PDA

View Full Version : help me be a grown up

Tiggerlovr9000
02-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Just got done filing our taxes and we overpaid a fair amount. I am very tempted to book a trip to WDW but should be responsible because I was off work for 5 weeks because of illness..So I could pay off some bills. I DON'T WANT TO, I WOULD RATHER GO SEE MICKEY...:(:(:(:(:( OK TANTRUM OVER...:blush::blush:

SBETigg
02-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Tracey, Mickey will be there waiting when the time is right for you. Your instinct is telling you to do the right thing (pay the bills). It's so much more fun to go when you have the money to spend and no worries, right? Maybe put some aside to start a vacation fund and know that you can go in the future?

Ian
02-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Think of it this way ... if you pay off the bills now that will be that much faster you can save up later for your trip.

tazlikesrobots
02-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Take a small percentage of the money and start a Disney vacation savings account! Pay off the bills and then keep adding money to the account. Before you know it, you will have enough money for the Disney trip of a lifetime :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-05-2010, 07:00 PM
I'd have thought the exact same thing! I can always justify a trip to WDW. I'd just tell myself: the bills will still be there when I get back. Oh wait! That's a BAD thing right?

mdhiggin
02-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Personally, I don't enjoy my vacation as much if I'm worrying that I'm overspending and have debt, so it wouldn't be worth it to go.

Tink#64
02-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Well the right thing for me to do would be to agree with all of the previous posters and say wait! But I have to admit, I'm weak! Vacation is very important to us, it is our one week out of the whole year that we all relax & just enjoy life & being together as a family without all the day to day stress! If not WDW, can you plan a vaca somewhere else less expensive? We've started visiting WDW every other year and on alternate years we stay at the beach for a week. Not the money tho, we spend as much keeping busy & doing at the beach as we do at WDW! But after 3 years in a row, our DS's were asking if we "really had to do this" in reference to a few particulars at WDW, so DH & I decided that we'd all appreciate WDW more if we didn't go every year. And you know what - it worked! We all love the beach vacation but we're chomping at the bit to get back to WDw the following year.

We are visiting WDW this year and we don't have the same budget that we've had in years past, so it's going to be a little shorter trip & we're driving rather than flying. Yes there are other things we could/ probably should spend the money on, but I feel like for our family, our vacation is just as important. You can ask for feedback, but you will ultimately have to make the best decision that you can for your family. Sending you some Pixie Dust that you can make a decision that works for you! :pixie:

Disneymom4ever
02-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Well, I hate to say it, but I have to agree with Shari on this. I think if it weren't for our taxes, we would never get to go! We always have bills we could pay, and yes, if I never mentioned a vacation, my DH would probably do just that. But for me, my boys are growing up way too quick, and some of the best memories I have are of us on our family vacations. It's the one time it's just us, together. So yes, I'm guilty as well, and yes, my bills will still be there. But I wouldn't change a thing. But that's what works for my family, everyone's different. Good luck, it's tough to be a grown up! :mickey:

brownie
02-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Although a trip to Disney World would be a lot more fun, pay off those bills! You'll be able to save more in the long run.

LudwigVonDrake
02-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Pay the bills and start saving for your trip :tink:

caryrae
02-07-2010, 07:36 PM
I have read several time on here that that's what people use for their WDW trip is their tax refund.

crazypoohbear
02-07-2010, 10:34 PM
I look at it this way.
If you were to drop dead tomorrow would your family remember that you paid all the bills or would they remember that you took them on a great trip to disney?
As long as you are not about to go to Debtors prison and you are not behind on the bills I say take the "found" money and go!
I may be in the minority here but I have lost loved ones suddenly and that is when I started thinking about what would my family remember?

Tiggerlovr9000
02-08-2010, 09:00 AM
I look at it this way.
If you were to drop dead tomorrow would your family remember that you paid all the bills or would they remember that you took them on a great trip to disney?
As long as you are not about to go to Debtors prison and you are not behind on the bills I say take the "found" money and go!
I may be in the minority here but I have lost loved ones suddenly and that is when I started thinking about what would my family remember?

This is what I was thinking. Over Christmas we had to attend the funeral of one of my ds friends. He was only 22. thanks for the replies.

forever a child
02-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Oh, this is a hard post to reply to. I will be using a portion to pay on Disney trip and a portion in other area (not bills but car repairs that need doing). I really want to use it all on WDW but cant. :fit: If you children are like mine (age 15) she wont be around much longer to do trips like this...so it is off to Disney we go! I will just have to do a value resort instead of a moderate which is what we would prefer.:( Good luck deciding!:mickey: