PDA

View Full Version : Cali Grill - Is it worth it?

TinkerbellsMom
01-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Hi All,

We've never tried the California Grill and are thinking of giving it a try in May. We will not be on the dining plan and are not sushi eaters. Also, we're a family of 3 (DH, DD (9), and me) and we'll be celebrating our 19th Anniversary while in WDW.

I'd love your honest opinions on the restaurant. Is it worth the $$$?

Also, is there a dress code?

Thanks in advance for your input!!

drhama
01-30-2010, 04:24 PM
We love the California Grill. Without doubt, the best dining experience we have ever had. We will be eating there again in August.
Yes, there is a dress code. Casual business I think. You can check on Disney's web site for details. Pretty much shorts and polo shirts as I recall.
I do eat sushi and we were on the dining plan and there we only us 2 old people. Hard to say for someone else. Depends on your tastes and your "style". Dress code aside, it is a fine dining experience. The meal can take a few hours. We had a late dinner and went outside to watch Wishes after dinner. Just a wonderful ending to a great meal.

Pirate Granny
01-30-2010, 09:10 PM
We've eaten at Cali Grill three times...the first two were great experiences (Xmas Day dinner watching the fireworks)...however the last time in September was not so good...our reservation was for 9:20pm we arrived at 9pm so we could catch the fireworkes from the balcony...we never got seated until 10:15...the food and service wasn't the greatest...and the worst of all...we were up all night--the food really didn't agree with either of us, and we both had different dishes. I personally wouldn't spend the $$$ to take a 9yr.old...but that said, there were many children dining...not doing very well the night in September when the service was bad in general...as the meal was just too drawn out to keep their attention...and the ages around us were perhaps 5 to 12...I would use the $$$ from the 9yr dinner toward a night at the children's center in the hotel and have a nice adult meal.
:pirate:

MOJoe
02-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Yes, it's worth every penny.

What makes Cali Grill so special is not only the great food and service, but the location. You have the most unique view of any WDW restaurant.

This place "feels" special. Perhaps because you can't just walk in, but need to take an elevator. The food is really outstanding, and Disney's best cater to your dining needs. It's something when a restaurant this upscale can also please the kids too, so you can't go wrong bringing your 9 yr old, or leaving her behind for a lovely anniversary dinner. Yes this is an expensive restaurant, but my family thinks it's the best place in WDW.

Mickey'sGirl
02-02-2010, 11:22 AM
I personally find the menu limited, and DH got food poisoning last time we were there .... but the view was spectacular, and the servers were very good.

Just looked at the menu online -- It seems to be a bit more robust than I remember it. I honestly had a hard time ordering last time, but this menu has several items that interest me. Maybe we will give it another try....

faline
02-02-2010, 11:48 AM
A mixed review from me. We had several absolutely wonderful experiences here. Our last few times have been less than stellar experiences having to do both with service and seating locations. We're skipping it altogether on our next trip.

LVT
02-02-2010, 10:17 PM
I am on the wall about this place. However the guys of the family like it. Younger was 12 on first
trip and found food he liked. We have had the fireworks canceled due to lightning, so I would not spend the $200 and up especially for the fireworks.

momofdisneyprincess
02-03-2010, 01:03 PM
My Dh and myself at there for our 10th anniversary this past October. We were not on the dining plan either and still thought it was worth the $$. We booked a late dinner so we could go out on the balcony and watch Wishes after. The risotto was amazing and they brought our dessert out on a plate decorated with chocolate sauce that said, "Happy 10th Anniversary." Word of warning, I was surprised with how loud it was. While I understand this is Disney, I guess I expected parents to keep their children a little quieter when the dinner costs so much.. I do have children myself so I'm not knocking children. Just took a little romance out of it when the parents next to us weren't controlling their children.