PDA

View Full Version : More Princesses at WDW? Ugh!

Rekenna
02-10-2010, 10:09 PM
I was reading here on Intercot about the anticipated changes/updates to Fantasyland. Each Princess is getting her own section!:ack: Give me a break!

As a mom of 3 boys, the Princess thing is getting really old. I get that Disney is making mucho dinero, but enough already!

What about a Toy Story section at MK? Or Cars, Robin Hood, something. Oh well. Does anyone else feel like this about the Princess stuff? What about a Toy Story dining experience? Or a Pirates dining experience? We went to T-Rex on our last trip for this reason, geared towards kids who like Dinos and no Princesses!

MaxPower
02-10-2010, 11:07 PM
I agree that Disney has a problem with finding something that appeals to boys the way the Princesses do to girls.

Yes, there are Pirates and Cars - but they really appeal to young boys. It's 2010 now and most 10 -13 year old boys are too old for those type of attractions. They live for Video Games- which explains the popularity of Buzz and Toy Story Mania - essentially ride-through video games. Take a look sometime and notice how many pre-teen and early teen boys ride those two attractions alone with no parents in sight.

Disney needs to theme some more attractions that take into account what the boys of of this decade like - which means more Technology , Gaming and Thrill elements.

I'm sure many people will post about how their boys love the current attractions- and I agree that many do. My point is that I agree with the original post that there is still a void.

Rhetoric2000
02-11-2010, 04:29 AM
It's an interesting situation actually. My thoughts on this:

- It is harder to market to boys than girls by a country mile. I actually think it's a little unfair to suggest that Disney haven't tried to cater to boys, it's just that the more "boyish" additions (Motor Show, Mission Space, Test Track, even T-Rex) are really niche - something specific like Cars is going to turn off as many boys as it attracts. There is simply nothing as universally appealing to boys as princesses/glamour is to girls. For every boy that loves comics/motorsports/space/pirates, there is anothe that thinks it's stupid.

- I agree that Princesses are going to be saturated very soon. It is because, like Pixar, Disney didn't plan ahead and as a result they are currently scattered. The Fantasyland Expansion actually sounds great to me - provided princesses/fairies are removed from any other section of the Disney property and there is just one place you should/can go to see them.

- As for what to provide the boys. The issue with computer style games is that they can experience that at home. For the most part boys (and indeed those girls who don't like princess stuff) are best off DOING stuff, which is why something like the Speedway, which is essentially rubbish, still have huge queues. Other boy-popular attractions like BLSRS and TSM involve a level of control. I think Disney need to start looking at a major attraction that involves a significant level of the experience being controlled/driven by the guest (in the real world, not on the screen like they get at home). Even something like a choose-the-story dark ride (Robin Hood would be very suitable for this).

- Finally going back to the OP - Are we now suggesting that we never have new-theme attractions again? It seems everything is now being attached to a (usually newish) Disney property. It always makes me sad to think that Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion would simply not happen nowadays. Instead of Thunder we'd have something like "Woody's Wacky Frontier Debacle" and Mansion would become "Jack Sparrow's jumping-out-of-various-locations Mayhem".

- As I said, I actually really like the look of the Fantasyland Expansion, but if it doesn't keep all the Princess stuff in one place it will continue to verify that Disney is increasingly going from a family resort to a girls-and-very-small-childern resort.

SBETigg
02-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Oh no, a whole area of one land for princesses? So unfair! What is there for boys? Let's see... all these years we've had Frontierland (so girly), Tom Sawyer Island, Pirates, Buzz Lightyear, Indy Speedway, Peter Pan, and characters of all kinds in meets. There's a whole land for dinosaurs at the AK. But wow, a few princess-centric breakfasts and now an area that revolves around princesses alone, and boys are being discriminated against at WDW.

I get it. I do. I have a son. But boys seem to lose interest in the character breakfast earlier. Once they reach a certain age, the character breakfasts seem like they're for younger kids and boys want no part of them whether you have pirates or Pooh. But girls? Girls will hit teen years and still want princesses. I know grown women who want to see the princesses and those character breakfasts. So really, I understand why there are character breakfasts with the general favorites (Mickey and friends) and Pooh characters, and then a few revolving around princesses. And as for having one area of one park that focuses on princesses? I think it's only fair, and near the castle is where they belong.

Gregandmel
02-11-2010, 07:52 AM
I have 2 boys - ages 18 & 9 and we went to Disney World for the first time as a family last October. We are going again in April. Although there is certainly a fair number of "girly" things there - never once have either of the boys complained about it. There are so many things to do at Disney World that I don't think they've ever thought that it's geared specifically towards girls more than boys. I think they get the whole "Princess" thing with the castle, etc.... They love all of Adventure Land & Liberty Square & Tomorrowland and although we always hit ALL the rides in Fantasyland - the only one they've ever complained about was "It's a Small World" ha ha. I would love to see a Pirate Themed Area, but my younger son rides Pirates over and over. I agree with the above poster though that it's much easier to market to girls than boys. HOwever - many high thrill areas in each of the parks for everyone - and in a few years, we'll probably hit the new Harry Potter area over at Universal. But I DO agree that it would be nice to have an area more catered to boys

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
02-11-2010, 08:30 AM
I vote for as many princesses as they can put in there! That means more beautiful women I get to have my picture taken with!!! LOL!!!!:mickey:

disneyluva
02-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Have DD 8, and DS 6. He loves all character breakfasts. However, I've been asking for years - Where is the Toy Story/Monsters Inc. Character Meal?!? That would be a gold mine. Why hasn't it been done? DD would also love it!

Ms. Mode
02-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Well, I would just add 'villians' to the pirates and Toy Story character meals....other than that we love WDW for what it is. :thumbsup:

KAT1811
02-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Oh no, a whole area of one land for princesses? So unfair! What is there for boys? Let's see... all these years we've had Frontierland (so girly), Tom Sawyer Island, Pirates, Buzz Lightyear, Indy Speedway, Peter Pan, and characters of all kinds in meets. There's a whole land for dinosaurs at the AK. But wow, a few princess-centric breakfasts and now an area that revolves around princesses alone, and boys are being discriminated against at WDW.

I get it. I do. I have a son. But boys seem to lose interest in the character breakfast earlier. Once they reach a certain age, the character breakfasts seem like they're for younger kids and boys want no part of them whether you have pirates or Pooh. But girls? Girls will hit teen years and still want princesses. I know grown women who want to see the princesses and those character breakfasts. So really, I understand why there are character breakfasts with the general favorites (Mickey and friends) and Pooh characters, and then a few revolving around princesses. And as for having one area of one park that focuses on princesses? I think it's only fair, and near the castle is where they belong.

:funny: That was funny! Our girls (3 of them) have never done Tom Sawyer Island, mostly becuase it isn't something that appeals to them so we skip it. But I am sure that we will certainly make it a stop on our tour when DS is old enough to enjoy it. I have to agree with the boys think thins are foolish way before girls do. My 13 year old still loves everything Disney and all the character meals and character pictures she can get. I am sure my nephews would find it foolish and would just make jokes and roll their eyes if they were forced to endure such a thing.

Well, I would just add 'villians' to the pirates and Toy Story character meals....other than that we love WDW for what it is. :thumbsup:

They used to have a "villians" character meal at 1900 Park Fare. It was the dinner meal that the villians were present at but it didn't do well and was always just about empty every thime we went hence the change. We loved it but by and large there are a great many children boys and girls alike that find villians scary. Disney is all about making money and these things just don't have a big draw.

They did just add the pirate studio thingy where boys can get a pirate makeover so at least they are trying to find something. But I can tell you when we walked my there it was dead but when we went by the BBB is was jammed!!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-11-2010, 09:56 AM

:exactly:

Also, DHS has Toy Story Pizza Planet so there is a dining experience geared towards Toy Story. I also have a son and he was no longer interested in character dining after the preschool years.

Ian
02-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Personally, I just feel like they should have added more around Cars by now. It's almost inexplicable to me why WDW is so far behind DL (again!) when it comes to capitalizing on what has, inarguably, been their hottest boy oriented property in decades.

Rhetoric2000
02-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Personally, I just feel like they should have added more around Cars by now. It's almost inexplicable to me why WDW is so far behind DL (again!) when it comes to capitalizing on what has, inarguably, been their hottest boy oriented property in decades.

I think Cars is the sort of thing I mean above - a huge amount of boys love cars, but a huge amount think they're actively boring.

Plus while you could set something in Radiator Springs, basing anything in the clearly-NASCAR setting of their competition (which would be far easier to do) would be very risky in terms of a non-US audience. The movie itself had a very inbalanced US-Worldwide box office take. So whilst the movie itself and especially merchandise surrounding it has been extremely profitable I understand why they wouldn't open it up at WDW.

I'd jut like to make it clear I myself like Cars (the movie that is, not the things themselves).

GloMonkey
02-11-2010, 11:34 AM
I agree that Disney has a problem with finding something that appeals to boys the way the Princesses do to girls.

Yes, there are Pirates and Cars - but they really appeal to young boys. It's 2010 now and most 10 -13 year old boys are too old for those type of attractions. They live for Video Games- which explains the popularity of Buzz and Toy Story Mania - essentially ride-through video games. Take a look sometime and notice how many pre-teen and early teen boys ride those two attractions alone with no parents in sight.

Disney needs to theme some more attractions that take into account what the boys of of this decade like - which means more Technology , Gaming and Thrill elements.

I'm sure many people will post about how their boys love the current attractions- and I agree that many do. My point is that I agree with the original post that there is still a void.

I think that's why they bought all those Marvel Comics. Look for more "adult kid" charactors running around. Maybe not at MK or DL but at DCA or Hollywood park or whatever you call it

PirateLover
02-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Walt Disney built his empire on Mickey Mouse and PRINCESSES. Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty... these were the original princesses. I was a young girl during the more recent golden age of Disney... Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid etc. I am now 24 and still excited by the new plans. I think that almost every girl in her heart of hearts has dreamed of being a princess. When my father would put me to bed he would say "goodnight, princess." Each year for Halloween I was usually a princess. This is nothing new. Also, why can't boys enjoy princesses, too? I enjoy dinosaurs, pirates, stunt shows, frontierland etc. I think that boys may not enjoy the princess experiences as MUCH as girls... but that doesn't mean that just because something is princess-oriented that boys are automatically excluded.

TheRustyScupper
02-11-2010, 12:35 PM
IAs a mom of 3 boys, the Princess thing is getting really old. I get that Disney is making mucho dinero, but enough already!

1) Unfortunately, there is a fact of life here.
2) Mothers will spend boodles and dolt on girls
. . . princess meals
. . . princess outfits
. . . princess makeup
. . . princess hairdo's
3) They don't spend that much on boys.
4) Pure economics.
5) And, Disney knows this.
6) I seriously doubt a predominately boys' meal or area.

Greenlawler
02-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Dad of three boys...I think DHS is very boy centered.....

1. Power Rangers
2. Toy Story
3. Star Wars
4. Indiana Jones

Let the girls have there princess area.

BTW my boys are 8,6, and 3 and love the characters. And I garuntee you I spend more money than 80% of the women on all the boy targeted stuff.

I do have a problem with how Disney buries Robin Hood. My boys love that movie. It used to be so prominant at the parks with the characters and all. I would love a dark ride but odds are Robin Hood will fade out of sight. It is a shame, as Robin Hood was a huge hit for them.

Ian
02-11-2010, 02:01 PM
I think Cars is the sort of thing I mean above - a huge amount of boys love cars, but a huge amount think they're actively boring.

Plus while you could set something in Radiator Springs, basing anything in the clearly-NASCAR setting of their competition (which would be far easier to do) would be very risky in terms of a non-US audience. The movie itself had a very inbalanced US-Worldwide box office take. So whilst the movie itself and especially merchandise surrounding it has been extremely profitable I understand why they wouldn't open it up at WDW.Mmmm ... you might be underestimating just how much Europeans love cars.

Racing is far more popular in Europe than it is in the U.S. And that includes Gran Prix, rally cars, stock cars, modified ... they love it all.

Rekenna
02-11-2010, 03:56 PM
- Finally going back to the OP - Are we now suggesting that we never have new-theme attractions again? It seems everything is now being attached to a (usually newish) Disney property. It always makes me sad to think that Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion would simply not happen nowadays. Instead of Thunder we'd have something like "Woody's Wacky Frontier Debacle" and Mansion would become "Jack Sparrow's jumping-out-of-various-locations Mayhem".

Thanks guys, good discussion.

I liked this above comment. Maybe the real trick is to have more Disney rides, not Disney character rides/attractions. Our family favorites are HM, POC, CoP, etc. Not the Character based rides. Getting back to the real meat and potatoes! So forgetting about the boy/girl stuff and creating family rides again.

BTW-my boys don't hate princesses, actually DS4 thinks they are "Bootiful!"

Thanks again!:mickey:

BrerGnat
02-11-2010, 03:57 PM
I'm totally with Ian on the CARS thing. I mean, I have two boys too. They are 5 and 3. While the older one hasn't gotten into anything besides Thomas the Train, the younger one LIVES for Cars...from the Disney Pixar movie and toys to Hot Wheels, Monster Trucks, etc. He will absolutely FLIP OUT when we can finally visit DCA's Cars Land (by then, we'll have moved away from here, but we are planning a trip back JUST for that reason).

We have gone into DCA JUST so DS can visit with Lightning McQueen and Mater, and then we leave and go back to Disneyland. He is fascinated just seeing the cars and being able to touch them.

Just walk into any Toys R Us or Target toy aisle and look at the magnitude of toys manufactured for the CARS franchise.

I've said it once, and I know a lot of people agree that a re-theme of the Tomorrowland Speedway to CARS would be an amazing opportunity for Disney. By simply adding a gift shop at the end full of CARS merchandise, they would undoubtedly sell more of those toys than they currently do having them in random gift shops around WDW...

I am willing to bet we see more from both CARS and Toy Story in the near future. These franchises are not going away soon, and boys LOVE them! My son's second favorite Disney movie is Toy Story...

I think even if I had a girl, I'd be :ack: with princesses by now. I understand it from a marketing perspective, but I also sort of wish Disney would move away from the Pirate AND Princess obsession, and provide better role models for our boys and girls to aspire to.

At least there will be a Legoland near Disney soon. All the parents of boys will be going there, I would think. ;)

Rhetoric2000
02-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Mmmm ... you might be underestimating just how much Europeans love cars.

Racing is far more popular in Europe than it is in the U.S. And that includes Gran Prix, rally cars, stock cars, modified ... they love it all.

Ian I was referring to the specificity of the Cars setting within what was clearly a Nascar environment.

Nascar is not popular in Europe and elsewhere specifically because of the popularity of other types of racing.

r4kids
02-11-2010, 05:18 PM

I couldn't agree more! By age 8 my son was done with characters. Disney has tried to gear toward older boys by the places mentioned above. We have 3 girls (15,9,6) and one son (12). He prefers Universal at this point because of the rides. I am all for a single destination princess spot. I think the renovation are great!

MoreMickey
02-11-2010, 05:18 PM
My ds is now 7 but doesn't mind the princess meet and greets because he's a lady's man.

His favorite thing about Disney is going on Halloween. The villians are "cool". I wish he could experience that part of Disney more than once a year.

crltkcagle
02-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Hey now, I have three boys and spend a small fortune on them. LOL They go to the main street barber and get haircuts and pixie dust. They buy pirate costumes and we plan on doing the new pirate dress up experience. I guess because I never had a girl I have to spoil my boys! LOL We don't mind princesses either, I make my boys do the meet and greets with the princesses and they get so shy and flirty! Its cute! On our next trip I am going to make them meet the fairies too!

. . . princess meals
. . . princess outfits
. . . princess makeup
. . . princess hairdo's
4) Pure economics.

JabberJaws
02-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Well those areas aren't going to be entirely based around the princesses. They are based around the classic animated films. For example, the Beauty & Beast area will have a gaston themed tavern. The Llittle Mermaid attraction will undoubtedly have its share of light scares and thrills similar to the other dark rides. The fact of the matter is though is that in those classic animated movies, the central element of the story were the princesses. Add that to the fact that the princess thing is a HUGE money maker for Disney right now, and there you go.

Also, as many have said, young boys is an INCREDIBLY difficult market to corner. They are a lot more fickle when it comes to trends, toys, games, etc. that girls are, and trust me b/c I was a young boy once and was the same way haha.

That being said, did anyone else notice that Disney just purchased Marvel ;-). Though there were other factors involved, this ultimately boiled down to an attempt to corner the young boy market the same way they've cornered the young girl market. The pirates thing hasn't taken off like they'd hoped, but Marvel comics have been a young-boy staples for decades.

I think as the purchase points iron out and WDI decides what they are going to do w/ marvel as far as the theme parks go (there is some redtape there as a result of the Marvel Superhero Island in IOA), you will see them pop up in the likes of DHS for example in a similar way to the FL rehab.

coneygoil
02-13-2010, 10:23 AM
[QOUTE] I do have a problem with how Disney buries Robin Hood. My boys love that movie. It used to be so prominant at the parks with the characters and all. I would love a dark ride but odds are Robin Hood will fade out of sight. It is a shame, as Robin Hood was a huge hit for them.[/QUOTE]

Robin Hood is one of my most favorite Disney movies! I'm a 27 year old woman and I would jump for joy if Disney had something with a Robin Hood theme. I know so many girls who loved Robin Hood as kids, so it would be like for other boy and girl.

coneygoil
02-13-2010, 10:32 AM
I have mixed feelings about the princess thing. I like the princesses. Belle who is one of my favorite characters from back when the movie came out. But Disney is making them all girly and blah. Like the original princesses were all helpless and girly, but Ariel, Belle, Jasmine all have a fiesty spark to them but Disney doesn't show case that really. Anyroad, I'll probably like the new Fantasyland, but I'm still kind of iffy about the whole route Disney is going.

Ian
02-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Also, as many have said, young boys is an INCREDIBLY difficult market to corner. They are a lot more fickle when it comes to trends, toys, games, etc. that girls are, and trust me b/c I was a young boy once and was the same way haha.You know I've seen like three or four people say this and I just have to disagree.

Boys today play with essentially the same exact things they played with when I was boy ... cars, trains, guns, action figures, and "gross stuff."

Personally, I think the complete opposite is true. The window for girls with princesses is very, very small as girls move on to "grown up" things much faster than boys do.

BrerGnat
02-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Again, I'm agreeing with Ian.

I think girls are WAY more "fickle" when it comes to their interests. They are SO much more influenced by trends, what is "cool", etc.

I actually know many little girls between 3-6 who are NOT into the whole princess thing. Unless you specifically sit them down and show them Disney movies, read princess themed stories, and then expose them to it at Disney parks, many of them just aren't into it. They are much more into "typical" girl toys: stuff revolving around dolls, fashion, and music and role playing type toys. I suspect that MUCH of the "Princess obsession" at WDW is PARENT driven. Just my 2 cents.

But, sit down a bunch of boys with some toy cars and trucks, or a train, and it's pretty certain they will ALL be into it. And, that's the beauty of Disney's Cars franchise. You don't need to know ANYTHING about Nascar to enjoy it (I know nothing about it, as it's not a cultural thing here like it is in so many other parts of the country), and I liked the movie, and my kids like Cars stuff too...cars are cars.

It's no wonder Playhouse Disney has a new show about trains. Trying to get to those elusive boys. ;) I bet they'd LOVE to own the rights to Thomas and Friends...that's a cash cow, that one!

PirateLover
02-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Personally, I think the complete opposite is true. The window for girls with princesses is very, very small as girls move on to "grown up" things much faster than boys do.

