PDA

View Full Version : Dining Reviews week of Jan 23 - 30 2010

WelshieLover
02-02-2010, 05:30 PM
I will update theis post as I go:

Dining week of 1/23 thru 1/30/10

Just for from the world and wanted to post about our dining experiences. There are 4 of us in our party, myself my husband my 21 year old son and his 21 year old girlfriend. We decided not to do the dining plan this trip as we wanted to share appetizers and desserts. We ate a sit down meal at least once a day.

Overall observations: the food at WDW is definitely overpriced for what you get, but I feel that is to be expected. I don’t think the food is as bad as some posters state. I do fell the counter-service especially in some parks is absolutely horrible.

1st day Lunch shared a chicken salad sandwich from the Boardwalk Bakery. This was one of the better counter-service meals we had. I will get into more details later. You really cannot go wrong with any of the bakeries for a quick lunch or breakfast. All the food was fresh and tasty. For diner we ate at the Coral Reef, my son picked it. The restaurant is beautiful. As I have read it is extremely noisy and filled with children. It has to be the aquarium that brings them because it really does not feel like a kids place at all. The food was decent; the menu has plenty for people who don’t want seafood. The odd thing is that with the exception of crab cakes as an appetizer, there really is not any shellfish on the menu. My husband prefers shellfish to fish. My son’s girlfriend had the crab cakes (which were very small) and the seafood bisque as a meal. My son and I had the steak and my husband a fish dish. We shared a chocolate dessert. Again it was decent, but not spectacular.

2nd day we ate lunch at San Angel in EPCOT. My son tends to be picky, again he and his girlfriend chose this restaurant. I felt he may like the lunch menu better than dinner. The chips and salsa were good. The salsa was not a jar variety it was a Pico de Gallo. My son had the rib eye tacos, his girlfriend and myself the enchiladas and my husband the pork dish that I believe was a specialty. There are quite a few family owned Mexican restaurants (not chains) in our area this was for the most part on par with them. We also tried the new Tequila bar later in the week :marg:. It was very good. We headed over to DHS as they had Fantasmic that night. We went over to the bakery which was closed, and then over to Pizza Planet and Studio Catering both also closed. We ended up at ABC Commissary which was awful! My son had a kid’s meal, his girlfriend and my husband a burger. I had the chicken blue sandwich. In my opinion it was horrible. I did not eat much of it. Later that evening we went to Kat Kouzzina for dessert and drinks we were so hungry still. I really can’t say much about Kat Kouzzina except we walked right in without reservations and there were plenty of tables. The desserts were good.

WelshieLover
02-03-2010, 11:13 AM
3rd day Originally when I booked my reservations Fantasmic was supposed to be Monday night not Sunday. So we spent most the day at DHS, left in the PM for a pool break and then back for our dinner reservations. Lunch we had down by all the outdoor vendors near the Tower of Terror. My son and his girlfriend had pizza and my husband and I shared a BBQ rib and chicken combo. We expected it to be good because we had BBQ at AK in Jan 2009. Not so, I am not sure if they still give out corn muffins at AK but none were given here and the food was only OK. My husband thinks I am too picky with food, but he was the one who complained about this meal, so I don’t think I am off base. I think DHS has to step up their counter-service meals we had 2 bad experiences there. For dinner we had reservations at Mama Melrose. If I had known Fantasmic had changed I probably would have cancelled and looked for something else. This meal was not bad, but we have so many good Italian restaurants in our area that I would have preferred to eat elsewhere. The bread was hot and right out of the oven, our waitress was a bit curt, but attentive. I had the steak which came out warm not hot. My son the chicken parm, that he said was good but the sauce was different. My husband had the sausage. My son’s girlfriend had a flat bread. No one said wow this is great but it was not bad.

4th day We spent this day in MK. For lunch we ate at Columbia Harbor House. Not a bad choice for fast food. I had the broccoli slaw sandwich, my husband the tuna sandwich and the others had chicken fingers. As far as fast food goes this was pretty good. For dinner we went over to the WL to Whispering Canyon Café. We had never eaten here although I knew it would not be a nice quiet meal. Our server was good but distracted or had too many tables we did get refills but often waited a lot longer than necessary. My son had the pasta dish his girlfriend the meat loaf, my husband and I had the skillet. The meal was fine. I think the pasta may have been the best dish. My husband enjoyed it and it was entertaining. It was nice to get over to the WL but I don’t think we will come back here for dinner. Next time I would like to try the Artist Point.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the reviews...I agree with ABC commissary it was hands down worst meal we ever had at Disney...so bad we threw ours away