PDA

View Full Version : How about one more 1/23-1/30 review?

BigThunderFan
02-03-2010, 02:23 PM
We were on the DDP, myself, DW, DS7, and DD3.

First the counter service places:
We hit Roaring Forks in WL on several occasions for breakfast and late dinners. Everything we had was very good, and we didn't think the menu was as limited as we had heard prior to going. The brownies are amazing, and they had a very good chicken corn chowder that counted as a snack!
We had the fish and chicken from Columbia Harbor House and a kid's chicken nuggets (this was a recurring theme). Both were good, but hard to screw those up. One night I had fish & chips from the UK in Epcot, again good, but fried fish and fried potatoes are still hard to do badly.
At AK we hit Flame Tree BBQ again, we loved this our last trip so had to go again. The ribs were very good, but a couple were pretty fatty. DW had the pork sandwich and liked it. We tried one each of the dessert parfaits. Both were good, the chocolate very rich, and the key lime very yummy!
We ate at the ABC Commisary in HS and thought it was OK. I had the chicken bleu sandwich and my wife the double cheeseburger (why they don't have a single on the menu I don't know, most was tossed because it was too much). The desserts here were pretty good though, the strawberry dessert is sugar free and was really good.
We had 2 extra CS meals left the night before we left, so we got the turkey and ham ciabotta sandwiches from Roaring Forks and took them on the plane with us the next morning. Both were good and the kids liked them too! Take ziplock bags with you and use that fridge!

Some snacks that were great:
Cream cheese stuffed pretzels from Lunching Pad in Tomorrowland.
Crepes in France, and almond croissant from Boulangerie Patisserie in France.
Ice cream cookie sandwich from Sleepy Hollow.
Brownies and Mickey shaped rice crispy snacks at Roaring Forks.

And now for the main course:
1/24 Fantasmic! dinner package at Hollywood & Vine. The food was ok, regular buffet/cafeteria style. Nothing spectacular but not bad by any means.
1/25 Princess breakfast at Akershus. Great character interaction here! My DD loved it very much. We all ate pretty good. The food off the cold bar was good, very good fruit and several types of yummy pastries. The hot food included eggs, bacon, link sausage, potato casserole (very good), and I think biscuits? Good overall meal.
LeCellier for lunch. I was very impressed with the mushroom risotto and filet here. I used the pretzel bread and cleaned my bowl:mickey:. DW had the strip which I thought was very salty, but she said she liked it. We split the kid's (they wouldn't eat it) cheddar soup which was very good. I had the chocolate moose (mousse?) and DW had the whiskey cake which were both amazing. Another clean plate...
1/26 Boma - the only bad food experience we had. I had to fight to do this one again since DW is not very adventurous. I loved it again, she did not, again. Coupled with the worst service I ever received, or a better description lack of service, this one I think will never make it back on our list. My drink was empty the entire meal. Our server was talking all night with the big group next to us and never so much as looked at us again after bringing the original drinks. DW and the kids had already gone up to wait in the lobby for 10 minutes before he came back to bring us our check and then asked if I needed a refill. Nope I'm good, thanks. I don't blame this on the restaurant, but DW didn't like it much anyway so I doubt we'll get to give it a 3rd chance. But DS loved the zebra domes!
1/28 Whispering Canyon breakfast. Great meal, and loved the antics. It wasn't too bad since it was breakfast, but our server (Cajun Chad I believe) was great and I would have loved to see the place during a regular meal! The kids laughed forever when people kept coming to bring me ketchup for the potatoes, and couldn't wait to take all the bottles to someone else when they asked!
Dinner at Kona - This was very good as well. DW and I both had the teriyaki strip and enjoyed them. Desserts were fabulous, I had the Kilauea Torte and she had the white chocolate cheesecake. Both were very delicious. I did not however like the shrimp tempura sushi roll. Too plain for me and very dry, even with the sauce.
1/29 closing brunch at Chef Mickeys. This is a tradition for us on our last full day and it was great as always. The characters were great and since we were near the end of breakfast (11:20 ADR) they came around several times and we had lots of interaction with them. The food was very good too, we love the Mickey waffles, but they had a potato casserole with peppers and onions that was to die for.

All in all a great week of eating and we would recommend all of these places without a doubt. Except DW would not recommend Boma. But she's super picky so ignore her.

Sorry it was soooo loooonngg!:thumbsup:

BluegrassDaisy
02-03-2010, 04:11 PM
You did several of our favorites! We spent one night at AKL before our cruise in 2008 and we made a special trip to WL just for breakfast at WC; we love that place! I like the idea of the late breakfast at Chef Mickey's, we are normally ready for lunch by 11:30, hmm, maybe next trip. Thanks for the post!

Scar
02-03-2010, 04:23 PM
We hit Roaring Forks in WL on several occasions for breakfast and late dinners. Everything we had was very good, and we didn't think the menu was as limited as we had heard prior to going. The brownies are amazing, and they had a very good chicken corn chowder that counted as a snack!Glad to hear Roaring Forks is better. When we stayed there 6 years ago it was pretty bad.

Oh, and yea, pretty much anything fried is hard to do badly. :D

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the reviews

MinnieMommie
02-09-2010, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the reviews. This is really helpful and enjoyable to read. I have to say that we too had a very bad server at Boma and that has influenced our willingness to go back. The server seemed out of character for the rest of our experience while staying at AKL but to hear that someone else had a less than ideal experience leads me to think my experience was not isolated. Thanks for sharing. :mickey: