PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of moving to FL

Bri
02-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Hi all,

I'm considering moving to FL, maybe in the next year or so. My boss is moving our operations to Washington state. He is doing everything he can to get me to go there, but I have no desire to go. I currently live in PA by the way. So FL has been on my mind for quite sometime, and since I will prob be out of a job in the next year, why not move? I'm thinking of the Ft. Lauderdale area, but I'm open to all suggestions/opinions. Here is mostly what I'm looking for: I'm 28 and active, so is there a lot to do? Are the people friendly? I may or may not be moving w/my best friend, but I'd def need to make some new friends. Church is important to me (I'm Christian) how are the churches? Is it safe? How about the cost of living? And anything else you can think of would be great! I trust your opinions, I know my fellow Intercotees won't steer me wrong! Thanks!

ibrowse17
02-16-2010, 10:54 AM
I grew up in the Fort Walton-Destin area, and loved every moment. My parents and brother's family still live there, and we visit every chance we can. All the things you asked about can be found there, and I am sure it is the same where you are thinking of moving. No matter what you decide, good luck:thumbsup:

Ms. Mode
02-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Glad to see this question...we're thinking of the move south too...especially when there's all this snow on the ground:mickey:

Strmchsr
02-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Well, the first thing you would have to get used to, that's just a normal way of life down in the South, is the HEAT during the summer, no snow during the winter and the hurricanes / thunderstorms. None of those things are really a big deal. To those of us who live down here it's as much a way of life as the snow is to my northern friends. But, it does take some getting used to.

As for friendliess, well, Florida isn't really a "southern" state (too many yankees have move in :D ) but, Southern hospitality is one stereotype that's actually pretty true. You shouldn't have any trouble making friends.

The good part about the heat is that usually (this year is an exception) there's not extremely cold weather so folks do outdoors stuff year-round. Golfing, scuba diving, runnning, hiking, etc and Florida is great for people who like to be active. Lots of activities in just a very short drive.

Church you'll have no problem with. This is the Bible Belt so churches are everywhere. And, since I'm a pastor, I can probably get you some recommendations on a good church or two to try out once you get settled. I have several friends in that area.

Being so close to Miami, you'll definitely have to adjust to a very high Hispanic population.
I don't mean that as a bad thing, I love the culture, but, like with all cultures, it takes adjusting to. That said, almost anywhere you lived in the South would be a cultural adjustment for someone from the north.

murphy1
02-16-2010, 12:47 PM
I grew up in St. Pete/Tampa area and I would also suggest looking there, it's a very nice area and has a lot of younger people. You have to have a car in Florida, I don't think I ever took a bus or any public tranport anywhere. Wages are still pretty low compared to other states. There are many churches everywhere down there so no worries there. I live in Georgia now and I miss the diversity of people that are there.

Mousefever
02-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Can I just give a shout out for Colorado? I lived in PA too for a time. Moving to Colorado had some definite benefits for me.

-very low humidity (I can actually straighten my hair here and have it stay straight!)

-we average around 300 sunny days per year

-we have 4 seasons, but snow melts quickly

-there are lots of outdoor activities for any season

-people seem friendly to me

-many, many churches to choose from (including mine!)

-no large, man-eating bugs

I just wanted to throw that out there, but if you're set on FL, I hope your plan works out for you!

Amy

Strmchsr
02-16-2010, 01:34 PM
-we have 4 seasons, but snow melts quickly

-no large, man-eating bugs

Now, hold on Amy. We have 4 seasons in the South, too. Hot & Wet, Hot & Dry, Not Quite As Hot, and Allergy.

And as for those bugs, if you can't afford a car or a horse they're a great alternative. :D

dnickels
02-20-2010, 05:34 PM
I lived in Miami for three years during law school so I'll give my :twocents:

First of all, Ft. Lauderdale and Southeast Florida down to about Homestead are not part of the south. You actually have to go north to get 'southern hospitality' It's much more of an east coast mindset in that part of the state than a 'southern' one. Not that it's a bad thing, just something to know.

Over half of Miami speaks Spanish as their primary language. Most people don't realize that because they go on vacation and never stray more than a half mile from the ocean, but if you're going to live there it's something to consider.

While as someone earlier mentioned, many areas require lots of driving, I disagree with that being all of Florida. I've put gas in my truck exactly once since November 1st, I live in Key West and I can bike everywhere. If you live on Miami Beach or Fort Lauderdale beach (defined generally as the area between the coast and intracoastal waterway) you'll have everything you need (entertainment, shopping, food, housing, jobs) in a small area so you shouldn't have to drive for hours every day. Sure if you live out in the suburbs that will happen, but you're 28 and active so I hope you're not planning to live in the suburbs! :mickey:

Those are just some general thoughts so if I can be of more specific help just ask. Fort Lauderdale definitely offers a lot for a young active person!

Ed
02-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Just a caveat to add to what the others have said; the unemployment situation throughout the state is pretty bad, and Florida is one of the highest in the country for home foreclosures. Although you personally may be successful in finding a good job and buying a nice home, these factors affect everyone. State and local budgets are adversely affected, resulting in cuts in services and funding of essential services such as education, public safety, maintenance of infrastructure, etc.

That said, despite the state's wrinkles and warts, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

:cool:

DizneyRox
02-20-2010, 08:25 PM
I know a few people who made the down and now can't afford to come back. Make sure you know what you're getting into. Going to Florida with any sort of debt may tie you into staying there. Cost of living is cheaper, sortof, but wages tend to be lower as well. Debt makes life difficult, and I'm speaking of things like a mortgage, credit card debt, student loans, etc.

Schools tend to not stack up very well against a lot of the northern school systems. Sure there are some good schools, etc, but in general...

Florida is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there...

browneyedgirl12
02-28-2010, 09:20 PM
While as someone earlier mentioned, many areas require lots of driving, I disagree with that being all of Florida. I've put gas in my truck exactly once since November 1st, I live in Key West and I can bike everywhere. If you live on Miami Beach or Fort Lauderdale beach (defined generally as the area between the coast and intracoastal waterway) you'll have everything you need (entertainment, shopping, food, housing, jobs) in a small area so you shouldn't have to drive for hours every day. Sure if you live out in the suburbs that will happen, but you're 28 and active so I hope you're not planning to live in the suburbs! :mickey:

That must be nice! I live in Lehigh Acres which is in southwest Florida and it's pretty much as rural as it gets, so its a half hour drive to evrything except church and a small grocery store. But on the flip side there is so much open space so here and there is a lot to do outside like four-wheeling, hiking, etc. And in the summer there is tubing and wake-boarding on the Caloosahatche which is a lot of fun, and there are beaches and fishing. Pretty much if you like being outside Florida is the place to be, once you adjust to the heat :)