PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on Character meal....

mom2morgan
02-20-2010, 11:20 PM
What we've already done - Cindy's table, Akershus, Chef Mickeys. All a lot of fun, but want to try new, so we'll be doing 2 out of 3 of the following, with my thoughts. Any advice from those who've done it?
1. Park Fare - dinner - characters a little different (stepsisters) which sounds fun since my youngest will be 12. Food looks good - maybe a cut above average for a buffet?
2. Cape May - breakfast - menu looks nice, DH loves smoked salmon! Characters look pretty typical, but seeing them in their beach gear might be different enough to feel like a new experience. (this would be a slam dunk for me if they still had Chip and Dale!!)
3. Tusker House - Donald's breakfast - only place I know of to see Daisy and Donald, which would be neat. I've heard great things about this place, but the menu doesn't immediately appeal to me.

My picks - Park Fare and Cape May. Hubby's picks - doesn't really like character meals much at all, and thinks kids are too old ;-) DD 12 - Park Fare and Tusker House DD 17 - hates seafood but thinks there is enough to eat at any of the three. Not keen on traipsing through Animal Kingdom to get to Tusker. Not keen on morning's in general, LOL....

the LAST dilemma is to maybe skip one of these and do Whispering Canyon. DD 12 thinks that sounds fun, but the rest of us think it sounds WAY intense, and we aren't the kind to want to have to interact. (shy and stage fright, you know ;-)
So ...what would do you think we should do? We've planned all other meals, so we're down to the last 2 decisions out of these 4. :confused:

wdwfansince75
02-21-2010, 07:48 AM
We've never done Cape May, but 1900 Park Faire (any meal) and Donald's Safari Breakfast are favorites. Suggestion for your late riser...Get a late seating at Tusker House...Others can get to AK early, and do a few rides...Late Riser can catch a later bus (with a parent, if that is your druthers), and meet the Early Risers at the Podium.

Not to complicate the planning process, but you may want to consider Garden Grill, in the Land at EPCOT....Character Meal there is in a more private setting, with good food, served family style.

tinxmom
02-21-2010, 07:53 AM
We love the Garden Grill - fun atmosphere (this is the revolving one with a REALLY difficult Hidden Mickey in the mural!) and my kids (also teenagers) love the food. Chip and Dale are always a favorite. Plus, you are right by Soarin' for before or after (or both!) your meal.

Melanie
02-21-2010, 07:54 AM
I'll throw another one in there - 'Ohana!!! Yum. And served family style. :thumbsup:

Although we do love Tusker House. :donald:

JenniferS.
02-21-2010, 08:24 AM
We've done Tusker House breakfast and it is yummy and the characters are in their safari gear.

Never did Cape May, we aren't into seafood.

1900 Park Fare is nice. The stepsisters are so funny. I like breakfast foods better than the dinner.

Whispering Canyon is sooo fun. We aren't the most outgoing family, but if you have the right waiter/waitress it can be so fun. Everyone gets into it.

Whatever you choose you will have fun and thats all that matters! Have a great trip!

Joannelet
02-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Tusker House we ate breakfast there in Dec. we weren't too amazed by the food choices there. Wasn't that great. The wait times are just as horrendous there as I remembered it at Restaurantasaurus. It use to be my favorite and now the same thing has happened year after year its the last time we will ever eat there.
1900 Park Fair breakfast was tremendous!!! The character interaction was great, the food was delicious! It was so well organized with the seating/wait times. I was impressed!!!!
Dont know about dinner....never tried it but I'm not fond of that menu.
Cape May Cafe we did in July. It was my DS 7months 1st character breakfast. We were highly disappointed in the character interaction. We were done eating before the 1st character ever came to our table and then I made my hubby sit there until they all came over....I wouldn't leave although we were done eating. It was awful. I don't even remember the food and or quality of it since I was so annoyed that no characters were coming to our entire area!! I was too furious to enjoy it.

Kairi_7378
02-21-2010, 10:58 AM
1900 Park Faire sounds like a good meal for your family.

Are there any other places that DS would like to try other than WCC? Although, I've heard that you can tell the person that seats you that you're not interested in "playing" and you can watch the mayhem without partaking in it yourself.

Jared
02-21-2010, 03:31 PM
I tried Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House Restaurant in January with a group of friends from these boards, and everybody left impressed and satisfied. I thought the food selection and quality was significantly better than the fare at Chef Mickey's, and I have been recommending this meal ever since.

The one criticism I second is the wait time. Despite a reservation, we spent at least 20 minutes sitting outside before our pager buzzed. It wasn't unbearable, but I was surprised with how long it took, considering the restaurant was not full.

My family and I tried 1900 Park Fare for dinner once. Not terrible, but not particularly memorable either. We haven't had any desire to return.

JPL
02-21-2010, 04:02 PM
My vote goes to Donald's Safari Breakfast by far the best of the 3 character meals I ate at last June. Great Character interaction and a really good selection of food which was a step above Chef Mickey's & Hollywood & Vine.

faline
02-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Of the character meals we've done in the last couple of years, I'd have to say that dinner at 1900 Park Faire was a favorite for the characters and breakfast at Crystal Palace was a favorite for the food!

PlutoPlanet
02-22-2010, 12:26 PM
We go to WCC every year. Our DD13 thinks is a lot of fun. So do I. The food is barbecue.

Goofy Pluto
02-22-2010, 12:33 PM
The only one I can comment on is 1900 Park Faire. We went for dinner in November 2007 and LOVED it. I thought the food was excellent and the Cinderella characters were great... except for the guy who played Prince Charming. He just had ZERO personality. Anyway, unless there have been changes I'm not aware of since then, I'd highly recommend it.

IrishMickey
02-22-2010, 02:23 PM
We have enjoyed both breakfast and dinner at 1900 Park Faire, we have gone on the last three trips. We also like Donald's breakfast, we have had good luck with characters and the food. MY DH says, pick 1900, nothing beats the Sticky Buns for breakfast. Enjoy!

disney100%
02-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Here is a vote for Cape May. It is a must do for our family every trip. We love the food and we have had some of the best character interactions there than any other character meal. Some of our best vacation photos are from Cape May. Donald Duck actually played with my daughter for a while last time. On the last trip, Chip and Dale had been replaced by Donald Duck. We always plan this breakfast the day we are Epcot because we can walk in through the international gateway right after we eat (or you could catch the boat to DHS or take the boat to Epcot if you want to avoid walking).

I was very surprised to read the posting about the characters not making their way around to the table until they were done eating. We've eaten there several times and have not had that happen (though we did have something similiar to that happen at Crystal Palace, but I know that is uncommon since it is so highly rated by every guide book/website/etc.).

Well, good luck in deciding, I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices!

cer
02-23-2010, 02:05 PM
We are a family of 4. DS -9. DD-11. My husband is done with character meals, too.

That being said, the ones we have dined at are Chef Mickey's, Liberty Tree Tavern, Crystal Palace and Garden Grill.

Out of all of them, the one that was the best experience for our family was Garden Grill. Since you are sitting on the outside of a circular rotating restaurant, you have sooo much more privacy (translate: peace and quiet). The food is served family style so you don't have to be getting up to stand in line at the buffet and the character interaction is good. Garden Grill is only open for dinner, so no worries about having to get to an early reservation...

I know I did not answer the question you asked, but thought you'd like to know...

NJGIRL
02-23-2010, 03:03 PM
I am going to pick the two extremes. We enjoyed how quit and calm it was at the Cape May Cafe. We also love the craziness of the Whispering Canyon.

Jennifer_and_Chris
02-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Ohana's was our fav until we had DD2 and she is allergic to eggs. So, we don't do breakfast as a family anywhere anymore.

1900 for dinner was GREAT! The character interaction is the best! We went on our last trip in October and my 2 girls were in awe! Stepmother and step sisters were great. Played their parts very well. In fact, my 2 year old says she likes the step mother more than Cinderella and I need to make her a step mother costume.... boy that 2nd DD will be the death of me!

Akershus would be another suggestion not yet listed here. Don't know about the food lately, but, DH and I went in 2003 and it was good from what I remember. All the princesses were there.

We have also been to WCC but, were not impressed at all. If you want a new experience, I say try Boma's if you haven't already. Great excuse to go to AKL and resort-site see.

mrmcgiv
02-25-2010, 12:50 AM
we liked 1900 a lot for dinner and the step sisters were FUNNY! never been to the other two - but I agree the food at OHana was good as well. We enjoyed WCC for dinner w/ kids 4 and 7. Our watress was BORING so we had no attention on us - but the others had fun. next time I would hope for a better/more fun server.I would not say it was intense, just fun and if u do nit want attn do not ask for ketchup :)