PDA

View Full Version : Is the American Idol Experience "fixed"?

Mousefever
01-31-2010, 09:13 AM
We went to the American Idol Experience for the first time yesterday. By the end, I couldn't help but think that the whole process is fixed before the three contestants take the stage.

During the second contestant's song, which was "This is Me" from Camp Rock, I noticed that I could barely hear the girl's voice over the back up vocals. What I could hear was good, but when her voice faded out, the back up vocals made it sound as if she was singing strongly. It was very strange. The other two contestants were on their own, in that they had to carry the melody on the merits of their voice.

I also noticed that the second contestant was the only one who had a video montage of herself before she sang.

The second contestant was the winner. (Surprise) I ended up feeling really annoyed that I hadn't really had the chance to hear her sing, because I think she had a decent voice and might have won without the "help".

Has anyone else ever noticed this on the American Idol Experience?

Amy

MNNHFLTX
01-31-2010, 11:11 AM
I've wondered this myself and so have some friends of mine. I don't think the video necessarily has anything to do with it though, as the girl who was featured in the video in the last show I saw was not selected to go on to the final. I think they just choose one contestant to make a video on. I guess the reason I've thought it might be "fixed" is that there always seems to be that one contestant who is a little too polished in an "aw shucks" kind of way (if that makes sense). Oh well, it's a fun show regardless. :)

thesplashmountaineer
01-31-2010, 11:17 AM
eveytime I went to the American Idol experience, the second contestant was always the only one who got a video montage (but not always the winner), I think it's part of the concept.
If I remember correctly, one of the contestants has an on-stage interview and the other one a pep-talk from a former American Idol winner.

gerald72
01-31-2010, 11:32 AM
What would be the point of fixing it?
How would this benefit Disney?

Altair
01-31-2010, 11:59 AM
What would be the point of fixing it?
How would this benefit Disney?

It would assure the quality of the shows would not drop below a certain level. If the shows become a joke the attraction would be doomed.

bicker
01-31-2010, 03:46 PM
I think the risk of bad PR from fixing the competition is so incredibly high -- utterly mind-blowingly high -- that there is no chance whatsoever that it is fixed.

Mousefever
02-02-2010, 10:40 AM
I just couldn't believe how much vocal support the second contestant had. It reminded me of when Ashley Simpson was singing along with her own voice during Saturday Night Live. It was bizarre.

Amy

MOJoe
02-02-2010, 11:11 AM
I don't think the Disney version is "fixed"..................
But that bombastic, self-indulged program on Fox certainly is. :drama:

PlutoPlanet
02-02-2010, 11:49 AM
I agree with bicker.

... and I agree with your tag line not to take it personally.

Patricia
02-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Well I had the privilege of being with someone who auditioned. (Prince Charming had too low of a voice to go on.. but they did enjoy him enough to give him a second song.)

We were told by the lady helping us prepare that a 60 year old man has been a winner in the past. Although he couldn't use his Dream Ticket, he was still able to accept the prize.

While we were in line, there was no shortage of people auditioning, a girl ahead of us came outside to have the video of herself made. The director spent time coaching her on what to do and she didn't appear to have advanced knowledge. We went to watch the next show to see how she did and she was the winner, but of the 3 she was the better singer, I voted for her. She and another girl had family in the audience. The 3rd singer seemed a little more rehearsed (as though she may have performed before) and claimed to be traveling alone. The one judge was mean to her. But even seeing that, I'm not sure they'd have a back up plan if there is not enough talent, she may have just had stage experience. I'd think with enough repeat visitors people would catch on to seeing the same singers more than once.

They definitely lay it all out for you when your auditioning and tell you what the prizes are and how you'll spend the rest of your day if you move on. There is hair, makeup, rehearsing and a final show if you move on. You have to agree to all that before auditioning.

As a side note: I was pretty sure I recognized the female judge as an actress from The Adventurers Club. Kongaloosh!

NJDad
02-03-2010, 06:19 AM
That's funny, we thought they arranged it so the last contestant won, because that happened both times.

The video piece for the second contestant didn't help either one win. The fans cheering outside bit didn't play back right the second time, and the humor the singer showed in reaction might have helped her cause.

Melanie
02-03-2010, 06:41 AM
I think the risk of bad PR from fixing the competition is so incredibly high -- utterly mind-blowingly high -- that there is no chance whatsoever that it is fixed.

I would have to logically agree, but for some reason I just can shake the feeling it's fixed.

SBETigg
02-03-2010, 07:16 AM
I couldn't imagine it would be fixed, but I could imagine that a lot of locals interested in being "discovered" or just showing off, or winning something, with time on their hands might show up again and again, maybe with friends in support, maybe even becoming known to cast members.

When they were running Millionaire, I never heard anyone suggest it was fixed (my husband was a contestant, and he didn't get any help or breaks) but there were people who showed up who told us they came to the park to try to get in the hot seat (they were local). They were spending all day at that one attraction, and this was something they indicated they did frequently (and they knew others who did as well). So, I assume that the same thing happens with the AI experience. It's weird to me. I can't imagine going and hanging out all day at one attraction. But apparently, there are people out there who will.

bicker
02-03-2010, 07:46 AM
I think it can readily be more fun, or otherwise more satisfying, to think that it is fixed, especially if one's preferred contestant doesn't win.

Altair
02-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Do they allow video taping of the shows and if not are they very strict enforcing the ban? The reason is, there are very few performances available on You Tube. You would think many would tape their performance and post it. The few that are on You Tube appear to be well polished acts, not what you would expect from a tourist off the street.
There is also a video by Disney on You Tube, taking you through the audition process. You can just sing any song, there is a list of 200 songs to pick from.
My guess is that there are "ringers".

Melanie
02-03-2010, 08:18 AM
I think it can readily be more fun, or otherwise more satisfying, to think that it is fixed, especially if one's preferred contestant doesn't win.

:confused:

I can assure you that's not behind my feelings on it, because I really just don't care that much.

I've enjoyed the attraction both times I went, but something just seems...off. :shrug:

tink'72
02-03-2010, 11:00 AM
I've enjoyed the attraction both times I went, but something just seems...off. :shrug:[/QUOTE]

I happen to agree something does seem off on this show. I've seen it twice and felt it both times.

GrumpyFan
02-03-2010, 11:51 AM
A couple of things may be happening here.

1) If it's a slow day, and they don't have enough people in the park to audtion and fill all the shows, Disney may actually put in a castmember or two in the show, just so it will have a good entertainment value. I know they did this when they were in the initial tests for this show, but I haven't heard if they still do this. If they do, I don't think they do this it "fix" the show, so much as it's just to fill it with decent singers. Sure, the audience may vote them the winner, but that's just the way the voting goes. It's possible that you saw a castmember who was posing as a performer that has some (backing) vocal tracks added. I think Disney restricts them from being able to win a front of line ticket.

2) The shows probably follow a standard template as to how they're put together and in what order things are shown. In other words, they follow a set format of video interview/clips, on-stage interview, etc. The "producer" may have some flexibility in how they run it, but probably not a lot. So, throughout the day, they're piecing all the clips together, and lining up people for each show. Consider that they have 7 shows throughout the day they have to put together in very a limited amount of time. They don't have the luxury of being able to do a lot of takes or special videos.

Scott C
02-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Do they allow video taping of the shows and if not are they very strict enforcing the ban? The reason is, there are very few performances available on You Tube. You would think many would tape their performance and post it. The few that are on You Tube appear to be well polished acts, not what you would expect from a tourist off the street.
There is also a video by Disney on You Tube, taking you through the audition process. You can just sing any song, there is a list of 200 songs to pick from.
My guess is that there are "ringers".

Nope -- no video taping or photography once the show starts. It seems that they were fairly strict on the other rules -- so I assume that they would be on that also. I did snap a few shots soon after entering of the stage and such. BTW I was in your neck of the woods last Sunday at St Louis Mills Mall.

Mousefever
02-03-2010, 03:17 PM

I think, given your name here, that you are trying to provoke a reaction. So here's my reaction. All I've said is that the second contestant was the only one with strong background vocal support of the melody, to the point that I sometimes couldn't hear the actual contestant's voice. Neither of the other two contestants received background help on the melody. Those are objective facts. I'm asking for people's experience with the game and their subjective opinions as to why this might have been so.

Amy

badkitty
02-04-2010, 03:19 AM
I have seen the show only once and two of the contestants were children (under 16). The "adult" (I think she was 20-something) was okay (she said she was a theater major) and won.

I tried to take my sister to the show on our last trip but the show we wanted to go to was cancelled due to "production difficulties" according to the cast member out front of the attraction. My sister teased the CM that it was because they didn't have enough auditioners to make a show (it had rained all morning and the park was fairly empty). The CM laughed and asked if we wanted to audition.

I would be interested in seeing the final show some time.

Patricia
02-04-2010, 10:48 AM
After standing in line with all those people, I have to tell you.. I didn't talk to one that hadn't been a singer in come capacity, either in a band or in musical theatre. Every one I spoke to had prior singing experience. So, the fact that they might be good and able to perform didn't surprise me. I can imagine if you lived near by and wanted that ticket, you'd keep trying.

It would be cool to hear from someone that actually won.

Joannelet
02-04-2010, 01:24 PM
My father too thought the show was fixed that the video of the person and people chanting their name etc was just a way to have voting more in their favor....he didn't like it very much nor does he watch the show on TV. That person during our show ended up winning that time.

While I can see some favoritism in certain aspects of it I think for the most part its okay. Definitely has some entertainment value which is what they are looking for. The young girl that sang when I was there and had the most chance of actually making it through auditions on the real AI seemed like she was just there for this attraction. She had no family with her, was dressed the part etc.

I wish that this attraction would just allow people to perform that actually was within the age range to actually be on AI. I know that they can't do this because of park attendance and whatever...but still. When someone older makes it, I just feel like its a waste of time to the ones that really have the opportunity to actually try out for the real deal.

MNNHFLTX
02-04-2010, 05:20 PM
I wish that this attraction would just allow people to perform that actually was within the age range to actually be on AI. I know that they can't do this because of park attendance and whatever...but still. When someone older makes it, I just feel like its a waste of time to the ones that really have the opportunity to actually try out for the real deal.I see this in a completely different way. I like the idea that anyone can audition. Getting a chance to pretend to be on American Idol and/or perform in front of a large number of people is probably a dream for a lot of people, no matter what their age (although the idea would terrify me). And they're not competing for a shot at a singing career, just a Dream Ticket and the satisfaction of saying they were in the show.

If someone wants to get on the real American Idol, all they have to do is go to the auditions, like everyone else. Like the one they had last summer in Orlando, as a matter of fact. :)

GrumpyFan
02-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Getting a chance to pretend to be on American Idol and/or perform in front of a large number of people is probably a dream for a lot of people, no matter what their age (although the idea would terrify me).

Not to mention that it will make for some great vacation memories for years to come.
I agree with you though, it would terrify me to death.

hubbyofadisneyholic
02-04-2010, 06:44 PM

Right...just like there was no way those game shows back in the 1950s could possibly have been fixed. But they were.

bicker
02-04-2010, 08:46 PM
And because of that, that sort of thing doesn't happen anymore. Too many people are watching now. Though, again, I do acknowledge that it more fun to accuse producers of doing bad things.

SBETigg
02-04-2010, 08:59 PM
The benefit of fixing it would have to outweigh the risk, and what is the benefit to WDW? There's more benefit to them in letting random guests win a shot at this.

In the case of the fixed 50s game shows, the benefit was ratings- getting that same TV audience to keep tuning in. This is a constantly changing audience. People aren't showing up to see any particular performer, or even to see a great performance. It's about the experience. To fix it would be to take that experience away from actual guests, and there's no benefit to WDW of doing that. There's far more risk in being charged with rigging it. It's not that I'm naive to think it can't happen. It's that I can't even imagine why they would.

badkitty
02-04-2010, 09:14 PM
I wish that this attraction would just allow people to perform that actually was within the age range to actually be on AI. I know that they can't do this because of park attendance and whatever...but still. When someone older makes it, I just feel like its a waste of time to the ones that really have the opportunity to actually try out for the real deal.

I don't watch the AI TV show, so just curious what the age range is.

MNNHFLTX
02-04-2010, 09:58 PM
I don't watch the AI TV show, so just curious what the age range is.The current age range for the real American Idol is 16-28.

Joannelet
02-04-2010, 10:10 PM
I see this in a completely different way. I like the idea that anyone can audition. Getting a chance to pretend to be on American Idol and/or perform in front of a large number of people is probably a dream for a lot of people, no matter what their age (although the idea would terrify me). And they're not competing for a shot at a singing career, just a Dream Ticket and the satisfaction of saying they were in the show.

If someone wants to get on the real American Idol, all they have to do is go to the auditions, like everyone else. Like the one they had last summer in Orlando, as a matter of fact. :)

well apparantly they even let out of the age range people audition on the real show...hence mr pants on the ground. LOL
I'm just saying that the goal is to get a dream ticket to american idol (the tv show) they should at least qualify....but then again they don't even do this for the real show....so it doesn't really matter.....its all for an entertainment value.

