PDA

View Full Version : good bbq along i-95 ?

goofyfan4466
01-31-2010, 01:23 PM
we are traveling to the world in may. we drive the 1020 miles. we always layover in georgia @ exit 94 off i-95.my wife loves bbq. i am looking for a good bbq place very near i-95.i do not like to venture to far off of i-95.so any info. will be appreciated.we thought we might check out a bbq spot on our return trip to pa. thanks again

wdwfansince75
01-31-2010, 03:41 PM
Been several years since I've been to Fayetteville, NC, but remember that Fuller's Old Fashion was a great feed....Just off of 95, exit 49 (?)...Think they had one or two other locations..

Parker's, in Wilson (on 301, about 5 miles or so from 95) used to be an institution...real eastern NC pit bbq. Worth the detour.

Ralph's, just off of 95 near Roanoke Rapids (exit 173) was very good.

Almost every NC exit seems to have a local bbq...but those 3 are favorites from past trips. South of there, the pickings get spotty....
Believe there are several Sonny's along 95, in GA and SC...Have one near here, and while I have had better BBQ (almost any NC BBQ), it beats no BBQ at all.

#1donaldfan
01-31-2010, 08:44 PM
Theres a Sonny's at Brunswick GA just off the interstate....it's a good, good bbq....it's a dry meat that you add the sauce to....their sides are very, very good as well.....oh yeah, big portions too.....:cool:

BigThunderFan
02-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Does I-95 travel through Kansas City? If not I can't imagine there are any good bbq places near it... :thedolls:

Hope I don't start a fight here, all in good fun.

diz_girl
02-02-2010, 04:44 PM
MY BIL swears by Parker's in Wilson, NC. He stopped there on the way home a year ago on their last trip to WDW.

WRWDisney
02-08-2010, 05:47 AM
Just a note on Ralph's; they are huge, but a cash only establishment (no credit or debit cards, no checks). The one time we ate there, we were tremendously disappointed.

Smithfield's Chicken & BBQ is a regional chain, and if you like NC BBQ, it is very good. There are several locations off of 95.

BTW, if you are not familiar w/ NC BBQ, it is quite different than most other times (you are talking to a Texas native who lived in MO for 5 years and now spends a lot of time in NC). Not saying it is not good (I love all three types of BBQ, and yes they are each very different, but you should know what you are getting. NC BBQ is pulled pork. It is prepared with a vinegar BBQ sauce. This is more the consistency of vinegar, not ketchup. BBQ is generally served w/slaw (on the sandwich if that is how you get it).

Enjoy!