PDA

View Full Version : FL Residents

cmshelton1979
02-01-2010, 09:30 AM
I am curious about something. If you are located near DW, how often do you go? If you go often does it lose its magic?

Its our dream to move down to FL (within a couple hours of DW). We've been talking about it more and more it seems....I was just wondering if it is so easy for you to go, does it lose any of the magic? I know we have a membership to the Indianapolis Children's Muesuem here in Indianapolis...and we go alot, but after the first 5 or 10 times its really just for the kids to go play...it is just familiar now...I was just curious if that happens to locals???

megustamex
02-01-2010, 10:29 AM
We did it differently when we lived there. We would never go for a week - we would drive up for the day and do one park, or maybe stay over one night. The trips became different because we would take it slow - we knew there was no rush to do anything because we could always come back. I remember using Epcot as a great dinner place, then we would just hang out and relax afterwards. It became more of a peaceful magic!

BigRedDad
02-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Its been a long while since I lived close. When we were there and spent more than a couple of days, there was only MK and River Country. You take it much slower, enjoy the finer things that is offered. It is not as much running around.

MNNHFLTX
02-01-2010, 12:23 PM
When we lived in Central Florida (actually over on the east coast), we had a Florida Resident Seasonal Pass. This meant we could go over to WDW for about 9 months of the year, with blackout periods during the busiest times (Christmas week, Thanksgiving week, Spring Break and about two months out of the summer). This suited us just fine, as we didn't care to go during peak periods anyway. Most of the time we did day trips at least once or twice a month, but on occasion we stayed for a long weekend at one of the resorts, so that we could get the whole experience. It never got old to us; in fact, as the other posters have mentioned, you can really enjoy the parks at a relaxed pace. If there's something you didn't get to see or go on one time, you just make a mental note to do it the next time you are there. And since you don't feel the compulsion to go on all of the popular attractions every single time, you can focus on some of the lesser-known features of the parks. I remember one day when my son was little we spent a half day on Tom Sawyer's island alone, exploring all the nooks and crannies and watching the rafts come and go on the island.

When you live in Florida and are able to go to WDW at will, you almost feel a sense of ownership in the park (for lack of a better way of describing it). :)

malip
02-01-2010, 04:50 PM
We live 60 miles from front door to front gate and have had annual passes off and on for the past 5 years. We do day trips at least once a month. When things start to get a little redundant, we decide to only do things we haven't done like shows or parades to mix it up. This keeps it from getting 'old' as well as gives us the opportunity to experience all that WDW has to offer. One of our favorite things to do is just wander around the WS at Epcot and take in all the entertainment. Most people only stop at these for a minute or two. It is amazing how talented and enjoyable some of these people are. We would never have done that if we didn't live so close.

Daisy'sMom
02-01-2010, 07:28 PM
We have annual passes and go at least once a month. Sometimes we just go to the marketplace and other times we make a game out of going. How long will it take us to do the safari at AK and ride the bus over to DHS for the Great Movie Ride, things like that. It really never gets boring. And I do feel like I own a part of WDW. :mickey:

dnickels
02-01-2010, 10:03 PM
This year I'm not staying in the area, but the past two winters I lived just about three miles from the rear entrance, had an AP and I went over pretty frequently.

I'd usually go over in the evenings for a few hours, catch a few rides, watch a parade and the fireworks, grab a snack or drink and head out. That's a definite benefit if you live just a few minutes away, there's no need to spend the whole day at a park to make the drive or cost worth it.

I never felt like it lost any of it's luster, but I was also away from Florida for a few months a year so maybe that break served to make the heart grow fonder. I have no idea if that's helpful or not, but it's just my experience. :mickey:

And I always feel the need to add something when people talk about moving to Florida. Just remember that Disney sometimes gives people a warped view of Florida. The sidewalks are swept, the roads uncrowded, the transportation systems timely, someone sprays for bugs, cuts the grass, serves us our meals. There are lots of great things about Florida, but it has the same problems anywhere else in the country does. Urban sprawl, traffic, inconsiderate people, you know the list. I happen to think it's a pretty awesome place for about 8 months a year, but those are just things to keep in mind when you consider moving somewhere you vacation.

passholderryan
02-02-2010, 08:24 AM
We live in Ft Lauderdale (about 2 1/2 hrs away with little traffic). I've had Florida Resident Passes since I was a little kid and have now carried it on with my wife. We go up about every 4-6 weeks. It never gets old for us. There are times when we go up just to hang out at the pools at our hotel, or play mini golf. I've even driven up just to walk in the International Gateway at EPCOT and listen to a couple of sets of The British Invasion. There are so many different things to do, it never gets old for us. Something I've done too many times to remeber: Pick my wife up at work, leave her car there, and say "Lets go get dinner in France".
The other thing we have is the water parks after 2pm pass. By the time we can get in, most of the "tourists" are so burnt and tired, that they are flying out of the water parks. If you like TL or BB, this is a great pass (I think for $55.00)

Hayden's Dad
02-02-2010, 08:54 AM
It hasn't gotten old for us. We live about an hour from our front door to walking into the Magic Kingdom. We go about every other weekend, and we plan to keep that up. There are still things we haven't done yet and lots of stuff we like doing over. :mickey:

Mrs Bus Driver
02-02-2010, 09:26 AM
I don't know if this helps but I grew up within walking distance of Knot's Berry Farm. When I was a kid there were no fences and no admission charge. We went often even after the fence went up and they charged admission. As for DL it was 10 minutes away by freeway, and my dad got discounts from work, still we only went 3/4 times a year. To sum it up both parks have a special place in my heart. If it were possible for me to move near DL or WDW right now I would, it would be a wonderful way to get away from the everyday problem that we all have to deal with. To answer your question being able to go often makes it both comforting familiar.
:mickey:

cmshelton1979
02-02-2010, 09:29 AM
And I always feel the need to add something when people talk about moving to Florida. Just remember that Disney sometimes gives people a warped view of Florida. The sidewalks are swept, the roads uncrowded, the transportation systems timely, someone sprays for bugs, cuts the grass, serves us our meals. There are lots of great things about Florida, but it has the same problems anywhere else in the country does. Urban sprawl, traffic, inconsiderate people, you know the list. I happen to think it's a pretty awesome place for about 8 months a year, but those are just things to keep in mind when you consider moving somewhere you vacation.

