PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Find a Good Preschool?

mjaclyn
02-21-2010, 12:48 AM
Hi Everyone,
My DD is going to turn 4 in October, and I'm starting to think about looking into a preschool for her. I'm really apprehensive about sending her to school already - she's small for her age and doesn't turn 4 until the end of October...I just don't want her to feel intimidated by the other children if they're bigger than her. Anyway, I haven't decided yet whether or not I'll send her this coming September or next year, but I'd like to start looking into preschools anyway. The problem is, I have no idea how or where to even start looking. I didn't move to this area until I was in high school, so I really don't know where to begin. Can anyone give me some tips on how to look for a good preschool? I don't know what the "norm" is, but I'd like one with a small student-to-teacher ratio and one that will prepare her for Kindergarten. My SIL sent her son to a Montessori school in California, but I'm in New York and the closest Montessori school is almost 30 minutes away. I'd like to be closer than that if possible just in case I have to get her in an emergency. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!!

Rekenna
02-21-2010, 01:01 AM
Hi! My two oldest boys started going to Pre-School when they were 3. IMHO it is never too early for Pre-School, social interaction is extremely important. My boys did 3 days a week when they were 3-4, then 5 days a week all day when they were 4-5. They were ready to begin Kindergarten and did not have any separation issues. On the first day of Kindergarten you could tell the kids who had attended pre-school from those that had not.

Make sure there is a structured schedule, the school should be able to provide a syllabus of the activties for the whole school year at the beginning of the year. Ask about the teachers credentials, do they have any type of certifications? Ask for a referral list of other parents whose children attend the school. What's the lunch situation, do you have to pack their lunch? How do you feel when you go to the school-trust your instincts above all else. Also, does your child feel comfortable when you take a tour of the pre-school or are they getting a bad "vibe"? Keep in mind the most expensive Pre-School is not always the best.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

BigRedDad
02-21-2010, 07:52 AM
You really need to look into the different preschools, talk to other parents, and get as much info as possible. Our DD has been in daycare for almost 4 years now. They have a great preschool program she will be in starting this Summer. There are 5 others within 3 miles of where she is now. Most of them are horrible. We have heard horror stories. One of our friends had their child there and pulled them after two weeks. The kids get dropped off, the "teacher" lets them do what they want until being picked up. The only structure is lunch served at noon and snack at 3PM. Other than that, it is up to the kids what they do.

DisneyLuvRSince76
02-21-2010, 08:14 AM
Hi! I was nervous when I sent my (very small) 3 yr old DS to preschool last year, but I soon realized that I should have sent him when he was 2.

The preschool that DS goes to has 1 teacher & 1 assistant per class - so the student/adult ratio is approximately: (12:2 3's class)(16:2 4's class).

Make sure that you tour a few preschools during class time and talk with the director of the school.

As far as finding a program - I highly recommend finding a NAEYC accredited program. (The National Association for the Education of Young Children)

NAEYC maintains a list of programs that are currently accredited to assist individuals in finding NAEYC-accredited programs in their area.

Good Luck!

TikiGoddess
02-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Ask the kindergarten teachers at the school your daughter will be attending in the future. They usually have a good idea of the preschools in the area and what type of program they run.

Kathy

princessgirls
02-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Preschools in my area are verging on insane...
Open houses have already occured and parents line up at 3am (I'm not kidding, two of my friends have done this) to get their kids into these schools at the time slot they want. It's just crazy.

I sent my girls to the preschool where I went as a child. It was a co-op so parents were very hands on. They were special years.

Check with some of your Mom friends. That's where I find out the best information.
Good Luck!
Julie:mickey:

SBETigg
02-22-2010, 11:35 AM
If there's a college or community college in the area, they often have attached pre-schools that accept kids from the community. It's a place to start. Also, church groups often have recommendations. Even if you don't belong to a particular church, they're usually good places to check for ideas on quality pre-school programs. You could also contact the school system in your area. They might have or know of a program for you.

DisneyDog
02-23-2010, 12:09 PM
My son went to a pre-school that is within the confines of our school district. When I signed him up for elementary school, the school knew nothing about their program at all. I can't say that asking the school would be any help, at least not based on my experience.

I would ask other parents. I would ask the children's librarian at your public library (who very well may visit the various schools for storytimes). But, most importantly, I would make sure that any pre-school you choose has an academic program and is not just all playtime. It will make a huge difference in her readiness for kindergarden.

d_m_n_n
02-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Definitely ask the Kindergarten teachers...they see first-hand the results and will know which preschools prepare the children and which do not. Also, ask a MOMS/MOPS group. They will have children that age so you can get a pretty accuarate opinion of what is currently going on at the school. Make sure you visit the school while it is in session and not just during an open house to get a good feel of the structured and unstructured time.

I want to give another piece of advice as well...DON'T WAIT!!! The first preschool DS was going to go to had a 2 year waiting period (the teacher ended up retiring before DS's year :( ). The second school we signed him up for was filled completely in January with students on a waiting list. I think we may have received a spot due to the fact that my nieces and nephew also attended there, giving us a bit of priority. However, there was one particular school that was still advertising after school had already started (this is the school the teachers I spoke with weren't too excited about). Good schools fill quickly...bad schools don't...

disney obsessed
02-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Hi.
I taught pre-school for five years. My view point may be differant from the others that have already given your their insights. Diversity is a good thing.

I am not a teacher. I have a masters degree in social work. I love kids, have three of my own and find the wonders of life fascinating. This is why I was hired.

It is a play based pre-school. While there is a schedule for the flow of the day and there is a theme, the opportunities that present them- selves during play can be the best teachable moments available. The puzzle Johnny is playing with is covered with animals. What are these animals? What letter do they start with? What do they eat? Where do they live? What colors are they? What is their habitat like? The questions can go on and on. Invite the kids to ask their own questions - but I bet they already are because you have modeled this inquisitive behavior for them. Half of the class is now around you and they want their turn with a differant puzzle. The other teacher in the class is painting, or reading to or singing with the kids. When we clean up, we ask that the same colors go together, or the same shapes or what ever sorting task you would like to give them. Take them on a walk and talk about the differant plants, grasses, trees, birds. How many can you count? I have even taken my Disney maps into the classroom. You cannot imagine the fun classes that have come out of that. Everything from learning how to follow a map to building an airplane from cardboard boxes and traveling to disney. It turns learning into a fun, interactive, age appropriate activity. My second year teaching, I had 12 children in my class and half of them were in the advanced magnet school by 2nd grade.

Maybe the cirriculum and the plans are not the benchmarks for looking at a great preschool. Maybe it is visiting and seeing the children interact with the teachers. Are the children happy? Are the parents happy? Are the teachers loving what they are doing? Get there first thing in the morning and watch how the children and teachers interact. This will tell you alot about the quality of the school. It needs to be about the kids. Please also remember that all children learn at differant paces and develop differantly. At that age we should not be comparing them to each other but asking the best of what they can be on any given day.

Ultimately, we have the best reputation in the area. The wait list is long and it fills up in Jan. and Feb. I agree that you need to start looking early and also, do not be afraid to hold your child back a year if she is a young 4. She will ultimately be more successful because she will be more mature.

Ok I am rambling. Good luck!

SBETigg
02-26-2010, 09:57 PM
My son went to a pre-school that is within the confines of our school district. When I signed him up for elementary school, the school knew nothing about their program at all. I can't say that asking the school would be any help, at least not based on my experience.

I suggested contacting the school system, not asking the schools. This is a very different thing than asking at individual schools. The school department in any area should know about good preschools to recommend, possibly even in the school system. When my kids were little, we paid thousands for a private preschool. No regrets. It was a fabulous program. But we had no idea until my youngest started kindergarten that the school system offered preschool starting at age three- at no cost. It would have been a good option and would have saved us a lot of money, had we known about it. It never hurts to ask the right people (the school dept, listed in your town/city, not the schools-- though it wouldn't hurt to try them, either, maybe).

kcrc
02-28-2010, 12:21 PM
I would echo the sentiments of others. Talk to other parents. Visit several schools. With my kids' preschool, we just "knew" once we walked in. We had visited a few that were very dark and quiet. When we went to the one we chose, there were things the kids had made everywhere. I'm sure you could observe a class (or part of a class) to see how it is run. Again, they should be able to provide you a syllabus. Maybe visit around pick up time, so you can talk to some of the other parents there and hear their comments. Our preschool also had "mommy and me", once a week for 2 year olds. So you actually went to the class with them and participated. But, it gave a good way to see not only my child's class, but everything else that was going on in the school. Trust your gut feeling. You will be fine!