Altair
02-04-2010, 10:47 PM
well apparantly they even let out of the age range people audition on the real show...hence mr pants on the ground. LOL

Now there is talk that this was a set up for the publicity.:(

GrumpyFan
02-04-2010, 11:57 PM
I'm just saying that the goal is to get a dream ticket to american idol (the tv show) they should at least qualify....but then again they don't even do this for the real show....so it doesn't really matter.....its all for an entertainment value.

This isn't the first time they've allowed someone outside the age range to audition. Technically, anyone can audition, they just can't be a contestant unless they're between the ages of 16 and 28. But yes, you're right, it's all for entertainment value. If the producer(s) think a contestant is entertaining (good or bad) then they will put them on TV regardless of their age.

Ian
02-05-2010, 06:46 AM
We went to the American Idol Experience for the first time yesterday. By the end, I couldn't help but think that the whole process is fixed before the three contestants take the stage.

During the second contestant's song, which was "This is Me" from Camp Rock, I noticed that I could barely hear the girl's voice over the back up vocals. What I could hear was good, but when her voice faded out, the back up vocals made it sound as if she was singing strongly. It was very strange. The other two contestants were on their own, in that they had to carry the melody on the merits of their voice.

I also noticed that the second contestant was the only one who had a video montage of herself before she sang.

The second contestant was the winner. (Surprise) I ended up feeling really annoyed that I hadn't really had the chance to hear her sing, because I think she had a decent voice and might have won without the "help".

Has anyone else ever noticed this on the American Idol Experience?

AmyAmy, when did you go??? I'm pretty sure we were at that same show!

Was the first girl Argentinian and sang Feel Like a Woman and the third girl was from PA and sang Best of Both Worlds?

CaptainSad
02-05-2010, 09:04 AM
I have never been or seen it at DHS and have desire to do so. What is Disney going to do when Simon Cowell leaves AI after this season? Do you think the show will last without him. I really doubt it. I think Disney jumped on the band wagon a little late. If Idol tanks after he leaves. I think Disney will have another building to fill.

GrumpyFan
02-05-2010, 11:46 AM
I have never been or seen it at DHS and have desire to do so. What is Disney going to do when Simon Cowell leaves AI after this season? Do you think the show will last without him. I really doubt it. I think Disney jumped on the band wagon a little late. If Idol tanks after he leaves. I think Disney will have another building to fill.

I'm not sure what kind of contract Disney signed with 19, but they could easily re-theme/brand the building and call it Disney Idol. Or, they may be able to keep the name and continue running the show as-is for a period of time, even if the TV version goes off the air. However, I don't necessarily think that just because Simon leaves, the show will tank. There are still thousands of people who think they can sing and are eager to try and get their chance to do it and win a record contract. And, the public likes watching them try, regardless of the judges. Sure, the judges help make it interesting and entertaining, but people tune in from week to week to watch people either make fools of themselves or win the big prize.

Mousefever
02-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Amy, when did you go??? I'm pretty sure we were at that same show!

Was the first girl Argentinian and sang Feel Like a Woman and the third girl was from PA and sang Best of Both Worlds?

Yes! That's so funny Ian! I thought the second girl was probably the best of the three, but I was so surprised at how much vocal support she got. To the point where I couldn't hear her over the background singing. What did you think?

Amy

MNNHFLTX
02-05-2010, 01:33 PM

The show (at Disney Hollywood Studios) is actually pretty fun to watch; the hosts are a big part of that. You might want to check it out sometime. :)

You're right that Disney jumped on the bandwagon a little late. But then again, most of the shows that I remember them developing in that building only lasted a couple of years at most.

Ian
02-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Yes! That's so funny Ian! I thought the second girl was probably the best of the three, but I was so surprised at how much vocal support she got. To the point where I couldn't hear her over the background singing. What did you think?

AmyI said the exact same thing when we left. It was really striking how loud the backing track and vocals were for her as compared to the other two.

The thing is, I voted for her, and I thought she had the best voice overall (which, let's face it, isn't saying much because the other two were pretty bad), but she really lacked power.

I think it was definitely intentional that her track was up so high, so it could cover her lack of oomph.

KylesMom
02-05-2010, 02:02 PM
The benefit of fixing it would have to outweigh the risk, and what is the benefit to WDW? There's more benefit to them in letting random guests win a shot at this.

