PDA

View Full Version : Props to San Angel

Ian
02-11-2010, 07:49 PM
I mean to post this earlier and just flat-out forgot, but I wanted to give a brief review of our recent dinner at San Angel Inn. I've been fairly critical of the food there in the past, so I felt like I should also give credit where credit is due as our meal was quite good this time.

We had dinner there. We didn't have an ADR, but we were seated promptly. We didn't have a great view of the Gran Fiesta Tour ride, but the table had to be for five so our seating choices were probably a bit limited.

Our servers (yes, there were two) were very friendly and helpful. Having just been in Mexico for the better part of a week last year, expectations were pretty high for us since we'd previously experienced some real Mexican cooking.

At the server's recommendation I chose the Mole Poblano (one of my favorite Mexican dishes). DW had the Pollo a las Rajas and our friend Beth had the Mahi-Mahi.

All three of us thought our dishes were excellent and I just can't say enough about our servers. They were definitely the best we had the entire trip. When I complimented the cooking and explained about having been in Mexico last year, they were both very excited and really enjoyed talking with me about it, how we liked the food, and all that. Very friendly!

Dessert was also top notch. I went adventurous (for me) and had the Arroz con Leche (which is rice pudding with raisins and caramel). I wasn't disappointed ... it was delicious!

All in all we had a really great dining experience there. I think it may have been our best meal of the trip. I don't know if they've stepped up there game, if we just got lucky, or if maybe dinner is the way to go (our last couple bad meals there were lunches).

So if you've been considering San Angel, but were scared off by some of the bad reviews lately, here's a good one to balance them out. I'd say give it a shot!

faline
02-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Although I haven't dined there recently, it's actually one of my favorite Disney restaurants. I love the ambience and, unlike other reports, we've always had wonderful and friendly service here. Also, we've never found the meals lacking and have always walked away feeling we had dined well.

ElenitaB
02-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks, Ian. I always order Mole there as well, as it's one of my favorite dishes. Most of my exposure to Mexican food has been in Mexico and not here in the US, and I've never really found the food to be as awful as many report here. Glad you all had a good experience.

DisneyorBust
02-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the review Ian. We have discussed trying this restaurant in the past and have hesitated due to the majority of reviews being negative. I'm an optimist by nature so I really like reading the positive reviews!

SBETigg
02-12-2010, 08:35 AM
We've had some good meals at San Angel (and some "meh" meals, but never a bad one) and it's a favorite of ours for the atmosphere. It's a must do when we're there with our kids-- their favorite. But when I was there with my husband (no kids) last year, we stopped in for a drink and snack and they were very accommodating. I love the mango margaritas (real pureed mango, different from the ones outside at the stand). We shared a duck appetizer that was really quite good. I'm so glad to hear some praise for San Angel Inn for a change. Thanks, Ian.

kathiep
02-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the update. We had previously eaten there and did not have a great experience so it wasn't on our list of places to try again. I have been playing with my ADR's all week....I can make my reservations in just a few days. Now I fear I may have to start tweaking everything again. ;)

Ian
02-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Let me just say that the two prior meals we had eaten at San Angel (both lunches) made me long for Taco Bell. I don't know if we just picked the wrong entrees or what, but the food was really really bad.

The service and ambiance has always been good, though. I will say that. I've heard other people say that dinner is far better than lunch, too, so that might have contributed to it. The dinners I had there before were good, so we were actually shocked to have the two bad lunches there in a row.

LVT
02-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the positive review. W hang out a lot in Epcot, but I was leary of this place

WelshieLover
02-12-2010, 05:02 PM
I too was leary about going here after reading all the bad reviews but my son and his girlfriend chose it for our January trip. We went for lunch and really enjoyed it so much that we went for lunch without an ADR on our final day. Our service was very good, refills on soft drinks brought without having to ask for them. The margaritas were very good and so was the food. Not our best meal but up near the top.

#1donaldfan
02-12-2010, 05:14 PM
....dang !!!! now, your gonna make me go back.....it has been our worst meal ever, anywhere !!! We lived over seas in excess of two years and had mostly mexican type food every single day. Upon entering San Angel we had super high expectations and they truly failed to supply....both food and service...I will say that the atmosphere is wonderful though ..... well, thanks for the positive review and we will probably give "her" another try in the near future....again, thanks.....!!:thumbsup:

BrerGnat
02-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Have they switched from the Tostitos chips and jarred salsa yet? Because, for me, that KILLED my last dining experience there.

I have always liked SAI, but my last trip there was SUPER disappointing, so much so that I have never wanted to return. However, that was in 2005...

I'd LOVE to go back there if it's truly improved.

SBETigg
02-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Have they switched from the Tostitos chips and jarred salsa yet? Because, for me, that KILLED my last dining experience there.

I have always liked SAI, but my last trip there was SUPER disappointing, so much so that I have never wanted to return. However, that was in 2005...

I think it has Tostitos sponsorship, so they're probably not going to stray from the Tostitos and salsa. But that's such a small part of your experience. I like good chips and salsa too, but it's more like the bread service at a restaurant-- a nice extra but it's not going to make or break my experience (though I understand if it does for you, and it sounds like you had even more problems than just that).

Rekenna
02-12-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed your dining experience. This is one of our favorite restaurants. We have never had a bad experience here. We love the ambience and food. Last time I had steak tacos, not sure of the actual name of the item, but very good.

Ian
02-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Have they switched from the Tostitos chips and jarred salsa yet? Because, for me, that KILLED my last dining experience there.You know I'll be honest ... I don't really remember the chips very well. For some reason, I'm thinking they were more like traditional Mexican tortilla chips than Tostitos, but I can't say for sure.

The salsa was actually really good. It was very, very chunky (as in, almost all veggies and no "sauce") which is the way traditional Mexican salsa should be. It also had a nice "kick", which was a pleasant surprise.

Stu29573
02-13-2010, 09:04 AM

Actually, I just did a marketing study on some new products from Tostitos that are totally different from their normal blah stuff. I wonder if they are now using those chips and salsa instead? :confused:

beksy
02-18-2010, 08:21 AM
We love San Angel Inn and have to go there every trip. Last trip we weren't going to do it but when we were on the other side of world showcase (almost exactly opposite) Mom decided I should "run over and see if we could get ADRs" (said the person in the ECV to the one who had to walk all the way over and back!) It just wasn't a trip to Disney without a trip to San Angel Inn. :mickey:

MarkC
02-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Glad you had a good meal. We did several years ago as well. However, last year my wife and I dined there and were very disappointed with both our food and the service. I swore I would never go back. And I am not the type of person that would normally post negative reviews or worry about it, but it was really bad. Maybe they have turned things around, but I doubt we'll be going there in July. Maybe we'll try it again in a year or so...

WelshieLover
02-18-2010, 12:32 PM
BrerGnat,

When we were there in Janaury it was a fresh salsa not the jarred stuff, a pico de gallo. It was not the best I have ever had, but it was way better than the jar variety.

Ian
02-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Glad you had a good meal. We did several years ago as well. However, last year my wife and I dined there and were very disappointed with both our food and the service. I swore I would never go back. And I am not the type of person that would normally post negative reviews or worry about it, but it was really bad. Maybe they have turned things around, but I doubt we'll be going there in July. Maybe we'll try it again in a year or so...Can't say I blame you. We waited close to four years before we went back. When you have a truly bad dining experience it really sticks with you.

So to speak. ;)

BrerGnat
02-18-2010, 03:33 PM
My last visit was complete with a table so close to the restrooms it was unnerving. Despite about 15 open tables, there were "no other tables open." Then, my waiter just totally ignored me and I needed a water refill pretty badly. I considered refilling my glass in the bathroom tap... Then, my food was cold. It was overall bad.

And, since I can eat "authentic" (like, REALLY authentic) Mexican food all the time here, I am totally spoiled by homemade tortilla chips at most places (and usually fried in LARD!) :secret: I eat Mexican food like twice a week, so a week at WDW without Mexican food is VERY hard for me. ;) For me, a place that claims to serve "authentic" Mexican food, and then sets down bagged chips at the table, is really disappointing.

I'm all about pico de gallo, so at least THAT is an improvement.

I think I'll give it a try if we can snag a walk up dinner at some point. I have some ADRs made, but I have NO idea how my children will handle the switch over three time zones, so I think we'll just have to play it by ear.

SBETigg
02-18-2010, 03:42 PM
I wouldn't accept a bathroom table for a second time, Natalie. Yikes. I can understand your disappointment with that. Maybe with the new tequila bar they have stepped it up in the chips and salsa. Would be an improvement.

RAIDER
02-20-2010, 11:15 AM
We went last Dec for the first time and we would throughly recommend it . ( Went for lunch ) :marg:
The service was excellent and the menu was varied .
However maybe i am getting old but it was a tad too dark in there when it came to reading the menus :blush:

Kathy Jetson
02-21-2010, 12:48 AM
I have always wanted to eat there but have been afraid because of reviews I've read on here. Maybe this year we will give it a try. I would love to get a table with a view of the water.

Rekenna
02-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Just made an ADR for lunch for next Sunday. Can't wait! San Angel is DH's fave.:mickey:

DVC2004
02-22-2010, 08:43 AM
I think the atmosphere here is really nice and we've always had good service. It's more traditional Mexican style food than most are used to (as opposed to Tex-Mex style) but I had a really great salad here at lunch. We've always enjoyed it here. Thanks for the nice review!