PDA

View Full Version : "Tipping" Staff On Club Level?

queenmom9497
02-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Thank you to the posts from a previous thread on Club Level! We decided to "upgrade" and "pamper" ourselves at the BWI Club Level in June. We always leave a hand decorated envelope with a tip for Mousekeeping each day. Is "tipping" necessary/required for "other" Club Level employees? :confused:

TammiMcMan
02-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Not necessary and can actually put them in an uncomfortable position. There are rules about what they can accept and how it needs to be reported to management.

That being said, I did "tip" the IPO staff at the YC a few years ago. They were amazing in setting up a surprise holiday trip for my family. Even though I only spoke with one or two specific CM's, I know they all work together as a team. I sent them a chocolate gift basket and because it was Christmas, I also had Make a Wish ornaments engraved for each CM in that department. We had almost zero interaction with the CM's who staffed the club level desk at the YC, so I felt comfortable with thanking the staff who helped us the most.

Going with the "team" concept, I know guests who also bring a basket for all to share that includes items representative of their state. These are usually the repeat guests though who've built up a relationship with the staff. It's definitely not something thats required or expected.

Mousefever
02-18-2010, 04:57 PM
This is not about club level specifically, but about tipping non-tipped positions. I tried to tip the lady at CBR bell services and she refused it. I said, "What if I offer it three times?" She said, "Ah, you know about the three times rule. Then I'd have to tell my manager about it." The way she said it made me ask, "Is it easier for you if I don't offer the tip?" She said "Yes, but thanks for offering."

I had heard about the three times rule here on Intercot. But I didn't think about the possibility that tipping my be an imposition to some cast members.

I think that the idea to offer a gift basket to all the club level staff is a great one, and it doesn't put anyone in an awkward position.

Amy

javamama
02-21-2010, 11:17 AM
We've tipped bell service and they've always taken it not even hesitated to take it. They're like a skycab, it's a tippable position at every resort/hotel nationwide. As for Club Level yes we tip them generously, especially our favorites they refuse at first but they take it in the end. Being from Chicago we tip everyone, it's a rule of thumb here:D I think it's fine!

TammiMcMan
02-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Mousefever, that's funny they mentioned the "3 time rule". Tipped positions are allowed to keep what they are given. Club level CM's are non-tipped positions however and they are required to turn their tips in. That doesn't mean they don't get them, they're just pooled and used for things like a team lunch, birthday cake, donuts for everyone, etc.

Where it can get tricky, is if the CM is tempted to keep the tip and management finds out, they can be terminated. Disney is definitely not Vegas ;) .

TheRustyScupper
02-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Being from Chicago we tip everyone,

Disney is definitely not Vegas.

1) Yep!
2) Please do not tip non-tipped positions.
. . . Front Desk
. . . Concierge
. . . Club Level people
. . . Host/Hostess (showing you to a table)
. . . etc
3) If caught taking a tip, and not turning it isn't, termination can result.
4) However, definitely tip
. . . bellmen
. . . parking valets
. . . advice from TheRustyScupper
. . . bartenders
. . . waiters

NOTE: Maids are a touchy thing. The WDW guidelines say no, but many managers look the other way. We don't tip WDW housekeeping (maids are well paid compared to other WDW employees and maids at other hotels), but we do not condemn those that do.

Carolanne
02-21-2010, 04:27 PM
4) However, definitely tip
. . . bellmen

Not totally on-topic, I know but: You know, my last 3 trips the bellmen refused my tips. On my most recent trip, my tip was waved away & I was told "Oh no, this is what I do. It's my pleasure!"

