PDA

View Full Version : Pop Century OR POFQ?

apequet
02-22-2010, 09:26 PM
HELP!! I just can't decide!

We've only been to Disney once (Dec 2007). We stayed at ASmovies (Toy Story section) and it was great. We loved the themes and food quart. This time, I want to stay some where different, but I can't decide if we should up grade to a Moderate or stay at a value price and try Pop Century. It's $400 difference to stay at POFQ...is it really worth it? Would we be better off spending that $$ towards a dining plan? (Although, I'm keeping my fingers crossed they offer free dining at this time, like they did last year :fingers:) We are also going during Pop Warner week, which is the same week we went last time and didn't have any problems @ AS Movies. Not sure if this will be an issue. I'm freaking out, b/c I need to decide so I can book my vacation!! Why does Disney give us SO many choices!!:confused:

gollybass
02-22-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm currently in exactly the same boat as you! Just can't decide whether or not to splash out in the hopes some fantastic discount comes along!

badkitty
02-23-2010, 01:52 AM
Howdy!

These two resorts offer two completely different vacations. In my experience, Pop Century is quite large and very busy. POFQ is small and relaxing. For me, it all depends on how much time I want to spend and the resort and what I want to do there. I think the pool at POFQ is amazing and you have the boat transport to DTD. Pop Century is definitely cheaper.

How long are you staying? Can you split your trip and stay 1/2 at Pop and 1/2 at POFQ?

tadshome
02-23-2010, 02:24 AM
I have stayed at both and loved them. As previously said Pop is very big and POFQ is very quiet and small. My preference would be POFQ because of the boat ride to DTD but would happily stay in either :mickey:

crazygoalie39
02-23-2010, 02:31 AM
Personally, I would spend the money on the DP, rather than the resort, if I had to choose. But, if you get the DP for free, then it comes down to how much time you actually spend at your resort and if you're willing to spend money on something you don't use that much. To us, it is now that we've gone multiple times. POFQ would not be my moderate of choice however. We had a marvelous time at CSR and absolutely love going to POR just to hang out. :mickey:

Bass T-bone
02-23-2010, 08:44 AM
We are also going during Pop Warner week, which is the same week we went last time and didn't have any problems @ AS Movies. Not sure if this will be an issue.

I would say that his would VERY MUCH be an issue! Your best bet is the French Quarter.

DVC2004
02-23-2010, 08:45 AM
POR is very nice. I think if given the choice and you can afford it- choose POR.

apequet
02-23-2010, 11:49 AM
for Pop Warner week...aren't they usually at the All Stars?

Gosh, it's still killing me to spend the extra $$, but we deffinatly want a different experience than our last trip.

HoosierDisneyFan
02-23-2010, 07:18 PM
We love POFQ. Never stayed at Pop Century. One of the reasons we select a moderate resort is to avoid the many youth football, cheerleading, soccer, baseball, chess teams. They generally stay at the Value resorts. Nothing wrong with kids (we are at Disney of course!!) but I would prefer a little more quite when I return from the parks.

bruin1344
02-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Stayed at both, POFQ is better than POP for these reasons:

-Quieter and less crowded in the pool, pool area, bus waits, and on the bus itself
-Theming
-Decrease in screaming bratty children
-Eye soar view of abandoned legendary years

Although I am negative about POP in this post, I would defintely stay at POP again if i am looking to save some $.

biodtl
02-23-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm not one to hang around the room, so values have always been fine for me.

But (and you know there's a but), last trip, we stayed at POFQ and LOVED it. It wasn't as luxurious as a deluxe, but it was way cheaper, and still has such a different feel as a value. Even though we didn't spend much time at the resort, the time we did spend there was so comfortable, between the small size, theming and shaded walkways.

That said - if it came down to the dining plan or the "and more" add-on, or maybe even park hoppers, we would easily downgrade to a value and be perfectly happy.

disneyers
02-23-2010, 10:30 PM
I've never stayed at POFQ, have stayed at POP.

It is my understanding that the Pop Warner kids stay at the All Stars and that the "overflow" and/or parents of Pop Warner kids who want to fork over the extra money stay at one of the French Quarter hotels (I am sorry, but I don't know which one - I'm leaning toward PORS?)

I too think if you can spend the extra $$ and want a different experience - go with POFQ. I bet you'll love it!

If they don't offer free dining, they'll at LEAST offer a room discount and the discount will usually be more for a Moderate than for a Value (35% off a Mod vs. 25% off a Value.) So you might get your $400 back either way! :mickey:

wdwnomad
02-23-2010, 10:31 PM
This is a tough one to answer. If money is the deciding factor then personally I would take the dining plan over the POFQ. However, if it wasn't I'd stay at POFQ. The resort is great. It is beautiful and very compact. Any room is a great location because they all are close to the main building and pool. Both food courts have thier pluses. POFQ has beingets! I thought the transportation at POFQ was way better than Pop. Also, and I think most importantly, POFQ had a much more laid back feel to it than Pop. Just that sense made it relaxing to come back to after a long day in the parks. To me, I got the feeling I was still at the parks at Pop.

luvkatiebug
02-24-2010, 10:08 AM
In general the school / student groups do NOT stay at POP. I know this because I do a school field trip with my students and I asked about Pop one time, and they said that they don't do school groups there. (Now that doesn't mean they don't have some overflow... but in general I think that is the plan)

With that said, we were thinking about POFQ when we were going in late May, but now that we are looking at the week before Christmas, the cost has increased quite a bit, and we will probably do Pop Century. We stayed there on our first family trip with just my oldest and it was great. The only draw back for us is now that we are a family of 4, sleeping arrangements can be difficult with my 6'4 DH. (No one wants to sleep with Daddy!) I think we will save the money for dining and stay at POP. We are hoping for a good deal at that time (wishful thinking, I know!)
Have a great one!:mickey:

beachezncream
02-24-2010, 11:02 AM
POFQ :number1: I don't have any great advice, I just thought I'd cast my vote. I much prefer it to POP. The atmosphere is great. its in a beautiful area, and you can eliminate one bus ride :cool: by taking a boat to DTD. no where near the convenience of the Epcot area resorts, but still really nice.