PDA

View Full Version : Magic Kingdom closing at 5pm on 5/16?

Tygger7
02-21-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm just curious...does anyone know if there is anything special going on that is causing MK to close at 5pm on Sunday, May 16th? It's going to be our first full day at WDW for our upcoming vacation, and we had planned on spending the day at MK...but I'm a little nervous that something major might be going on that would cause the park to be more packed than normal.

Joannelet
02-21-2010, 10:04 AM
hmmm I'm not sure. It does look like that is the last day of the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival and it also looks like something with the Ironman race will be going on that weekend around Fort Wilderness......maybe they are giving them sometime at MK. I think the kids race is on the 15th and the adults are on the 16th.....

Tygger7
02-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Darn it, no matter how hard I try to miss it, I always end up arriving on the day of the Iron Man...it makes checking in a nightmare. Oh well, we'll spend the morning at MK, then head over to the Boardwalk for the evening. Thanks for the info!!

02-25-2010, 04:26 AM
Grad Night.

Tygger7
02-25-2010, 08:19 AM
I double checked, and it's not Grad Night. The last date for Grad Night is May 1, so I know that's not it. I checked the IronMan event site but I don't see anything specific announced about a "special time" or anything either. I still think it is probably related to the IronMan, but can't find any "official" announcement about it.

BigThunderFan
02-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Either way, I would think (in my unprofessional opinion) that MK would be much less crowded on this day if it closes at 5pm. From our experience in the past if a park has a super early close like this people avoid it!

MarkC
02-25-2010, 12:42 PM
My only other thought is that a corporation is renting it out for the night. One of my best friend has a wife who works for a large corporation in the US. They had their company meeting in Orlando a few years ago and "rented" Magic Kingdom for a few hours-- employees and families only. Hate to think what that would cost but that's the only feasible explanation I have for a 5pm closing. That would cut into all the dinners at restaurants, parades, fireworks, shopping, etc.

baby minnie's mommy
02-25-2010, 08:26 PM
I noticed a D23 event is scheduled at WDW for the 15th and 16th. Maybe that has something to do with it. :confused:

betteratmk
02-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Does anyone know when grad night is taking place?:confused:

Tygger7
03-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Disney's Grad Night dates are: April 23rd, 24th, 30th and May 1st, 2010

KylesMom
03-16-2010, 02:39 PM
There's a triathalon being run, beginning at Fort Wilderness as mentioned above. It's extremely likely that something is being held at MK due to the large-name sponsors. You never know, though - it could be D23 as well. I'd guess, at any rate, that travel around property that day may be a bit slow.

May 16th - Triathalon (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=166518&highlight=May+16th+Triathalon)

mjm12000
03-18-2010, 06:26 PM
I googled it a while ago when I was booking my trip as I too noticed the early closing and it is because the park is booked for a private event for the big Travel Industry conference that is going on in Orlando, from what I understand there is a big annual travel industry thing that is going on that week and on that night they have the Magic Kingdom booked.

Imagineer1981
03-19-2010, 04:11 PM
ya, we noticed that too. We are still doing MK that day, then heading to DHS since its EMH that night

trackbarroness
03-21-2010, 04:57 AM
There are 4 nights that month that the park closes at 7pm not 5pm. Grad nights are coming which makes it look like 2 weekends the park closes at 7. I've never seen the park close at 5pm for any party night. Where did you all see a 5pm closing for the Magic Kingdom? Just curious on where you saw the time info.
I just saw the date in question and I'm like wow 5pm closing? I'll find out and get back to ya as soon as I find out the answer.

betteratmk
03-21-2010, 09:00 AM
:( Does anyone know where Grad Night on the 23rd. is taking place? It's our last night in the parks and we're going to Epcot!