PDA

View Full Version : Luau?

KAT1811
02-18-2010, 08:32 PM
I was just wondering what the general opinions are on the Luau? Is it worth the money? Would you do it again? How was the entertainment and the food? Would you recommend something else instead?

ryca1dreams
02-18-2010, 08:55 PM
We had an good time. What made it fun was that we were with a big group, the food was pretty good, and just the overall experience we found fun.

Some of us thought the entertainment drug on a little long - maybe we were just tired. I also thought the food would be a little better for the price. However, it was an experience and not just dinner.

It was fun to go once. We probably would not go again as there are other things we like more or want to try. I don't know how it compares to other dinner shows (haven't tried yet).

IamBelle
02-19-2010, 06:44 AM
I went about three years ago and loved it! The food was delicious, especially the bread (its like a sweet bread with pineapple and coconut) and the pork. The dessert was a lava cake which was also really tasty.
We loved the entertainment, my parents said it felt like they were in Hawaii again. The fire dancer even called up my mom to hand her a palm (for peace, I think he said?) It was a great experience that I would definitely do again!

DVC2004
02-19-2010, 08:25 AM
We've gone twice now, with several years span in between. We last went in June 2008. It's fun and entertaining. The food is good- my kids loved the fire dancing. Try it at least once.

doombuggygal
02-19-2010, 08:31 AM
On our last trip we did both the Luau and Hoop Dee Doo Review. We liked the Luau but LOVED Hoop Dee Doo! So much so that we went back a few days later and did it again and will probably go again on our upcoming trip.

faline
02-19-2010, 08:57 AM
The old format of the luau was much more formal and more like what you'd see in Hawaii. I'm not as big a fan of the new format/story line which we saw for the first time about a year ago. Our view may have been impacted because it was a rainy night and I think they modified the show to accommodate that (except for the fire dancer, they only used the portion of the stage that was under cover). Overall, if you've never been to a luau, it's fun and does include some wonderful dancing. Food was good and service was not lacking.

DizneyRox
02-19-2010, 09:32 AM
I'd pass even if the tickets :ack: were :ack: free... :ack::ack:

In general, you're find the Luau gets mixed reviews, somewhere in the 50-50 range of good vs bad. The Hoop Dee Doo is a much better gamble, that gets many more good reviews over bad, probably in the 90/10 range.

BigRedDad
02-19-2010, 09:48 AM
We were there Nov 2008. I don't think it was worth it. The food was the typical family style food. It was not spectacular. HDDR show is much more enjoyable. The one stand out of the entire show is the guy spinning the fire. For the money, time, and quality, I would not do it again.

civilmousefan
02-19-2010, 11:09 AM
I found the luau to be too long and uninspiring. I would NEVER sit through it again. Although, the food and service was very good.

mainemajor
02-27-2010, 11:53 AM
We've done it twice and don't think we will do it aain. It was fun and everyone should try it once, we LOVE the Hoop Dee Do Review and do that on most of our trips. For the money it's better and also not dependent on the weather.

TheVBs
02-28-2010, 07:40 PM
We went in 2007. Thought the food was really good, the show was fun. Parts of it dragged on a bit, but the dancing was great. Having seen it, we're glad we did it, but we wouldn't bother to go back.

We did Mickey's Backyard BBQ on the last trip and had an absolute blast! We would definitely do that one again.

SuzieN
03-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Show was long and boring. Food was meh...dessert was actually gross...I wouldn't do it again.

WVParkfan
03-11-2010, 03:27 PM
For those who've been in the summer, is it extremely hot at the 5:30 show? We'll be there in August, and our kids really want to see the Luau, rather than the Hoop de doo show. But Dad doesn't want to sit outside if it is 100 degrees!

DizneyRox
03-11-2010, 06:14 PM
The sun doesn't go down till about 8:30pm or so, it will still be extremely hot at 5:30.

In the summer, the heat starts around 8:30am and doesn't let up until shortly after sun down. I am usually sweating during Fantasmic, but there are loads of people around making it hotter (and stinkier) than usual.

LandFan
03-11-2010, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=DizneyRox;2018621]I'd pass even if the tickets :ack: were :ack: free... :ack::ack:

Yep - us too.

SurferStitch
03-11-2010, 09:49 PM
DH and I were there in December, and we had a fantastic time.

We had a table in the front, close to center. Great view! We had perfect 70+ degree weather that evening, so that made it even more enjoyable.

The food was very good...basic, but very tasty. The chicken was cooked perfectly and nice and juicy. We devoured everything! Service was great, too.

The new storyline is entertaining. It adds a little zest to the show, especially for kids. They still do the traditional dances and fire twirling, too. And, they have Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride, and I'm a huge Stitch fan!

Overall, we had a very enjoyable evening, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Very, very nice. :thumbsup:

Morpheous
03-13-2010, 07:09 AM
We went to the Spirit's of Aloha show last year it was actually the first thing we did on our trip, the same day as our flight arrived. We really loved it! So much so actually that we are doing it again this year, on the first night of our stay again.

The food was very good, and the traditional island dances were very good. Especially the fire dancer.

DizMom416
03-13-2010, 09:53 AM
We went to the Luau last year and were not impressed. THe entertainment was pretty good, food mediocre, and they did last call for anymore drinks really early. My husband was disappointed. He was looking forward to the all you can drink bud light. If you want to do a dinner show, the hoopty do is 1000 times better. I have done well over 10 times and loved everytime!:mickey:

Jillirose
03-13-2010, 03:29 PM
I went because I loved it so much as a kid. I loved it again, but most of the others in the party (young kids, teenagers, and adults) were not that interested or impressed. It may have been the seating, we were in cheap seats at the rear, so not as engaged in the show.

Mousefever
03-13-2010, 05:41 PM
I don't like the cheesy story line. The plot drags and the food is not memorable to me. We also had a lot more fun at Hoop-De-Doo.

Amy

DNS
03-15-2010, 11:10 AM
We went to the Luau in November 2008 and had a great time. The food was good and we loved the show. Especially the fire dancer. We plan to go again.:tikki:

Ricbr
03-16-2010, 11:04 AM
I think it all depends on when you go as well. I went once to the Luau and it was during the second week of August.

Talk about hot! :thedolls:

We still had a great time and enjoyed both the food and the show. It was also very memorable as a huge thunderstorm was moving in during the show and the performers still kept going. To see the guy spinning the firestick while lightning was illuminating the sky = pretty cool.

All in all we really enjoyed it minus it being so hot and sticky prior to the rain. It definately was fun. But if I had my choice again (knowing that I have already seen the show) I would go inside to Ohana's instead. :mickey: