PDA

View Full Version : Teppan Edo vs. Tokyo Dining

MarkC
02-14-2010, 10:25 PM
DW and I were discussing dining options and decided we would like to eat at a nice Japanese place since this will be our first trip (July 2010) without the kids. I was aware of Teppan Edo, but when I went to the Disney website they also offered Tokyo Dining. Does anyone know what the difference is, where the two are in relation to each other, cost, past experience, etc.? Thanks for any help we can obtain. Mark

MNNHFLTX
02-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Teppan Edo is a Japanese-steakhouse type of restaurant (where patrons sit at the table which is also a grill and the chef cooks up the chicken, beef, seafood, whatever, right there at the table). Tokyo Dining specializes in sushi, although they also serve a variety of other dishes. They are located in the same building as Teppan Edo and I have heard nothing but good reviews about both.

SBETigg
02-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Tokyo Dining does perhaps specialize in sushi, but they have a lot more to offer than just sushi, and you can order sushi items in Teppan Edo as well. Tokyo Dining also has tempura and Japanese grill, and some noodle dishes.You should check out the menus (info central) and decide if you want more of the fun, social experience (Teppan Edo) or a quiet, more focused dining experience (Tokyo Dining). The real difference between them is the service style and atmosphere, not necessarily the food (though that does differ in some ways, too).

Rosemickey68
02-16-2010, 02:34 PM
The food is generally the same, I think if you look at the menus on here there are slight differences. The main difference is at Teppan Edo you sit around the grill and are entertained by the chef and watch him/her cook your food and you have a server/servers bring you drinks and the non-cooked items (salad/desserts for example). Keep in mind that 8 people sit around the grill, so if you don't have a party of 8, you may be seated with another party.
Tokyo Dining you sit at a table and are waited on by a server.
We ate at Teppan Edo and the food was great! I think it is a matter of choice in what is comfortable for your family.

MNNHFLTX
02-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Actually Tokyo Dining has a very extensive sushi menu, compared to the limited offerings offered at Teppan Edo. That said, you might be able to request to order items off of Tokyo Dining's sushi menu, even if you are dining at Teppan Edo--I'm not sure, but they are right next to each other, so it's possible. That is, if you're interested in sushi. :tasty:

Jared
02-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Having eaten at both restaurants, I view Tokyo Dining as a more authentic Japanese dining experience, while Teppan Edo is essentially a glorified Benihana.

If you appreciate sushi and more exotic offerings, consider trying Tokyo Dining. You probably have a serviceable, cheaper Japanese steakhouse in your hometown that rivals Teppan Edo in quality and atmosphere.

SBETigg
02-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Plus, if you're looking for a more romantic atmosphere, I think Tokyo Dining will be the quieter, more intimate choice of the two.

MOJoe
02-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Plus, if you're looking for a more romantic atmosphere, I think Tokyo Dining will be the quieter, more intimate choice of the two.

Agreed! You can even get a glimpse of Illuminations if you time it right. Save Teppan Edo for when you have the kids.