PDA

View Full Version : Best Park For a Roller Coaster Lover

Beauty508
02-19-2010, 12:12 PM
I will be taking my boyfriend to Disney for the first time and he loves roller coasters. We only have one day to spend at the parks. Any suggestions?

faline
02-19-2010, 12:32 PM
That's a tough one as the coasters are spread out among parks. I know it's expensive but I'd probably spring for the park hopper option so you can hit the coasters at each of the parks. Not all of what I've listed are coasters but are in the class of the more thrilling rides

Magic Kindom:
Space Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain
Splash Mountain

Ecpot:
Test Track
Mission: Space

Disney Studios:
Rock n Roller Coaster
Tower of Terror

Animal Kingdom:
Expedition:Everest
Dinosaur

Bay Lake
02-19-2010, 01:35 PM
You can hit all the parks coasters, why just limit yourself to one park. Hit them all.
:coaster::coaster:

DizneyRox
02-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Islands of Adventure would be my pick for a coaster park in Orlando.

Goes4FastPass
02-19-2010, 02:03 PM
I agree.

Expedition Everest is a great coaster and you could also do Primevil Whirl since they're both at AK.

A single day of hitting all 4 WDW parks to ride the coasters there would be a TON of travel park to park plus walk-walk-walk within those parks then trying to deal with Fastpasses and return times or lines at what are top draw attractions (the coasters).

Then you'd have to plan around park hours (as in AK closes before the other parks)

Could you ride all the WDW park coasters in a day? Yes. Would it leave your boyfriend loooking forward to returning to Walt Disney World with you in the future? Uh... maybenot.

I would reccomend taking your coaster loving BF to Disney's Animal Kingdom and make sure sure he rides Expedition Everest and Dinosaur and everything else at AK including Kali River Rapids OR the Magic Kingdom where you could have a longer day that includes Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Space Mountain. Either way, a great full day at a single WDW park might be a better date for you and Coaster Man.

Ms. Mode
02-19-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm with Faline...go for the PH and ride what she has suggested :thumbsup:

MegaDisney
02-19-2010, 03:43 PM

Agreed.

Mousemates
02-19-2010, 10:37 PM

:ditto:

If I was just going to do one disney park for thrill rides I'd go with the studios since RnR and ToT are two great ones...if I was park hopping I'd do the studios first...hopefully for early EMH...(dash to TSM, then hit RnR and ToT...go to AKL and get EE and Dinosaur...and finish off my day (hopefully with evening EMH at the MK being sure to hit the three Mountains.

CleveRocks
02-19-2010, 11:09 PM
I consider myself a coaster enthusiast (but no, I'm not a member of ACE).

Skip Magic Kingdom. Anyone who enjoys an actual roller coaster will be disappointed after riding Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Space Mountain is fun, but not world class.

Disney's Hollywood Studios has Disney's only "thrilling" coaster in Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, in that it's the only coaster in all of Disney that has inversions (where you go upside-down). It's one of those magnet-driven coasters that starts you from a dead stop, and goes from 0 mph to 60 mph in 2.8 seconds (and takes your photo in the process). You get catapulted into 2 or three inversions very quickly, and after that the rides becomes very similar to Space Mountain's ride.

Animal Kingdom has Expedition Everest. This coaster is a lot of fun ... going backwards in the dark is a nice touch, and it can even feel like you're going upside-down part of that time but you're really not. Nice first drop.

No coasters at Epcot.

So your Disney choices are DHS or AK.

At DHS, the "thrill" bonus is that right next door to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, which of course isn't a coaster but it is an exciting thrill ride (a simulated free fall of roughly 130 feet or so) ... the theming of the ride makes it MUCH better than your typical amusement park free fall ride.

At AK, the "thrill" bonus is Dinosaur. Don't know how to describe this ride. Good story. Thrilling. Scary. You're very immersed into it. You're in a ride vehicle that moves on a track, but the track goes up and down and jerks and swerves unexpectedly ... all in all an exciting ride, and perhaps even my very favorite ride in all of WDW.

BigRedDad
02-20-2010, 03:18 AM
If you are going to Central FL, WDW is not the place for roller coasters. Their coasters are tame at best. The only thing they have going for their coasters are themes.

Universal Studios is a better choice. As others have said, it is IoA.

Ian
02-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Islands of Adventure would be my pick for a coaster park in Orlando.:ditto:

Honestly, trying to do all the Disney coasters in just one day would be near ludicrous. You'd waste hours of your day getting from one park to another and, if your BF is a true coaster enthusiast, he'd probably be disappointed by most of them anyway.

Disney's not really a true coaster kind of a place. Go to Universal.

Superzeus84
02-20-2010, 10:03 AM
If he really loves coasters and you are going to disney and are only going one day I suggest you get park hopper tickets...

Start off at AK, he will love expedition everest, also dont miss dinosaur. I would then hop over to DHS and ride the rockn roller coaster and Tower of terror.

PETE FROM NYC
02-20-2010, 04:32 PM
If all he wants is to ride roller coasters, then forget WDW.
Instead try Kings Dominion in Virginia, or Busch ,also in Va.
Went to both last year, hated both because I am not a coaster person.

Touchdown
02-20-2010, 04:42 PM
I am a member of ACE, and a huge coaster buff. It depends on what kind of enthusiast he is.

I look at park enthusiasts on a sliding scale, on one side you have the coaster only fan. This is the person that only goes to parks for coasters, he/she is content with only riding them the entire day. On the exact opposite spectrum is some of the Disney fans here, they dont even like coasters (or most rides in general) and just love walking the midways and sampling the themeing around them. Most people fall inbetween, I for one am right in the middle, I love the big coasters, and can ride them all day but am not content to. I have to ride the flat rides and dark rides and sample some shows as well. Ask me what my favorite park to visit and Ill say Disney World (I know its cheating because its more then one park.) You need to figure out where he is.

If he is a coaster only person, he is going to be disapointed at pretty much every Florida park. None of them has close to the numbers of quality coasters as Cedar Point, Magic Mountain or Great Adventure. The one that comes closest is Busch Gardens in Tampa with their amazing B&M collection. Best park in Orlando for coasters is IoA. At WDW that person's favorite park is going to be DHS where he/she would be content to bounce back and forth between RnRC and ToT all day long.

However, if he is a park enthusiast and grew up with even a little Disney the Magic Kingdom is the runaway choice. Yes BTMRR and SM pale in comparison to most coasters but this park has the greatest log ride in existence (Splash Mountain) along with some absolutely amazing dark rides (PoTC and HM.) This park has virtually all of the rides people think of when they think of Disney parks and as a true enthusiast you have to go to a "castle park" at least once in your life.

CaptSmee
02-20-2010, 10:05 PM
However, if he is a park enthusiast and grew up with even a little Disney the Magic Kingdom is the runaway choice. Yes BTMRR and SM pale in comparison to most coasters but this park has the greatest log ride in existence (Splash Mountain) along with some absolutely amazing dark rides (PoTC and HM.) This park has virtually all of the rides people think of when they think of Disney parks and as a true enthusiast you have to go to a "castle park" at least once in your life.

Fantastic advice! If concur, if you are wanting the "Disney" experience then definitely make it Magic Kingdom. If thrills truly are your tour de force, Hollywood Studios. In addition to Rockin Rollercoaster & Tower of Terror your sure to enjoy many other thing's at the park.

kemps@wdw
02-20-2010, 10:35 PM
:twocents: Park-hop and do 'em ALL! :thumbsup: