PDA

View Full Version : How much Marvel at Universal?

dani226
02-23-2010, 01:20 PM
My soon to be 3yo son is a huge superheroes fan, particularly Spider-Man and his nemeses:) I know there's a Spider-man coaster at Universal, but he's too small for that. Are there any other Marvel attractions/characters that would make it worth taking my 3yo son there? Thanks!

NJGIRL
02-23-2010, 02:54 PM
The Spiderman attraction at Universal is not a roller coaster. It's a family ride but you must be at least 40" to ride it. It is a vehicle ride, simulator, and it's 3D. There's really nothing I can compare it to to explain it more. The other Marvel rides are the Hulk Rollercaoster, Dr Dooms Fearfall, Storm Force Spinners, none of which are suitable for a three year old. I think the Spiderman attraction is probably the tamest of them all.

IOA does however have plenty to do for kids. A whole Dr Seuss land, a Jurassic Park Play Area, a popeye boat and a few shows.

DVC2004
02-23-2010, 03:24 PM
NJ Girl is right- lots of the Marvel themed attractions are for bigger people. I think the Spiderman attraction has a 40 inch height requirement, that is probably the smallest height requiirement out of all of the Marvel Rides. There are Character meet n greets and there was a Marvel Super Heros parade, too. Lots of good stuff in Suess Land for little ones.

MY guy when he was 4 he loved Spiderman. HE was thrilled that he got to meet him at Universal!

tyandskyesmom
02-23-2010, 04:12 PM
We were last there when Tyler was 2...he was too small for most things at that point...and he was a bigger 2.

We vowed to not waste money again until her was old/big enough to enjoy it. When he was, Skye came along so we waited some more. She is almost 6 and just made around 41 inches so we are now contemplating another go in the near future.

So I guess all of that was to say that depending on your son's height and willingness to ride, there might not be enough to make the trip worth it right now.

But that is all up to you and what you think your family can get out of it...

kakn7294
02-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Last time we were at IOA, the Marvel section had a "parade" several times a day - Marvel Heros Captain America, Wolverine, Cyclops, Rogue, and Storm rode quads while very loud music played and extremely loud sirens wailed. They did a corny little show of arriving, having defeated the bad guys, then stood along the street for meet 'n greets. Spiderman had a dedicated meet 'n greet like Mickey does in Toontown. There are 4 attractions in that section, height restrictions are listed: Spiderman (40"), Dr Doom's Fearfall (52"), Storm Force Accelatron (48"), and Incredible Hulk Coaster (54"). The Spiderman ride is a dark ride in 3-D. The best description I can come up with is you ride in a vehicle which travels along the track like Dinosaur but it has 3-D simulator movies like Star Tours. It's an awesome attraction! The theming of the whole Marvel area is stunning for any superhero fan - I took TONS of pictures! We were also able to have breakfast with Spiderman at Confisco Grille located at the end of Port of Entry but I don't know if they still do that. Basically, I found much of IOA to be unsuitable for small children - our youngest DD was 5 at the time and couldn't ride probably about 30 - 50% of the attractions. Of what she could and did ride, she only liked the Dr. Seuss stuff.

dani226
02-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks everyone! DS would so LOVE to meet Spider-man, but I don't know if he'd make the height requirement to even ride the ride. Like a couple of you said, I'm not sure the parade and meet and greet are enough to justify the admission cost for the 3 of us. Plus, it's his first Disney trip, so he'll have plenty to do. I guess we'll wait....boys love their superheros for while, right!

tyandskyesmom
02-24-2010, 01:31 PM
...boys love their superheros for while, right!

Oh, ya...and it just gets worse as they get older...I have 40 year old at home who still loves 'em!

kakn7294
02-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Oh, ya...and it just gets worse as they get older...I have 40 year old at home who still loves 'em!Me too! Mine's 41. We went to the character breakfast with Spiderman for HIS birthday. Sherry, we would soooooo get along!