javamama
02-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Now see when I worked public contact it was far and few between if I EVER received a tip. I remember older people trying to force tips on me when I would check them in and get a skycap to get a wheelchair for them--I'd give it back--it was my job to make a phone call. Other times I remember working all night long during a major weather irregular operation, I had a group of golfers who I worked with from 6pm at night until 6am the following day leave me 50 bucks, they left it on the desk in an envelope for me, as they boarded--so I took it. Now if we find money we have to turn it in, or it's stealing--funny huh!
Anyone who makes a living off tips needs to be tipped, maids, bellmen, waitresses, bartenders, cab stand guys, you can figure it out. We tip 2-3 bucks a bag when we call a bellmen, we leave the maid 5 bucks a day, and usually 10 when we checkin. And we always leave 20% at a resturant, as for the bartender a buck a drink for the most part, and then we tip out when we close the tab. On occassions we tip hostesses, and the front desk for better rooms on vacations(not saying Disney!!!)
My dad's retirement parttime career, is based on tips so I keep that in mind when I tip someone who waits on me:thumbsup:

TammiMcMan
02-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Now if we find money we have to turn it in, or it's stealing--funny huh!It's definitely not industry standard, just what Disney does. I think it all harkens back to the philosophy that regardless of where you're staying on property or how much you've paid, everyone is entitled to the same level of service. It's all well and good to tip "tipped" positions for services rendered and to try and offer "non-tipped" positions money for what we consider exceptional service. Part of the problem though is the mentality of giving money as an incentive for better service (ie front desk clerks for a better room location, better view, upgrade; hostesses for a better table, etc.). Hopefully that makes sense. I'm not dissing anyone who does that, I know it's very acceptable in many places.

Disney looks at things differently in this regard and especially with staff that work as a team. As I pointed out in my earlier post, specifically with the club level, you may deal with only one person, but there is a team of people behind them in the background that may actually be the ones who are ensuring that exceptional service. Is it fair that it's the CM's face who is seen, who gets to keep the tip? Personally, I agree with the notion of pooling and sharing in this instance. JMO of course ;).

JenniferS.
02-21-2010, 05:24 PM
I said, "What if I offer it three times?" She said, "Ah, you know about the three times rule.

We used bell services upon departure to help us w/ the luggage at CBR and my husband tried to tip the guy and he refused. My husband said, "oh, you can't accept tips?" He said, only if you offer 3 times and then we can. So, my hubby offered it two more times and then he took it.

TheRustyScupper
02-21-2010, 08:52 PM
I said, "What if I offer it three times?" She said, "Ah, you know about the three times rule.

1) Non-tip CM's can take money after three refusals.
2) Then, they MUST turn it into managers.
3) If caught by a "shopper" they can be fired.

4) Bellmen are in a tipped position.
5) However, at some resorts, the bell service is actually Front Desk CM's
6) They are not supposed to take luggage tips.

NOTES:
a) There is a memo to the union agreement that lets Front Desk CM's take tips for handling luggage to/from the room ONLY when bellmen are not around.
b) For DME luggage, bellmen are paid directly by Disney, so they are not allowed to be tipped in addition.
c) For conventions, where the fee for bellmen is included in the convention fee, bellmen can't take a tip.

Mousefever
02-21-2010, 11:26 PM
4) Bellmen are in a tipped position.
5) However, at some resorts, the bell service is actually Front Desk CM's
6) They are not supposed to take luggage tips.

NOTES:
a) There is a memo to the union agreement that lets Front Desk CM's take tips for handling luggage to/from the room ONLY when bellmen are not around.
b) For DME luggage, bellmen are paid directly by Disney, so they are not allowed to be tipped in addition.
c) For conventions, where the fee for bellmen is included in the convention fee, bellmen can't take a tip.

Well, no wonder I was confused! I was trying to tip the bell person out in front of the Customs House at CBR for retrieving our bags from the storage room. It's a little confusing for the lay person who isn't privy to union contracts and Disney rules. Thanks for clearing that up.

Amy

pamickeys
02-22-2010, 01:10 PM
We must be staying at some other WDW, because NO ONE has ever refused the tip that I gave them, and as you can see by our signature we've been there a few times.

TammiMcMan
02-22-2010, 03:28 PM
We must be staying at some other WDW, because NO ONE has ever refused the tip that I gave them, and as you can see by our signature we've been there a few times.Are you referring to tipping on the concierge level, or just tipping in general? If it's tipping in general, there are many "tipped" positions at Disney, so yes, a majority of those service people would be accepting them.