PDA

View Full Version : GAD 'wrinkle'?

disneydoug
02-24-2010, 07:15 AM
On another site I read that a person wanted to use their free voucher to upgrade to an AP or multi day ticket and couldn't because they needed to have already paid for a ticket for that day and then they could upgrade. I wanted to buy the AP the day that I arrive and use the voucher to get $79 off the price. That had been my understanding previously. Anyone know for sure? Thanks.

BigRedDad
02-24-2010, 07:47 AM
I think the value of the GAD voucher is $0, not the price of a single day ticket. If this was the case, people would sign up for 6 wimpy GAD opportunities to get APs. I mean really wimpy. There are several 1-2 hour volunteer opportunities in my area. I could kick out 5 of those in less than a week. It would amount to $50 per hour at least. I think that goes against the purpose of GAD.

tys_mommy
02-24-2010, 07:55 AM
I've read of other people upgrading their GAD tickets - I think the key is that you have to activate the ticket first (enter a park) and then do your upgrade to cash in on it's value - this is just from what I've read from others.

mermaidmarian
02-24-2010, 09:23 AM
Here is the Disney FAQ that addresses this question: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/disneyparks/en_US/WhatWillYouCelebrate/index?name=Give-A-Day-Get-A-Disney-Day-Terms-Conditions-FAQs#groupFive

"May I upgrade my free one day ticket to an Annual Pass or multi-day ticket?

Yes, you may upgrade the free ticket to another ticket type of greater value within the applicable upgrade window. However, you are responsible for the incremental cost and the new ticket may only be used by you. No changes or refunds will be given. The value of the free ticket may not be used to combine or upgrade with a separate single or multi-day ticket."

disneydoug
02-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Bigreddad--no one may earn more than ONE ticket. You can't get a weeks worth of tickets for an individual. My question was answered. It is worth $79.00 and can be used to offset multi-day and APs. have a great day.

CleveRocks
02-24-2010, 11:50 AM
I think the value of the GAD voucher is $0, not the price of a single day ticket. If this was the case, people would sign up for 6 wimpy GAD opportunities to get APs. I mean really wimpy. There are several 1-2 hour volunteer opportunities in my area. I could kick out 5 of those in less than a week. It would amount to $50 per hour at least. I think that goes against the purpose of GAD.The other reason this wouldn't apply is because tickets can only be upgraded on a one-for-one basis. No one can take several tickets and combine them into one larger upgraded ticket.

Disney is perfectly cool with people upgrading the GAD ticket. Perhaps the OP misread what was written, or else what was written was a misunderstanding of the rule. Disney's rule states that the GAD can be upgraded, but that it has to be used first to enter a park, and the upgrade must be done on that same day. However, there have been anecdotal reports of people being able to upgrade the ticket right there at the ticket booth (where they turn in their voucher), rather than having to use the ticket first and then upgrading later that same day.

GloMonkey
02-24-2010, 06:44 PM
What difference does it make to upgrade before you enter the gate or after? Ok if it makes Mickey Mouse happy for me to enter the park THEN upgrade the ticket then I will. The only difference I may see is, if they scan the voucher at the gate, take the paper THEN hand you an actual ticket, you then take that actual ticket to upgrade. I guess when they scan the bar code on the back of the ticket it would come up with the price of the actual ticket. Maybe it's just a paperwork thing