PDA

View Full Version : First time at monorail resort - what's not to miss?

mook3y
02-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Howdy Y'all

We are going to be staying at the Poly for a week in May.

Traveling with 3 children under 8.

What should we NOT miss that is special at the Monorail resorts.

Looking forward to your tips!

:mickey:

Mousemates
02-19-2010, 10:41 PM
I know this sounds odd seeing as how they are monorail resorts....but don't forget about the water transportation (and the electric water parade).

Genie1953
02-19-2010, 10:53 PM
I know this sounds odd seeing as how they are monorail resorts....but don't forget about the water transportation (and the electric water parade).

Please tell me more about the electric water parade. I have seen it mentioned but I don't know exactly what it is.

kakn7294
02-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Please tell me more about the electric water parade. I have seen it mentioned but I don't know exactly what it is.It's a "parade" of floats that takes place nightly on the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. It can be seen from MK, FW, WL, CR, Poly, and GF. There are specific times for each location from 9 - 10:30pm. It's definately worth taking the time to see!

CleveRocks
02-20-2010, 12:05 AM
Polynesian has a torch lighting ceremony most nights (or every night). You can check the resort's times guide (you'll receive this at check-in) for the exact time each day.

It's very cool to see once. It takes place just before sunset (or thereabouts) at the front entrance to the Great Ceremonial House. Basically, it's a very buff Pacific Islander-lloking guy dancing and handling a torch while a woman plays drums and narrates/announces, and he lights a few of the torches in that immediate area. It lasts maybe 10 minutes tops, I don't know exactly ... but it's very definitely something to see at least once when staying at the Poly.

I'd recommend walking out of the building towards the porte cochere area a few minutes before the scheduled start ... I think that's a better viewing spot than from just outside the lobby doors, and as the ceremony begins two cast members hold a rope preventing you from walking between the two spots I just noted.

cather74
02-20-2010, 12:07 AM
Fireworks from the beach. Very cool. One of my best memories as a kid and an adult.:mickey: Oh and ask to ride in the head car of the monorail. If no one is in it already, they will let you.

Lakin
02-20-2010, 03:04 AM
Oh and ask to ride in the head car of the monorail. If no one is in it already, they will let you.

You can no longer do this since the crash.

Disneyfun
02-20-2010, 09:28 AM
I can't believe that no one has mentioned Dole Whips down at Captain Hook's!?!?!? What can be better than having a Dole Whip almost any time you want!

The Volcano Pool is great! Ohana's is also fun during Wishes as well!

Rent a Watermouse and tool around on the 7 Seas Lagoon so you can get a different perspective on the resort!

sisterslovindisney
02-20-2010, 09:41 AM
It is great being able to sneak away from the parks hop on the monorail and back to Poly in a flash for an afternoon of swimming and napping.

We also love viewing the fireworks form the Poly. No crowds, no lines to get back to the resort. The music is piped in so you get to experience the whole thing without being trampled :)

The kids love the volcano pool and there is underwater music.

I believe there are kids activities by the pool each day. We didn't participate but saw a flyer about it on our last trip.

Mr_Increddieble
02-20-2010, 10:09 AM
At the Poly you must:
-go to the parks early then come back to hang at the pool then go and get ready for dinner at 'Ohanas. Oh yeah, and have one of those umbrella drinks.
-Have breakfast at Kona's
-Participate in the Hula dance lessons
-Buy something unique at Boutiki's
-Watch the fireworks from the Palm Tree Peninsula.
-Get up early and have a power walk as the sun is rising.
-then...
-then....
-then.....

mook3y
02-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Great ideas!

The torch lighting sounds great!

Yes, Ohana's is a must do for our family every trip! Just so happens it will be on Mother's day this year!

We have seen the light parade from Narcoossee's before, but from the beach at the Poly must be very cool. Is it accompanied with any music?

Can you hear the music to the fireworks from the beach? (ie: piped in) Watching wishes from the beach while eating a Dole Whip sounds Dreamy! :cloud9: :blush:

One of the primary reasons for staying at the Poly was to avoid putting a stroller on and off the buses. That is our #1 thing that just stresses us out for some reason. So being able to roll on and off the monorail to our 2 favorite parks was a HUGE plus for us.

Our youngest will have just turned 1, so the zero entry pool is a huge plus! We always take an afternoon break every day to recharge for the evenings activities. So, again, we really can't wait to experience the convenience of being at the Poly!

Thanks again for the insight!

Soph and Han's Mom
02-20-2010, 10:41 AM
i am hard pressed to stay at a resort that is NOT on the monorail after staying at poly/cr for so many years now! sometimes my girls and i just like to ride the monorail for fun and decide where we'll end up when we get there...it's one of our fav things to do!!

wdwfansince75
02-20-2010, 11:16 AM
And Tonga Toast...at Kona Cafe, Capt Cook, and room service....which ever fits your plans. And Kona Coffee...

buzznwoodysmom
02-20-2010, 12:44 PM
We stayed at the Poly in Nov. My mom was traveling with us so one afternoon my husband stayed at the resort with the kids and my mom and I spent the afternoon shopping at the monorail resorts. It was so fun to hop from resort to resort. We did some Christmas shopping and got a snack at the gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian, sat outside people watching while enjoying our snack. It was such a fun mother/daughter afternoon. Your going in May so some of what we did doesn't apply, but I recommend one afternoon of monorail resort hopping either to shop or just see the sights of the other resorts.