PDA

View Full Version : Mom's 1st Trip

michellerose1579
02-03-2010, 09:15 AM
My Mom will be 52 when we go to Disney this fall. She has never been before, and I have only been once. She was hesitant to go when I first told her I had made the plans. (I couldn't believe it, because after just one trip, I was hooked and DYING to go again) I have bought some travel guides to try and convince her that Disney isnt "just for kids". I feel it is a trip that everyone should make at least once in their lifetime. Does anyone have any suggestions of things that she might enjoy, or things to avoid? She is not one for rollercoasters. But did say she would try Splash Mountain. Im kinda lost here and Id like to include her in the planning as much as possible. We are staying at Wilderness Lodge. Thanks!!

BigRedDad
02-03-2010, 09:52 AM
It is hard to say because she is not too familiar with WDW.

Suggestions:
1. Shows: All street performances, parades, stage shows, and indoor shows are fun
2. Fireworks: Wishes and Illuminations
3. Resort hopping
4. World Showcase
5. Different restaurants

This is a start.

michellerose1579
02-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Thank you so much. I just want her first visit to be magical. Im SO excited about going back and she doesnt seem that excited. She never takes a vacation, so I wanted it to be great and since she fell in love with Wilderness Lodge when we were watching the Vacation Planning DVD, I made sure that was where we are staying this time.

vicster
02-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Just a tip - if you plan on dining at WDW restaurants be sure and make reservations. You can make reservations 180 days out and the restaurants do book up. Dining at WDW restaurants in one of the great experiences of vacationing there.

Tell your mother my kids are grown and my husband and I still make the trip every year! Also, WL is our favorite resort so I know she'll love staying there - have a great trip!!!

Disneyfirsttimer
02-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Howdy Orange County Neighbor! Have a great time!

Disney is magical at any age. It is definitely not just for children. As a matter of fact, I think adults can appreciate more in some ways.

I agree with the other poster - shows, parades, etc. Also, if she is not a thrill ride fan, attractions like Philarmagic, Fantasmic, etc. are great. Always more mellow rides like Pirates is a lot of fun.

At Epcot, Soarin is a must and we love Test Track. We also love all of the dining in Epcot.

Have a great time!!!!

Karyn

dreamscometrue
02-03-2010, 10:42 AM
I took my mom for her first time for her 80th and my 50th birthdays. She is a very spry 80 year old! She was hesitant at first, but as soon as we were in the MK, she fell in love! It was one of my best trips. Her favorites:

Meeting the characters, especially her fave, Donald Duck
World Showcase entertainment, especially the Mexican band and the UK players
Spaceship Earth (another big hit!)
Ellen's Energy thing (i napped :blush:)
Soarin' (she LOVED this)
SpectroMagic
Dumbo, Aladdin's Carpets
Pirates
Jungle Cruise
TTA
Dinner in the Castle
Fantasmic
Muppets 3D

She's going back with us this April and can't wait to visit AK, which we missed last time. "Safari? hmmm..I'd like to do a Safari" quote from Mom!

We went during January, because of low crowds and the cooler weather. Even though I had park days and ADR's planned, I took my ques from her on what she wanted to do. Relax and I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

michellerose1579
02-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Wow! Thats pretty cool that we live so close :) I thank you guys for your wonderful comments. I'm hoping to talk her into BTMRR, as it isnt really that scary and if she can do Splash Mtn with that big drop at the end, BTMRR should be a piece of cake. Hopefully, she will want to be part of the planning process (I want to get some character dining in too! Gotta do Chef Mickey!) Haha!

michellerose1579
02-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Wow.. Im definately gonna tell my mom about your mom! :) She wont think Disney is "just for kids" anymore! I got a great book at Barnes & Noble called Disney Without Kids. Can't wait to show it to her!:mickey:

EeyoresBestFriend
02-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Good for You!

We took my parents for their first time a couple of years ago. They are in their early 70s. Like your Mum, they were hesitant about it because they had no idea what they were going to and I honestly think they were doing the "well, let's humour the kids" thing. Once we got there and they saw how beautiful and diverse it was, they fell in love. :mickey:
My suggestion would be to work your way up on rides start with easier ones and see how she does. That way you won't take her on anything she is likely not to enjoy. My parents found that BTMR was as daring as they would get! But they loved it all! So much so that they went back with us a year later at christmas! :cloud9:
The memories and pictures were worth every cent!!

mom2Z&A
02-03-2010, 11:13 AM
:mickey:We took my mom for her first trip about 10 years ago. It was myself, DH, DS 2 1/2, mom. She had never been to Florida either! Mom loved it so much and to see her gransdon at Disney as well :cloud9:. She was not one for roller coasters either but we rode everything that we could get DS on so that made it easier. We weren't letting either one of them leave without doing as much as possible!

To this day that was my favorite trip... and hers :number1:. Your mom may find that she loves it as well! There is a guide out there that it "Disney for Adults". Go check it out and let her read it. It may change her mind.

My mom was 49 when she went on that trip. A year later her vision failed due to degenration (not macular...Wilmers can't diagnose it). She is now legally blind and can only make out shapes and some colors. :cry:

I am so glad I was able to take to her to Disney at least once and she was able to see it and her grandson at Disney. You never know what the future will hold. :)

Eeyore's Pal
02-03-2010, 11:40 AM
My mother (who I took for the first time when she was 70 and I was 40) loves the Tea at the Garden View in the Grand Floridian. Staying at the WL (our favorite resort) it's just a skip and a hop away.

In the parks she likes the Mickey's Philharmagic, Haunted Mansion, Kali River Rapids (which surprised me), the Safari .... There are SO MANY wonderful things for all ages. This will be my 5th trip and I haven't gone with kids yet. :blush:

Darbylew
02-03-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't always go with children. This past fall
I went with three friends and we had so much
fun. We don't do the rollercoasters but there is
so much to keep you busy with other rides and
shows. We loved the parades and fireworks. I
think your Mom is going to love it and being
with you will be very special. I go a lot with my
daughter and we have the best time! :mickey:
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
MAY!!!!!!! :D

michellerose1579
02-03-2010, 11:46 AM
You guys are WONDERFUL! Thank you! To the last poster, you said you stay at Wilderness Lodge when you go? Is there anything special about that resort that I should know before we go? My mom loves rocking chairs and fireplaces and when she saw the large fireplace and rocking chairs on the DVD, she fell in love. I'm just over the moon to be staying at a Deluxe! :)

Eeyore's Pal
02-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Look around the resort for the "hidden spots".

On the opposite side of the lobby from the big fireplace, there is an area one or two floors up that has a smaller fireplace with couches and chairs that overlooks the lobby. This is a nice place to relax and take in what's going on without necessarily being in the center of the action.

Another spot I like is, I think, on the fourth floor above the fountain that leads out to the river. There is a balcony where you can sit that overlooks the pool and the lake and it's a very nice spot to watch the electric water pageant from.

The boats to the MK are so much nicer than a bus, and the dock is directly across from the entrance.

There are some beach chairs on the area between the docks if you just want to relax in the sun. There never seems to be anyone there when we've been there.

Have a wonderful time!

michellerose1579
02-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Oh it sounds so wonderful! I wish it was Sept 21 tomorrow...haha!

I also have contacted Magical Journeys and I feel very confident that it will be a wonderful planning experience as well.

Now, just waiting until September will be the tough part!

:rocks:

c&d
02-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Definitely dinner at Artist Point at WL. We eat there every time, the food has always been good and the service excellent.

Watching the electric parade from the beach at WL at night is always fun. You can stand on the dock and watch the fireworks shoot over the Comtemporary at night.

There's an exercise path from WL to FW at early morning and at dusk it's a time when the deer are out eating. It's a very quiet and relaxing walk.

Also as others have said the live shows. The Lion King show at AK is one of my favorites.

bellefromboston
02-03-2010, 09:27 PM
I took my mom to wdw in december and it was wonderful! Make sure you see all the wonderful shows - festival of the lion king, nemo, and fantasmic are all great. Cape May Cafe is an excellent character meal for adults at the beach club resort with delicious food. The tea at the grand floridian would also be fun. Have a great trip and enjoy every moment!:mickey:

Tink#64
02-04-2010, 12:42 AM
My DM was 62 when she went to WDW for her first time with us in 2005! She loves it! She's been back with us once since then & she has her fav's! She absolutely loves Epcot - all of it! Her fav ride in all of the parks is Soarin! We rode it 3x in a row! Her 2nd fav is SplMtn! She really gets a kick out of that one! She did BTMR but roller coasters aren't her thing. I think she really enjoyed everything in Fantasyland, all the 3D shows - all parks! She loves the night time events, fireworks, Spectro Magic, but IllumiNations is her fav! She enjoys riding the boats, she loved taking the boat from Epcot over to the Boardwalk for dinner & shopping! Boy does she love shopping in WDW! I think she really enjoyed everything she did! All shows, all attractions & she really enjoy Cirque du Soleil.

I'm sure that you & your mom will make lots of magical memories together! Those trips with my mom are priceless! :cloud9:

DisneyPrincess21
02-04-2010, 03:05 AM
My Mom will be 52 when we go to Disney this fall. She has never been before, and I have only been once. She was hesitant to go when I first told her I had made the plans. (I couldn't believe it, because after just one trip, I was hooked and DYING to go again) I have bought some travel guides to try and convince her that Disney isnt "just for kids". I feel it is a trip that everyone should make at least once in their lifetime. Does anyone have any suggestions of things that she might enjoy, or things to avoid? She is not one for rollercoasters. But did say she would try Splash Mountain. Im kinda lost here and Id like to include her in the planning as much as possible. We are staying at Wilderness Lodge. Thanks!!

I would suggest taking your mom on rides that would make her feel like a kid again. My mom (who is 54) loves the peter pan ride in Magic Kingdom, she has to ride it at least once every trip.
Also, something that may be interesting for your mom would be at Disney's Hollywood Studio's called "one man's dream" it is a walk through disney musem all about Walt Disney's life, from the Mickey mouse club, to building Disney world. Also at the end there is a theater which has a nice documentary about Walt's life. Since your mom is in her 50's i am sure she grew up watching The Mickey Mouse Club and The Wonderful World Of Disney, and i am sure she would enjoy reminiscing about her childhood.

:tink:
I Hope You And Your Mom Have A Magical Vacation! :wave:

michellerose1579
02-04-2010, 10:56 AM
What wonderful ideas! You guys are making me tear up here. I just made the reservations with Jet Blue for the plane ride. I can't believe they are charging an extra $25 per person, per trip for a few extra inches of leg room. Even though Im a bigger girl, I didnt go for it. I went on Jet Blue the last time I went to Disney in 2007 and was comfortable. I really cant see spending another 100 dollars for a few extra inches for a few hours.

renecat
02-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Your mom is younger than I am and I go at least once a year.I'v been going for over 25 years. Like many have said soarin is a must do. Also wishes , illuminations and fantasmic.
All the parades and if you are going in Sept. you might think about Mickeys not so scary halloween party. It's a great time.

Aunt Terri
02-04-2010, 03:33 PM
We surprised my in-laws with a trip to disney March 2009... we do not have any kids (except hubby) .. I am 37 DH is 37... DMiL 54... DDiL 56.... they had never been before either but they feel in love with it .. that we are planning another one for my DMiL birthday in Dec 2010.. she gets motion sickness so no major rides.. she did ride splash mnt and loved it.. we did the char pics.. fireworks... almost everything except the roller coasters.. we had to get her an scooter because she has leg troubles but that didn't slow her down either... we tried to convince her to slow down and we could all go back to resort but she was to excited about everything :cloud9: She always thought it would be like an amusement park but she said she was so wrong and now they are WDW fans as much as I am :mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
02-04-2010, 06:26 PM
We got my mother there for the first time when she was 77.
She found plenty of things that she enjoyed, especially having her picture taken at the character breakfasts, and went back again the following year.

And for the record...I am older the the OP's mother and I still ride everything.
Except the Teacups. :sick:

Quit doing those about 15 yrs ago. :D

wdwfansince75
02-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Gee, 52....just a kid!
DW and I convinced her folks to join us for our first trip....DMIL was 63, and DFIL was 65.....DMIL didn't think she would enjoy the rides, but went on a few because the kids talked her into it....and we almost had to leave her there! Her favorites, which she insisted on doing on her second trip, six years later, were POTC (she thought the pirate with the hairy legs looked like DFIL), HM, JC, IASW, the People Mover, and Peter Pan....She also loved the parades and fireworks....and just people watching. DMIL was 65 on our first trip....and our kids still talk about doing WDW with grandma and grandpa....35 years later.
We took our grandkids for the first time when DW was 53 and I was 55....saw the world through the grandkids eyes, and saw and felt the special magic that only kids and grandparents can see and feel...

LVT
02-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Hi, I am 53 and love Expedition Everest. It is a smooth roller coaster. I go on everything, but the other roller coasters are jerky and I hit my limits fast.
Tower of Terror makes me laugh.
I also love the Muppets, since I have "known them for many years".
In the Great Movie Ride I sing along with "Off to see the Wizard."
She will love it.

kemps@wdw
02-06-2010, 11:40 PM
I think your mom is gonna enjoy alot more of the World than she thinks. Rollercoasters are only a small part of the magic. (although, at almost 50, I NEVER miss a chance to ride RRC).
When we started in the 70's, commando style was the way to go. Non-stop from sun up to midnight. But as we've aged, we've slowed down...a bit...and are looking @ the World from a different perspective. And have noticed alot more that we missed in our earlier days. A couple of things she might enjoy...resort hopping. Make a day of it. Eating and drinking your way "around the World" @ Epcot, fab shows @ DHS, safaris @ AK. And of course all the parades and fireworks shows. I hope you all have a wonderfully magical journey!:) And the WL is a great choice. Ask about being "Flag Family of the Day". And, if you're and early riser, check out the boat dock @ sunrise. (that's my AM coffee spot)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-07-2010, 03:57 PM
I too am in your mother's age range and I've been going to WDW since around 1975. There isn't a whole lot I won't go on. I've never done RNRC, I've only done SM &ToT once but everything else is pretty great. Tell her not to skip the "kid" rides either; those are some of my favorites. BTMRR tosses you around a little but as long as she holds on she'll do fine. And Splash Mtn is not to be missed-the theming is fantastic. And that big drop is over in no time!