PDA

View Full Version : Claustrophobic queue for Toy Story?

Granny Jill A
02-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Is it just me or is anyone else freaked out by the stairway part of TSM queue? The steep stairs and circus tent-like atmosphere gives me the heeby-jeebies. I feel like there's no air moving and that the walls are closing in on me in that part of the line.

MaxPower
02-11-2010, 02:54 PM
No offense to Jill, but this post reminds me of how everyone experiences something differently and then Disney feels a need to make unnecessary changes to "soften" it.

Much like the Mission Space and Alien Encounter debates and whether they were too intense in their original forms - my fear is that Disney will water down everything to the point that it will be tame even for the two-year olds.

I hope that train whistle doesn't startle anyone, because then those trains will have to go. And Space Mountain is TOO DARK- so let's just keep the lights on.

Again Jill, my response is not about you, but it made me think about how I feel Disney goes overboard sometimes in response to those who are sensitive.

MNNHFLTX
02-11-2010, 03:09 PM
I can't say that I've experienced claustrophobia at that particular place in the queue. But I can understand why it might feel that way to some people, especially during the hot summer months. It gets very muggy in there.

*Just a reminder to everyone to keep responses on topic, please.*

SBETigg
02-11-2010, 05:10 PM
It doesn't bother me, but I'm sure you're not the only one.

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-11-2010, 06:18 PM
I agree with the OP - the whole "shove you into the steep stairs" part takes away from the rest of the GREAT queue and I always feel crammed in to that part.

lindique
02-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Are those staircases necessary to the ride? Or were they just put there to "park" people. I don't understand the whole point of having them at all - they don't seem to go anywhere. They don't bother me, but I imagine they are a problem for people with mobility issues and small kids.

mouseketeer mom
02-11-2010, 07:11 PM
They don't bother me either..I know when I get to those stairs that we are "almost there"..I have always thought they were awkward though..they feel out of place.

Ian
02-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Are those staircases necessary to the ride? Or were they just put there to "park" people. I don't understand the whole point of having them at all - they don't seem to go anywhere. They don't bother me, but I imagine they are a problem for people with mobility issues and small kids.They are required as they elevate waiting riders over the ride track so they can board.

That being said, I've been pressed in there when it's hot and everyone is all sweaty and stinky and I have to say it's not a very magical experience. I also find it sort of awkward (especially with kids) standing on stairs in a queue. I don't find it that big a deal, though.

Are there any other Disney attractions with stairs in the queue? I'm struggling to think of any off the top of my head. :confused:

Joannelet
02-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Are there any other Disney attractions with stairs in the queue? I'm struggling to think of any off the top of my head. :confused:

Not that I can think of...it is a bit weird to have stairs...you would think maybe a ramp or something could have been done. I mean pirates and space mountain have those moving walkways up steep inclines......I wonder if they could have done something like that but wanted to save on costs....so built stairs.....

crltkcagle
02-11-2010, 07:57 PM
It does get quite stuffy in there! For me though the worst is HM! You get out of the room with the dropping walls and then they herd you in like cattle to form a single line! I keep waiting for a cm to poke me with an electric rod to get me to move faster! LOL I am always scared my kids are gonna get trampled in there too!

Polynesian Dweller
02-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Not that I can think of...it is a bit weird to have stairs...you would think maybe a ramp or something could have been done. I mean pirates and space mountain have those moving walkways up steep inclines......I wonder if they could have done something like that but wanted to save on costs....so built stairs.....

I don't think it has anything to do with cost but rather limited space. Stairs and a ramp would be about equivalent cost. The ride is in a converted studio not a building specifically built for the ride.

Once you get into the ride you can see that the stairs are really a bridge over the ride track much like the bridge over the speedway at MK. They had to get up high enough over the track in a fairly short space and a ramp to the same height would have taken a lot longer space.

To the OPs point, I can understand the claustrophobic feeling, it is a bit tight and the theming certainly is a let down compared to everything else about the ride. Wish they'd done something a bit more imaginative in there.

KylesMom
02-11-2010, 10:12 PM
For me, it's not claustrophobic - however, we've seen so many kids and adults alike who have tripped on the stairs - both going up, and going down. If you have a few over-zealous guests who are in a hurry and aren't looking where they're going, they can topple a few people in a hurry. We've seen it repeatedly, and that's why DH - who's 6'5" - stands behind both DS and I; to stop the domino effect. Ramps would certainly be more cohesive in this situation than stairs, IMHO.

joanna71985
02-11-2010, 10:38 PM

Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, and Dinosaur come to mind (I also want to say Space Mountain, but not positive).

MaxPower
02-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Since the stairs are right at the point where the standby line and Fast Pass line merge, it would be easy for the cast member there to hold back the riders for just a bit so that people on the stairs could actually climb them without having to stand on them as they wait.

I think most people would be fine to wait an extra minute or two in order to actually just walk through the stairs portion of the queue rather than being jammed into them and forced to wait in that crowded stairs area.

fielin
02-12-2010, 04:17 AM
Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, and Dinosaur come to mind (I also want to say Space Mountain, but not positive).

And in Disneyland Paris : Crush's Coaster, RnR Coaster, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, and I'm sure there are others.

MNNHFLTX
02-12-2010, 02:08 PM
They also use stairs in a similar manner at several rides at the parks in California.

PirateLover
02-12-2010, 02:39 PM
I don't feel claustrophobic per say, but it's definitely the worst part of the queue and can get uncomfortable. Some people just don't know the meaning of personal space! We are all going to get on the ride soon, sidling up right next to me isn't gonna get you on board any sooner!!!

Mickey'sGirl
02-12-2010, 02:42 PM
I find the Toy Story Mania one to be very close indeed! Worse though, is getting caught waiting on a downward staircase. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and trudge my way through the parks without aids, but going down stairs in particuar, just about kills me.

Like KylesMom, we use the bigger guy (DH) to block the domino effect, and the other bigger guy (me) to corral the younger members of our team from the front on the stairs. At least they aren't escallators!

Ian
02-12-2010, 03:43 PM
It does get quite stuffy in there! For me though the worst is HM! You get out of the room with the dropping walls and then they herd you in like cattle to form a single line! I keep waiting for a cm to poke me with an electric rod to get me to move faster! LOL I am always scared my kids are gonna get trampled in there too!I hear ya on this one. If you go when it's busy, that loading area can get really, really nuts. I've been in there once or twice when I was actually modestly concerned for my kids' safety. People get pushing and shoving and there's just this herd mentality ... kinda scary. Don't think they'd build that queue the same way if they were building the ride today. Manners ain't what they used to be.

I don't think it has anything to do with cost but rather limited space. Stairs and a ramp would be about equivalent cost. The ride is in a converted studio not a building specifically built for the ride.I agree. Since it wasn't a purpose-built space for the ride, I'm sure they did what they had to do to make it work. To elevate via a ramp or moving walkway would have taken up just too much space.

Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, and Dinosaur come to mind (I also want to say Space Mountain, but not positive).Space and Splash definitely do, you're right. Can't think of where there are stairs on Big Thunder, though?

I know the Jungle Cruise queue in DL has stairs, as well.

JabberJaws
02-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Try the queue for the former Dueling Dragons at IOA. Now THERE is a clausterphobic queue.

BigThunderFan
02-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Space and Splash definitely do, you're right. Can't think of where there are stairs on Big Thunder, though?

I don't recall stairs on Big Thunder either...:confused: There are the two long ramps going down into the load area, but that is the only area where there would be stairs.

Ian
02-13-2010, 08:11 AM
I don't recall stairs on Big Thunder either...:confused: There are the two long ramps going down into the load area, but that is the only area where there would be stairs.And with a name like BigThunderFan, you oughta know! :thumbsup:

badkitty
02-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Big Thunder has stairs in CA. The queue walks you under the tracks and then you have to climb up to the platform.

