PDA

View Full Version : Beginning typing/keyboarding program for 2nd grader

d_m_n_n
02-19-2010, 04:03 PM
DS8 has recently started using a keyboard for his school work. His teacher suggested finding him a beginning typing program to help make it easier for him. I have looked online and found a couple, but was wondering if anyone has any ideas. Any help is really, really appreciated! :)

Melanie
02-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Both of my boys learned on Type to Learn. :thumbsup:

Mickey'sGirl
02-19-2010, 06:18 PM
I am PMing you a link to the BBC's keyboarding site called Dance Mat, which is free, and is used within our district. Gotta love free!! (and it works!) :thumbsup:

JPL
02-19-2010, 06:53 PM
I use Type to Learn in my classes but also use Dance Mat Typing to change things up a bit. Overall the program isn't as important as making sure they following the instructions and proper finger placement. I noticed that a lot of kids like to try shortcuts or think it's easier to type with one hand or using just 2 fingers. What ever program you choose stress the home position and make sure they are following along with the program.

dinahvixen
02-19-2010, 08:40 PM
I got my dd8 the spongebob typing program at target - makes it into a game - but still teaches proper hand technique. Now, to be honest, she doesn't use it much, but we haven't been good at monitoring it. She does like it when she's on it, though.

PirateLover
02-19-2010, 09:33 PM
I got my dd8 the spongebob typing program at target - makes it into a game - but still teaches proper hand technique. Now, to be honest, she doesn't use it much, but we haven't been good at monitoring it. She does like it when she's on it, though.

When I was a kid I had a "Mario Teaches Typing" (as in Super Mario) program. It was so awesome! I also remember having Mavis Beacon and that was fine, but not as fun. I would definitely look for something that is going to keep his interest and have lots of replay value.

Scar
02-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Wow. I think I was in 10th or 11th grade the first time I touched a keyboard.

"And the first one now will later be last
For the times they are a changin'."

Tink1
02-20-2010, 08:53 AM
When I was a kid I had a "Mario Teaches Typing" (as in Super Mario) program. It was so awesome! I also remember having Mavis Beacon and that was fine, but not as fun. I would definitely look for something that is going to keep his interest and have lots of replay value.

We used Mario Teaches Typing for our boys as well! I even played it to increase my typing speed. It WAS fun!

Nanc

RenDuran
02-20-2010, 11:18 AM
This thread brings back great memories of my daughter learning to type on vmk (Virtual Magic Kingdom). She started that game when she was five and couldn't even spell much, besides "hi" and "come to my room". By the time they started computer keyboarding in school in first grade, she was easily typing as fast as most adults. I really miss that game!

d_m_n_n
02-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Wow. I think I was in 10th or 11th grade the first time I touched a keyboard.

"And the first one now will later be last
For the times they are a changin'."

I was a soph. or junior when I started...in a big room filled with the bright blue IBM typewriters! I went back to that room at school just the other night. Every blue machine was gone :( .

Normally our school doesn't start keyboarding until the 4th grade. But with some of DS's issues, handwriting is VERY difficult for him. Thank you for all the replies!!! DS has already played on some of the sites and I'm impressed with what he is learning!!!

Lakin
02-20-2010, 12:25 PM
I used Type to Learn back in elementary school. :]