PDA

View Full Version : Counter Service Meals

jloyd
02-08-2010, 11:37 AM
We will be taking our first BIG disney trip in March, it will be myself, DH, DS10 and DS7. We decided to do the dining plan this go around and see how it works for us. My boys love to eat! We have our ADR reservations made already, thanks to the advice found on this website. My question is concerning the table-service meals - could you all suggest some table service restaurants in each park that have more than just nuggets, burgers, grilled cheese, etc for the kids menu? I want DS7 to have healthier and more interesting options.

Thanks for your help!

elmjimmlm
02-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Sunshine Seasons in Epcot has a variety for kids...Pizzafari In AK has a few things that kids would like...The food courts at many of the resorts have a lot to choose from for kids...:mickey:

forever a child
02-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Been doing that research myself.
Here is the list I have come up with..

MK
Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe
Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station

Epcot
Sunshine Seasons
Tangierine Cafe

DHS
? other than Toy Story Pizza Planet

AK
Flaming Tree BBQ
Yak & Yeti Local Food Cafes

DTD
Wolfgang Puck Express

I have only ever eaten at Flaming Tree BBQ...so I hope to see what others post for you!:thumbsup:

#1donaldfan
02-08-2010, 12:35 PM
MK = Columbia Harbor House / Cosmic Rays
AK = Pizzafari / Yak n Yeti
HS = ABC Commissary / Starring Rolls
EC = Sunshine Seasons / Yorkshire Fish Shoppe :thumbsup:

Ian
02-08-2010, 01:19 PM
MK
Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle StationI wouldn't bank on this being open. It seems to be closed 99% of the time.

We like the CS in World Showcase. Try Lotus Blossom Cafe in China or Yakitori House in Japan.

SillySymphony
02-08-2010, 09:51 PM
I agree with many PP... I also like Earl of Sandwich in DTD and, not that I'd make a special trip, but... all three food courts at the All-Stars offer some fine and fresh meals including carved meats, great hand-tossed salads and delish artisan sandwiches.... I'm checking into Pop Century for the first time next Wednesday and I'm looking forward to checking out their FC.

Rhetoric2000
02-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Yes there are plenty of options - indeed there is really only one CS in each park that is a straight burger/fries/fried stuff place.

Here are my picks:

MK: Cosmic Rays has a variety of stations, and you can get a decent roast chicken and mash, or a sandwich (or a burger).
Columbia Harbor House does fish and chips, chowder, and sadwiches.

Epcot: The Electric Umberella and the Liberty Inn are standard fried fare - literally everywhere else isn't. There are all the national options around world showcase, plus the sunshine seasons food court at The Land.

AK: Yak and Yeti, Pizzafari and Flame Tree all offer excellent food. You can't go wrong with these.

DHS: This is your only problem park. The closest would be ABC Comissary but the food, whilst varied, is average at best. I'd actually recommend the burgerish option of the backlot express here.

DTD: Lots of options. Earl of Sandwich is my pick but there's also the Wolfgang Puck Express, Cooke's of Dublin and others.

jloyd
02-09-2010, 10:49 AM
WOW! Thanks for the quick replies. Maybe we aren't the only people who plan our vacations around food:D:laughing::laughing:

Mickey'sGirl
02-09-2010, 11:10 AM
In addition to the Tangierine Cafe (our favourite CS location on property) and Sunshine Seasons (which can be crazy crowded and noisy), you can also get sandwiches and the like at the Patisserie in France. Fabulous Epcot options! :thumbsup:

renecat
02-09-2010, 11:54 AM
One of the best counter services is earl of sandwich in DTD. We always make a point in eating here . Also flametree BBQ at AK. You can do a counter service in England at Epcot.

Kim Possible
02-09-2010, 01:48 PM
MK - Cosmic Rays
HS - I know there are some places across the BATB show
AK - not sure since i don't go there alot
EPCOT - again, i'm not so sure of either

forever a child
02-09-2010, 08:04 PM
WOW! Thanks for the quick replies. Maybe we aren't the only people who plan our vacations around food:D:laughing::laughing:

Nope, we have been planing around food too. Decided I dont want to be a slave to ADR's!:thumbsup:

ElenitaB
02-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Places with interesting (i.e., non burger/chic nugget) options for kids:

MK
El Pirata y el Perico (if you can find it open): quesadillas
Pecos Bills, Cosmic Ray's, Columbia Harbor House - chicken salad or salad with chicken
Pinocchio's - pizza (I won't cast judgement on whether it's good or not)

Epcot
Electric Umbrella and Liberty Inn - Chicken wrap
Sunshine Seasons - Sweet and sour chicken, mini sub sandwich, chicken drumstick with mashed potatoes
Lotus Blossom - Sweet and sour chicken with rice
Sommerfest - I don't recall them having a kids' meal per se, and they have frankfurters and bratwursts (not to mention the strudel)
Yakitori House - Teriyaki chicken
Boulangerie Patisserie - Ham and cheese croissant sandwich or quiche, turkey sandwich
Tangierine Cafe - has great food and the portions may be enough for the kids to share. Their kids' menu, however, has the normal burgers/chicken nuggets
Yorkshire Fish Shop - Fish & chips (it's where my DS asks to eat 9 times out of 10)

Studios
Backlot Express - "meaty macaroni" (this is probably our favorite CS in DHS)
Pizza Planet and Catalina Eddie's - cheese pizza

Animal Kingdom
Yak & Yeti - I had their pork egg roll kid's meal our last trip. Not bad, but won't be enough for your 10 yr old
Flame Tree BBQ - Drumstick, hot dog
Pizzafari - cheese pizza

DTD
Wolfgang Puck Express - probably the best CS on property. The kids' menu includes linguini, cheese or pepperoni pizza (very good), quesadilla. What's also nice is that you won't be juggling a tray of food. You place your order, are given a number and the food is brought to your table.
Goofy's Candy Company - not a CS, but someplace the kids might really enjoy. They have "design your own" treats, like chocolate covered rice crispy treats, apples and pretzels. They also have a periodic table of elements on one of the counter walls that shouldn't be missed!

Enjoy your trip!

mickeys_princess_mom
02-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Wolfgang Puck Express [/B]- probably the best CS on property. The kids' menu includes linguini, cheese or pepperoni pizza (very good), quesadilla. What's also nice is that you won't be juggling a tray of food. You place your order, are given a number and the food is brought to your table.

I agree! It's almost like getting a Table Service, and the food was great!

bruin1344
02-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Here some good places that have diverse menus rather than traditional burgers and chicken fingers:

MK - Cosmic Rays, Columbia Harbour House, and honorable mention of Pecos Bill even though its mainly burgers

Epcot - Sunshine Seasons, Electric Umbrella, and most of the World Showcase countries

AK - Flame Tree BBQ

DTD - Earl of Sandwich, Wolfgang Puck Express

javamama
02-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Yak &Yeti was amazing in AK last year, how we've missed this the past few year I have no idea. Fried rice, egg rolls for kids hit the spot for my 6 year old last year, plus I think the dessert was frozen lemonade---a big change from the usual chocolate cake, or jello. The adult meals were great too I cannot wait to head back!
Epcot the world showcase has tons to offer, again we like Asian flair so we'd head to China/Japan, but we did head to Mexico the year before last I think(dh and ds did)and again my ds was 4/5 at the time and loves tacos so that was a change from the usual nuggets, fries, mac n cheese.
MK-we spend lots of time there since our kids are small right now and it's our fav so we tried Pinnochio's, I love the salads, as did my dh and parents. I think my ds had pizza and he doesn't eat cheese on it so he eats crust and sauce---so it was fine for him. Otherwise we always do the Harbor House, and the kids eat the fish/chicken meals it's greasey but a tradition for us.
HS-doesn't have the best places to eat at, I try not to eat there since we've yet to find a good QS meal, TS we've had a few good ones. Sorry on that one.
Capt Cooks at the Poly is great though, we've been staying there, and it's quick ride from the MK, you can eat by pool. Sandwiches are great, flatbreads, and dolewhips, plus burgers! that's an option if your board w/the MK food options, try a resort if you don't like what's at a park!

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-10-2010, 10:26 AM
For something other than burgers/pizza try:

MK:
Cosmic Ray's

Animal Kingdom-
Flame Tree BBQ

HS:
Starring Rolls

Epcot:
Any World showcase CS-we like UK for fish n chips, France for sandwiches and pastries

Downtown:
Wolfgang Puck Express

Ms. Mode
02-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Our favorites are Flame Tree BBQ and Starring Rolls :thumbsup: