PDA

View Full Version : Epcot - what can't we miss?

tinxmom
02-21-2010, 12:13 PM
6th trip to WDW with my kids - still don't get the Epcot thing. What are the worthwhile rides? We always do Soarin' and have done Test Track. What about the Imagination ride? Energy? Tried them years ago, but not recently. Epcot just seems sooo big, that we give up and go back to MK and DHS where all is familiar. Would love a way to try to tackle Epcot this time!

Disney4us2
02-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Epcot is one of our favorite parks. DD loves Journey into your Imagination with Figment. Our first time there I got her a passport to get stamped in each country. Although it took 2 trips we finished it up. There are the Kim Possible Missions in WS, something we will do on our next visit. Besides Test Track we also like the boat ride in The Land. Another area was The Living Seas, don't know if it is still called that though. There is a Finding Nemo attraction there where you ride in a clam shell. Dont' forget about Spaceship Earth. Another on of our favorites.

We usually spending most of our time there, between AK, MK and once/twice at DHS.

jmj18
02-21-2010, 12:56 PM
I would agree....Epcot is our favorite park. My children are 6 and 9 and they both LOVE it. They too enjoy getting their "passports" stamped as well as making the masks in each of the countries.

As for rides, we enjoy all (except test track). Love the updates to Spaceship Earth. I have to admit.....Energy and Imagination are my favorite. I can't get enough of Ellen and Figment!

Food wise, we LOVE Canada, Mexico and France.

For us, Epcot is where we spend most of our time.

Enjoy!

SBETigg
02-21-2010, 01:26 PM
We take two days (or more, we go back) to tackle Epcot. It's a big park, lots of walking. Some people do Future World one day, and World Showcase another. I prefer to think of it as more of a figure eight- do the right half of Epcot's Future World and then the left half of World Showcase one day. The next, do the left of Future World and the right of World Showcase. That way, it mixes up the thrills of FW with the browsing and tasting of WS. But you're still not going to see and do it all in two days.

I wouldn't miss:
Spaceship Earth
Soarin'
Living with the Land
Living Seas
Journey into Your Imagination
Mission: Space
Test Track
Gran Fiesta Tour
Maelstrom
American Adventure
Exploring and tasting at all WS countries

And the rest, like Universe of Energy, Innoventions, Reflections of China, Impressions of France, etc... I try to fit in as we can.

Superzeus84
02-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Living with the seas especially turtle talk since you have kids, they will love it. Living with the Land is very informative and neat. And dont miss maelstorm at norway inthe world showcase.:thumbsup:

Superzeus84
02-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Living with the seas especially turtle talk since you have kids, they will love it. Living with the Land is very informative and neat. And dont miss maelstorm at norway inthe world showcase.:thumbsup:

I meant the seas with nemo and friends, my bad.

wdwfansince75
02-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Our kids and grandkids do most of their shopping at Mouse Gears...and DGS#1 could spend hours at Innoventions....All of us love Soaring, Nemo, Test Track, Spaceship Earth....and most of us love Mission Space....Those who remember miss Horizons...We also enjoy the various WS shows....and the American Adventure....

We have done July 4th at EPCOT at least twice....Something special about the day there...and then back to Bay Lake viewing spots for the 4th Fireworks...

Also enjoy the various food venues there...try to do the Biergarten each trip...and LeCellier....and snacks between meals...and all the shows...Guess I really enjoy EPCOT....could never be bored there.

Oh, did I mention the pistachio gelato in Italy....or that Tangerine slushy in Morocco....?

Or the short walk to Beaches and Cream?

coneygoil
02-21-2010, 05:07 PM
There's rides at Epcot? ;)

Seriously, there's only a couple thrill rides there and the rest are calm but a lot of fun! For me, exploring the World Showcase is one of my favorite things to do! I use to think it was so boring and dull as a teenager then I started to really enjoy it as I turned about 18 and now I stay in WS like half-a-day! I guess you appreciate things better when you get older. Anyways, there's a lot to see in WS. There's like random performances that happen through out the day, a lot of them pretty darn funny. Off Kilter is TEH BOMB! They're my fave band ever. Don't miss Maelstrom in Norway. It's a fun little ride. There's just so much to do in WS. Take a little time to go exploring and see what you can find :mickey:

PopeCharming
02-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Epcot is wonderful-- my favorite park of the lot! I thought so when I was 6, and I still think so at 26!

