PDA

View Full Version : Volunteering today for GAD to earn my Park ticket.

disneydoug
02-24-2010, 07:18 AM
I will be assisting at an assisted care home--possibly calling games of Bingo

tys_mommy
02-24-2010, 08:02 AM
That sounds awesome - I wish that was an option near me. I haven't found any opportunities near me that interests me and since we don't plan to go until November I doubt I take advantage of this opportunity. We do other volunteering as a family so we've accomplished the important thing - giving back to our community.

coneygoil
02-24-2010, 08:54 AM
My parents did the volunteer for a day. They picked up litter after a Mardi Gras parade. They said it only took 3 hours and was fun because they got to watch the parade!

disneydoug
02-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Helped with bingo at an assisted care home. the people were so precious.

forever a child
02-25-2010, 08:41 AM
The Disney GAD Volunteer I had come in yesterday to help write Thank You notes to our Donors spend more time on her cell phone than volunteering!:shake: What a sad excuse for a volunteer! We are sending teams to Haiti to help people have clean drinking water and apparently she found so little value in that that she couldn't spend more time working for her 4 hours than chatting on the phone! If there are any more volunteers like that out there...please stay at home!

Jennifer_and_Chris
02-25-2010, 10:33 AM
We are making blankets for a shelter and survival kits for a battered women/children safe haven.

I wanted my kids to put some thought and effort into the activity instead of going to ___ place for 2 hours to do something. At their age, they love making things and using their creativity more than going to a strange place that feels like an "errand"to them. They love giving presents to others.

I know its so sad that some people these days can't put the cell phone/ipod/tv/ect down for even a few hours. Its amazing how kids seem not be able to function without some electronic simulation! - where their concepts of some things are so superficial. Face to face conversation and good old SILENCE has become an ancient skill.

To the OP - have fun!! Bingo is a great game.