PDA

View Full Version : Reservations for City Walk restaurants?

Goofy Pluto
02-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Hi everyone.

Do you need reservations to eat at any of the restaurants at Universal City Walk? Or are they recommended? Or are they all walk up? Thanks.

NJGIRL
02-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Universal is very different than Disney when it comes to meals. Their rules are not clear cut and can change as the wind blows IMO. Here is what the rules are today lol!

Most Universal restaurants book 30 days in advance only. If you get a nice person on the phone you may be able to squeeze 45 days out of them. During busy times like spring break they will extend booking to 45 days out.This also goes for the City Walk restaurants. Here are some exceptions. Character dining will book 6 months in advance. Emerils will book 6 months in advance. NBA will not take any reservations at all, they are walk in only. Hard Rock Cafe does their own booking and if you are club members you can book 60 days in advance on line.

We go in October and really don't have much trouble with out reservations (exception is the Hard Rock which we use our club card for.). My advice to you is to call 60 days prior (for the regular restaurants). You may be able to talk them into taking your reservation (I have before) or at least you can find out what he rules are for the time you are going then. :confused:

Goofy Pluto
02-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Is it like Disney where if you don't make an ADR you might not get a table? Can you just walk up?

NJGIRL
02-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Is it like Disney where if you don't make an ADR you might not get a table? Can you just walk up?

When are you going? We have made reservations for lunch in Oct while inside IOA and US and when we arrive some of the places have been empty. Dinners have been a little more crowded but we have always gotten into the places we wanted to eat. Please remember that Oct is a slow time for them. Also keep in mind that some places there is always a wait. Hard Rock Cafe is one of those places. Universal does not take it's dining as serious as Disney does so IMO it is much more relaxed and places are not as hard to get into.

Goofy Pluto
02-15-2010, 09:54 PM
When are you going?

Mid-August.

bkfree
02-16-2010, 11:18 PM
We are planning our first trip Sept. 4-10.
There will be my Husband and I and our two children ages 9 and 11. We will be staying at the Hard Rock. For first times what might be a don't miss for our first trip that you would suggest a reservation for.

Is there an Intercot equivilant for Universal?

NJGIRL
02-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Mid-August.

I would make reservations just to be safe, but if I'm not mistaken by mid August it is not as crowded as June & July but more crowded than Oct. It won't hurt to have them it will be an advantage.

NJGIRL
02-17-2010, 10:00 AM
We are planning our first trip Sept. 4-10.
There will be my Husband and I and our two children ages 9 and 11. We will be staying at the Hard Rock. For first times what might be a don't miss for our first trip that you would suggest a reservation for.

Is there an Intercot equivilant for Universal?

If you are thinking about eating at the Hard Rock Cafe I would make reservations for that. Emeril and any character dining you will need reservations for. Our favorite is Finnegan's in the Studio. Inside of the two parks there are not many TS choices (it's not like Disney). Most are counter service so that's why I always suggest reservations. City Walk has quit a few TS restaurants but they do get crowded at dinner time. Mythos has been said to be an excellant restaurant but we have never eaten there. Universal dining is much more "go with the flow" than Disney but you will be ahead of the game if you make reservations.

At 9 & 11 I think your kids will love the Universal rides. Have a great time!

bkfree
02-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Well now It seems we are either staying at Portifino or Royal Pacific, we have rates at these just about the same as at Hard Rock. No, we are not planning on eating at Hard Rock, have done it in other cities.
My son is an absolute Basketball nut, so we wanted to eat at NBA and was wondering about it?
Our package comes with a free breakfast for the four of us at the New Three Broomsticks in Harry Potter Land.
Just was not sure about the other places. We are curious to see how a none ADR driven trip will go. We so LOVE the DDP and making ADR's going completely without a few prearranged things feels at loose ends.
I will be celebrating my 50th Birthday on Mon. while there and was wondering about where to go that is both adult and kid friendly. Though I might at least like to make a ressie for that night. Since we are staying onsite, we can also go to one of the 3 Hotels Resuarants, if one of them seems right.
Thanks.