The large room release of HM, Dinosaur, and ToT bother me as other posters have said. It is so easy to get separated and many people just don't care as they push their way forward. I always keep my group back until the crowd thins out. Besides, if you hang back at HM, you can hear a special treat that those who rush out never hear!

joanna71985
02-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Ok, I have to say I was wrong about BTMRR. It has ramps (not stairs). Sorry! :blush:

biodtl
02-15-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm not claustrophobic, but I definitely don't love that part of the line - it's hard to stand in line on steps with little ones. That said, I prefer steps to a ramp, because an bad injury has made it hard for DH to walk easily on ramps, but steps are fine. Although going down steps is hard for him, too.

blondeinbrandon
02-15-2010, 12:45 PM
For those of you with physical limitations - just tell the cast member you can't do stairs and they let you walk around to the handicap lane.
I have spinal nerve damage and can't do stairs. They are very nice about letting me go that way.:thumbsup:
I don't understand why the stairs are needed as they don't use them on the handicap side.

tmosier
02-15-2010, 02:51 PM
I felt claustrophobic in Toy Story Mania too, but it wasn't as bad as when I was stuck in The Great Movie Ride when it was packed to the gills with people. Get me outta there!

NJDad
02-16-2010, 05:39 AM
I don't understand why the stairs are needed as they don't use them on the handicap side.

On that side, you get in and out of the vehicles on the same side, which Disney doesn't like to have happen (except on rides like Dumbo) because of the time it adds.

The TSM attraction does seem able to add the handicapped vehicles whenever they're ready, unlike most every other ride in the World, which keeps the ride moving for everyone.

It's also easier to wrangle the people in the inside of the circle the vehicles load in (where the steps end up) rather than sending people around the outside of it (which they would have to do if they didn't have the stairs land you in the middle of it).

Ian
02-16-2010, 09:59 AM
I don't understand why the stairs are needed as they don't use them on the handicap side.Pretty simple really ... they load handicapped guests from the other side of the track by loading them into cars that are kept off the main section of track for that specific purpose.

But there's nowhere near enough room to house the entire length of the line for TSM.

Totodog
02-17-2010, 02:02 PM
The Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse has stairs also. That one gives me vertigo though.

seanyred
02-17-2010, 04:30 PM
We have yet to ride TSM at Disney World (only rode it at Disneyland). I was wondering are the stairs a bigger issue for the Stand-By line than the Fastpass line?

Also my DW will be 6month pregnant when we go do you think she would be able to use the handicapped line in order to avoid the stairs?

Ian
02-17-2010, 04:35 PM
We have yet to ride TSM at Disney World (only rode it at Disneyland). I was wondering are the stairs a bigger issue for the Stand-By line than the Fastpass line?No. Same stairs in both queues.

Also my DW will be 6month pregnant when we go do you think she would be able to use the handicapped line?Not that I know of. My wife and my cousin's wife have both been to WDW while anywhere from 3 months to 8 months pregnant and both just did what they could do and skipped what they couldn't. I don't believe Disney offers special accomodations to pregnant women.

joanna71985
02-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Also my DW will be 6month pregnant when we go do you think she would be able to use the handicapped line in order to avoid the stairs?

If someone has issues with stairs, they can go up to the wheelchair area (of course, it's possible the party may get split up, since the car can only hold so many people). Just be aware that at times, the wheelchair area wait is MUCH MUCH longer then the regular line (since there can only be 2 wheelchair cars on the track, as opposed to 16 regular line cars).

NJDad
02-18-2010, 06:16 AM
The FP and standby lines joined before the stairs when we were there.

Occasionally they will also take folks from the pre-stairs area to fill in empty seats in the handicapped cars, so you can skip the stairs randomly (happened twice to us).

DisneyLuver91
02-19-2010, 09:38 PM
I hate to be off topic, but I really do remember BTMRR having stairs at the beginning of the queue. MUCH later, you get to the ramps that lead you back down to the trains. As I recall, the queue in there is also VERY claustrophobic, especially in summer because it doesn't have any A/C. Maybe this is a pattern: Stairs in queue = very claustrophobic... Hmmm... :confused: