PDA

View Full Version : Carribean Beach -vs- ASMovies

Missy_Mouses_Dad
02-11-2010, 01:55 PM
DW and DD14 are waivering between these two resorts. Does anybody have any info as far as the rooms, food, walking distance to main building, etc. Thanks, Mike :mickey:

MaxPower
02-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Generally, you will have to walk further staying at Carribean Beach.

pokci
02-11-2010, 02:59 PM
On this site check info central and resorts. I've stayed at both and while I liked the slightly better accomodations at CBR, I will say that depending on where you get a room, the walk to the main building can be ridiculously long. ASM can get very loud as a lot of kids stay there but the food court is great, the theming is great and the walking is closer. That said, CBR has closer bus rides to everything except AK. However, the CBR busses stop at each "island". ASM is closest to AK. There are many sites that can recommend the best "island" and room to ask for at CBR. CBR has a lake and beach and lush surroundings and private pools, ASM does not.

Ms. Mode
02-11-2010, 03:31 PM
CBR also has an internal bus that will take you to the "hub" (as we call it) where the main pool is. We just came back from our first stay there and I have to say..it was wonderful :thumbsup:

PirateLover
02-11-2010, 04:19 PM
We have stayed at both resorts, in fact All Star Movies was our most recent trip (last June).
The CBR trip was a few years ago... December of 2005. We enjoyed ASMovies much more. I assume some of our major problems with CBR have been resolved as there has been room refurbishments since then, but we found the bus system (having to stop at each Island) annoying. The All Stars also share buses but we had more issues with the buses being full and passing us by in the morning at CBR then at All Star... Depending on where your room is you may have to do a lot of walking if you want to get to the main building or food court. We were lucky enough at Movies to get a room in Fantasia section, which was very close to the main pool, building, and bus stop so that might also color our opinion. Though we were right next to the pool in the heat of summer, we did not find the resort to be "loud." AS Food court is very big and has a nice selection; CBR was smaller and very difficult to find a table in the morning.

At the end of the day you will find people who had good and bad experiences at both resorts. Look at photos, menus, and pricing and see which resort is going to suit you the best. I personally could not justify the price difference.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
02-11-2010, 04:38 PM
I guess I will throw another wrench in the works...through the wonders of Magical Journey's, we are able to stay at CBR for our original price at AS-Movies. With the same offer, we can save $190 plus move to a preferred building at AS-Movies...clear as mud right!! thanks, again.

AllDisney
02-11-2010, 05:43 PM
If money is no object & you plan on staying at the resort to use the pools etc then say at the CBR. I think you really need to take advantage of the resort to put up with the price difference.

We were just there Dec 09 and we didn't take advantage of the resort at all. We just used the resort as our hotel only. The bus service was fine. No big issues.

Have stayed at the values & enjoyed them very much. The bus service is fine. Never had any MAJOR issues as far as transportation goes.

No matter where you stay, when you rely on WDW transportation , there can always be an issue or not. For example, stayed at the AKL and waited for over 30 minutes for a bus to take us to Epcot. Stayed at Pop and gave up trying to get onto the bus for MK. After about 35 minutes and 4 buses later we took the bus to Epcot & took the monorail back to MK. But that is life at WDW and it's no big deal. We don't stress about it we just move onto to finding a solution.

The grounds at CBR are very pretty & has a great tropical feel. Happy decision making:mickey:

Missy_Mouses_Dad
02-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks for all the help. With the assistance of Magical Journeys (who truly are Magical), we were able to book a preferred room at CBR for a minimal increase over our originally booked stay at AS-Movies.

We get to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and dd14's 15th birthday in June!!

Magical Journeys is wonderful!!

ryca1dreams
02-13-2010, 08:58 AM
Generally, you will have to walk further staying at Carribean Beach.

This is probably true, but the walk at CBR is so relaxing, it is worth it.

WVParkfan
02-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks for all the help. With the assistance of Magical Journeys (who truly are Magical), we were able to book a preferred room at CBR for a minimal increase over our originally booked stay at AS-Movies.

We get to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and dd14's 15th birthday in June!!

Magical Journeys is wonderful!!

Congratulations. I know you'll love CBR. All Star Movies is a great resort, but there is truly a difference between moderates and values. You get what you pay for. And with such monumental events this summer (25th Anniv and 15th birthday), I'm sure you'll be thrilled with the choice you made.

mickeys_princess_mom
02-15-2010, 03:17 PM
This is probably true, but the walk at CBR is so relaxing, it is worth it.
I agree! You'll love the CBR! We were there for our 25th! Beautiful, and a nice change of pace for you! Have fun!

waymickey
02-15-2010, 06:52 PM
I recomend the Carribean beach resort. However I have never stayed there. I was however at ASM for one night last summer. ASM was very lived in. Rugs, bedspread, sink and shower were not dirty but not clean either. The food court was worn and need of some renovations. But the main reason I would not go there is that most guest were in there late teens& early twenties. They partied all night long, visably drunk and (getting busy if ya know what I mean) in the pool. It was more like staying a disney frat party then a family vacation. I was uncomfortable with my 14 year old.

mom2morgan
02-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Glad to hear it! My advice was going to be that a moderate is always better than a value, if money isn't the issue. With the great deal you got, I think it is totally the right choice!

wmdaddy
02-16-2010, 07:37 AM
If you will have a car, CBR is very nice. If not, stay at ASMovies. I would never stay at CBR or Coronado without a car.

disneyworld55925592
02-16-2010, 10:42 AM
CBR will be a bit more expensive due to being a moderate resort. Its actually larger then ASmovies as well. If your worried about walking distance I would stay at ASmovies and pay for a preferred room. It will be closer to the pool and food court. It will also still probably be cheeper than a normal room at CBR. The food court is good for both! Good luck

SurferStitch
02-16-2010, 02:10 PM
DH and I were having the same exact debate as the OP, but we decided on a preferred room at ASM.

Reasons:

1. Only doing a 5 day trip, and will be spending more time in the parks than during our 12-14 day trips. I don't want to pay extra for amenities I won't use. On longer trips, we spend a lot more time at the resort.

2. Saved about $135 getting the preferred room at ASM over a standard room at CBR. On this trip where we aren't doing real fancy dinners, that's a couple of meals with our TiW discount. Or, it's another cool D&B purse!

3. Trying to save as much as possible on this trip because we plan to do an October trip, too, and money is a little snug.

We do love CBR, though. It was a tough decision, but from what I've heard from people who have stayed at ASM, it's really fun. We're looking forward to trying yet another new resort!

tnpoohbear
02-18-2010, 10:33 AM
We are staying in July at Caribbean Beach in a Pirate Room which I have read is far away from the main area and that this is a huge resort!

I love ASM maybe it is because I was a child of the 60's and love the theming from those old disney movies. We always stayed in the preferred building, Fantasia, which was right next door to the food court, bus stop, and pool!

I love to stay at the deluxe resorts but I am just as happy at ASM - my kids are snobs and always want the deluxe.:mickey: