PDA

View Full Version : WDWorld Traveler Review - Spaceship Earth

Red Randal
02-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Spaceship Earth

Intro: Disney fans hate change. Alright, it’s probably not fair to limit that to only “Disney” fans. Fans of any medium, generally, are petrified of change. Even the mere rumor of a change to a beloved Disney attraction often results in paranoia and borderline hysteria from both its most ardent fans and those for whom the attraction represents a hallmark moment in their childhood. Often both at the same time.

So it should come as no surprise that when Disney announced a massive rehab for Epcot’s flagship attraction in 2007, people went absolutely berserk. It was only a few years earlier that an e-ticket attraction called “Time Racers” – a roller coaster – was rumored to be going inside the geodesic dome. People were freaked.

Then, with minimal fanfare, the new and allegedly improved Spaceship Earth reopened in February 2008. Reaction was tepid at best.

Queue: The queue is pretty much exactly the same…but there’s a new mural outside! In fact the biggest aesthetic change (and undoubtedly the best thing to come out of the rehab) was the removal of the giant and wholly idiotic “Epcot” wand on top of the structure.

Ride: The cars are the same, save for a new video screen in front of everyone. It’s important later on (OK, not “important,” let’s go with “it comes into play” later on.) We start uphill and are greeted by the voice of some guy from Siemens who thanks us for riding and then has us pose for an on-ride photo. Worst on-ride photo spot ever. He turns things over to Dame Judi Dench.

“Like a grand and miraculous spaceship…” Doesn’t have the same gravitas as it did with Jeremy Irons. She goes on to say that the key to the future lies in our past and that our ancestors were constantly reinventing the future. See what they did there? The new narration shifts the focus of the ride from the communications theme it had under AT&T to a broader historical context for Siemens.

Cavemen learn how to communicate and write on cave walls but then the Egyptians figure out it makes more sense to move the words instead of leaving them in a cave and invent scrolls. “This leads to better record keeping, plans, designs, and, unfortunately, taxes.” Heh.

Great civilizations follow but they all have their own forms of writing so the Phoenicians create an alphabet. The Greeks invent schools and math (really?) and then the Romans build roads. “The first world wide web.”

OK. I have to interject here. That statement, and really almost all of Judi Dench’s narration, is really idiotic and comes off as kind of flighty and daft. Its like they decided to make the narration light-hearted, kind of like the old World of Motion (only not as intentionally campy and over the top.) And Judi Dench does a good job delivering the lines as written. The problem is that the tone of the scenes themselves haven’t changed. So Judi Dench is cracking jokes and being all “if you remember your A-B-C’s, thank a Phoenician!” while the scenes in front of her are dark and serious.

Case in point, the “fall of Rome” scene. The narration is: “but then we hit a road block! Rome falls and the great library of Alexandria burns.” Not exactly the haunting Jeremy Irons delivery of “those same roads were turned against Rome by invaders.”

Anyway, Islamic and Jewish scholars save some of the texts and monks in Europe record books by hand until Guttenberg invents the printing press. The Renaissance is not far behind. The industrial revolution soon follows and “life’s most important moments” travel faster than ever before. A kid reads a newspaper in a factory, a guy uses a telegraph, the ladies answer the switchboard, and a cinema shows a newsreel.

In a nice new touch, a family watches the Apollo 11 moon landing together. “To send a man to the moon we had to invent a new language spoken not by man but by computers.” We head into a new scene with a giant mainframe computer. The animatronics are dressed in some seventies-rific styles.

“What if someone could have one of these machines in their own home?” Thankfully Bill Gates invents the PC in a garage in California. Sadly they left out the scene where Al Gore invents the Internet. We go through a crazy tunnel with flashing lights and numbers and stuff that they lifted from The Matrix.

We make it to the top of the dome and the cool planetarium scene is in tact, only now without the old female narration of “please remain seated, your time machine vehicles are rotating backwards for your return to Earth” that I love so much because I’m fairly sure the same woman does the “please silence all cell phones” announcement at Cinemark.

So anyway, now it’s time for those new touch screens to come into play. We take a little survey (it’s about 5 questions long so there are tons of potentially different endings) and like the old Horizons we get a “glimpse” of what our lives might be like in the future. This mostly involves wholly absurd Jetsons stuff like flying cars and a suitcase that packs itself. LAME.

“Well…I think the future we’ve created looks pretty promising, don’t you?” No. I think it looks like something you stole from an episode of Futurama. Things thankfully come to a conclusion before they get any worse and we’re left off to explore the Project Tomorrow exhibit.

Thoughts: I know it’s not really fair to judge this ride based on the old version and in all fairness the new scenes during the beginning of the ride are an improvement. The big downside is the narration, which isn’t really bad; it’s just not as good as the old one. The finale, however, ranges from “kind of disappointing” to “a big smelly turd” depending on my general mood.

It was a nice try but the ending could have been so much better. Why not just do the questions and then offer and honest to goodness video of the future. No silly cartoon stick figures with our faces on them. Have a scientist, an anthropologist, an engineer talk about something important. Don't treat human history and the future of civilization as a joke. Treat the material with the weight it deserves.

The update isn't bad. It's just really disappointing considering what they could have done with it.

Overall Rating: *** 1/2

Lakin
02-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Don't bash me here, but I actually like the new version better. :D

I give it ****

bruin1344
02-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Don't bash me here, but I actually like the new version better. :D

I give it ****

same here, its nice to update the end of the ride with potential new technology rather than a 1980s view of the future of stuff that already occurred

i love this ride, nice and relaxing on those hot days, and usually very little waits.

gerald72
02-05-2010, 10:46 PM
I liked the new version. I thought he ending was a pleasant surprise.
Is it just me or are other people having trouble reading the white text in the post?

seanyred
02-05-2010, 11:06 PM
I like the new version except for the ending. I don't fully understand why there can't be any scene's. I miss the city with fiber optic lines flying through it. I just felt more could have been done with the ending.

KAJUNKING
02-06-2010, 01:13 AM
i love spaceship earth, really enjoy all versions, but Jeremy Irons Is my favorite

RAIDER
02-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Its certainly improved since they made it more personal with the mini film at the end now :mickey:

TheVBs
02-06-2010, 09:28 AM
We got a huge kick out of the personal film at the end. :mickey:

Joannelet
02-06-2010, 10:25 AM
I actually like it too. And yes I am having trouble seeing the white print also.

mainemajor
02-06-2010, 10:42 AM
I like the news version a bit better than the old one, but I don't think it's great. We always ride it a couple of times because it is a fu way to relax and unwind for a few minutes. If the wait line is more than 10-15 minutes, we will skip it until later.

Goofy Texan
02-06-2010, 12:13 PM
I like it! If you judge the ride from what it is, and not what it was, then everything works well. I like the ending and find it fun to answer the questions differently each time just to see a new ending.

As for the white text, it's meant to be hard to read. It's called "spoiler" text and is a way to have information others might consider a spoiler readable for those that can't be spoiled. To see it, you need to select it with your curser. The text is now colored on a light background and is easy to read.

Test it and see: This is a sample of spoiler text.

JPL
02-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Call me a purest or nostalgic but I am not a big fan of the new SSE. It went from a must-see 3-4 times a trip to one of those if I have time or there is no line attractions for me. I think the first section of the ride was very well done(although could have been even better) but not a fan of the ending or the new narration at all.

Red Randal
02-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Is it just me or are other people having trouble reading the white text in the post?

I actually like it too. And yes I am having trouble seeing the white print also.

As for the white text, it's meant to be hard to read. It's called "spoiler" text and is a way to have information others might consider a spoiler readable for those that can't be spoiled. To see it, you need to select it with your curser. The text is now colored on a light background and is easy to read.

Thanks, Goofy!

I started doing the spoiler text awhile back because some people said they didn't want to have the surprises in the ride ruined by the "play by play." Just gotta highlight it and it should work fine.

To the others who said they like the ending: I agree that the ending video is kind of fun and I like having my face on a video on a Disney ride, trust me. I just think it would be better suited as an attraction in the post show playground than as the grand finale of a truly epic ride.

Ian
02-06-2010, 05:37 PM
I really like the ability to email your video to yourself and watch it at home after your trip. That's a pretty cool feature!

ILoveLegos
02-06-2010, 11:28 PM
***1/2

I was suprised by all the black curtains on the decent of the ride. It feels kind of unfinshed, like the budget cuts are very evident. Maybe a 2.0 version of the ride will put some new scenery in there when the ecomony rebounds.

Oddly enough, I thought the bouncing heads on the map after exiting the ride were kind of - um - wierd!

Other than that, I kinda missed the Japanese/English kids talking to one another on the computer screen (I'm a student of Japanese - so it was a "insider's" cool thing to me). Mostly I missed the descent music a lot and Jeremy Iron's narration.

The Jetson-esque movie was fun - I always like the Jetsons a little more then the Flintstones (well except the episodes with the Great Kazoo). So I think that qualifies me as a little bit "foward thinker" (LOL) sooo - I'll embrace the SE change (even the funky 70's fashions - but maybe, just maybe those go-go boots & pale tights should be reconsidered - LOL!)

Tigerinvestigator
02-07-2010, 01:23 AM
I'm with most people on this one. I love the updated version except for the ending. I always liked the old ending and the music. Seems like a great big waste of space having nothing but a screen to look at while descending. If they would put futuristic sets all the way down to go along with the video (maybe a jetson type set etc) it would be more bearable!:thumbsup:

Red Randal
02-07-2010, 03:10 AM
I really like the ability to email your video to yourself and watch it at home after your trip. That's a pretty cool feature!

Ian: Totally missed this. Of course I spent a good part of the night at La Cava De Tequila before riding so maybe that had something to do with it, haha. :blush:

Is this something you could do from the post-show? Because I don't even remember it from the home video of the ride I watched while writing up the review.

Ian
02-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Yeah it's in the post-show area. There are little kiosks positioned in a semi-circle around the base of the big map of the world where your pictures come up.

Lakin
02-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Does anyone know how they crop the heads for your photos? I don't know how a computer could do such a great job, because my sister laid down the whole entire ride including the picture and there was no just black circle on the screen (from the background).

When I rode, neither me, my mom, or our dad knew that the picture would come into act later, or that the picture was even coming so quickly, so we all looked funny!!!!

GrmGrninGost
02-07-2010, 09:53 AM
At one time, this was one of my favorite rides ever. With the revamp, it gets a "not too spectacular" from me. :(

SBETigg
02-07-2010, 10:43 AM
I was never a huge fan. I think it's average, old and new versions. I don't like to miss it, but if time is short, I don't go out of my way for it. It's not on my Can't Miss list.

Polynesian Dweller
02-07-2010, 11:38 AM
***1/2

I was suprised by all the black curtains on the decent of the ride. It feels kind of unfinshed, like the budget cuts are very evident. Maybe a 2.0 version of the ride will put some new scenery in there when the ecomony rebounds.

Doesn't really have anything to do with budget cuts. The new sponsor wanted the changes to the ride and the post show. Like when Kitchen Caberet changed to Food Rocks and Nestle got changes to remove references to the previous sponsor, Kraft.

I didn't get the new ending either until I found the big globe where you can send your picture home. Then it works for me. Demonstrates global communication better than the old flashing lights I think.

bellefromboston
02-07-2010, 08:43 PM
I love :cloud9: Spaceship Earth! It's a must-do for me!

ElenitaB
02-07-2010, 08:52 PM
I like the new version and I must say, the "video" at the end is a lot of fun! With as fast as technology is changing these days, a lecture would become outdated mighty quickly.

Ian, thanks for that tip! :thumbsup:

c&d
02-08-2010, 11:02 AM
i love spaceship earth, really enjoy all versions, but Jeremy Irons Is my favorite

:ditto: I really miss Jeremy Irons.

Stu29573
02-08-2010, 11:13 AM
I like the ride, and the new video etc, but the text of the narration is very weak. Am I the only person that remembers the Walter Cronkite version? That was by far my favorite. Irons was pretty good, though...

lightyearfan
02-09-2010, 10:41 AM
well me and dw have no issues with the "new" spaceship earth, if we did have 1 complaint, we too would have preffered Jeremy Irons to still narate. the attraction itself did need an upgrade, which can get tricky because allot of people don't like change, but on the other hand you'll have the people who'll scream and yell for changes, me and dw think that change is good, and keeps us coming back, the new scenes are really nice and makes the ride more true as too how far we've come, as far as the ending goes well, the new ride stresses all about what the future will bring and this ride did that at the end with the screen segmant of our journey back home. stick figures sure but i think that the wdw imagineers did it that way to keep the kiddies happy??? anyway we think that the overall improvement was needed and that this is a must do attraction.

Victor

Ian
02-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I have to say it's kinda grown on me overall. The first time I was pretty disappointed, but now I think it's kinda fun!

I know our kids love it. They really get a kick out of making their video, answering all the questions, and then seeing themselves on the screen and at the end of the ride.

I'm still not a fan of Judy's narration at all, but it's really more of a script issue than it is a Judy issue.

WDWgoofy
03-08-2010, 09:36 PM
C'mon ther is NO other ride/attraction like this on the entire planet! How can u not give it the highest rating. It's the original EPCOT.

HoosierDisneyFan
03-08-2010, 09:45 PM
I do really like SSE but I was expecting "more" from the update. Not sure what "more" I was looking for but...

phillydan
03-08-2010, 10:47 PM
We did the old version one time - everyone was asleep by the end - literally. There was no line and we were leaving Epcot after a very full day. Needless to say, I was the only one to remember any of it.

When we did the new version this past trip, everyone loved it so much, we did it twice. The kids really liked the new interactive stuff on the descent back down.

Very good attraction.:thumbsup:

crltkcagle
03-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Love It!

Laughin' place
03-10-2010, 01:36 PM
On the "plus" side:
some great new flourishes on the way up, visually brighter, fresher, and some great new details for those who have ridden many times

the wand is gone

put the new 'ascent' with the old 'descent' and you have a major upgrade to a top attraction'

Minuses
Irons crushes Judy like a grape

the star trek at the disco outfits as we enter the computer age

loss of the "city of the future" visual and some of the very finest Disney attraction music ever on the way down. The song, the glowing wires, and the city were absolutely inspirational every single time

I miss the Roman chariot

Worst -- the new script -- dumbed down, lessened content, a big enough minus that it keeps me from ignoring all the other little minuses

Still, I do have a huge soft spot and will always consider this a "must". I suppose the budget-eers are counting on this, so maybe the descent will never be "finished"

magicofdisney
03-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Previously, we rode coming into and going out of the park. Now, we might ride it if the wait is short. Rarely do we ride it more than once. My kids do enjoy the video at the end.

Word of caution: if you select Chinese, your narration will be in Chinese. My youngest son got a little giddy with the touch screen one day... (to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure he selected Chinese...but I can guarantee it wasn't English ;) )

Giselle
03-11-2010, 02:15 PM
I like it because:
1. There is rarely a wait.
2. You can sit down and relax and get cool.
3. The whole family can ride.
4. The video at the end is cute.
:mickey:

Red Randal
03-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Word of caution: if you select Chinese, your narration will be in Chinese. My youngest son got a little giddy with the touch screen one day... (to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure he selected Chinese...but I can guarantee it wasn't English ;) )

Wait wait wait... Hold the phone! You can make the narration be in different languages!?! That's going to provide layers and layers of new entertainment.

magicofdisney
03-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Wait wait wait... Hold the phone! You can make the narration be in different languages!?! That's going to provide layers and layers of new entertainment.
Indeed, my friend. :mickey:

CaptainSad
03-13-2010, 06:18 PM
I used to love this ride. Since they decided to change it I thought it would be better. I was not disappointed on the ride up. But the ride down was not what I would have done. I did this during the soft opening back in Dec 07 and asked the Cast Member if they were going to do anything besides that 50's looking computer thing they added. They did say they may add as they go along. But they haven't done anything since. To me it is now a must miss on any future trips for me.

jenperich
03-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Spaceship Earth is hands-down one of my most favorite rides EVER. It's so relaxing and classic. I just love it. I was SO sad the year we went and it was closed. I just hated having to miss it.

T--
03-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Speaking to the dumbed down narrative, why are taxes "unfortunate"? Didn't they provide for a military to protect taxpayers? Aqueducts to provide water? A result of taxes are corrupt politicians that levy them, misuse the military and turn a blind eye to polluters of water. Can anyone but an anarchist argue that taxes are inherently unfortunate?

ryca1dreams
03-14-2010, 09:44 AM
I thought the old narration with J. Irons was more appropriate. I also thought the old music was more fitting and just better.

I don't mind the new additions, even the computer/video game thing at the end. However, the content on it was silly and kind of a Hollywood (Disney) view of the future. Personal jetpacks? Really. That's been tried like in the 60s.

eam
03-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Loved, loved, loved the Al Gore internet reference, but couldn't get it to quote.:funny::funny::funny:

I too loved the old version better, but still thoroughly enjoy this new one. As the old saying goes, Jeremy Irons could read the phone book and I would listen all day.

Thanks for an awesome review-very well written.