PDA

View Full Version : Universe of Energy

Superzeus84
02-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Dear god, Can I please have that 47 minutes of my life back? In my opinion this is the single worst ride in all of the disney parks. There is so much more they could do with that building then that ride. I rode this for the first time on Monday night, the movie was boring, Dinosaur part was awful, and to top it all of i was getting motion sickness due to the size of the screen and sudden movements. Awful, just awful.

faline
02-10-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm guessing you don't like this ride?! To be honest, I enjoyed the original version of this more than the current one. Still, I ride this on most every trip and do enjoy it. Guess we're all different and this won't be on your must-do list for future trips!

KAT1811
02-10-2010, 07:54 PM
I ride this on most every trip and do enjoy it.

I too like the ride. We do it every trip. The kids like it too. It's nice to be able to take a long break to enjoy an attraction. We have three DDs and a DS (11 months) I can't wait to see his reaction to the dinosaurs when he is old enough to understand it all and be "in to" dinosaurs. We've been all frills and bows this is unchartered territory for us!!!

Sorry you didn't like the attraction. :mickey:

Superzeus84
02-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Well what can I say, Im glad some people like it. I just know its not for me.

nqi2
02-10-2010, 08:06 PM
This may not be an awesome thrill ride. However it's cool (especially when you go in June), take some time to rest and get off your feet. And smaller children take great naps on this ride. I for one love it for all of those reasons stated. And will be riding it again this trip which is in June.

Rekenna
02-10-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm sorry you didn't like it. I personally really like it, I like Ellen too and think she's pretty funny. DH is right there with you, he does not care for this ride. But, he also does not in any way shape or form appreciate CoP-so his opinion doesn't count!:)

On the bright side, now you know and you can devote this time to your other favorite rides on your next trip!

MaxPower
02-10-2010, 11:14 PM
In the summer, if you need a place to sit down and cool off in air-conditioning, this is the best option in Epcot.

Zone Stop
02-11-2010, 12:16 AM
In the summer, if you need a place to sit down and cool off in air-conditioning, this is the best option in Epcot.

I tell people that when they come and see us at 10 in the morning... "Hey, go and get on the rides that'll have a line. And when you're hot and tired in the middle of the afternoon, grab a screw-top drink and come see us."

Mitzie
02-11-2010, 09:17 AM
When DH and I went on it this past Oct. we really liked it. Call me koukie, but I found it so fascinating how the audiance, seats and all moved. As a teacher I have seen alot of Bill Nye, but it is fun for adults and kids alike.

crltkcagle
02-11-2010, 09:30 AM
:rotfl: :funny:

I couldn't agree more! I hate that ride too! I feel like the kids are punishing me everytime they make me ride it!

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Its definitely not on par with Soarin, but I still enjoyed this ride. My only complaint, a 45 minute ride is a bit long when you have limited time. I think they could cut the time in half and have a better ride.

Stu29573
02-11-2010, 09:50 AM
I really like it! And, having been on both versions, I like the Ellen version better than the original.

Unfortunately, when we were there in June it broke down while we were waiting! We saw the intro movie, stood to go in the big theater and...nothing. The doors refused to open. We were told to come back later, but we never had the chance.:(

Of course, this is just one more reason to go back in November...:thumbsup:

BigThunderFan
02-11-2010, 09:55 AM
I agree it may be a bit long, but in the summer I think it is too short!

This ride has always been one of my favorites. Mostly because I was really into dinosaurs as a young kid, and now because DS is too. But this ride always stands out in my mind when thinking back to my first visits to Epcot. Of course back then there was no Soarin or Test Track, or even Mission:Space. So this seemed to be about all there was for me besides Spaceship Earth. (Remember that the Living Seas was not there at first)

Goofster
02-11-2010, 11:39 AM
I haven't ridden this since probably 2000. The air conditioning is nice and I enjoyed the movie in the beginning with Jamie Lee Curtis and Ellen, but the overall ride is fairly boring at 47 minutes. Plus (and I'm not trying to start a debate on this issue), I thought the movie was a little to pro-evolution at the end, which really turned me off.

Other than that, I'd ride it again if we ever went there in the summer again (not likely since its too hot) and had nothing else to do for 45 minutes. :D

Belster
02-11-2010, 03:14 PM
My family and I enjoy this ride very much. I guess I am not of the norm????

Scar
02-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Although I don't hate it, I only ride it if I'm with someone who wants to or has never seen it (rare.) But I wanted to address this part of your post...
There is so much more they could do with that building then that ride. Please don't suggest this. I'm trying off the top of my head to think of one instance where a ride was gutted or demo'ed and the repalcement was better. Can't think of any.

ChipNDale79
02-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Although I don't hate it, I only ride it if I'm with someone who wants to or has never seen it (rare.) But I wanted to address this part of your post... Please don't suggest this. I'm trying off the top of my head to think of one instance where a ride was gutted or demo'ed and the repalcement was better. Can't think of any.

Test Track.

Scar
02-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Test Track.Not in my opinion. And many others I would suspect. :cool:

ChipNDale79
02-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Id agree with you that a lot of things that have been gutted, the new rides arent as good.

But IMO this just isnt the case.

MoreMickey
02-11-2010, 05:28 PM
we usually run to this ride when we start feeling rain drops. It's not my favorite but my kids seem to enjoy the dinosaurs and it gives some time to be out of the rain. It's not a ride I would spend time on if it was just my husband and myself.

PETE FROM NYC
02-11-2010, 06:01 PM
I always like the ride. although I think the original version was better by far. The newer version is more of a joke.IMHO.
On our last trip, this past September we could not ride it because the powers that be no longer allow ECVs.

Scar
02-11-2010, 06:19 PM
On our last trip, this past September we could not ride it because the powers that be no longer allow ECVs.Really? That's odd. Do they allow them through the Jeopardy part and then transfer into the vehicles, or not in the building alltogether?

Stu29573
02-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Test Track.

Nope.

ILoveLegos
02-11-2010, 06:40 PM
I flat out - really like the attraction, but then again I'm partial to the "Tiger in my Tank" - it has been my bread & butter for a large chunk of my life and the attraction totally reminds me of the "evolution" of my professional career: From A little spark of fire to some serious brain power. He-he-heh! [I'm in energy - LOL!] is exciting to me, but it often bores others to tears at dinner parties - :( sniff :blush: (chuckle) - LOL! - Oh well!

I like a few of the "Disney historic" details like: some of those dinosaurs are "Walt's Dinosaurs" - Disney buffs might recognize them from some old Walt stock footage from the Wonderful World of Color & the "60's World's Fair in NYC" (No, I wasn't born then I just have some video of Walt talking about Dinosaurs that were posed just like a few in this attraction & my parents went to the World's Fair before I was born - through their stories and descriptions - (I've been there though - if you know what I mean)) - :thumbsup:

Although I didn't grow up with Bill Nye - he's as easy to watch as the one I did grow up with - (Don Herbert) Mr. Wizzard! Watching that show in the 80's got me well grounded in my future in science & engineering, eventually I earned my place among them. It's my hope (and probably the hope of a few Imagineers) that a many future engineers might start their journey into the field of science & engineering right there among the guests watching Bill, Ellen, Einsten & a really loud dinosaur or two (or was that a tiger in the tank). :D

P.S. The solar panels, ride guide wire (similar to ToT's) and security motion detection system (except when some tries to exit the ride too soon - ugh) are a few of the "little extras" in place that make the "little engineer" in me very happy! :)

So once again, that's why I like Disney so much - there's something there for everyone! I hope that Disney continues to be a place where learning is fun and entertaining for all! :number1:

-A Physics & Industrial Engineering Geek :thumbsup:

PETE FROM NYC
02-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Really? That's odd. Do they allow them through the Jeopardy part and then transfer into the vehicles, or not in the building alltogether?

Several years back, we did go through the whole attraction in our ECVs. This appears to be a new ruling, and as far as we are concerned, it <stinks>.

Ian
02-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Huh. I like Universe of Energy. It's a great place to rest your feet and cool off when it's hot and I think the show is really cute and entertaining. A bit corny maybe, but not to the point of being unable to enjoy it.

mel
02-11-2010, 07:45 PM
so what can I say? On a hot summer's day this ride is a blessing. Its cool,dark and I can take my shoes for a while. (noone notices ). The ride is not the best ride at disneyworld but I couldnt do without it!
'

Superzeus84
02-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Although I don't hate it, I only ride it if I'm with someone who wants to or has never seen it (rare.) But I wanted to address this part of your post... Please don't suggest this. I'm trying off the top of my head to think of one instance where a ride was gutted or demo'ed and the repalcement was better. Can't think of any.

Correct me if I am wrong, But didnt Toy Story Mania replace the who wants to be a millionare Game show at Hollywood Studios?

Tink#64
02-12-2010, 12:08 AM
We like it, but in the afternoon, when all the other lines are long & we enjoy the rest and the A/C. But we find it funny! "The Ting Tang?" :D

TheVBs
02-12-2010, 08:23 AM
It's definitely not on our list of favorites, but I agree with others here, it's a great way to take a break in the a/c and the kids enjoy it. :mickey:

Scar
02-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, But didnt Toy Story Mania replace the who wants to be a millionare Game show at Hollywood Studios?Millionare wasn't a ride. ;)

Imagineer1981
02-12-2010, 11:30 AM
I actually like the ride, but I do think they could totally update the attraction to be something new and exciting. Its a large building and I am sure there is a new way to address the idea of energy

And Test Track is way better than World of Motion

Goofy Texan
02-12-2010, 12:39 PM
If you've never been on this ride, here is a list of those who might enjoy it:

You like watching Discovery Channel documentaries
You like dinosaurs and the chance to see life-like ones in a realistic environment
Your a fan of Ellen Degeneris
Your a fan of Bill Nye
You need an extended break and want to do more than people watch
You want to see a ride system that is one of the most unique in Disney World

I like this ride, but once a trip is enough. I go infrequently so I don't remember most of the details.

PirateLover
02-12-2010, 02:36 PM
I have to be in the mood for this one. Some days, I'm really into it, others, I'm falling asleep 25 mins in and praying for the end. Haven't ridden on the past 2 trips, and probably won't go on this trip either since we'll only have 4 days in the parks and not much time to spare.

MegaDisney
02-12-2010, 02:40 PM
You want to see a ride system that is one of the most unique in Disney World

I enjoyed this attraction very much, and the ride system is totally cool!

bruin1344
02-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Dear god, Can I please have that 47 minutes of my life back? In my opinion this is the single worst ride in all of the disney parks. There is so much more they could do with that building then that ride. I rode this for the first time on Monday night, the movie was boring, Dinosaur part was awful, and to top it all of i was getting motion sickness due to the size of the screen and sudden movements. Awful, just awful.

amen to that, worst ride in WDW, if you need to relax and cool down, go onto spaceship earth or journey into your imagination

Superzeus84
02-12-2010, 11:18 PM
amen to that, worst ride in WDW, if you need to relax and cool down, go onto spaceship earth or journey into your imagination

Agreed.

Superzeus84
02-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Millionare wasn't a ride. ;)

Thank you for bringing this to my attention that this wasnt a "ride" for some reason i remember corkscrews and movements of weightlessness throughout the "ride", thanks again:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

DakotaDisney
02-13-2010, 12:29 AM
I like the ride/show, but it's not one of my favorites.

I can't remember if I rode the ride back in 1990 or not. If it was there in the '90s who was in the video before Ellen? Or has it always been Ellen? What else has changed throughout the years or not changed with this ride/show?

Stu29573
02-13-2010, 09:00 AM
I like the ride/show, but it's not one of my favorites.

I can't remember if I rode the ride back in 1990 or not. If it was there in the '90s who was in the video before Ellen? Or has it always been Ellen? What else has changed throughout the years or not changed with this ride/show?

Yep, before Ellen it was a much more straightforward science exhibit. A lot of people said it was boring, so they spiced it up with humor. Most people liked the change, but some hated it (pretty much like when they change anything). I saw both and like the Ellen version better. :mickey:

okw2006
02-13-2010, 09:28 AM
We ride it every trip. Of course, we are old and easily amused.

Meteora
02-14-2010, 11:37 AM
I like the Universe of Energy. Granted, I love both Ellen and Bill Nye. But I think it's overall a cute show/ride, and I think that, especially now, the concept of energy and how we get it is VERY important to understand, even for children.

However, at this point the ride is pretty old. Some of the information is outdated. And any show is going to get repetitive after a decade of seeing it. I think this ride could use an update--but at the same time, I'm afraid of the "Imagination" treatment--I don't want the imagineers to take the charm and humor that currently exists in this ride out in an update. With my luck, it would turn into "Stitch's Universe of Energy," or something horrific like that.

mdhiggin
02-14-2010, 01:08 PM
We like it, it's very relaxing. The only thing I hate is when they tell you if you can't commit to the whole ride, you need to leave, because there will be no exiting. It makes me nervous, and I have to check my bladder and all systems before commiting. :blush:

tiggerbuddy
02-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Too long .....5 mins of Dinos and the rest is nappy time :>)

Speedy1998
02-22-2010, 08:46 PM

Going old school here but:

"Buzz light Years ranger Spin" is much better than "If you had wings"

"Stiches great escape", while not as good as "Extraterrorestrial encounter" is far better than "Mission to Mars", which was better than "Mission to the Moon."

And to be honest I don't even remember what "Mickey's Philharmagic" replaced, because I only went in it one time.

Unfortunately the imagineers are only people, they can not get it right all the time. If they were to replace "Ellen's Energy adventure" with something that was a flop, it will be replaced again within a few years. And just for the record "Test Track" is far more popular than "World of Motion" was especially near the end of the "World of Motions" life.

ThanxForNoticin
02-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Personally, I still like UOE. Saying that, I agree with those of you hoping they are at least looking into the idea of updating it again. Whenever I think of EPCOT, I think of the future and cutting edge technology and information. With as hot a topic as energy is in our lives these days, UOE seems to be in need of an update - not a complete overhaul like Horizons or Motion, but an update.

PeterPan
02-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Forgive me for not reading all the posts, but...
"Ellen's Energy Adventure" is a HUGE HUGE update to the original "Universe of Energy" Which was MUCH slower and MUCH more ponderous - very, very heavy on the "Educational" aspects that EPCOT promoted when it first opened in 1982.

I have always loved this attraction in all of it's incarnations. I am in total awe of what the Imagineers did this this building, the concept of "Riding on Sunshine" (that's the way they promoted it in 1982). Those huge "cars" are being guided with a wire no wider than the lead in a pencil. Also, for their time, these dinosaurs were by FAR the most ambitious audio-animatronics of their time.

Do you realize the PLANTS you are looking at were recreated from FOSSILS??? Leave it to Disney to have a hundred details that no one ever notices.

Some of my enjoyment of a ride or attraction has nothing to do with how fast or slow it goes. For me, it's all about the artistry and the work of hundreds upon hundreds of incredible artists, engineers, designers and fabricators who pour their life-blood into "entertaining" us.

ThanxForNoticin
02-23-2010, 06:18 PM
Forgive me for not reading all the posts, but...
"Ellen's Energy Adventure" is a HUGE HUGE update to the original "Universe of Energy" Which was MUCH slower and MUCH more ponderous - very, very heavy on the "Educational" aspects that EPCOT promoted when it first opened in 1982.

I agree with you and know what you're saying. But if you think about it, the original version of the show was there from 1982 until 1996. They updated the show to change it a bit and to update the science in the show. The Ellen version of the show has been there as long as the original was. I'm just thinking there are more modern updates that could be included, which is what EPCOT is supposed to represent. It doesn't sound like something that's imminent, however. So in the meantime, I'll stop by to see Ellen from time to time!

ParkMan
02-23-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm also in the camp of UoE fans - especially the original version. The new version is just too "jokey" for me (and yes, I do watch discovery channel documentaries).

I think it's one of those times where you have to leave the thrill rider in you at the door and enjoy the ride for what it is. Sure, the science is dated and the technology is getting long in the tooth, but it's a great ride.

Since they already marred it with the Ellen treatment, I say give it another (hopefully minor) refresh. But make it a refresh, not a redo.

QTPie68
02-24-2010, 01:16 AM
"

"Stiches great escape", while not as good as "Extraterrorestrial encounter" is far better than "Mission to Mars", which was better than "Mission to the Moon."

Mission to the Moon was so corny.....did they even collect a ticked for that ride?

AE was much different.......

As for Energy Adventure this is DH's fav ride in Epcot, so we have to go on it once. And usully when we are hot and tired and need a decent little resting with your eye open

Tekneek
08-14-2010, 05:18 PM
I preferred the original, but this is one revision that is still pretty close to what Epcot's purpose was (once you get beyond the throwing in of celebrities).

Mickey91
08-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Test Track.
NO WAY! Not everyone likes or can ride such a fast paced, jerky ride. World of Motion was for everyone and very interesting. Disney could always add a thrill ride somewhere. But they didn't have to take out World of Motion or Horizons for that matter. I agree with Scar. I can't think of one thing they have refurbed or recreated that is better than the original in any park especially the horrid mutation of most of Future World.

MickeysEars
08-14-2010, 11:54 PM
I have to say there not really an attrraction that I really dislike that much at DL or WDW. I have to say that what they did to The Tiki room at WDW is a shame, but all in all it is ok. I like UoE, it is ralaxing and the kids learn something...=)

kemps@wdw
08-15-2010, 09:22 PM
WDW is nothing, if not a place of trial and error. What's good for some is bad for others. I personally thought UE was ok. Is it a must-do for us each time...no. At one time, when our DD was younger, it was a great place to rest and relax in a dark cool attraction (sometimes even a power nap for her). I've never been on it that it wasn't capacity, so there must be a draw for alot of people. If we're walking by w/extra time on our hands, we'll duck in if the wait's not too long. I do like Ellen, Jamie Leigh, and the science guy.

PharmD
08-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Personally I love this ride. Don't know what it is but it's one of my favorites. My wife usually uses the ride as a napping place, but oh well. Definitely a great place to get out of the heat for a while.

SandmanGStefani24
08-15-2010, 10:00 PM
i cant believe such a negative post made it here to intercot!

Even though there are a few rides I dispise at WDW I would never completely bash one here. Everyone has their likes and dislikes so far be it from me to tell them what they like is no good.

UOE is a great ride for young and old, and God forbid you LEARN something!! So some of the jokes are corny and Ellen borders on annoying at times it is still a good experience. You get to go off to another time and place on this ride, and the fact that the theatre breaks up into moving cars is also cool. I ride it everytime I go, and will continue to do so.

There's enough negative in the world, so let's not focus on that here at Intercot. :beer:

Dewdrop034
08-16-2010, 12:25 AM
It was hot in May when we went on it and we really appreciated the A.C. My 16 year old son told us "You just don't get to see Bill Nye the science guy everyday, now do you?" He was very amused by the whole experience. Personally, I wouldn't do it again unless we were really tired or really hot.