But, as a word of advice, its not a park that can be thought of as a 'checklist' of must-see attractions. The most enjoyable moments you will have at Epcot will probably happen while you stroll around Innoventions, chat with cast members at the world showcase countries, or spontaneously run into some street entertainment.

Having said that, though, I do think Soarin' is one of the most enjoyable experiences one can have...just get there first thing in the morning, or get a fastpast! Impressions de France, Spaceship Earth, and Living with the Land are highlights for me, but this is about as subjective as it gets!

SAHDad
02-21-2010, 07:34 PM
My "must do" for Epcot is a pretty short list, actually.

1) Ride the orange version of Mission: Space a couple of times.
2) Get a Guiness or three in England.

(In that order. It doesn't work too well the other way around.)

There are a lot of other things I try to get to - Innoventions with the kids, Test Track (esp now that DS is big enough to ride it), Soarin', Turtle Talk, Spaceship Earth, the ride at the Land, as many of the pavilions in the world showcase as I can hit, etc. It's probably my favorite park, and I could easily spend a couple days there each trip.

Lakin
02-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Spend the beginning of your day in Future World. Make sure you shop at MouseGears, and ride Test Track and Soarin' since you like those. Mission: Space is a very cool simulator ride to try at least once. Also make sure to go to Innoventions. If you have lots of time to kill, or if your piggies are tired, ride Universe of Energy.

Once you've done everything you've wanted to do in Future World, go to World Showcase and just walk slowly and enjoy the scenery. There are many characters/attractions/shows that you could run into. Then, get a seat for Illuminations. :]

bruin1344
02-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Must Sees:
Soarin
Spaceship Earth
American Adventure Movie
Test Track
Mission Space (at least try green one first if you're worried about mission space)

If you have time and there are small wait times:
Maelstrom
Living with the Land
Living Seas
Honey I Shrunk Audience
Gran Fiesta Tour
Innoventions

Skip:
Canada, France and China Movies
Universe of Energy

eandrsmom
02-21-2010, 08:23 PM
We try to save two full days for Epcot. My kids love Epcot. Of course there are rides, but the shows are good too. We never miss watching them feed the marine life in The Living Seas. My kids are amazed when they watch the Chinese acrobats. A lot of times there is live music ouside of Japan or a street performer in Italy. Epcot gives us a chance to relax. Plus, we "snack around the world" for dinner on one night so that we can try a little from each country.

crazygoalie39
02-21-2010, 10:19 PM
EVERYTHING!!!
Epcot is our favorite park, other than MK of course andSpaceship Earth is my favorite ride in all of WDW. I would suggest treating Epcot as 2 different parks and take 2 days. I would say my not misses are every ride. :mickey:

Melanie
02-21-2010, 10:26 PM
You didn't mention the ages of your kids, but without a doubt, do the Kim Possible missions!!!!!! So much fun, and brings a whole new dimension to the World Showcase.

tinxmom
02-22-2010, 07:11 AM
Kids are 18, 18, 15, 13 and 9. I figure the older ones will go off on their own a lot this trip. Heard about Kim Possible - what age would that appeal to?

Ms. Mode
02-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Soarin'

Jennifer_and_Chris
02-22-2010, 12:52 PM
We saw alot of the older kids helping younger kids do the Kim Possible Mission. In actuality, we saw a large number of adults doing the mission w/o children! Great activity to bring the kids together.

For us, we love Epcot. it does take 2 days to see and do it all. We've always tried to do FW in the morning (get there first thing!) and then WS in the late afternoon, early evening. If anyone is into photography in your family, it is a great park for finding photo gems! Each country has such great theming and wonderful nooks and crannies.

You didn't mention when you are going. We go every fall and one of the reasons why is the Food and Wine Festival. We will be going in October again this year and will NOT miss it this time! My parents will be watching the kids as DH and I have a "date" night.

wmdaddy
02-22-2010, 01:01 PM
I find the theming and atmosphere of World Showcase to be the high point of Epcot.

Gran Fiesta Tour
Maelstrom
Reflections of China
Miyuki (candy artist in Japan)
Sergio (Italian juggler/mime)
American Adventure
Impressions de France
Server de Amusement (French balancing act)
Off Kilter (Canadian rock band)
O' Canada

The best way to tackle World Showcase is to pick up a times guide when you get into the park. Make sure you are in WS at 11:00 when it opens. Look at the times guide before getting over there, check out times of the street performers, and work out a schedule that will allow to see them all. Also, make a lunch reservation for one of the WS restaurants in advance.

As for Future World, be there at opening, get a fastpass for Soarin, run right over to Test Track. See Seas with Nemo, Imagination, Living with the Land, use FP for Soarin, go on Mission Space if you want to get sick, then head over to World Showcase. Hit Spaceship Earth on the way out.

BigThunderFan
02-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Kids are 18, 18, 15, 13 and 9. I figure the older ones will go off on their own a lot this trip. Heard about Kim Possible - what age would that appeal to?

My son was 7 and loved the Kim Possible missions. I am 33 and on multiple occasions wanted to grab the "Kimmunicator" and run off and do my own mission, it was so COOL! I highly recommend it, and I'm sure the older kids will like it too. :thumbsup:

princessgirls
02-22-2010, 01:16 PM
We love Epcot for many reasons...
Here are a few:
Innoventions. My girls could spend hours here.
Mouse Gears Favorite shop in WDW
Soarin' Best attraction
Sunshine Seasons in the Land Favorite Counter Service
The dining around the World Showcase
The countries that are represented in the showcase have shows and performers. I always enjoy the Chinese acrobats and the Off Kilter band in Canada.
GREY GOOSE SLUSH My husband declared that the best slushie ever!
Illuminations~Reflections of Earth the best fireworks laser and pyrotechnics show anywhere.
Epcot has a lot of interesting neat stuff in it, not just rides.
Julie:mickey:

linedropper
02-22-2010, 09:38 PM
We love the following!

1. Soarin
2. Crush
3. Dinner at Le Celler
4. kim possible
5. test track
6. Having fish and chips and sitting in the courtyard in England

drosenbe
02-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Epcot has always been my DW and i's favorite park, from when we went the first time the year it opened. Over the years, it has lost some of its original intentions (to help people 'Discover' the world) but in other ways, it has gotten better, by being more entertaining. With the exception of Journey into Imagination, which they totally ruined, each replacement has been the equal or better than what it replaced (IMO).

Our children also have always loved EPCOT, probably because we loved it so much and showed them how to enjoy it.

The most overlooked attractions in WS, are the live performances in each pavilion. These are what sets Epcot apart from most other theme parks. Please get a time schedule, and make sure that you see the World Showcase Players in England, and the Voices of Liberty, and the Tumblers in Moroco. If you have kids, make sure that you take advantage of the Passports. And the KimPossible adventures are great, too. And also don't forget that each country hosts characters that are related to the country (e.g. Belle and the Beast in France). There is often little or no wait to see them.

If you are looking for thrill rides, you are in the wrong place (try Universal...their "rides" are great). If you are looking to immerse yourself in a chance to visit the world for a few hours, then there is no place like EPCOT.

crltkcagle
02-23-2010, 07:53 PM
[quote=coneygoil;2019586]
For me, exploring the World Showcase is one of my favorite things to do! I use to think it was so boring and dull as a teenager then I started to really enjoy it as I turned about 18 and now I stay in WS like half-a-day! I guess you appreciate things better when you get older.

Can you please explain this to my husband? He hates touring the countries and if it weren't for me my family would skip world showcase completly! Its one of my favorite parts of Disney world!

phlo8810
02-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Soarin' is the obvious choice. But usually one of my favorite days every trip is spent between the rose & crown and the british invasion. Not the best beatles cover band but the atmosphere there is ridiculous so if you like the beatles they are a must do

Tink#64
02-23-2010, 11:01 PM
We love Epcot! My DS's are 12 & 14 & it was our very 1st WDW park when they were only 4 & 6 and we all fell in love! It is so unique! We enjoy all of the above mentioned attractions, TT & Soarin being our fav's but DS 12 still really loves JITIF! There are so many gorgeous photo ops in Epcot! After our day in FW we always go out & ride the monorail, such a nice ride & what a different way to see Epcot!

We spend a lot of time in both Innoventions East & West & one thing on our must do list is to see the Jammitors! We love them! We love a casual afternoon strolling around WS, shopping, snacking, taking pix, it's just such a nice break from the hustle & bustle of the other parks & your experiencing something you only can in WDW's WS, visiting one country right after the other!

We too do 2 days in Epcot, day 1 in FW & then we sleep in one day & hang out by the pool at the resort & start around 2 - 3 with the WS & finish there with IllumiNatins! It's my absolute fav night time event in WDW! :thumbsup:

lightyearfan
02-24-2010, 09:17 AM
well when me dw and dd use to go we really didn't get the chance to really enjoy epcot, but since me and dd have been going on our own without dd (all grown up now), we feel like this has become one of our favorite parks. i guess with dd all she wanted to do of course was ride the rides, which me and dw enjoy, but now we go at our own pace walk the entire park and enjoy it more now then before, we found that it is a park that does offer allot more than people give it credit for, epcot sometimes gets a bad rap, and we uesed to be in that catagory, but like i said for strange reason we really enjoy now and do it at least 2x per trip, and spend the whole day there. we will tackle future world first, take a break at the coca cola cool zone, and as soon as were done we start our little walk to world showcase, really going into every country to see the great detail that went into making them just right. and of course the meals mmm how can we leave them out some of the best TS resturants in all of WDW sit in world showcase, along with some good attractions as well below is my list of must does:

Spaceship Earth/ Soarin/ Test Track/ Mission Space/ The living seas/ Journey Into imagination/ the land/ canada vison / great amercian showcase/ china vison/ malestrom

i'm probably forgetting a few.

Victor

SillySymphony
02-25-2010, 10:13 PM
There is another side to Epcot that doesn't get enuff good press- the many "themed" performances which take place in the various pavilions of the WS countries. From "Off Kilter" in Canada to Mariachi Cobre in Mexico, there are really astounding concerts, theatre bits and performances that, in many respects, outshine the attractions you mat have become accustomed too.

Personally, I have enjoyed World Showcase with my kids when they were as young as 6 and 13. Miyuki (sp) the "candy lady" in Japan absolutely mesmerizes the crowd.

websitekid
02-26-2010, 08:23 PM
As far as Epcot dining goes, anyone have suggestions to an eating venue that would serve healthier food with less Sodium and fat? Something for the more.. health oriented dieter that wouldn't break the wallet?

SBETigg
02-26-2010, 10:19 PM
As far as Epcot dining goes, anyone have suggestions to an eating venue that would serve healthier food with less Sodium and fat? Something for the more.. health oriented dieter that wouldn't break the wallet?

I think Sunshine Seasons (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/menus/epcot/sunshineseasons.asp) in the Land Pavilion would have some good options for you. I prefer World Showcase, but a lot of the choices are of the more unhealthy variety. Perhaps Yakitori House in Japan or Tangierine Cafe in Morocco. But Sunshine Seasons is probably the best bet.

kemps@wdw
02-26-2010, 10:23 PM
Try 'em again. Lots of updates. Don't miss the standard faves. Kidcot stops and passport stampng are great. Try taking one afternoon/evening eating and drinking your way "around the World". You'd be suprised @ the lushious snacks you'll enjoy, and end the evening w/Illuminations. :thumbsup:

LoriMistress
02-27-2010, 03:23 AM
Epcot is one of our favorite parks to go to. On our last trip, we probably hopped back to Epcot at least four times after we hit another park earlier in the day. We still didn't do everything that Epcot has to offer.

websitekid
03-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the help with the eating venues. Sounds like I'll be sticking to more Asian cuisine at Epcot, and I look forward to trying the Sunshine place when we get there.

ehaimann236
05-16-2010, 09:05 PM
6th trip to WDW with my kids - still don't get the Epcot thing. What are the worthwhile rides? We always do Soarin' and have done Test Track. What about the Imagination ride? Energy? Tried them years ago, but not recently. Epcot just seems sooo big, that we give up and go back to MK and DHS where all is familiar. Would love a way to try to tackle Epcot this time!

A favorite of Many and a worst for Some. Journey into Imagination with Figment!

Fastpasssteve
05-16-2010, 09:31 PM
wmdaddy above has the right idea for your family, I think. You seem to be a "check off the list" kind of person, so perhaps the daily schedule will give you specific performances to aim for. I love the Celtic band, Off-Kilter, as well as the Beatles tribute band in Great Britain pavillion.

EPCOT is less about thrill rides and more about exploring. If you are more of a hunter and less of a gatherer, EPCOT may frustrate you. I suggest that you relax just let things to happen there. (Did I mention there are several places in World Showcase that serve great adult beverages?)

cer
05-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Some of the best things for kiddos in Epcot I have experienced is the "Candy Lady" in Japan. Another highlight in the China Pavilion are the acrobats...

Of course the rides previously mentioned in Future World are great for kids, but in Innovations there is an attraction called Sum of All Thrills where you can design your own ride and then ride it. Great fun and based on the height of the children, the ride intensity is adjusted accordingly.

5MemphisTiggers
05-17-2010, 10:04 AM
I agree with some of the other posters -- for me, Epcot is less about rides and more about exploring the countries in WS. Test Track, Mission Space, SSE, Soarin', etc. are all great fun, but I have just as much fun exploring the shops and sampling the foods from around the world. The different acts at each country are also fun -- Chinese acrobats, Off-Kilter, British Invasion, drummers in Japan, on and on and on . . .

The Kim Possible WS Adventure is a lot of fun for the kids, and it gets them to explore the different countries. Our adventure was in China last time and all 3 of my kids (between 10 and 18) had a great time finding the clues.

Don't give up on Epcot! It's a great park.

brownie
05-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Epcot is our favorite park and here's my list of must-do's for our trip later this year:

Spaceship Earth
Test Track
Mission: Space
Turtle Talk with Crush
Living with the Land
Soarin'
Journey into your Imagination with Figment
Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros
Maelstrom
Wonders of China
The American Adventure
Impressions de France
O Canada

PopeCharming
05-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Great question! I would argue that the atmosphere and environment of Epcot outweighs any single attraction. In other words, don't view the park as a checklist of rides to see, but as an experience to savor.

The World Showcase is emblematic of this. There's very few rides and a small handful of films, which may make it difficult to visit with children. For myself, I was probably about 16 or 17 before I really could appreciate the World Showcase.

So, make sure you leave plenty of time for strolling around the Showcase, doing exhibits at Innoventions, and even having some friendly discussion with cast members from other countries. Having said that, though, the attractions that I consider 'Not To Be Missed' are:

-Spaceship Earth
-Soarin'
-Test Track
-Mission: Space (depending on one's motion sensitivity)
-Impressions de France
-Living with the Land

and younger children will no doubt love The Seas with Nemo and Friends.

magicalmom
05-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Epcot isn't about the rides (although they're fun)

It's about new places and new ideas. Work your way through - Get there for EMH, or stay for EMH in the evening. Take your time. Eat and drink your way around WS, and enjoy the exhibits. Talk to the CMs. Don't miss the street performers!

Don't miss the performances in FW, either - Jammitors, etc. Don't skip Innoventions!

Epcot is about brain thrills more than body thrills. It's the trip around the world you can't afford, or the trip into the future that isn't possible yet. It's really worth the time and trouble!

TikiLounger
05-19-2010, 02:17 PM
I just voted for Epcot as my favorite in another thread...so...here are my picks:

Spaceship Earth
Soarin
Test Track
Mission Space (orange...if you dare)
Maelstrom
The Mexico Pavillion (great shopping...great food...great Margaritas)
Illuminations
Honey I Shrunk the Audience
and...pick a pearl in Japan