PDA

View Full Version : Inside The Magic at The Studios

MaxPower
02-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Does anyone remember Inside The Magic: The Special Effects Walking Tour when The Hollywood Studios first opened as The Disney MGM Studios?

It had volunteer kids ride a HUGE bee from Honey I Shrunk The Kids in front of a blue screen and their performance was reviewed by Siskel and Ebert.

You would walk through a skywalk above the soundstages and actually see production being filmed on them through one-way glass - including Star Search and The Mickey Mouse Club.

Then there was a short movie starring Bette Midler called The Lottery where she chased a floating winning lottery ticket through New York Street. You'd also see props from the same movie.

Toy Story Mania now occupies the soundstage buildings where Inside The Magic was originally.

This attraction never seems to get mentioned much on these boards.

Bay Lake
02-17-2010, 02:34 PM
I remember this, my kids rode the bee.
Some of the props from that short movie are still around in the walk thru wharehouses.

Ian
02-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I remember it. It was fun actually. I kind of miss it, but I think once DHS stopped being a true working studio it kinda lost its meaning.

JPL
02-17-2010, 08:00 PM
This was definitiely when the Studios was at it's best! You had the Walking Tour followed by the Backlot Tour and then you headed over to the Animation Tour. Now it's just a little above average theme park that has lost it's Identity :(

snowflakegirl
02-17-2010, 08:53 PM
I remember that. It was actually one of my favorite things to do. The last time I was there, they were filming Tom Hanks' From the Earth to the Moon. I was in high school and I thought it was so cool that I was looking at an actual working set. I miss that aspect of the Studios.

dream6
02-17-2010, 09:30 PM
I remember the walking tour part :) It was easily one of my favorite things to do there. I have to agree that when DHS stopped being a working studio it lost a lot.

crltkcagle
02-17-2010, 10:09 PM
I don't remember that one. Guess I will have to YouTube it.

CaptSmee
02-17-2010, 10:17 PM
I have never even heard of what your referencing. Sounds interesting though.

laprana
02-18-2010, 09:45 AM
I remember it! My dad took my sister and I to WDW when we were little and I remember going on this tour. I think I was about 7 or 8, and they picked my sister and me to ride the huge bee, but we were scaredy cats and wouldn't do it! Now I wish I hadn't been such a wimp! :D

Ms. Mode
02-18-2010, 01:21 PM
I have never even heard of what your referencing. Sounds interesting though.

Ditto :mickey: