PDA

View Full Version : Off property dining in O-town?

andreallybadeggs
02-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Any recommendations for non-Disney dining? Looking for a place to take a couple of UCF kids for dinner and pleasant conversation one night and all I know in Orlando is WDW establishments. Thought since we'll have a car we might consider some options in another part of town. Would ask the kids but they are students so they know fast food and Ramen noodles.
Would prefer moderate pricing (that wide range between Arby's and V & A) since we're splurging on a few other things for them and any menu that doesn't include the phrase "value meal" will be a step up.
The rest of us would prefer non-chains . We have Olive Garden and Outback back home.
Thanks!

dnickels
02-06-2010, 09:15 PM
There are a few places up in the old part of Winter Garden that are non-chain. I haven't been back since October, but at the time there was a Thai place and a few bar/grille types. They also have a poor man's (but still very good) V&A type restaurant called the Chef's Table. Winter Garden Pizza is also there. It's a neat area, a shorter drive than to downtown Orlando and no chains in sight.

andreallybadeggs
02-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks so much! Sounds like an area worth checking out.

bamarn0919
02-16-2010, 06:13 PM
I love the Ale House! It is a local chain of restaurants, and if you have college age kids, they will probably love it. There is one at Lake Buena Vista, close to DTD. The chain is very popular, so anyone local can direct you to the nearest one. I live in Hunter's Creek, very close to Disney, and we have the Kahuna Cafe here that is really good (on Tuesdays it's buy one get one free entree!). If you can, go to the Dr. Phillips area. It's about 10 minutes in your car from DTD, and there are a lot of food options, including the most awesome Indian restaurant, Memories of India. It doesn't look like much, but the food is great. If you want lunch, TooJay's is also in Dr. Phillips and they have great food.

MaxPower
02-17-2010, 12:11 PM
I agree- Check out The Ale House.

andreallybadeggs
02-17-2010, 06:58 PM
And, again, thanks for these suggestions. I'll make a list of them and give the students their choice. If we don't make it to the Indian restaurant this time will definitely consider that one for a future trip with sons and d's-i-l all of whom love Indian food.

RBrooksC
03-04-2010, 09:01 AM
I cannot recommend Giordanos Pizza any higher. Some of the BEST stuffed pizza you will have. It is located right outside the Disney property at LAKE BUENA VISTA, 12151 S. APOPKA VINELAND RD.
Sorry for the caps, I got the address from their website.

We went there the last time we were in Disney and there was no wait and plenty of food at a reasonable price.

Also, it is close to Disney.

And what kid does not like a good pizza?

Jennifer_and_Chris
03-04-2010, 09:55 AM
I love Cafe Tutu Tango. I have not been to the one in the Orlando area (just can't seem to pry ourselves away from WDW property). When I travelled to Miami about once a month for work (lucky me before kids!) we were regulars at Cafe Tutu Tango. It is a Tapas style bar. We would order 5-6 things and share it. Great artichoke dip, flatbread pizzas, alligator bites, etc. I've only ever seen this restaruant in Orlando and Miami.

Kenny1113
03-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Another option is Texas de brazil. Not real cheap, but it is all you can eat meat. I think it is near one of the malls.

I am not sure if the tu tu tango in Orlando closed. The one here did. I loved the tapas as well. :)

apequet
03-05-2010, 07:22 AM
what about Nascar Cafe @ Universal Studio's version of DTD? I know it's a chain, but there's not that many of them out there. Then after dinner you can shop!

Jennifer_and_Chris
03-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Another option is Texas de brazil. Not real cheap, but it is all you can eat meat. I think it is near one of the malls.

I am not sure if the tu tu tango in Orlando closed. The one here did. I loved the tapas as well. :)

OH NO!!! I can't believe it... we loved it! We ate almost 2-3 times a week at the Coconut Grove location. Same table out on the deck overlooking traffic/ Coco Walk. I'm so sad!

I went online and seems that the only one that is open is the Orlando location.