AllDisney
08-18-2010, 05:25 PM
It's one of our favorites. We go on it every time we go & are looking forward to riding it on our upcoming trip in December 2010.

I am glad not everyone DOES like the ride. I'd hate to see the lines if every one did :mickey:

marlyn
08-18-2010, 05:56 PM
We ride it every trip. Of course, we are old and easily amused.

:thumbsup:

skibunny75
08-20-2010, 01:44 PM
My son (4 1/2 now) asks to ride every time we go. He loves the Dinosaurs! I like the 47 minutes of Air conditioned down time. I enjoy the ride, but usually use it to take a quick nap in the afternoon. ;)

BIGDOG
08-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Could you imagine having to work at this ride for 8 hours a day? The cast members always look so depressed...I will say the booth just before this ride has the best ice coffee in the epcot park.

Bass T-bone
08-23-2010, 08:58 AM
I preferred the original version of the ride.

SandmanGStefani24
10-10-2010, 01:17 PM
I preferred the original version of the ride.

I liked that one too, but thats because I'm very sciencey and love facts and info. As a kid I would have been in hog heaven! Unfortunately I am sure a ride like this would never make it in today's Epcot. Too many people would be ready to drop the B-bomb. (lol, meaning boring.)

dixielandings
10-10-2010, 01:24 PM
(tee hee) Your post made me chuckle.

I do like this "experience" (it's barely a "ride"). But I think nostalgia helps a little. I remember the first time I saw UoE in 1989 - I was totally surprised by the moving theatre and loved everything about Epcot in general! I also liked the original version better but I do like this one for lots of the same reasons that have already been mentioned.

Thank goodness WDW is so vast - if you don't like the thing you just got off of, try the next thing - you're bound to like it!

Renfairwedding
10-10-2010, 02:36 PM
On our last trip, this past September we could not ride it because the powers that be no longer allow ECVs.

I like the ride but my DW loves it for the nap time.

also....
We were there in April and no problem getting on with my eletric wheel chair.

rubato
10-10-2010, 05:07 PM
I love this ride and go everytime. My son, who will be 11 on our next trip, is still afraid of it, which I find amusing. My husband sleeps, but loves it for that. We just sit far away from him because he's a snorer! :blush:

Gator
10-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Gotta agree. I despise this ride. Of my five trips and 11 days spent at Epcot, I've been on UoE once. That's all it took. Terribly boring...I'd rather be watching the Norway, France, and Canada movies back-to-back. I think it has to do with Ellen. As I remember the ride, I kept hoping that one of the dinos would eat her.

PinKy
10-11-2010, 03:53 AM
Every ride is not for every person. This one is however one of our family's favorites and we make sure to ride it every trip! We love Ellen, Bill Nye and the dinosaurs... our boys are fascinated with the dinos and dh and I love the historical/science-y aspect of it. I suppose its just what you're into.... we spend a lot of time going to museums for fun in our hometown - so science/historical-type rides?? yes please! If its not your cup of tea though - just leave it out of your itinerary next time and try to find something more your speed. Have you tried Mission Space? That one is super fun as well and is more of the "excitement" type of ride. :-)

angua85
10-11-2010, 06:30 AM
This is one of my favorites. I loved the old version and the new version.

gollybass
10-11-2010, 01:52 PM
I really love this ride too

disneymom2000
10-12-2010, 10:05 PM
I like Ellen too and think she's pretty funny.

I didn't think I would like it so I skipped it the first trip I took after it opened but decided to try it after that. I really liked it and have done it three times now.

JerseyDad
10-12-2010, 10:24 PM
.....anlthough some of the ride / attraction may be a bit dated regarding advances in science...you HAVE to love this ride for the nostalgia that it stirs up:

The "old" set of Jeopardy

Promising new energy sources

....and Jamie Leigh Curtis...before she needed special yougurt to keep her "regular"
:):):)

Ian
10-13-2010, 08:29 AM
she needed special yougurt to keep her "regular"
:):):):rotfl: