PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a place for "date night"

mouseketeer mom
01-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Hi everyone! For our April trip, DH and I have decided to branch out on our own one evening. Here's what we're thinking, please advise!
Signature dining for sure.
Should we choose....
1)California Grill-have eaten here once before with kids and loved, loved, loved it. We still talk about it, and look forward to a return.
2)Yachtsman- Saw it on Samantha Brown and thought it looked fantastic. We both love steak.
3)Artist Point-A unique experience we always thought we'd like to try.
Its just between those three. We've eaten at other signatures in WDW, but these are the three that we are torn between.

SBETigg
01-31-2010, 12:16 AM
California Grill is my go-to for special Disney meals. The atmosphere blows me away. I've never had a bad meal. It's my reliable favorite. But I haven't tried Yachtsman or Artist Point. I would want to try something new, but be torn to stick with what I know and love. Good luck deciding. You'll have a great time no matter what.

megustamex
01-31-2010, 12:27 AM
Artist Point is beautiful. There is a very nice view from the huge windows. The service was impeccable. Great steak.

WRWDisney
01-31-2010, 08:58 AM
I'd suggest Artist Point. It is my DW's and my go to "date night" choice. While I love California Grill (we go at least once every trip), it is a little loud.

We find Artist Point to have an impeccable wait staff, exceptionally creative chef, and romantic atmosphere. Also, Wilderness lodge is lovely to explore after dinner (I recommend slipping out of the main lodge and down to the Villas; there is a great lobby/lounge space down there with a fireplace that is a nice quiet spot to just sit for a little while).

If you enjoy steak, give the buffalo a try; it is amazing. Also, I personally love the muscles as an appetizer (if you are a duck lover-to eat that is:mickey: they have a fantastic appetizer as well).

We have never tried the Yachtsman, so I cannot comment on that, but I am guessing you cannot go wrong, no matter what you choose:thumbsup:

TysMomTink
01-31-2010, 09:30 AM
To be fair, I haven't tried Artist Point but I can say that to me the Yachtsman wasn't very romantic-- it was too bright. We were seated at 6 p.m. and it felt as bright inside as a doctor's office.. not romantic. Just my opinion. I did enjoy my meal there and the location to slip into World Showcase for a stroll after dinner is a great option.

goofyfan4466
01-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Artist Point was awesome.the wife & i had bison for the first time.It was so tender and good.the chef even came out to visit us.he was making sure everything was perfect.it was. we highly recommend Artist Point. enjoy wherever you choose.

WelshieLover
02-03-2010, 04:55 PM
I agree the Yachtsman is not very romantic have eaten there 3 times food is good atmosphere not so much. The Artists Point is much more so. The WL in general has a romantic feel.

Tinkermom
02-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Calf Grill is our favorite place for a special meal. You just cannot beat the atmosphere, and those VIEWS are amazing. Try getting there at sunset - watching the sun set over the lagoon is amazing - so romantic. As you already know the service and food are wonderful. :cloud9:

Joannelet
02-04-2010, 10:17 AM
My hubby and I had a date night in December and we chose Yachtsman Steakhouse. We had a wonderful time and the food was delicious! :)
It was a wonderful place for a date! it was our first time there as well.

darthmacho
02-04-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm stuffing the ballot box for Artist Point!

If you choose it, here are a few recommendations i'd like to make...

Make an ADR for around sunset, and ask for a window seat, and tell them you're willing to wait. (If sundown is too late, anytime is fine, but don't go right at opening, wait for the dining room to be filled with the delicious smells of the woodfire smoked oven, or whatever they are cooking on back there!) If possible, spend some time in the lounge beforehand, perhaps with some wine, and again afterwards. If it's nice out, take a walk in the courtyard, and if it's raining, a walk inside! You can also browse in the store a bit.

Have a nice date! :mickey:

BrerGnat
02-04-2010, 03:27 PM
We are going to Artist Point for "date night" in March! I got good feedback from here and it seems to be a great choice! I'm looking forward to it.

We are also going to Blue Zoo another night. Both places seem VERY good for an ADULT meal, with great atmosphere and food.

Good luck with your decision, and enjoy date night. :)

crazygoalie39
02-04-2010, 03:37 PM
My personal taste is the California Grill. I love the food at Artist Point and the Yachtsman, but California Grill at night seems the most romantic to me.

MinnieMommie
02-09-2010, 07:17 AM
DH and I dined at Yachtsman for his birthday last month. I have to say it was a perfect romantic spot. The lighting was actually so nice we commented on it (neither too bright nor too dark). They sat us at a window and the view at sunset was just beautiful. We had the most attentive server and she made the meal a very relaxed experience. The food was great. If you are steak lovers (which DH is) you should enjoy Yachtmans. :thumbsup:

SBETigg
02-09-2010, 07:50 AM
Which did you choose, Lisa? Or still undecided? We just planned a trip in April (later than yours) and we're going to give Yachtsman's Steakhouse a try. We're also dining at California Grill and Narcoossee's. It's just the two of us. The son is in college and the daughter will be in France, so we're treating ourselves to WDW.

I considered Artist Point, but my husband's coworker just got back and said it was the worst meal he ever had, so my husband was impossible to convince. This wouldn't put me off, because I see plenty of recommendations for it. But, we're staying at Yacht Club (a first for us, diehard GF/monorail resort fans), so Yachtsman's makes sense this time.

Rhetoric2000
02-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Ignoring any food consideration (I haven't eaten at any for a while wo others could give better pointers on that basis) I would say that the most intimately romantic atmostphere is at Artist's Point.

renecat
02-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Another vote for Artist Point. If you like mushrooms try the mushroom soup it's to die for! The bison is also wonderful.

buzznwoodysmom
02-09-2010, 01:10 PM
DH and I had a date night at Yatchsman's steakhouse in Nov. It was very good. We were seated at a table for two by a window and it felt romantic enough. The food was very good, and I can't think of a single thing to complain about. However, I don't think we'll be going back. There's just too many places to try and it didn't impress enough to be a must do in the future. Definitely worth a try for someone who has never dined her before, but maybe not for a repeat.

mouseketeer mom
02-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Which did you choose, Lisa? Or still undecided? We just planned a trip in April (later than yours) and we're going to give Yachtsman's Steakhouse a try. We're also dining at California Grill and Narcoossee's. It's just the two of us. The son is in college and the daughter will be in France, so we're treating ourselves to WDW.

I considered Artist Point, but my husband's coworker just got back and said it was the worst meal he ever had, so my husband was impossible to convince. This wouldn't put me off, because I see plenty of recommendations for it. But, we're staying at Yacht Club (a first for us, diehard GF/monorail resort fans), so Yachtsman's makes sense this time.

Hi Sherri!
We chose California Grill and Artist Point. Yep, both of them. Our trip is long enough to do that, and if we decide to cancel one of them, it will be Artist Point. We just don't want to pass on Cali Grill this trip! Enjoy your trip for two, Sherri! Where are you staying?
And thanks everyone, for your recommendations!