PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain and kids..

GINNY69
02-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Hello I am wondering if you have any children did your kids enjoy space mountain. I have a 7 year old son and I think he will be ok on this ride. I just worry because he will have to sit in the middle alone on the ride with me in front and my husband in the back. My son is use us sitting beside him on a ride and its a dark ride. He is not afraid of the dark either.. I think I may be thinking to much on this and I really believe he will be fine.. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.. thank you so much..

sbgat711
02-04-2010, 05:00 PM
my 5 1/2 year was just tall enough to ride it last week - we left it up to her as to whether to ride - she decided to try it and liked it a lot - went on several times. my 8 year old has loved it since he was 6. i'm sure there are many young kids that would not enjoy it, however, so i would leave it up to your child.

NewDVCowner
02-04-2010, 05:11 PM
I haven't seen it myself, but many people here have talked about rides being posted on you tube. Try pulling it up and having him watch it. From there he can decide if he'd like to try it or not.

BigThunderFan
02-04-2010, 05:59 PM
I doubt the YouTube video would help much on this one since it is completely in the dark...

My 7yo son rode it last week and was very excited about it. Immediately afterwards he didn't seem to like it, too rough and unexpected turns. But then later on he wanted to ride it again.

What I did to help him out was sit behind him and hold my hands to each side a little away from his head to help support him on the sharper turns. It helped keep his head from snapping too much left or right, but it was still pretty rough. If it was light and he could prepare for the jerks I think he would have been just fine. He loved BTMRR and I think this one is even more rough.

He was also uneasy after getting off Everest, but rode it several times still. And now he says that was his favorite ride of the trip! Kids are weird.

g8rgirl29
02-04-2010, 06:14 PM
What I did to help him out was sit behind him and hold my hands to each side a little away from his head to help support him on the sharper turns. It helped keep his head from snapping too much left or right, but it was still pretty rough. If it was light and he could prepare for the jerks I think he would have been just fine. He loved BTMRR and I think this one is even more rough.

Were you able to actually sit in the same car but behind him?? We just went in Jan and DD wanted to go on but didn't want to be in a car by herself so we decided to wait until next trip. She loves all the thrill rides, EE, TOT, and BTMRR. We are going to try it in Sept when it will be both my husband and I with her.

SBETigg
02-04-2010, 06:20 PM
The seats are pretty secure and you're all close. Not in the same seat, no. One seat per rider, but they are one in front of the other. My kids were more frightened of the drop on Splash Mountain at that age. It didn't matter that I was right next to them. :) Your children have a chance to see the ride loading before they get on, so they have time to decide if they will truly be too scared or if they can handle it. I think most kids at that age do just fine on it.

Tink#64
02-04-2010, 11:48 PM
My youngest is my thrill seeker - me - not so much! We rode this for the 1st time when DS was only 6 and I was way more scared for him than he was! I think it was because I couldn't see him! He was in the front, then DH, older DS & then me! I was just about having a panic attack, worrying about him. I was the one totally unprepared for that ride! It's been his favorite ever since & now I've decided that it's just better for me not to ride it at all! I think the lights get to me! Like a strobe light effect, which I hate, it really bugs me for some reason! So, better to know what to expect and then decide if it's for you! We ride 99% of all rides at WDW, experience has taught us which ones aren't each of our's personal fav's & those we now skip.

Kenny1113
02-05-2010, 08:32 AM
DS8 loves space mtn! He has lived since he was 6. He is not a roller coaster fan either. He rode splash once and will not ride again. DS5 says he wants to ride space next time we go!
I also held on to his hands, my sis sat in front Of him and found away to hold onto him as well so that he knew we were there! Enjoy!

diz_girl
02-05-2010, 11:42 AM
I rode SM for the first time when I was six (almost 7). I loved it and I'm not a thrill seeker. I don't know if I rode it again during that trip. It was mid-June in 1976 and since it was pre-fastpass the lines were 90-120 minutes long so we probably just did other things.

Just give him the option of riding it and just be careful in your tone so you don't make him afraid to ride it. Then let him know that if he wants to change his mind at any time then that's fine with you.

BigThunderFan
02-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Were you able to actually sit in the same car but behind him?? We just went in Jan and DD wanted to go on but didn't want to be in a car by herself so we decided to wait until next trip. She loves all the thrill rides, EE, TOT, and BTMRR. We are going to try it in Sept when it will be both my husband and I with her.

Like someone else mentioned, we weren't in the same seat like they used to be, but in the same car. He was in the front seat and I sat right behind him in the middle seat. There are 3 seats per car (rocket) and 2 cars linked together.

He loved the ride, had no apprehension beforehand about going on it. The only problem was how rough it was and I just wanted to ease it on him a little bit.

KylesMom
02-05-2010, 12:37 PM
DS was 7 or thereabouts when he finally "found his nerve" and decided he was ready to try Space Mountain. Like others mentioned, I sat in the front seat and DH sat in the back with his hands placed on either side of DS' shoulders. Needless to say, it became his favorite attraction at the time. :mickey:

It was another couple of years before he got the nerve up to try RocknRollercoaster. :D

bxrluv
02-05-2010, 04:03 PM
:high5:Space Mountain was the first real coaster for both of my daughters. The thing I really like about it is with my kids, the anticipation of something gets them much more worked up than anything. Staring at an outside coaster at Cedar Point would have had them so freaked out they never would have made it through the line! They couldn't get themselves too worked up waiting for Space Mountain and have a panic attack. I know how they are. Once they do something scary, they have a great time, end up high fiving (something we only see on vacation) and want to do it again because now they're cool.

bruin1344
02-05-2010, 09:04 PM
I remember at age being nervous about going on space mountain since everyone talked about how scary it was but i ended up going on it anyways and liked it a lot.

NJDad
02-06-2010, 06:59 AM
Our 7 year old, there last week, loves Tower of Terror (since age 5), Big Thunder (also since 5), now tall enough to love Space Mt, Everest, but scared of the RocknRoller coaster.

Since I'd place Everest or TofT as the scariest, it's hard to figure.

DisneyFr33k
02-06-2010, 07:08 AM
I had a worse time than my kids! I have neck issues and the fact that they don't have a high seat back (so I can lean back to secure my head) made it a very jerky ride.

Anyway, the first time my kids went on it they were 6 & 4. My 6 year old LOVES any thrill ride, but my 4 year old not so much. However he (my 4 year old) LOVED the ride! I was nervous about him sitting alone too. I sat behind him and was able to lean forward to keep my hands on him.

Kaps
02-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Once he rides it you will be back here all day. My seven year old loves it. It is his favorite ride:number1: