PDA

View Full Version : Food Allergy and Dining

magicjasb
01-30-2010, 07:28 PM
We have a trip planned for August. I just found out that my 1 year old has an allergy to milk and eggs. I know I have read that the restraunts are very accomodating, but can anyone give me any specifics in regards to menu items, buffets, counter service, etc. I can make ADR's next week, so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks. :mickey:

Strmchsr
01-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Look at the menus in Info Central to get an idea what is served, but when you call to make your ADRs let the CM know that you have allergy issues and the chef will come out to talk to you to make sure that your child can have something to eat.

Pirate Granny
01-30-2010, 09:03 PM
The biggest problem you may have is at the Counter Services and snack items.

My dad had allergies and medical restrictions and the Chefs always came out to talk to him at the Table Services...A few were very accomodating...asking Dad what he was in the mood for, and never mind the menu...let's see if I can cook something special...Jiko was the best...

For breakfast (we had in the room) and lunches We carried a thermal pack with his food and we had counter service and he had the lunch we prepared for him. I brought mostly everything from home for him to eat. If I need groceries now, I use Garden Grocers and have food delivered to the room and store in the mini-frig...frigs are in moderate and deluxe rooms.
:pirate:

magicjasb
01-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks. We are staying at BLT and will use Garden Grocer. I think we will do what we can in the room. We usually do some character meals- Chef Mickeys, Crystal Palace, but I am not sure about all the food at the buffet. Do you know if you can get separate things there? He will only be 1 1/2.

Strmchsr
01-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Do you know if you can get separate things there? He will only be 1 1/2.

Even at the buffets if you tell the chefs your issues they will make sure your little man gets something good.

crazygoalie39
01-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Like previously stated, the chefs and CMs are extremely accommodating to all allergies. I have a life threatening Peanut/Tree nut allergy and WDW is basically the only place I feel 100% confident eating. When you make your ADRs, just tell them about the allergy. You will probably have to remind them when you get to the restaurant. The chef will come out and talk to you and if there is nothing on the menu that will fit your needs they will even make something special for you. Even for the CS, when you get up the the counter just ask to see the cook and tell them about your allergy and they will come out and talk to you and tell you what is safe and what isn't, as most of the things at CS are pre-packaged. Have fun!:mickey:

Goofy4TheWorld
01-31-2010, 10:41 AM
My DS 2 is allergic to eggs and peanuts. While I have not yet been to WDW with him (June 2010!), below I will give you what I have learned from Intercot on this issue.

As difficult as it is for me to do, you will ultimately just have to trust that Disney will make it work for you once you get there. Going through menus and trying to determine what has milk/eggs and what doesn't will be almost impossible unless you email a chef at each restaurant with specific questions for specific menu items. Even then, menu items may change before your trip arrives, so planning ahead is hit-and-miss at best. While I did email my most concerning restaurant (Tony's) with direct questions, I finally decided to just trust that Disney will do just fine. The Chef will make it work once you are sitting at the table.

For buffets, Chef's will usually ask you what you want off the buffet, then go and cook a special batch just for you so that they KNOW it has not been cross-contaminated.

For counter service and snack locations, most places should have a book right beside the cash register which lists all ingredients in each food they sell. Some counter-service managers will know this information by heart, while others will have a hard time remembering where the book is kept. You can get some information from Disney by sending an email to [email protected] and asking for information on food allergies. They will send you an email with four files attached, and one of them is a list of allergy information for some of the more common (and standardized) food items at counter service and snack locations.

Below is a thread I started with a lot of information packed into it. It contains a trip report from someone with egg & peanut allergies, a detailed list of what you can get from the special diets email address, and my experience with emailing the Chef at Tony's Town Square.
http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=162703

Good luck to us both!

magicjasb
01-31-2010, 08:21 PM
Thank you so much for all of the information! We just found out this week that he has allergies, so it is all new to us. I will email Disney. Enjoy your trip in June.

Emme&TeddysMommy
01-31-2010, 09:22 PM
We also have food and Latex allergies in our family and WDW is so great about it! Like the previous poster stared just email [email protected] and they will send you all of the needed information. They were so wonderful and helpful:) Hope you have a wonderful trip!!!

Goofy4TheWorld
01-31-2010, 10:30 PM
Looking back at my reply from Special Diets reminded me of something important for those folks with nut allergies:

At Disney's Animal Kingdom, our Animal Programs keepers roam the Park throughout the day and at any given time could have nuts in their pocket to use for demonstration and educational purposes while handling birds. Birds are located in just about every area of the Park. Be mindful that these keepers would have nut oil on their hands and remnants in their clothing.