Oh we understand that...we got married in Clearwater (Sand Key Beach) and we just love being close to a beach. Here in Indiana we dont really have beaches that are not "man made". I understand every where has all the same problems (bugs, cutting grass, etc.) its just that we feel like we could put up with it better some where that it doesnt snow....I despise the snow.....and I love the beach and warmth....I would love to say that the coldest it gets is 30 degrees....but here that is our high for about 3 or 4 months........

ILoveLegos
02-02-2010, 12:37 PM
:) I'm a part-time resident of Florida for over 15 years now and I hold an annual pass. It's a hour from my front door to WDW and I pop in all the time. Lots of things make a trip interesting to me: meeting & talking to new cast members & fellow guest in WDW. Visiting with a relative who has never (or rarely been - you get lots of out of state relatives with an address like mine :mickey:)

Just poping in for dinner or and ADR that I made months in advance makes it fun too. Sometimes just sitting on the bench and watching the funny antics of guests "trying to see it all in one short visit is fun {the old, "I paid a lot for this vacation and we're going to do everything there is to do here, whether you want to or not" :( - attitude}". I enjoy little changes in the landscape flowers (sadly a lot were lost in January's frost - but new ones are growing nicely) and new "booths" that appear occasionally.

Then sometime just to challenge myself, I go do the parks "commando style" {in low-season} to see how much I can do in one day (ever see that 80's tv episode where a character did that too (I know I'm dating myself there - he-he-heh)?

Besides that - of course I am doing necessary things around the house, supporting myself financially and living in NJ during the hot summer months & other times of the year - soo Disney stays a treat and never gets boring {neither does NJ for that matter :thumbsup:}. Oh yeah I forgot to mention, there are other places to visit in Florida besides WDW - so I go there regularly too (mix it up a bit)! :secret:

florida girl
02-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Consensus is NO it doesn't get boring and I agree. We live in Orlando and Casselberry for 4 years and loved going to Disney. We had our first child there and then left FL b/c of their not so good education system and will possibly go back down once the kids are out of school. We went a lot with family that would visit and also just hop over for a dinner. We wouldn't stay in Disney resorts as often but did occasional weekend stays when prices were low. The AP is a must! Enjoy it!

Imagineer1981
02-02-2010, 01:35 PM
When my DW and I were CMs we used to go all the time. Our lives actually kinda revolved around the parks. We'd go to MK on a weekend day for fun, or maybe just go get a snack or something at Epcot and a drink, enjoy the night and relax. It became more of our place to hang out, in a relaxed environment.

tsantillo
02-02-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm so glad to hear we're not the only ones who consider WDW "our" special place. We live 2 1/2 hours from the World and I wish we were closer. We can't afford passes every year, but we go as much as we can and it never gets old. I just love it so much. It's my happy place.:mickey:

CaptSmee
02-02-2010, 08:12 PM
How could it possibly lose it's magic?!? I plan on moving nearby at some point and go to the parks every day off that I have!:D

estein80
02-05-2010, 10:49 PM
DH, DD and I live about 3 hours south of Disney. When we moved down here 4 years ago, I thought we would be going ALL the time, but until our daughter was born in 2008, we hadn't been to parks since we moved down here (prior to that it was about once a year). After DD was born we got AP's and have been back 4 times and the AP's aren't up for renewal yet. We have found that between living in driving distance and having AP's we do not feel as stressed to get everything done. We are able to take it easy and do what we feel like at the time, and when DD gets tired we can leave for bed or a nap and not feel completely cheated.

Last trip was in December and we spent time bouncing between the other resorts to see the decorations. DH and I thought it was a very relaxed trip and really enjoyed ourselves. We also got the Hidden Mickey book to give us something different to do. It was a lot of fun looking for the Mickeys (even after leaving the book in our room for half the trip). We have also found that we were able to stay at resorts that we wouldn't have been able to without being a FL resident or having an AP. The discount has allowed to stay at a variety of places and we look forward to staying at more.

Also, there are always different events going on around the World and this gives you a variety of attractions to check out when you go.

magicofdisney
02-06-2010, 03:28 AM
We're a family of 6. My husband has never had a passion for Disney. He humored me for a couple of years with a pass but now he doesn't even bother.

I go as often as possible, about once a month. My kids and I have had seasonal passes for the last 6 years. Actually, the first year it was an annual pass but we quickly realized the benefits of blackout dates and cheaper, seasonal passes.

Just this year we've decided to not renew a couple of our children's passes because it has grown old for them. The magic is still there for me and the other 2 children. This makes me very sad because as much as I love Disney, I want to enjoy it with my family. Unfortunately, our heart's desires are not the same.

So for some it becomes a relaxed, more enjoyable and peaceful Magic and for others it ceases to exist. :(