcot, they do a similar thing to MK's "kiss goodnight". We saw it a few years ago after a late dinner in Japan and we were in the park with VERY few people. I do not know if they still do this...
Also, try to go from DHS to Epcot by the friendship boats...it takes about 30-45 minutes with all the resort stops, but it is a very scenic view and you enter Epcot through the "back door" near France and England.
We also like to sample something and see a show from every country in the World Showcase, the movies, like O Canada, are very overlooked, but show the beautiful countries!

RBrooksC
03-01-2010, 02:27 PM
There is something I found in the Imagineer's guide to WDW. There is a fountain just to the left of the Castle when you are facing it from the front. If you walk around the castle to the left, you pass it. If you get down to the level of a child and look at Cinderella, you will see a crown on her head.

mom2mickeyfan
03-02-2010, 06:38 PM
The campfire sing-along and outdoor movies at Fort Wilderness.

Can you do this even if you don't stay on-site?

azcavalier
03-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Can you do this even if you don't stay on-site?

Yes, you can. We were going to try it last time, but just didn't have time to do it. You can call the front desk to see which movies they will be playing. I think they were showing "Herbie Fully Loaded" when we were going to be there.

azcavalier
03-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Street Performers, both at the parks and at various resorts (or, at least, the Boardwalk).

We took the time to sit down and listen to the Village Beatniks at AK and Mulch, Sweat, and Shears at DHS, and they were both amazing. Usually we would just walk right past. We need to talk to some of the characters on DHS's main street next time.

Also, when we stayed at BWV a few years back, we caught a street magician. He was amazing.

The performers in the various Epcot countries are good, too. I believe that it was France or Italy that had a mime, but he was doing juggling and it was a very interactive show. Great stuff.

finaldynasty
03-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Two years ago, when my DS was 6 we happened up on the Sword in the Stone. He pulled the Sword out (well actually, 1/2 way out). They don't let you pull it all the way out. A castmember came and proclaimed it his day in the park, gave him a Prince for a Day sticker, and a certificate. Fireworks went off at the same time. It was very cool, and he wants to try everytime we go now. :mickey:

candleshoe
03-20-2010, 11:27 PM
The kids can spend hours in "Poohs Thoughtful Spot" across from the ride- we have to drag them out of there eventually but it's a great break for us because there's only one way in or out so we can let them run around without being right next to them at all times.

Before we had kids, we loved to go over to Tom Sawyer's Island, grab a root beer float at Aunt Polly's, and just sit on the rocking chairs and watch the people across the water...very relaxing and decent spot to see the parade without the crowds too.

We always stop at "Ice Station Cool" or whatever it's called now I forget and sample all the soda's from around the world- and of course try to sucker a newbie into taking a big gulp of the Beverly (which I actually like, for the record.)

Can't go wrong with resort hopping- the Floridian lobby is awesome!

The Candy lady, as my sons call her, at EPCOT is a frequent do. Be there way ahead and in front- she takes note of who is waiting there when she gets there and usually gives her candy out to those who seem to have been there the longest. We took a picture of her with our boys every year we went- one trip after the show we showed her the pictures and gave her copies. Even though she was done, and she never does this, she stayed an extra 10 minutes to make a candy animal for each of our boys- we were very touched!