In the case of the fixed 50s game shows, the benefit was ratings- getting that same TV audience to keep tuning in. This is a constantly changing audience. People aren't showing up to see any particular performer, or even to see a great performance. It's about the experience. To fix it would be to take that experience away from actual guests, and there's no benefit to WDW of doing that. There's far more risk in being charged with rigging it. It's not that I'm naive to think it can't happen. It's that I can't even imagine why they would.
I don't know if this is really comparing apples to apples, but when I made it to the floor of Who Wants to be a Millionaire a few years back, after I was done competing I had to go in the back & sign a ton of legal papers which I was told would be on file with both the Disney Company and the Florida Gaming Board. No, I didn't win a cruise . . . I won a baseball hat & some pins.

Because there is a "prize" to win at Idol - or at the very least, it's a contest - I'll bet the participants (and Disney) have to go through the same type of legal stuff I had to do when I played "Millionaire". Rigging the contest would have dire consequences for Disney, and I just can't see them playing in such murky water.

Ian
02-05-2010, 03:03 PM
We may be getting semantical here. I don't think Amy meant "rigged' in the sense of the outcome being pre-determined.

I think Amy more meant that the show producers would use certain means at their disposal to influence the outcome. That's extraordinarily hard to prove, could be covered in some legalese in the contracts the performers sign, and relatively commonplace (heck, it happens on the real show all the time).

Thing is I've only seen the Disney AI show once so I really can't say if things like this happen frequently or if it was just a one time, accidental thing. I can tell you that, having seen the same show, it was very obvious.

bicker
02-05-2010, 04:19 PM
We may be getting semantical here. I don't think Amy meant "rigged' in the sense of the outcome being pre-determined. I think Amy more meant that the show producers would use certain means at their disposal to influence the outcome.Uh, I think you're actually playing semantics there... drawing the distinction between absolute predetermination of the winners vs. influencing the "outcome" (by which I assume you meant who would win). I don't think most folks who were pointing out that Disney is almost surely not rigging the contest would care about the distinction.

The distinction that I believe we should be making is between affecting the outcome of the voting, and affecting the quality of the entertainment. The show producers definitely have a responsibility to the show, and should absolutely take steps to ensure that the audience has an enjoyable time. Indeed, we can see them doing this by auditioning contestants before they ever get on stage. Contestants have to be, first, at least "good enough," and beyond that, better than others, when there are enough folks who are "good enough". The show producers also probably think about who should compete against whom, when timing and talent gives them the opportunity to do that. These things all have positive impact on the quality of the entertainment value of the show delivered to guests.

What we are objecting to is that accusation that the show producers go beyond that and try to make it so that the audience votes one way or another. That's a strong-enough accusation of wrong-doing that it has to be supported by more than just supposition and impression, to avoid being discredited. If it was just a matter of someone's personal opinion of something being good or bad, that would be another matter, but the insinuation was with regard to someone doing something wrong -- saying that it is a fair competition and them making it unfair. Again, saying stuff like that in public goes over a line, where more than just feelings are essential.

Ian
02-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Absolutely I agree ... that's why I went to great lengths to point out that I've only ever seen the show once and that it was impossible for me to determine whether this was a one time fluke or if it happens frequently.

I will say, though, that I'm not sure the "allegation" is all that serious. I mean it's just a theme park attraction. It's not life or death.

MOJoe
02-05-2010, 05:03 PM
We may be getting semantical here. I don't think Amy meant "rigged' in the sense of the outcome being pre-determined.

I think Amy more meant that the show producers would use certain means at their disposal to influence the outcome.

Thing is I've only seen the Disney AI show once so I really can't say if things like this happen frequently or if it was just a one time, accidental thing. I can tell you that, having seen the same show, it was very obvious.

Let's talk about real world examples. Say you have 100 people audition for the show. 16 are chosen to perform. Of those 16, 5 are really outstanding singers/performers. For the sake of the show, the producers will not have the 5 compete against each other, but instead compete against the 2nd tier singers. Is this fair? And will the performance seem "rigged"? In absolute fairness, shouldn't the talent level be equal?

The show itself is more important than any one performance or singer. So while the argument of impropriety can be made, (by having certain singers compete against certain others, the voting will be influenced) this is in the realm of what i believe is meant by the producers using certain means to provide the most entertainment.

Rigged? Not really. Influnced so that you will most likely vote a certain way. Highly likely.

Mousefever
02-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Uh, I think you're actually playing semantics there... drawing the distinction between absolute predetermination of the winners vs. influencing the "outcome" (by which I assume you meant who would win). I don't think most folks who were pointing out that Disney is almost surely not rigging the contest would care about the distinction.

