PDA

View Full Version : Will the Fantasy land refurb keep you away?

Emme&TeddysMommy
02-15-2010, 09:37 AM
I was just wondering is anyone not considering not going to Disney during 2011 and 2012 due to the upcoming Fantasyland refurb/upgrades/expansion. We love going to Disney every year, but my DH thinks that it will be a waste of time and money to go if the parks (magic kingdom) are going to be under major construction. Just wondering what other fellow Disney lovers think and if this will keep you away or you will still go.

SBETigg
02-15-2010, 09:41 AM
I spend very little time in Fantasyland as it is, so it really doesn't have much effect on me. I never go to the Toontown area. I would definitely keep going to WDW, and much of the MK (the parts that I love most) are unaffected by it. Though maybe more crowded with some of Fantasyland down. Keep in mind, though, that they will be keeping parts of Fantasyland open while other parts are down. There will still be plenty to do in the MK.

crltkcagle
02-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Nothing can keep us away from disney! :thumbsup:

Emme&TeddysMommy
02-15-2010, 10:06 AM
I spend very little time in Fantasyland as it is, so it really doesn't have much effect on me. I never go to the Toontown area. I would definitely keep going to WDW, and much of the MK (the parts that I love most) are unaffected by it. Though maybe more crowded with some of Fantasyland down. Keep in mind, though, that they will be keeping parts of Fantasyland open while other parts are down. There will still be plenty to do in the MK.

I tell him the exact same thing (there will still be plenty to do in the MK). I understand where he is coming from because we have two toddlers. I will just keep trying to sell him on the idea. I can’t imagine a year with out Disney. I know that I still have plenty of time to work on him. I guess I will just have to keep him updated on the progress. Maybe that will change his mind. Keep your fingers crossed. :fingers:

Stu29573
02-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Nope. Not having kids with us (they are grown), we spend maybe a total of 10 minutes in Toontown anyway. I'm looking forward to November!:thumbsup:

lightyearfan
02-15-2010, 10:28 AM
nope it wont keep me and dw away , we just wdw way too much:mickey:

victor

faline
02-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Won't keep me away.

biodtl
02-15-2010, 10:30 AM
I'd rather miss it, but our fall 2010 trip had to be postponed to fall 2011, so it sounds like we'll be there in the thick of it. And since we're already a year behind, we will NOT miss or delay our trip again.

Hopefully, Fantasyland will still be at least partially enjoyable, refurb or not.

slegrant
02-15-2010, 10:38 AM
With everything to do at WDW we would never miss a trip. I am looking forward to the changes and expansion, just wish they would bring back Mr. Toad's Wild Ride:mickey:

megustamex
02-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Won't most of the existing fantasyland still be operable?

scottgr
02-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Nothing will stop us from going......It may be little crazy for a few years, but in the long run it will be well worth it. :thumbsup:

Goofy4TheWorld
02-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Won't most of the existing fantasyland still be operable?

Ditto for me. I really thought the none of Fantasy Land would be closed for the rehab, only Toontown. What in Fantasy Land would be closed eventually?

crazygoalie39
02-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Absolutely not! Nothing could keep me away from WDW. We don't spend too much time in fantasyland as it is so not a big deal. There's so much else to do!

Ms. Mode
02-15-2010, 12:09 PM
With the exception of Goofy's Barnstormer we don't even venture into Fantasyland...I think they intend to keep GB open.

I don't think anything could keep me away...it's the happiest place on earth after all :)

Scar
02-15-2010, 12:12 PM
The only thing that could keep me away would be if World Showcase were shut down.

#1donaldfan
02-15-2010, 12:30 PM
....nope, there are still WAY more things to do, however it will be missed (a little) not enough to forego going till it's done....Disney is always evolving, so we just go and watch the upcoming progress.....:mickey:

Imagineer1981
02-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Definitely not. A good chunk of Fantasyland will still be open anyways so its not that big of a deal. We are excited to see the changes.

bruin1344
02-15-2010, 01:08 PM
definite no, fantasyland is not vital part of my trip and also most of the major attraction in fantasyland will stay open

MegaDisney
02-15-2010, 01:09 PM
When Fantasyland at Disneyland was redone back in the 80's they closed the entire land. Construction went much faster and we had our New Fantasyland in just one year. I wonder why they don't close it down and get it done instead of stretching it out over almost 3 years (probably money)...

kbean
02-15-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm not too worried about it. I'm sure Disney has already addressed this concern. They may close off large sections and risk taking a dip in park sales during construction. Or decide to do light construction during operating hours. Keeping smaller sections closed off during the day and busting out the heavy duty stuff at night when the park closes.

But I don't think the construction will affect anything.

TikiLounger
02-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Nope. Not having kids with us (they are grown), we spend maybe a total of 10 minutes in Toontown anyway. I'm looking forward to November!:thumbsup:

Same for us. We don't usually spend much time there. Every other trip or so, we do walk over to Mickey and Minne's houses, but that's about it. Actually, I look forward to checking out the area after the refurb, though. I can't wait to see what they do with it.

wdwnomad
02-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Not us. Even though we do enjoy Toontown and Fantasyland it won't be enough to keep us away. I am hoping that when we are down in August maybe we will be able to see things how they are one last time. Also, this year I am VERY excited about MSEP coming back. That is definetly going to be one of the highlights!

KAJUNKING
02-16-2010, 03:25 AM

:ditto:
although i do like some of the things in fantasyland, i can pass on the things closed to later improve the park!

Tygger7
02-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Definitely won't keep me away...all of the things I enjoy most in Fantasyland won't be affected, and we never go to Toontown. Besides, I'd actually like to be able to watch the progress!:mickey:

SBETigg
02-16-2010, 08:39 AM
When Fantasyland at Disneyland was redone back in the 80's they closed the entire land. Construction went much faster and we had our New Fantasyland in just one year. I wonder why they don't close it down and get it done instead of stretching it out over almost 3 years (probably money)...

I don't think it's a mere money issue. I think it's also the fact that this one can successfully be done in phases, so why risk alienating guests by closing the whole land? Small World, Peter Pan's Flight, and PhilHarmagic aren't slated for major rehabs, so why close those down when much of the work is being done in the Toontown area? I think WDW has more to work with, so less reason to close the whole land down for the rehab.

coneygoil
02-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Nothing keeps us from going to WDW! Though I like Toontown, I don't think we set foot in it this past trip. I might go in it for our April trip and take lots of pics for nostalgia sake. :balloon:

MaxPower
02-17-2010, 11:44 AM
I think it will be worth any inconvenience.

Aurora's Spindle
02-17-2010, 12:40 PM
I don't think anything could keep me away from WDW! I like a lot of the things in Fantasyland (especially Small World and Peter Pan's Flight) but I don't really venture into Toontown that much nowadays. Even if Fantasyland were shut down entirely, there is still so much to do in Disney that cancelling a trip for a little construction would be ludicrous to me. But then again, I'm at the point where I've been so many times that I now like to go off the beaten path and find "new" discoveries, like the scenery, hidden Mickeys, etc.

Giselle
02-17-2010, 02:30 PM
It won't keep us away. I'm sure that Disney will plan it so that it won't detract from the magic too much. I can't wait to see the new improvements.

Ian
02-17-2010, 03:14 PM
I honestly didn't get the impression that Fantasyland was going to be "shut down" during all this.

I think the majority of it will remain open. Most of the construction for the new stuff is taking place in the area of Pooh's Playful Spot and Toontown.

I am looking forward to the changes and expansion, just wish they would bring back Mr. Toad's Wild Ride:mickey:Remember ... Toad lives in Disneyland! :thumbsup:

Bay Lake
02-17-2010, 04:05 PM
By the sound of the plan, only really Dumbo will be effected, the kids can just ride the magic carpets twice.

Ian
02-17-2010, 04:36 PM
By the sound of the plan, only really Dumbo will be effected, the kids can just ride the magic carpets twice.Even that probably won't be shut down, though.

I don't think they're actually going to relocate the existing Dumbo ride over to Toontown. My guess is they'll leave that one open and just build two new ones over in TT.

Giggy
02-18-2010, 10:10 AM
We aren't sure how the parks will be affected when we arrive in late August. If Toontown's gone that will be a little sad as that's our starting point on our first day in the parks, we take the train over to it.

This wouldn't put us off though, we go when we can and having been away for SIX years we're just ecstatic to be going again. There are plenty of our old favourites still there and 3 major rides that are new from our last visit: Expedition Everest, Soarin, Toy Story Mania.

kemps@wdw
02-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Refurbs are a necessary part of WDW, and a given. Certainly not even close to a good reason to stay away. (for us anyway). Always PLENTY more to do!:thumbsup:

Kathy Jetson
02-26-2010, 11:50 PM
Can't decide. We may skip 2011 and 2012 and go to disneyland in 2012 when they are done with DCA. We have never been and it seems like a good time to go. Either way we will do one or the other.:mickey:

javamama
02-27-2010, 12:11 AM
Obviously since I have a 3 yo dd she loves Fantasyland now, my ds likes it now. Toontown they can take or leave, I honestly don't even think we went there last year, so I'd say we'd still go but I may want to wait until it was all done to see something new is complete--kwim?

Dsnygirl
02-27-2010, 01:22 AM
Nothing will keep us away... I'm actually intrigued to see what they're doing, even if it's behind closed doors, and what progress they're making. ;)

We never spend a lot of time in F'land, anyway... the kids love the Teacups and we love Pooh and Peter Pan and Philharmagic, but that's about it.... and I can't wait to see how things change!

finaldynasty
04-25-2010, 07:59 PM
:mickey:
We will find something to celebrate in 2011, 2012, and 2013, so no it will not keep us away. We are looking at it from the stand point that it is only two years that with Fantasyland down then everthing will be up and running!
:mickey:

Mousemates
04-25-2010, 11:23 PM
no it won't keep us away, but it will likely impact our resort decisions...in that we will be more apt to stay at an epcot resort where we can walk to epcot and DS as opposed to staying at a monorail resort.

grumpyguy
04-26-2010, 07:22 AM
nope-we're going in sept.2010.
i've only been to toontown once.i can understand how the presence of some walls/barriers could distract from the "magic". in '06 when we were there they had a big crane by the castle,it looked alotta out of place.but,
would no way keep me from a trip to wdw:thumbsup:

cer
04-26-2010, 07:53 AM
Our household economy may keep us away, but not the work they are doing in Magic Kingdom.

joonyer
04-26-2010, 12:44 PM
The only thing that factors into our family's decision to go to WDW is our work and school schedules and our budget, and whenever those factors allow (not nearly often enough), we try to go to WDW. We don't go to WDW to see only one park, much less one section (land) or attraction. There if so much to see and do at WDW (remember, there are FOUR whole theme parks), that we would not let a refurb, even a major one, affect our decision to go. The stars line up too seldom for us to go to WDW anyway, so we would never let a refurb of anything, even our favorite attraction (Splash Mountain) keep us away when we have the opportunity to be there. It might be different if we could visit any and every time we felt like it.

vws_and_disney
04-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Nope. It would take a lot to keep me from Disney.

Belster
04-26-2010, 01:49 PM
We would never skip our trip just because 2 sections in 1 of 4 parks are closed down. No way!

November here we come!:mickey:

Fantasmic
04-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Yup, taking a break from WDW until 2013 most likely.

BUT I will be visiting DISNEYLAND in the interm :cloud9: (now that IS exciting!)

WDWNut02
04-29-2010, 09:54 AM
I said that after they closed the Adventurer's Club that I wouldn't want to go as often......so much for that. I can't deny my Disney addiction.

Emme&TeddysMommy
04-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Yup, taking a break from WDW until 2013 most likely.

BUT I will be visiting DISNEYLAND in the interm :cloud9: (now that IS exciting!)

That sounds like a great idea! Maybe we will try Disneyland during this refurb.

GoBlueLacheta
05-01-2010, 12:59 PM
By the sound of the plan, only really Dumbo will be effected, the kids can just ride the magic carpets twice.

Or Astro Orbiter...Or Tricertops Spin :D

TheVBs
05-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Nope. It won't keep us away. We still plan on going in Oct. 2011. We do visit Toontown every trip, but there's just too much else to do to worry about that being closed. :mickey:

Stu29573
05-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Nope. I just booked us for November...

plutosnana
05-02-2010, 02:54 PM
I would go now. Because in 2012 even on Mondays I would think they'll be packed. But I cannot imagen the lines for each attraction! I mean 1 attraction like Tot Story Mania is like 3 hours long in the afternoon! I wonder if each new ride would be like that??