PDA

View Full Version : What is the Deal with Toy Story Mania?

mjaclyn
01-31-2010, 10:30 PM
Am I the only person who doesn't get why this ride is a 90 to 120 minute wait the majority of the time? Yes, I have experienced TSM and it was definitely fun, but I just don't understand the hype. I mean, it's basically an improved buzz lightyear ride - different cars, different shooting games, but still very similar. I've heard about crowds of people tripping over themselves at the rope drop to get to TSM and I'm trying to understand why... Is it because it's one of the newest rides in HS? Is it because it's Toy Story themed? Is it just the hype that's creating this demand? Help me understand! :mickey:

bob6572
01-31-2010, 10:35 PM
I think you nailed it when you said it's the newest think at DHS. The park needs some new attractions. We went 3 times and finally waited 40 minutes at lunchtime to say we did it this year and afterwords was like, "well that was ok, now what?"

NotaGeek
01-31-2010, 10:44 PM
This is one of the coolest rides Disney has done in a long time ... I suppose you have to like shooting games, 3D and really awesome theming to get why its such a hit -- its NOTHING like Buzz, except that you shoot things.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-31-2010, 10:53 PM
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that it is in DHS, and there is still a lack of family rides in that park, things that the whole family can do together.

BigRedDad
02-01-2010, 06:37 AM
I think there are several factors and I completely agree with you. Once you have done it once, then it is not that special. I will do it once at least once on my next trip, but it will be by FP only.

1. Only new ride at DHS
2. Very few rides at DHS
3. Neat 4D effects
4. It is something smaller kids can do instead of waiting outside RnRC and ToT for the first hour of the morning.

SBETigg
02-01-2010, 07:11 AM
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that it is in DHS, and there is still a lack of family rides in that park, things that the whole family can do together.

Exactly. Not only is it new, but I expect crowds will be up for some time (like Soarin') because it offers something for the whole family. The competition element makes it repeatable-- exciting, fun, never quite the same experience.

I do get the hype. My husband and I rode twice in a row and we were there for an adult weekend without kids. We laughed so hard. And I wouldn't FP this one. It keeps you in the park just waiting for that FP time, only to find crowds almost as big as standby. The FP lines are crazier than the standby queue in the morning. We rode with a thirty minute wait and then a twenty minute wait about a half hour after park opening on a morning EMH day.

NJDad
02-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Yup, there's only a couple rides at the Studios that our family (ages 7-adult) agree on, TSM and the Tower of Terror, and many families have a member or two that won't do the Terror one.

Patricia
02-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Nope, your not the only one that doesn't get it.

I finally rode for the first time last week. We had just got fast passes for 4:00 when someone offered us some for noon. We took those and arrived back to wait 20 minutes in the fast pass line.. it was fun (I won) but no more fun than Buzz Light Year. When 4:00 came around we made our way back (because Prince Charming felt a need to beat me) but the fast pass line was right to the entry door this time.. meaning it was a lot longer than 20 minutes. We choose to give our passes to two young girls who were deeply upset the all the fast passes were gone.

P.Charming was happy to beat me at Buzz later in the week. :blush:

Altair
02-01-2010, 09:38 AM
My solution would be to delay FastPass distribution for one or two hours. The way it is now, if you rush to there you can ride it two or three times, while others either wait a long time or don't get to ride at all.:mickey:

While this is a fun ride, it's not worth a 45 minute to an hour wait.

g8rgirl29
02-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Part of the reason is it is the newest and I think the other part is that it can be played whether you are 3 or 93. Like previous posters have said the whole family can go along. TOT you eliminate the crowd under 40" tall and those who do not like the feeling of being dropped. RnRC you eliminate those under 48" and those who don't like thrill rides.

TinkerMel
02-01-2010, 10:15 AM
I totally agree with earlier posts. At DHS, you have the thrill rides, and playhouse disney and such. One extreme to the other, not a whole lot in between. My whole family LOVES Toy Story Mania, but it's mainly because it's 1 ride we can all enjoy together at DHS.

ANG
02-01-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm a huge TS fan. So it's worth the wait to me:mickey:

Goofy4TheWorld
02-01-2010, 10:21 AM
My solution would be to delay FastPass distribution for one or two hours.

As someone who likes to sleep in, I think that is an excellent idea. I am sure it would have its cons, but I like it.

GrumpyFan
02-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Watch out, the wait is about to get even longer! When Star Tours goes down for it's upgrade this year, the wait for TSMM will probably be close to 2 hours, regardless of when you go.

diz_girl
02-01-2010, 11:52 AM

Exactly! There just aren't that many rides at DHS and this is the only one (I think) that allows small children. Every other ride has a height attraction or is a show. It's understandable that DHS is this way because it was originally designed (and poorly executed) as a working studio with some shows. But be happy that they have what they do now, as I remember when we were there a month after it opened in 1989 and there were a total of four attractions, all of which had a 90 minute (or more) wait. So I've never really liked DHS. DHS has been in existence for 20 years and the only ride for small children just showed up within the past two years.

We've skipped DHS altogether for our last trip and spent a 1/2 day there the trip before. I'll probably skip it for the next couple of trips and hope that more rides like TSM make their way into DHS. But with the major overhaul of Fantasyland happening for the next three years, I'd expect the other parks to be largely ignored by TDO except for routine maintenance.

Disneyfirsttimer
02-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Our first trip we waited on line for over 45 minutes for Peter Pan's Flight before we gave up. We finally rode it our second trip. It was cool, but not worth an hour's wait.

Disneychickie
02-01-2010, 12:43 PM
I get it.

By far one of my favorite attractions! FH had to stop me from going on it a fourth time this past september. :blush:

joonyer
02-01-2010, 01:23 PM
I think some it has to do with the fact that TSM is the first (and only) attraction that utilizes some of the more state of the art technology for indoor dark rides like Universal has had for several years with Spiderman for instance (which is I think is the top rated single attraction in Orlando).

Don't get me wrong, I love all the old classics at WDW (except for the speedway, and don't get me started on that), but I also think that WDW has waited way too long to adopt newer state of the art technologies in its attractions. TSM demonstrates that guests will flock to new attaractions offering a new and more interactive experience. I think WDW could use a lot more of this.

MOJoe
02-01-2010, 02:07 PM
There is always going to be a sprint to the E-Ticket attractions at park opening, and long lines during the day. Toy Story Mania is no different than Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, and Soarin, in that regard.

Now, is TSM as superior a ride as those? That's the question. In my mind, despite the great theme and latest technology, the answer is "No". Don't get me wrong. I love TSM, and have rushed the turnstiles to be one of the first riders of the day. But this is just not an E-Ticket attraction. But for all the reasons people have stated so far, the masses are treating it as such.

rubato
02-02-2010, 05:32 AM
I love it! I wouldn't wait more than 30 minutes for it, but we just fastpassed it all 3 times on our trip. I am VERY competitive, and it was fun to beat my family!:D

I wouldn't wait more than 30 minutes for any ride. Even Soarin which is my favorite.

Scar
02-02-2010, 09:51 AM
This reason gets my vote.
The competition element makes it repeatable-- exciting, fun, never quite the same experience.
Here's the proof.

FH had to stop me from going on it a fourth time this past september. :blush:

... but we just fastpassed it all 3 times on our trip.

Altair
02-02-2010, 10:16 AM
The competition element makes it repeatable-- exciting, fun, never quite the same experience.

If you work as a team both members scores will go up. There are things, if done together, that lead to higher point targets.:mickey:

bellefromboston
02-03-2010, 09:39 PM
My favorite ride in all of wdw! But I couldn't imagine waiting an hour for it...:mickey:

Beauty908
02-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Would you say that TSM is a must-do? Would it be fun for college aged kids? (I'm in WDW class at college and we are going down in March).

bellefromboston
02-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Would you say that TSM is a must-do? Would it be fun for college aged kids? (I'm in WDW class at college and we are going down in March).

Yes, definitely a must-do for me! It is so much fun for people of all ages! I would go right at park opening to avoid waiting in a very long line.:thumbsup:

joanna71985
02-07-2010, 10:54 PM

It's a must-do for me, and I'm 24. It is such a fun ride.

02-07-2010, 11:59 PM
It's a must-do for me, and I'm 24. It is such a fun ride.

It's a MUST-DO for me also, and I'm 64.

PirateLover
02-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I am on the opposite end. I went into it thinking it would be cool, but there would be NO WAY it could live up to the hype. Boy, was I wrong!!! I think it totally lives up to the hype. We love Buzz, but TSM is SOOOO much better. It combines interactive video games, 3D effects, friendly competition, and Toy Story! What a fantastic mix. We rode as much as we could on our last trip.