The distinction that I believe we should be making is between affecting the outcome of the voting, and affecting the quality of the entertainment. The show producers definitely have a responsibility to the show, and should absolutely take steps to ensure that the audience has an enjoyable time. Indeed, we can see them doing this by auditioning contestants before they ever get on stage. Contestants have to be, first, at least "good enough," and beyond that, better than others, when there are enough folks who are "good enough". The show producers also probably think about who should compete against whom, when timing and talent gives them the opportunity to do that. These things all have positive impact on the quality of the entertainment value of the show delivered to guests.

What we are objecting to is that accusation that the show producers go beyond that and try to make it so that the audience votes one way or another. That's a strong-enough accusation of wrong-doing that it has to be supported by more than just supposition and impression, to avoid being discredited. If it was just a matter of someone's personal opinion of something being good or bad, that would be another matter, but the insinuation was with regard to someone doing something wrong -- saying that it is a fair competition and them making it unfair. Again, saying stuff like that in public goes over a line, where more than just feelings are essential.

I'm having a case of the giggles here because my question has taken on such serious tone.

Ian, I thank you for letting me know that I wasn't imagining things. I was truly annoyed at the end of the AI Experience, because I couldn't figure out why the second contestant had so much vocal support and the two others had zero vocal support. I came away with the feeling that it wasn't a level playing field.

That being said, I'm certainly not ready to initiate legal action! Lol If my initial post was provocative, it was only to generate supposition as to why this seeming anomaly occurred.

And while we are bickering, Bicker, and since you seem to think that there was no overt or covert influencing taking place, please let me know your theory as to why one contestant would receive back-up vocal support while the other contestants did not. That's what I really want to know. Why would this legitimately take place?

Amy

Ian
02-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Let's talk about real world examples. Say you have 100 people audition for the show. 16 are chosen to perform. Of those 16, 5 are really outstanding singers/performers. For the sake of the show, the producers will not have the 5 compete against each other, but instead compete against the 2nd tier singers. Is this fair? And will the performance seem "rigged"? In absolute fairness, shouldn't the talent level be equal?

The show itself is more important than any one performance or singer. So while the argument of impropriety can be made, (by having certain singers compete against certain others, the voting will be influenced) this is in the realm of what i believe is meant by the producers using certain means to provide the most entertainment.

Rigged? Not really. Influnced so that you will most likely vote a certain way. Highly likely.This is precisely the way I feel about it, too.

Patricia
02-05-2010, 06:15 PM
I say we all go back and watch another show!!

:sing:

Mousefever
02-05-2010, 06:23 PM
I say we all go back and watch another show!!

:sing:

Yes! Intercot descends on the American Idol Experience!

Amy

bicker
02-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Any: Given what I wrote earlier, it would be ridiculous to actually engage in the same kind of baseless speculation that I criticized before.

Mousefever
02-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Yes, intellectual curiosity is taxing. It's not for people who refuse to think outside the box, or the official rules. I was just honestly curious about the way the contest went that day and was hoping that someone might have ideas as to why it did. I'm done asking, but feel free to have the last word.

Amy (or Any, if that's what you prefer)

NJDad
02-06-2010, 07:07 AM
It's possible that one singer's backup singers were louder for a couple of non-conspiratorial reasons:

1) Just the nature of the recorded backing track-some songs need backing vocals to sound like their hit versions

2) Bad mix job by the audio guy

Considering the glitch we saw in the 'fans outside cheering for contestant 3' bit, technical difficulties do occur.

bicker
02-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Yes, intellectual curiosity is taxing. It's not for people who refuse to think outside the box, or the official rules.That's not the issue. The only answers that came to mind were ones that I would consider irresponsible to post. Living in accordance with ethical standards is not "refusing to think outside the box". I think your implication in that regard is unnecessarily inflammatory.

Amy (or Any, if that's what you prefer)Sorry about the typo.

Joannelet
02-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Is a moderator going to step in here because someone is completely off base by this post!!!!!!!!!

Darbylew
02-06-2010, 09:59 AM
We have been to the show twice and we did
enjoy it. I don't think it is a fixed show at least
I hope not. Both times we were there the one I
voted on won. But who knows. Anyway I will go
back to see it when I am there. :mickey:
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
MAY!!!!!! :D

Mousefever
02-06-2010, 04:34 PM
It's possible that one singer's backup singers were louder for a couple of non-conspiratorial reasons:

1) Just the nature of the recorded backing track-some songs need backing vocals to sound like their hit versions

2) Bad mix job by the audio guy

Considering the glitch we saw in the 'fans outside cheering for contestant 3' bit, technical difficulties do occur.

I was also wondering if maybe the contestants have a choice to have the back up or not, or at least a choice about the volume of the back up vocals. Your idea about the nature of the song coming into play also sounds plausible. But if the audio guy created such a huge disparity, I doubt he'll have a job for much longer!

Thanks for the ideas.

I'm not usually any kind of conspiracy nut. (Although I do speculate that there could have been a second shooter on the grassy knoll!)

Amy

MNNHFLTX
02-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Moderator Warning--

The debate on this was getting a little too heated yesterday. Let's keep the discussion friendly, please.

Joannelet
02-07-2010, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=NJDad;2013261]It's possible that one singer's backup singers were louder for a couple of non-conspiratorial reasons:

QUOTE]

This is a very interesting theory. I have a karoake machine and there are some songs that have backing vocals that are sometimes just as loud as the main vocal should be. I too noticed this when I was at the show and was thinking that they were using karoake style music because in some songs the background vocals were very noticeable and in others it wasn't-just like my machine.
So I totally think it depends on the song that is chosen. But I believe Disney is using (or it seems to be) the same cd's of music as used on a karoake machine.
(plus they have the words for them at the back of the audience just like a karoake machine would do).

tinkerbelle75
02-08-2010, 08:03 AM
We saw the show when we were there a couple of weeks ago. I too thought it was a little strange that there was a very polished performer, one who was just ok, and one who shouldn't have ever made it past the street auditions. It seemed very clear that the girl who won was supposed to win because she was the ONLY choice to win. There HAD to be better auditions than the last girl that performed, and I think they just put them in later shows. I think maybe they do this to have a finale every day that has 3 better-than -average people. The girl who won the show we saw was almost certainly a "pageant girl" and was comfortable, but stiff and trained. The other two had a great time but, as Simon would say, it was "bad karaoke." I don't think it's rigged, but I do think it's heavily influenced.Will I go back? Yep.

lettripp
02-26-2010, 07:50 PM
I have to say that I'm a little bothered by this thread, but probably because it is making me think.

I was lucky enough to be selected to perform in the attraction, and even luckier to have WON the daytime performance. I made it to the night show with 9 fantastic performers (did not win, but enjoyed the experience!!), but something about the final group led me to believe it was not fixed: I was one of 2 girls in the group. I feel like, if Disney were really trying to "fix" the competition, they would have tried to influence the vote so the evening show was slightly more diverse.

I will say that in both cases, every contestant was treated exactly the same ... with the exception of the two during the night performance who had to be coached on how to follow the camera as it went around them on stage. Coincidentally (or maybe not), one of these two contestants won the golden ticket.

I have no hard feelings, fixed or not. It truly was one of the most amazing days of my life!!!

websitekid
02-26-2010, 08:19 PM
So I'm going to WDW over spring break for an honors communications class; we're studying Disney communication styles and practices. Anyway.. long story short... my teacher is a big proponent of Disney songs and offered to shorten our final project paper by 3 pages if we make it on stage for the finals (awesome, I know right..). Any suggestions to help me with this endeavor?

lettripp
02-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Be yourself, pick a song you know and love, and HAVE FUN! Honestly, if you stress about it, it won't go well. You'll have the words there to read as you sing and they help beforehand with the arrangement. Oh, and MOST IMPORTANTLY: Show up to audition as early as possible!!!! The earlier you are there, the more likely you are to get through. Honestly, I had no prep, had no idea I'd be doing it and didn't know what I was getting myself into and it was fine. Just enjoy the experience and enjoy your time at WDW!

Patricia
02-28-2010, 12:59 PM
If you can already sing well, then your halfway there.

Be sure to preform your best during the initial audition, if your too nervous and quiet, you won't make it past that room.

EpcotChic23
03-02-2010, 09:58 AM
So I just met with my family that live in Fl this weekend when I was down there for work. They have a relative who's job is to train CM's in Hollywood studios. So I asked them this question.....and no it is not fixed. The problem they are having is they can't get singers. So a lot of the singers are not good because they will take what they can get. So if you can sing and you are down there try out you will prob. get on stage.

bicker
03-03-2010, 04:52 PM
During our first visit, there clearly were many great singers auditioning, and some clearly were visiting WDW at that time specifically to compete for the golden ticket. However, that was shortly before the REAL auditions. Given that anyone winning the golden ticket today won't be able to use it for at least another few months, if not longer, it makes sense that there isn't as much interest.

websitekid
03-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I'll definitely get there plenty early and have a little fun. I'm trying to get my professor to come do it with us. And since I know he checks these posts: Come on Dave; "A Whole New World" it'll be a blast!

poeticeclipse
03-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Hey guys.. I haven't been on in quite a while. Figured I'd pop in and check things out and I just happened to come across this thread. I can definitely shine some light on this topic.

Back in September/October when I was vacationing with my mom I auditioned for AIE. Made it through and won my first show and moved onto the finale.

I don't believe the show has a pre-determined winner. I do however believe that some contestants are given a few "extras" in order to make them stand out.

Just to settle the debate about who gets the video montage, the American Idol contestant "confidence booster," and the cheering fans. It's set up as the American Idol winner video wishes luck to whoever is the first singer, the video montage is done for the second singer, and the cheering fans are done for the third person. As far as how they choose i'm not 100% sure but I have some thoughts.

The video montage is typically done (from my gathering) on someone that has a lot of family there to support them. They want family to be in the video hugging and rooting for the contestant. It'd be a boring video if it was just the contestant plus one person.

As far as how the other two are chosen i'm not really sure. I was chosen to get the cheering fans, as I went third.

I think they try and make sure the show ends with an upbeat number. I sang "Hot Stuff" by Donna Summer. The other two contestants sang a little bit slower songs.

There was some debate as far as why some backing vocals were louder than others. This i'm not sure of. I know some songs actually HAVE more backing vocals. Just because... that's the way the song is. Some of you were talking about a contestant singing "This Is Me" by Demi Levato. That song has very short verses and is mostly the chorus and hook. Backing vocals typically come in during the chorus and hook of a song.

Every contestant gets to practice their song once before the show starts. That way they can get all of the mics set at the right volume level and get out lighting kinks. There is a chance the sound tech didn't do their job right and someones mic ended up being louder or quieter than it should have been.

If anyone is interested in reading my very thorough and lengthy trip report (including my AIE day) send me a private message and i'd be happy to share the link with you.

SBETigg
03-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Stacey, so glad you popped in. Thanks for the insight. Very interesting process.

Mousefever
03-12-2010, 12:37 AM
That answers a bunch of questions, Stacey! Thanks for letting us know. It might be that the sound person was a little off that day. Or maybe the contestant sang louder during sound check, but got nervous for the actual show. Congratulations for making it to the finals!

Amy

poeticeclipse
03-12-2010, 09:22 AM
It might be that the sound person was a little off that day. Or maybe the contestant sang louder during sound check, but got nervous for the actual show. Congratulations for making it to the finals!

Thank you! It was fun!

I never thought of that so you made a good point! When you get nervous your vocal chords tense up and you obviously can't project a good amount of volume. Obviously during rehearsal you don't have a full audience but during the actual show it's much different and much more intimidating for some people.

Disneypixie513
03-12-2010, 10:55 PM
I haven't seen the show yet, but I will in May.
I'd love to audition because I absolutely love doing karoake, but I'm definately not a good singer. I don't think I'm as bad as some people who actually audition for AI, but no where near half way decent.
That being said, how good of a singer do you need to be?

poeticeclipse
03-13-2010, 09:18 AM
That being said, how good of a singer do you need to be?

I heard some singers that were very good. And some just okay. And some, in my opinion, sub par.

You need to be able to sing the notes decently (AKA not be tone deaf). Although, I think they'll let people slide on improper technique and iffy tone. If you can SELL the song that will help you a lot even if you're not the greatest singer. Being a performer is more important than being a perfect singer.

A big tip I can give to people is to audition on an "off" day for locals. Try to audition on a weekday instead of a weekend when the locals will flood the park. There are locals that will audition multiple times to try and get a spot on the show in hopes of getting that golden fastpass to the front of the line at an actually AI audition.

Mousefever
03-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Yes, intellectual curiosity is taxing. It's not for people who refuse to think outside the box, or the official rules. I was just honestly curious about the way the contest went that day and was hoping that someone might have ideas as to why it did. I'm done asking, but feel free to have the last word.

Amy (or Any, if that's what you prefer)

I was thinking about jerky behavior last night (when I saw that one of my trip report threads was rated with one star), and I came to the conclusion that I need to clean my own house before I start grousing about other peoples' behavior.

Bicker, I'm really sorry that I posted this. It doesn't matter if I felt provoked at the time. My response was inappropriate. It was wrong to imply that you aren't intellectually curious because you were disagreeing with me. It was a jerky thing to say and I apologize.

Amy

Patricia
03-19-2010, 12:22 PM
((((Group Hug))))