PDA

View Full Version : Do you plan on using your tax refund to help pay for a Disney trip?

forever a child
02-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Just curious how many people plan on using some or all of their tax refund to take a trip to Disney?

I am and cant wait!!!!:mickey:

tink'72
02-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Yes!!!!

Gregandmel
02-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Yes - we are using "part" of it to help fund our trip. We usually get back some $$ so figured we would be safe to factor this in. It helps a LOT!

joonyer
02-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Well, If I get a refund I probably will. We're going on a Disney cruise nest week and it sure would come in handy paying the bill. But I haven't prepared my return yet and usually I have to send the IRS some more $$, because I refuse to let them have my money interest free all year. I don't understand how people who are entitled to big refunds fail to realize they could have had that money all along by not having it deducted from their pay.

elmjimmlm
02-08-2010, 02:27 PM
We will if we don't have to pay...You never know what to expect with self employment...I hope we get something...:fingers:

Goofy4TheWorld
02-08-2010, 02:29 PM
I plan on e-filing sometime this week, and as soon as Uncle Sam drops it into my account, I will pay down most of my room-only reservation using my Disney Visa. That way, I will be able to use the Reward Points earned from charging most of the room now to pay the remaining balance at check-in.

All of this is an elaborate plan to trick myself into believing that the trip was practically free! It's like I am getting my own little peiece of the TARP bailout money :D

MMFreak
02-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Well, If I get a refund I probably will. We're going on a Disney cruise nest week and it sure would come in handy paying the bill. But I haven't prepared my return yet and usually I have to send the IRS some more $$, because I refuse to let them have my money interest free all year. I don't understand how people who are entitled to big refunds fail to realize they could have had that money all along by not having it deducted from their pay.

I do not think that any of us fail to realize it. I look at as a savings account that is impossible to get into until the end of the year. Interest or not it is nice to have a lump sum of $ at the beginning of the year that we can use towards a big purchase. I know in my case as much as we try to save each year we have to dip into our savings every now and again for things that come up throughout the year that we have no control over (hot water heater, furnace, car repair, etc.)

SBETigg
02-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Tax refund? I haven't had a refund in years. We always end up paying more. Maybe I need a better accountant. :) (yes, joking, we're better off as is, but it's no fun at tax time).

vicster
02-08-2010, 03:43 PM
But I haven't prepared my return yet and usually I have to send the IRS some more $$, because I refuse to let them have my money interest free all year. I don't understand how people who are entitled to big refunds fail to realize they could have had that money all along by not having it deducted from their pay.

Ditto here. We'll have to pay more also. Why give the government an interest-free loan? The IRS doesn't want to give refunds which is why they encourage people to have the correct amount taken out of their paychecks. That's the same reason we don't have an escrow account for our property taxes. The banks lend your money out and you get nothing. Better in my account until I have to pay.

forever a child
02-08-2010, 04:10 PM
We will if we don't have to pay...You never know what to expect with self employment...I hope we get something...:fingers:

I am there with you. I have had a "surprise" year or two. No fun!:(

BigRedDad
02-08-2010, 07:14 PM
We'll use about 10% of it to pay for meals and souvenirs.

Genie1953
02-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Yep we will be using ours to pay for our trip...at least part of the trip anyway.

Bubbie Girl
02-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Yep, I am sure we will use a little bit of it for the trip this summer.:)
Better to pay for it than charge it if we have it to spend!:thumbsup:

Tink#64
02-09-2010, 12:37 AM
I definitely use taxes as a "savings account"! Which I know some people vehemently disagree with, but you know the saying the more you make the more you spend! Well if we've got it, we seem to need to spend it somehwhere! So our tax refund has always been our vacation money! DH & I have more held out so that we will get the larger return, that way we can't spend it throughout the year! Our family vacation is very important to us, I think we need that time together away from the day to day stress to recharge and enjoy being together. So that makes it ok for us to have Uncle Sam hold our money for us! :thumbsup:

Joannelet
02-09-2010, 07:41 AM
We usually do! Unfortunately not this year :(

Gregandmel
02-09-2010, 08:16 AM
I definitely use taxes as a "savings account"! Which I know some people vehemently disagree with, but you know the saying the more you make the more you spend! Well if we've got it, we seem to need to spend it somehwhere! So our tax refund has always been our vacation money! DH & I have more held out so that we will get the larger return, that way we can't spend it throughout the year! Our family vacation is very important to us, I think we need that time together away from the day to day stress to recharge and enjoy being together. So that makes it ok for us to have Uncle Sam hold our money for us! :thumbsup:

We are the same way. As you stated, many people firmly disagree with this theory, but like you....we would spend it if we had it. It's a "forced savings" account for us and although we never get HUGE amounts back (we are talking $1500 - $1800) - it still feels like a windfall when we receive it. We wouldn't be able to save that money throughout the year because it always gets spent. I have to have "family vacation" plans too and this helps us tremendously. We are using about $1500 of our refund to help our Disney trip in April!

BigRedDad
02-09-2010, 08:31 AM
We, too, are like Gregandmel and Tink#64. It is our annual get Savings back to sustainable level. This is my thought porcess:

Tax Return: $6000
5% interest: $300 (this assumes we have 100% on day 1 of the year)
Taxes on interest income: 18% * $300 = $54

It is not worth $20 extra interest per month to have the money available to spend on something that comes up. I would rather not have the money and find a way to save for it. Otherwise, I would never have saved anything. Something always goes wrong: sick dog, medical bills, appliance failure, unexpected trip.

pandkx3
02-09-2010, 08:49 AM
We usually use our refund for our Disney trips...it's nice to have a chunk of cash to put down on your trip...

#1donaldfan
02-09-2010, 09:04 AM
.....we look at it as not a tax return but a
Disney return !!:mickey:

TheRustyScupper
02-09-2010, 11:05 AM
1) No.
2) Even if we wanted to, we only mailed in the return last week.
3) So, we won't get money for 6-8 weeks.

Tick-Tock
02-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Tax Return: $6000
5% interest: $300 (this assumes we have 100% on day 1 of the year)
Taxes on interest income: 18% * $300 = $54

5% interest?!? Where are you banking? I haven't seen those rates even on multi-year CDs! Try 1% or less and your reasoning makes even more sense.

Ms. Mode
02-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Nope...that little bit of money goes to Marshall University :mickey:

forever a child
02-09-2010, 04:59 PM
5% interest?!? Where are you banking? I haven't seen those rates even on multi-year CDs! Try 1% or less and your reasoning makes even more sense.

He was being kind! ;)

Disneymom4ever
02-09-2010, 05:43 PM
We do use our tax money for our Disney trip. Otherwise I know we wouldn't be going. Something always comes up throughout the year, so saving for my family is next to impossible. Heck, we have a "Disney World jar" on our counter for change, and you should see it. The kids and DH keep taking the change for anything and everything! I'm lucky if I have $5 in there now. Drives me nuts!

bkfree
02-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Yes, we will be using our tax refund to pay for our entire trip to Disney in Sept. It will be about 50% of our total refund. I also look at it as a savings account.
We use half to pump up the savings account and a few other needs.
The other half pays for a trip to Disney. I would rather have memories than things.
We do this every other year.
It is so nice to just book and pay in full.

TheVBs
02-10-2010, 04:29 PM
No definite plans to go to WDW, or anywhere, this year, so I answered no. But, we're definitely with the "savings account" people. I'm happy to loan that money to the government for the rest of the year, because we would not save it ourselves. And, I loathe the idea of having to pay. ;) Been there, done that, not doing it again. We have an incredible CPA who gets an amazing refund every year too. :thumbsup:

bxrluv
02-10-2010, 11:02 PM
:thumbsup:E-file=balance of vacation paid off within 10 days after filing!

KylesMom
02-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Two words . . .

You Betcha!

bkfree
02-11-2010, 06:40 PM
:thumbsup:E-file=balance of vacation paid off within 10 days after filing!

Us too, E File is the way to go!:thumbsup:

amorillo
02-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Unfortunately a 2010 trip is not in our future... but I do plan on using a portion of this years refund to go towards next years trip! :thumbsup:

If it only didn't seem soooooooooo far away... our last trip was feb. 2008... which seems like a lifetime ago! :crying:

LVT
02-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Another Uncle Sams savings account here. The interest at the bank is <1% .

forever a child
02-13-2010, 11:43 AM
It seems to me (like so many have posted) that with savings account returns being next to nothing these days that using the tax return as a "forced" savings account doesnt sound like such a bad idea for those of us who are on a budget. Like others have stated...there always seems to be something coming up that requires dipping into the Disney fund. Have a great trips everyone! :mickey:

AdventurerKim
02-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Tax refunds every year go toward travel which always includes WDW.