PDA

View Full Version : "Give a Day" vollunt"ears" getting special treatment?

MonkeyBaby
02-05-2010, 04:05 PM
I just got my vouchers printed for our upcoming trip. My daughter and I sewed blankets for Project Linus as par of the Give a day/Get a day promotion. Our coordinator told me that she heard that when we redeem our vouchers we'd get buttons identifying us as vollunt"ears". These buttons had been getting people all kinds of attention from cast members and even some special treatment (magic moments)... Our trip is for her birthday, and I know she will be thrilled either way, but the extra attention would sure make her visit even more unforgettable... has anyone else hear this?

-Dave

Catzle
02-05-2010, 04:46 PM
that's what I am doing right now making blankets. Making 4. Have arthritis in the hands so it's a lot of work. I know the kids that get them will love the though so it's worth it. The blankets cost me about $70 for 4 but that sure beats the $89 a ticket they charge for a day. the kids are tying and the husband is helping cut so it is a family thing which is real nice!

gerald72
02-05-2010, 05:51 PM
So are these buttons dated? Couldn't they be used day after day? Or bought and sold on eBay. Sounds like the have significant value.

02-05-2010, 06:23 PM
So are these buttons dated? Couldn't they be used day after day? Or bought and sold on eBay. Sounds like the have significant value.

The buttons are NOT tickets and do not have any "cash value". They are like the birthday or first visit buttons that anyone can get in the park either by going to the button cart by the turnstiles or at City Hall in Town Sq.

gerald72
02-05-2010, 09:48 PM
If they give you special treatment they have value.

DisneyPrincess21
02-05-2010, 10:52 PM
In response to the buying and selling of the volunteer buttons.

I don't want to be the "ethical" police here. But I don't know how ethically right it is to sell and or buy a special volunteer button just so you could get special treatment.
The whole idea of volunteering is to do it without expecting anything in return, and to get a free ticket to Disney just adds a cherry to the top of the feeling you already get just by helping people. But to suggest buying a button (that you didn't earn) just so you could get "extra attention" (when you did nothing to earn the attention) doesn't sit right with me.
I'm not saying I am against someone receiving a free ticket to Disney for their hard work, but I don't agree with the idea of buying and selling of buttons just so someone can get special treatment.

But to each his own.

I am big on doing volunteer work, and I feel that the reward of helping people is much more meaningful than anything I could ever receive here on earth.

To all of the people who are honestly earning your buttons and volunteering, Good for you! You are helping people in many ways. And you may not even realize that, what to you may feel like a seemingly "small task", it still has changed someone's life. Congrats! :thumbsup:

02-05-2010, 11:38 PM
I don't want to be the "ethical" police here. But I don't know how ethically right it is to sell and or buy a special volunteer button just so you could get special treatment.

I really doubt that anyone will "buy or sell" a volunteer button on ebay for the purpose of getting special treatment any more than they would buy/sell a birthday button for the same purpose.

Buttons are handed out at the button cart or at City Hall and there is no "checking" as to whether it is actually someone's birthday or whether it is their 1st visit, guests are taken at their word when they ask for a button. While I don't specifically know about the voluntear button, I would really doubt as to whether you would have to provide any documentation to get one after you enter the park and Guest Relations does not hand them out at the window when you exchange your voucher, at least they weren't doing that with any of the other commemorative buttons.

As I said in an earlier post, they have NO CASH value, only sentimental, and are not any form of a ticket.

As far as getting special treatment, CM's go out of their way to acknowledge birthday buttons, first visit buttons, little girls in costume (saying "hello princess, etc.) and such, so I expect they will do the same with the voluntear buttons also. Actually that is what they are expected to do, to acknowledge these buttons.

I was down last week for a couple of days and didn't see one nor did I hear any CM's acknowledge but I will check the next time I go to the park in a couple of weeks.

I just think the poster that suggested the ebay aspect to the buttons is reaching way far out as to their importance beyond a sentimental significance to the individual that asks for one.

magicofdisney
02-06-2010, 03:07 AM
I never got the impression the poster was going to go on ebay and market these buttons. I think he was merely pointing out the problems that arise when others place value on an item with no obvious "cash value".

In other words, fastpasses have no "cash value" and yet they've ended up on ebay, earning cash because of their "perceived" value.

kakn7294
02-06-2010, 03:39 AM
I figure that CMs are going to get tired of seeing the buttons soon and the "special" treatments will lessen. It happens with every promotion. I'm not going into it expecting anything more than the discount on my AP purchase and with a good feeling that I've done something to help out someone who needed it.

gerald72
02-07-2010, 03:15 AM
The original poster made it seem like the volunteer buttons gave very special attention even beyond that of the birthday and first visit buttons, which are currently listed on eBay.
I was merely suggesting that the sale of the buttons exists. It was made to sound like I want to run an illegal business selling buttons. Which actually wouldn't be illegal at all.

DisneyPrincess21
02-07-2010, 06:49 AM
It was made to sound like I want to run an illegal business selling buttons. Which actually wouldn't be illegal at all.

I would never mean to suggest that you would do something illegal.

Sometimes post don't always come across as you mean for them to. I was just expressing my feelings, sorry if it came across wrong. :hands::wave:

badkitty
02-07-2010, 12:07 PM
People actually sell the free Birthday and 1st Visit buttons and expired Fastpasses on Ebay? And people buy them?

I didn't notice the Volunteer buttons getting any more attention then other buttons but before one of the parades, an announcement was made thanking all the volunteers.

forever a child
02-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Maybe I am missing something here, but if the buttons are being sold on ebay...perhaps it is just for collectability of the button? People collect stranger things for sure!:shrug:

Nascfan
02-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Maybe I am missing something here, but if the buttons are being sold on ebay...perhaps it is just for collectability of the button? People collect stranger things for sure!:shrug:

Like lint. Or string. ;)

Imagineer1981
02-09-2010, 11:45 AM

I can see people buying them. Alot of people don't know you just have to go ask for one. They think its a special gift or something from the parks.

jyln6
02-09-2010, 11:49 AM
I kind of have my own question regarding this topic and wasn't sure where to post it. Has anyone seen the "ears"? My mom, DS9, and I are doing the Linus blankets in a few weeks. We have a trip planned for Sept that include tickets. So we were thinking we'd use the other choices. My DS9 wanted to know what the ears look like to see if that is something he'd wear. He always gets Mickey ears on our trips. Also, had anyone used the special fastpass yet? Can you choose what park to use it at? Sorry to add more questions. Or if this should be moved, please feel free to move it.

Thanks! :mickey:

Patricia
02-09-2010, 01:03 PM
- The "Ears" are not the kind you wear, but rather a figurine with pins. See picture below.

- Disney's FASTPASSŪ Special Exchange Cards for certain attractions for you and up to 5 additional members of your party. (From Disney's Website):

Present voucher at applicable Theme Park ticket booth for Exchange Card. Participating attractions are subject to change. Valid theme park admission required. The number of Exchange Cards is limited and may not be available after 11 a.m. All Guests in your party must be present to receive the Exchange Card.

jyln6
02-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the info and the quick response! Somehow I missed the "figurine" part in the description. But I'm sure my son would still enjoy displaying it in his room.

Thanks again!

CaptSmee
02-10-2010, 12:52 PM
time do to some volunteer work! I want that figurine & pins! maybe I can convince the rest of my family to volunteer to get us some fastpasses as well!:thumbsup:

gerald72
02-11-2010, 04:25 AM

People will buy anything on eBay. Even the free park maps. Even thought its free, its still collectible.

PopPhan
02-11-2010, 09:01 AM
time do to some volunteer work! I want that figurine & pins! maybe I can convince the rest of my family to volunteer to get us some fastpasses as well!:thumbsup:

Those pins are up on eBay right now!!!

cer
02-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Just last week, I traded a cast member for one of those pins! :mickey:

Goofy Pluto
02-11-2010, 10:13 AM
What good would it be to by old Fastpasses on ebay? Aren't they only good the day they are issued?