Really, this is all relative and you can't make a blanket statement either way. If you are referring to the desire to play with princess toys or buy princess related items, then maybe... but I think that, as far as the Disney princesses go, most girls never completely grow out of it. My friends and I grew up with Disney movies. We loved princesses when we were little and still do to this day. When we rode the school bus in high school we would sing "Belle" "Part of your World" "Be our Guest" etc. I can remember being on a trip with my parents when I was 16 and making my mom wait with me for 45 minutes to meet Cinderella, and being absolutely giddy about it. Princess culture however did not exist to the extent it is at today. Never went to a princess party and wouldn't have been interested in the Bibbity Bobbity Boutique as a kid, (My mom didn't let makeup touch me until I was in high school) but at 24 I still love the princesses and the movies as much as I did when I was 16, 12, 6... etc. Just look at how well the Disney Princess Collection wedding line sells... Girls say "I want to look like Cinderella on my wedding day!" I've never heard someone say the same for Barbie or Susie Wets Herself or most other things we played with as a kid. :twocents:

g8rgirl29
02-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Where I have a girl and really love all the princess themed stuff I do think there is an injustice done to little boys here!! I never really noticed how much until we went with my friend and her 5yo son how limited your options are for a boy as far as a cool dining experience. And as I mentioned before in many posts I would pay 2 TS credits for a Haunted Mansion-esque Villians meal. I would love to see Wall-E, Jungle Book, Robin Hood, Pinnochio, The Incredibles, Jack Skellington and a few others I am sure that I am missing added in. I would love to see the Indy speedway updated to something with Cars. I would also love to see a Villians meet and Greet area or Dining option like they have for the Fairies and Princesses. The Pirates make-over was a nice addition. But some Interactive lunch with Peter Pan, Smee and Capt Hook could really draw in both boys and girls. I think they had some cruise you could go on with them but it was short lived if I recall correctly. Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

Goes4FastPass
02-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Disney fan mommies, unlike many/most non-Disney fan mommies seem to really encourage the whole wish upon a star for a prince to ride up on a white horse and give your life meaning thing.

And the whole vicarious second chance trip. Mommies who didn't get asked to the prom try to raise princesses while daddies who didn't make the high school team try to raise NFL stars.

The Walt Disney Company sells what there's a market for. Little girls like BBB and mommies and grannies LOVE BBB.

KAT1811
02-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Disney fan mommies, unlike many/most non-Disney fan mommies seem to really encourage the whole wish upon a star for a prince to ride up on a white horse and give your life meaning thing.

And the whole vicarious second chance trip. Mommies who didn't get asked to the prom try to raise princesses while daddies who didn't make the high school team try to raise NFL stars.

The Walt Disney Company sells what there's a market for. Little girls like BBB and mommies and grannies LOVE BBB.

Is that really nice?

CaptSmee
02-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Plus while you could set something in Radiator Springs, basing anything in the clearly-NASCAR setting of their competition (which would be far easier to do) would be very risky in terms of a non-US audience. The movie itself had a very inbalanced US-Worldwide box office take. So whilst the movie itself and especially merchandise surrounding it has been extremely profitable I understand why they wouldn't open it up at WDW.

Not sure where your basing this statement off of, but Cars was a hit internationally:
Domestic: $244,082,982 52.8%
+ Foreign: $217,900,167 47.2%
= Worldwide: $461,983,149

Compared to The Little Mermaid:
Domestic: $111,543,479 52.8%
+ Foreign: $99,800,000 47.2%
= Worldwide: $211,343,479

I think Cars would be a wise decision to incorporate into a major attraction at 1 of the Fla parks, but where would it fit in? Overlaying the speedway at MK possibly?

Cars is also #87 on the top 100 all time box office chart as well. I think the movie is fairly well known worldwide. Ka-Chow!

DisneyFr33k
02-14-2010, 07:00 AM
Isn't that why Disney bought out Marvel - to market more of the Universal "boy" rides/attractions?

Ian
02-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Really, this is all relative and you can't make a blanket statement either way. If you are referring to the desire to play with princess toys or buy princess related items, then maybe... but I think that, as far as the Disney princesses go, most girls never completely grow out of it.Right, but even if that's the case (which I'm not sure it is), you can't really market things like the BBB and princess dresses, wands, and crowns to 18 year olds.

My point was, and I say this as the father of a soon-to-be eight year old girl who was once princess obsessed, that today young girls are into princesses until around age 6. At that point, they become very "uncool" and they move on to Hannah Montana, the JoBros, etc.

This is pretty much the case for all of DD's circle of friends.

But, sit down a bunch of boys with some toy cars and trucks, or a train, and it's pretty certain they will ALL be into it. And, that's the beauty of Disney's Cars franchise. You don't need to know ANYTHING about Nascar to enjoy it (I know nothing about it, as it's not a cultural thing here like it is in so many other parts of the country), and I liked the movie, and my kids like Cars stuff too...cars are cars.That was my point ... 35 years ago when WDW opened, I think most people would have said it was way too boy oriented. There was Frontierland with cowboys and guns, and Tom Sawyer Island, and pirates and spacemen ... all boy stuff.

Rhetoric2000
02-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Not sure where your basing this statement off of, but Cars was a hit internationally:
Domestic: $244,082,982 52.8%
+ Foreign: $217,900,167 47.2%
= Worldwide: $461,983,149

Compared to The Little Mermaid:
Domestic: $111,543,479 52.8%
+ Foreign: $99,800,000 47.2%
= Worldwide: $211,343,479

Little Mermaid is an odd comparison. The movie atmosphere of 1989 is hardly comparable with that of 2006. If you look at the much fairer comparison of Pixar movies by progression.

Toy Story - 1995 - $162million non-US box office (41% of overall gross non-US)

Bug's Life - 1998 - $194million (54%)

Toy Story 2 - 1999 - $240million (49%)

Monsters Inc - 2001 - $272 million (52%)

Finding Nemo - 2003 - $340million (65%)

Incredibles - 2004 - $363million (58%)

Cars - 2006 - $217million (47%)

Ratatouillle - 2007 - $409million (67%)

Wall-E - 2008 - $318million (58%)

UP - 2009 $434million (60%)

Looking at that overall picture makes it fairly clear that Cars underperformed quite drastically for a Pixar movie in non-US markets.

Also to compare against the other major releases of that immediate time period:

Shrek 2 (2004): $400million non-US
Shrek 3 (2007): $470million non-US
Ice Age 2 (2006): $429million non-US

Hammers home that Cars, while an overall success, represented a large disappointment in international markets for Disney/Pixar.

And so while it would make sense that a Cars makeover could take place at the Speedway, I understand completely why Cars isn't at the top of the list of themeing choices within WDW.

Ian
02-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Yeah, it is pretty much accepted that Cars underperformed internationally at the box office.

Although "underperformed" in terms of a Pixar film is a fairly relative concept. It still had an international box that would have made some other filmmakers drool.

I will say, though, that I don't think the NASCAR element had anything to do with it. I think it had a lot more to do with the fact that the "death of the small town" theme of Cars just didn't play well in non-U.S. markets as it's a uniquely U.S. concept.

JabberJaws
02-15-2010, 09:58 AM
You know I've seen like three or four people say this and I just have to disagree.

Boys today play with essentially the same exact things they played with when I was boy ... cars, trains, guns, action figures, and "gross stuff."

While I think you may be right in concept, IMO (going back on my original statement a little bit) why Disney can't nail down this market is not necessarily that they don't have things that appeal to young boys (Pirates, Cars, etc.) is that they don't have anything with the staying power and global recognition as their princess line. Everyone knows the Disney princesses. The movies are iconic and known all around the world. The same can't be said for Cars (though it was a popular movie) or even Pirates (though the POTC franchise was a huge global hit.) I think the POTC stuff has more of a global appeal than the Pixar Cars brand, it still doesn't match that of the princesses.

That being said, back to my original post, this is believed to be why Disney bought Marvel. They wanted something that would appeal to boys have have the staying power, brand recognition, etc. that the princesses have. Hence Marvel. Spiderman, X-Men, Hulk, Iron Man, etc. etc. These symbols, from a brand perspective, have history, global recognition, a "timeless" factor to them, etc. All the things that the princesses have, but for boys.

I think once the kinks get worked out, you will see more and more Disney/Marvel branding.

Ian
02-15-2010, 03:52 PM
While I think you may be right in concept, IMO (going back on my original statement a little bit) why Disney can't nail down this market is not necessarily that they don't have things that appeal to young boys (Pirates, Cars, etc.) is that they don't have anything with the staying power and global recognition as their princess line. Everyone knows the Disney princesses. The movies are iconic and known all around the world. The same can't be said for Cars (though it was a popular movie) or even Pirates (though the POTC franchise was a huge global hit.) I think the POTC stuff has more of a global appeal than the Pixar Cars brand, it still doesn't match that of the princesses.Ahh but see ... this is something that the recent Disney leadership teams have dropped the ball on, if you ask me.

The notion that every ride and attraction these days has to have some kind of branded Disney characters in it irks me to no end. Who cares if Disney doesn't have specific pirate or Cars characters with staying power? Some of the greatest Disney attractions of all time have no Disney character tie-in at all.

Think about it ... Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Jungle River Cruise, Space Mountain, WedWay Peoplemover, If You Had Wings, the (original) Tiki Room ...

These were all amazing, classic, enduring rides that people love just as much today as they did 40 or 50 years ago when they were created and not a one of them has a recognizable Disney character in it.

But what they do have in common is a set of timeless elements that keep bringing people back to them. When I was little, no one bought "Jack Sparrow" hats they bought pirate hats and pirate swords and pirate guns.

I think Disney has lost sight of that aspect of their history and it's one of the reasons I feel like they're losing that boy market.

SBETigg
02-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Soarin' and Expedition: Everest-- two more recent attractions with no character/movie ties. I don't think they've lost sight of their history, and I don't think they've lost the boy market. They've simply increased on some of the girl market.

And it's still not a heck of a lot in comparison. There's the Buzz ride, Toy Story Mania. Frontierland. I could go on. (yes, girls like these things, too-- so why bother with something more exclusive to their interests?). There's going to be (there isn't even one yet) a spot for Princesses and there are some character breakfasts. They're not exactly ignoring the boy market (which actually dominates the parks as is and has for years) in favor of girl stuff.

Bottom line: There is some new stuff for the types of girls who like princesses. It's not shutting out the boys by any means. Disney has been catering to the imaginations of both boys and girls in parks and in merchandising for years, and I'm sure they will continue to do so.

JabberJaws
02-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Yeah I don't think the "branding" is limited to the theme parks. Certainly attractions are the parks can be successful without the themeing and branding. However, where Disney has lost a grip on the young boy market would be more in merchandise, and I think the marvel deal is more centered around that. Not sure how viable any marvel-based theme park attractions are right now anyways with various legal issues to work out with IOA and their licensing deal with Marvel.

That being said, I think the purchase of marvel is more of a company wide attempt to grab the young boy share. The princesses are limited to the parks either, with that being a company-wide brand ranging from merchandise, parks, movies, etc.

I think that is what disney is lacking as far as young boys go, a franchise with staying power, global recognition, etc. that can be used as a company-wide "brand" for young boys, in all markets and areas of the Disney company.

Back to the original topic of the thread though, is that the princesses are appearing in FL in such a large way because of their success as a brand across the entire Disney Company, in addition to their natural nostalgic tie-in to "classic Disney." I think it is a perfect fit. I mean so long as FL wasn't going to become a larger Bibidy Bobidy Boutique or something, which it isn't. It loosk to me to be a beautifully themed land paying tribute to Disney classics, with some princess tie-ins. But you can't avoid the tie-ins as they were/are a HUGE part of the Disney animated classics and as such should be a focus of the FL redo (aside from their current marketability as a franchise and brand.)

As I mentioned in my original post though they aren't ignoring the boys in the FL redo, as they will have a gaston tavern, action oriented effects in the new LM ride, etc. I think in the end the land will strike a beautiful balance, appealing to all ages and genders, such as Disney has done for decades!

BigBaloo
02-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Mission Space is another recent non-themed ride.

I look at the new princess land as it's an area that we don't really spend much time in now & as a father of 3 boys probably won't spend much time at when it's opened. Just as a father of 3 daughters probably doesn't spend much time at Tom Sawyer Island (I have to DRAG my sons away from the guns in the fort!) I guarantee that my sons aren't going to look at the new land & say "How come they didn't open something for boys?" They will want to check it out because it's new & then move onto the rides & attractions that they want to go on.

I just hope that someday they finally make an attraction for The Jungle Book! :thumbsup:

KAT1811
02-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Just as a father of 3 daughters probably doesn't spend much time at Tom Sawyer Island (I have to DRAG my sons away from the guns in the fort!)

That would be my husband! We have three girls (and now a little man too!) We have yet to go to Tom Sawyer Island in the 15+ times we've been since DD#1 (13) was born! Now when our little guy gets a bit bigger we'll take a trip over to TSI!

TikiLounger
02-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Well, my son is 20 and he's been to the Disney parks a lot over the last 14yrs. He's never been without something to be interested in. When he was young, he loved Frontierland (especially the shooting arcade and Tom Sawyer's Island) and Tomorrowland...Pirates, too. He was obsessed with Animal Kingdom for a few years after that (REALLY wanted to be a driver for the Killimanjaro Safari). In his teen and late teen years, he loved Hollywood Studios...Star Tours, Indiana Jones, Tower of Terror, Rockin Rollercoaster, the stunt car show. Now that he's and adult, he really appreciates Epcot. My daughter is 2 years younger and although she was never really a "princess" kind of girl (she tends to like the pirate and rock and roll things), we didn't really have a hard time entertaining both of them in Disney. They loved being there and still do. Actually, I think my son still clings to his dream of working there someday...

TinkerbelleRoo
02-16-2010, 06:33 PM
As much as I love WDW, I'm happy I grew up at a time when there wasn't much princess saturation. The movies occassionally were rereleased in theaters and the only time you could see Disney characters or buy DIsney merchandise was mainly at the parks and resorts.

My parents took us on everything without it being 'geared' towards boys or girls.

That being said, my feelings were that WDW always needed more Alice stuff. In DL she at least gets a ride besides the Tea Cups.

I'm not a princess fan, never was even when I was growing up. Alice was a favorite of mine and still is. Personally I'd rather promote using your imagination then the princess deal.

I'm also with the posters who wanted more Disney quality rides and less Disney merchandising character rides. Or if they feel like making it all about Merchandising, do something park unique like Figment.

MickeyChick
06-23-2010, 09:25 AM
I miss Figment and the old JITI so much.

I have two sons and the last time we were in the park I was annoyed that there was the Bibbidi Bobbedy Boutique for girls but no boy equivalent and they fixed that.

I think that merchandising every ride and attraction and linking it to a character and/or movie is one of the things that makes Disney Disney. You can go on rides in a million different places but it's the Disney touch-- excellence, imagination and characters-- that make WDW worth returning to over and over.

Just my $.02.

Tigerinvestigator
06-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Everytime I take my family to WDW it adds Four Princesses to the parks!!!:thumbsup:

BrerGnat
06-23-2010, 02:28 PM
There was an article in Parents magazine this month about the detrimental effects of the entire "Princess" craze. It was very interesting reading. I am SO thankful to only have boys now... ;)

Fastpasssteve
06-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Tom Sawyer had Becky Thatcherand Peter Pan has Tinker Bell and Wendy. And when did dinosaurs become the sole interest of boys? A previous poster had listed these at 'boy' activities. This seems to be a very narrow view.

Some more boy things would be nice, but I admire Disney for not giving in to more violent attractions simply to pander to little boys who like shoot 'em up video games.

dixielandings
06-23-2010, 06:29 PM
I have an 8-month-old daughter and the longer I can keep her AWAY from the princess stuff, the better. I mean, I love every one of those movies but it feels like overkill to me. I'm starting to feel like if I never see a Disney princess again, it'll be okay with me. And I hate that b/c the stories are so wonderful! I want to keep enjoying them!

Imagineers (or more accurately, Marketing Dept) - please don't send us over the edge with this stuff!

Rekenna
06-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Wow guys, I have to say as the OP, I am mildly surprised this thread is still going-which is great-it's supposed to generate conversation.

Talking about positive role models for young ladies-not that princesses cannot be-what about Jesse? We just saw Toy Story 3 last night-it was excellent! I love Jesse-she's fun, smart, friendly, tough and loving. All great qualities whether in a girl or boy.

Have a great day!:mickey:

agravette
06-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Even though the character meals appeal more to my husband, myself, and our 9 year old daughter, my 14 year old son sure doesn't mind having his picture taken with the gorgeous princesses! :cloud9:

BellesRose
06-24-2010, 12:54 PM
. . . princess meals
. . . princess outfits
. . . princess makeup
. . . princess hairdo's
4) Pure economics.
It's not that mothers won't spend money on boys...the boys just don't care. My mom is always trying to buy "stuff" for my brother but boys just aren't as material. They like what they like, they don't what they don't.

Also, I've always considered Tomorrowland to be sort of like a "boys only" thing :secret:

BellesRose
06-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Is that really nice?
Nice or not, it's untrue.

Gator
06-24-2010, 01:16 PM
I never mind seeing more princesses ;)

Mickey'sGirl
06-24-2010, 01:57 PM
My son likes seeing Jasmine in particular... ;)

Aurora's Mom
06-24-2010, 02:41 PM
WOW:

I really think it's ridiculous when people get offended by discussions on the boards, but I'm sorry--you got me here.

Most "Disney Fan Mommies" really just want their kids to be happy, have a good time, work hard and grow up to be normal, healthy, well-rounded, productive adults. Lots of girls like girly stuff--that's just the way it is. Lots of little boys like balls (football, baseball, basketball, etc)--that's just the way it is.

To generalize and say they really encourage the whole wish upon a star for a prince to ride up on a white horse and give your life meaning thing is really just rude and unfair. Same thing with the Dads and the football remark.

I do agree that they sell what there is a market for and I can tell you what really sells is seeing your child excited to see their storybook (or movie) characters come to life--whether it's a princess, a race car, a fairy or a boy who flies, fights pirates and never grows up.

I thought this was a forum to discuss a place that we all really enjoy for one reason or another--not a place to judge what you think you may have figured out about another person’s intentions.

minnie-mouse
06-24-2010, 02:55 PM
I have 2 little girls and have to say, I agree there is a tad bit of "princess overload" at MK, but what do you expect? The whole park is centered around Cinderella's Castle? I do think there is a lot more for boys at Disney Studios. I agree, more character theming at MK for boys would be nice. Like, why don't they update the Indy speedway and make it a "Cars" theme. Tell me little boys wouldn't love to pretend to drive McQueen or Mater, etc.? Hopefully, Disney will rethink some of the older attractions and update them to draw in more participants, boys and girls alike.

Goes4FastPass
06-24-2010, 05:34 PM
[QUOTE=TheRustyScupper;2015214]1)
...QUOTE]
This is just not true. Parents and grandparents of boys have itching credit cards ready to buy for their boys too.

I'd just like to see WDW make their themed attractions as 'other gender friendly' as possible. That way a Cars themed Radiator Springs attraction could be one girl's favorite while the Beast's Chateau could be something that her brother thinks is very cool.

BrerGnat
06-24-2010, 06:11 PM
There are 40,000 items of Disney Princess merchandise. Think about that for a minute.

magicalmom
06-27-2010, 08:14 PM
A couple of thoughts -

Perhaps they should bring back the canoes, very active!

Tron wasn't the best movie, and it's very dated now, but the concept would lend itself to a rider-directed attraction.

Emperor's New Groove is a very "guy" film, and the movie itself is practically a theme park attraction. Plenty of material there.

If it needs to be a movie tie-in, the National Treasure films ought to appeal to guys.

chaodj9
06-27-2010, 09:03 PM
I AGREE 1 HUNDRED PERCENT. I entered this thread expecting pointless complaining about disney but i understand. They got rid of one of my Favorite sections in the whole disney park empire. to put yet MORE PRINCESSES. they have to know when to stop... for once

chaodj9
06-27-2010, 09:05 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EXPLAINING EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TRYING TO EXPLAIN!

You made my life 10000000000000000000000X easier... :D

caryrae
06-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Tron wasn't the best movie, and it's very dated now, but the concept would lend itself to a rider-directed attraction.

Tron would be a great addition I think especially since they are doing a Tron remake. Could be a real cool attraction.

pixiesmimi
06-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Along this line, is there going to be another Princess added? They showed a trailer in Toy Story 3 of the Repunzel movie. Is she going to be the next Princess?

I'm sad to hear that they are taking the Power Rangers out. My DGSs are very disappointed in this. But both of them like the Princesses, too. They won't mind a "land" with Princesses. My two older DGSs have been going since they were about 3 (they are 18 and 14) and they have never complained that there is too much "girly" stuff. They enjoy it all, although they would rather just go ride the thrill rides. But they don't complain when we go to character meals or get their pictures made with characters.

Also, what about Mickey. Isn't Disney predominately about Mickey? That is the only thing that bothers me about closing down Toon Town.

BrerGnat
06-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Along this line, is there going to be another Princess added? They showed a trailer in Toy Story 3 of the Repunzel movie. Is she going to be the next Princess?

I wouldn't doubt it for a second. Ugh. Here comes another meet and greet...

darthmacho
06-30-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm a 39yo male, and I have to admit...I can't get enough Disney Princesses. Bring them on!

LVT
07-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Meet and greets get people out of ride lines. I am in favor of that.

TheRustyScupper
07-05-2010, 04:52 PM
I was reading here on Intercot about the anticipated changes/updates to Fantasyland. Each Princess is getting her own section!:ack: Give me a break!

1) If it isn't clear, yet, folks spend BIG for girls.
2) They spend little for boys.
3) A fact that Disney has not overlooked.

Jordan0301
07-05-2010, 05:04 PM
You can make a boy happy by buying him a gun from pirates, or a sword.

A lot of girls won't be happy until they have the shoes, the dress, the tiara, the hair, the doll, the wand, the book, and the autograph.

Girls = Money

I agree that it is too centered for girls, but I can't deny the money making appeal.

BrownEyedGrrl
07-05-2010, 07:30 PM
:exactly:
I also have a son and he was no longer interested in character dining after the preschool years.

Seriously? My boys are six and seven, and thankfully still love the characters and character meals! They realize that they aren't "real", but they still have fun with it, and get excited about it.

As for the OP, I have to respectfully disagree. As a mom of only sons, I'm not bothered by the changes in Fantasyland. My boys are only six and seven, so things might change as they get older, but if there is an unfair amount of girly things in WDW, they don't seem to notice. In fact, they like meeting and getting their picture taken with the princesses. Meeting Jack Sparrow or Buzz trumps Aurora, lol, but they still like seeing them all. They LOVED Tom Sawyer Island, and Indiana Jones, and the Narnia set when it was there. But, they've never complained about "having" to do anything at WDW, they're just happy to be there! :)

Goes4FastPass
07-06-2010, 03:04 PM
1) If it isn't clear, yet, folks spend BIG for girls.
2) They spend little for boys.
3) A fact that Disney has not overlooked.
A Fact???
Does ANYONE on this board (ANYONE) think that a parent or a grandparent looks at thier two (grand)children and thinks, "I have $100 to spend so that's $10 for Jack and $90 for Jill"?

RedHead
07-06-2010, 08:28 PM

Plus while you could set something in Radiator Springs, basing anything in the clearly-NASCAR setting of their competition (which would be far easier to do) would be very risky in terms of a non-US audience.

The other challenge there is that the REAL racecar home is a little over an hour away - Daytona International Speedway, including Daytona USA. So if there real interest is in racing, it's just a drive up I-4 to the most famous stock car racetrack.... :cool:

magicalmom
07-07-2010, 08:43 AM
I wonder if we're over-thinking the princess thing?

As a child, I thought Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn were great fun - why wouldn't boys find the butt-kicking princesses (Mulan, Meg, Tiana, Belle, Jasmine, Ariel, at least **) equally appealing?

Part of the merchandising imbalance may be that girls like to create and control their imaginary worlds, so all the little details are important, whereas boys largely want to jump right in and inhabit their imaginary worlds. A couple of light sabers or a pirate flag and they're out the door!

So I'm hypothesizing that there's not as much demand for all the little accessories among the boys, that they're far more interested in the basics so they can get to the playtime more quickly.

[** I know Mulan and Meg aren't technically princesses, but Jasmine told us once at lunch in Norway that Meg and Mulan are ALWAYS invited to princess slumber parties because they're the most fun.]

PopPhan
07-07-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm a 39yo male, and I have to admit...I can't get enough Disney Princesses. Bring them on!

How about some of the Marvel heroines in their skin tight (what I call 'painted on') outfits? That would definitely get the 10+ boys interest!! :D

tiggerbuddy
10-09-2010, 07:18 PM
one word : Ick !!:ack:

garymacd
10-10-2010, 02:33 PM
I vote for as many princesses as they can put in there! That means more beautiful women I get to have my picture taken with!!! LOL!!!!:mickey:

Absolutely! I just have trouble finding Pocahontas.

dixielandings
10-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Um...did I miss something? Is Toon Town closing permanently for this Princess deal?

rubato
10-11-2010, 10:10 AM
My 11 year old son loves WDW and finds tons of things that are special to him. He has to eat at CP every time we go. He loves Spaceship Earth and Mission Space. He really enjoys the silly little kid things like the Pooh ride. He is a total video game playing fool, but that's not why he goes to WDW. It's for the special magic. Of course, there's always Sum of all Thrills for those boys. And, like others have said, the boys have Pirates and Toy Story and dinosaurs and bugs and all those wonderful boy things all over all 4 parks.

Ian
10-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Um...did I miss something? Is Toon Town closing permanently for this Princess deal?No one really knows. The content in this thread is actually somewhat out-of-date since Disney has recently announced that they're re-evaluating the plans for the Fantasyland expansion.

Current rumors (rumors only) sort of indicate that they're going to move away from having so many Princess oriented shows and attractions and try to balance it out a bit more.

Nothing at all is firm at this point, though, and the fate of Toontown is still very much up in the air. What is known is that it's changing, but to what degree ... :confused:

Mitzie
10-11-2010, 03:21 PM
I have a set of twins, age 10, one boy , one girl. Overall they meet with what most are saying. She still loves the characters and princess stuff. He not so much on the characters. His favorite park is HS, loves Star Wars and Indiana Jones, the stunt show... Her favorite park is MK...We feel that Disney offers stuff for everyone...Mom's favorite park is Epcot and they all boo hoo that one:pout:

dixielandings
10-11-2010, 06:41 PM
No one really knows. The content in this thread is actually somewhat out-of-date since Disney has recently announced that they're re-evaluating the plans for the Fantasyland expansion.

Current rumors (rumors only) sort of indicate that they're going to move away from having so many Princess oriented shows and attractions and try to balance it out a bit more.

Nothing at all is firm at this point, though, and the fate of Toontown is still very much up in the air. What is known is that it's changing, but to what degree ... :confused:

Wow. It seems to me that removing Mickey Mouse from MK in such a gross way would be like inviting us to storm the Castle with torches and pitchforks. Crazy...

Ian
10-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Wow. It seems to me that removing Mickey Mouse from MK in such a gross way would be like inviting us to storm the Castle with torches and pitchforks. Crazy...Yeah well even that part is sort of up in the air and unclear.

Supposedly they're moving Mickey and Minnie to some new space where Expo Hall is now, but honestly it all seems pretty vague and ambiguous to me.

Quite frankly, the fact that this refurb doesn't include some version of the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is a bit mystifying to me ....

brivers222
10-18-2010, 06:16 PM
This pleases me! I loved meeting all the princesses... and it was a blast talking with them because not to many guys actually wanna meet them! Even have to say I enjoyed the hugs they gave me :)

mommy2maddi
07-02-2012, 05:59 PM
I think that an "area" devoted to princesses in MK near the castle is more than appropriate. WDW has plenty of other attractions that are not geared to girls. Dinosaurs, Toy Story, Pirates rides, I could go on and on. The princess aspect-having a castle devoted to a few of them-doesn't take away from the boyish aspects of WDW at all. In fact, if I really tally it up, there are far more "boy based" rides than "girl based" ones. The girls get more chances to meet princesses and dine with them. Where's the harm in that?

ChipNDale79
07-03-2012, 08:17 AM
I think that an "area" devoted to princesses in MK near the castle is more than appropriate. WDW has plenty of other attractions that are not geared to girls. Dinosaurs, Toy Story, Pirates rides, I could go on and on. The princess aspect-having a castle devoted to a few of them-doesn't take away from the boyish aspects of WDW at all. In fact, if I really tally it up, there are far more "boy based" rides than "girl based" ones. The girls get more chances to meet princesses and dine with them. Where's the harm in that?

Being a father to one boy and another one very soon, I wouldn't mind seeing a Star Wars or Toy Story character dinner, I think that would be cool.

disneynarula
07-03-2012, 08:31 AM
I agree that it would be nice for a more gender friendly character dinner for older kids. A pirate dinner might be fun instead of another princess dinner.

ChipNDale79
07-03-2012, 09:17 AM
I agree that it would be nice for a more gender friendly character dinner for older kids. A pirate dinner might be fun instead of another princess dinner.

This would be awesome.....

MissMaryPoppins
07-03-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm tired of the princess thing too. When I was little I was not interested in the princesses one bit. I was crazy about Mary Poppins and Pollyanna and I couldn't understand why there wasn't any trace of them in the park. I'm sure I was a rarity then and little girls like me now are even rarer but think it would be nice if Disney had something geared toward little girls that wasn't princess related. Not every little girl wants to be "rescued" by a prince.

ImagiAsh
07-04-2012, 07:43 AM
I have to laugh at the suggestions made for more movie-related dining experiences, park areas, and meet-n-greets because we usually have a number of posts complaining about the lack of originality brought to the parks these days (ie: everything is based on a movie). Regardless, I have traveled to Disney many times, with varying groups of people, and I have never felt or heard someone else suggest that there was not enough for a boy to enjoy.

Now, I'm a female, so maybe my opinion is moot. However, as a female with a tomboy edge, the whole princess experience never excited me. It also did not deter me. While I didn't go around wearing a princess costume or begging my mom to meet Ariel, I still enjoyed seeing them and loving them from the movies I grew up on. I also never felt excluded on rides such as Pirates, Buzz Lightyear, etc. In fact, I never really viewed those as predominately male.

Terra
07-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Meh, I have 2 sons, no girls and they love the princesses. My youngest especially loves Ariel and is obsessed with mermaids. My thought is that thankfully the Orlando area has lots to choose from so if what is offered at Disney isn't up to par for someone personally then at least they have options to shop around :)

I do agree, I so want Cars Land here at WDW!!!!

Ischyros
07-05-2012, 11:59 AM
As a thirtysomething guy, I personally have no problem meeting more Disney princesses. ;)

brivers222
07-06-2012, 10:47 AM
also as a mid-thirtys guy....they could open a whole park for Snow White and I would be there......everyday :) :number1:

I thought the "other" theme park was for adventurous boys

PirateLover
07-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Just had to point out that this thread is 2 years old... but I had fun reading through some of the old comments. My own opinion has not changed, and since the original posting plans for Fantasyland have changed. (IE the themeing of the 7 Dwarves mine coaster gives it mass appeal as opposed to say, Princess twirl-o-rama or something).

mgmnut
07-09-2012, 10:33 AM

I would like to see something like a Pirate Themed Audience Participation show, something along the lines of Hoop De Doo Revue.

Arielfan98
07-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Hmmm I agree that it's ridiculous that each princess must have her own section and I believe that's why they're tearing down the Snow White Adventures ride. I mean why couldn't they turn The Wonders of Life Pavilion into a Princess Meet N' Greet area??? Now it's a waste of space with that HGTV nonsense. The only princess that hasn't gotten a break, however, is Ariel really, which is why I'm glad they're building new Ariel attractions in MK. I also agree that they should open up some sort of Cars Land for the boys, because pirates aren't enough.

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Da Disney
08-19-2012, 05:44 PM
I personally like Disney Princesses and Im a teenage guy. Im up for Princess stuff at WDW because it Walt Disneys legacy(plus mickey mouse,donald,goofy) and without them there really wouldnt be as much magic. I still go to get their autographs and character meals.

LVT
08-20-2012, 07:25 AM
I have 2 boys and I do not think they care about meeting the characters in the movies or games. The social "meet a person" angle seems stronger in girls. My boys wanted to do or see action, not say "Hi".