PDA

View Full Version : Food Budget

eandrsmom
01-30-2010, 10:11 AM
We are traveling with our four children, ages 2,5,9,and 11 in May. In the past, we have stayed onsite and had the dining plan. This year, we are staying off site, so we won't be getting the dining plan. I am trying to budget for food. Do you think that $200.00 a day is about right? We eat breakfast in the room every morning, so I'm not including that. We ususally have one TS meal, one CS meal, and one snack in the parks each day. We don't usually order appetizers or alcoholic drinks. I'm just trying to get an idea, so I can start to budget.

Strmchsr
01-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Probably, but I would suggest checking the menus in our Info Central section to get a basic idea on price for the places you plan to eat just to be sure.

Iluvpooh
01-30-2010, 01:14 PM
That sounds about right, if you are careful. That comes up to around $30 a person and it can be pretty hard to eat on that. Especially at any TS places that I've been to lately.

KylesMom
01-30-2010, 09:34 PM
I too would definitely peruse the menus to get a better idea of $200 / day is enough. A lot of this depends on what type of TS you enjoy. Since one of your children is considered an adult, you'll need to plan for 3 adult & 3 childrens' prices per buffet. One dinner at Ohana or similar could set you back somewhere in the vicinity of $140 for one meal once you include the automatic 18% gratuity for a party of 6.

It certainly can be done, but it really depends on the types of TS restaurants you frequent. I also want to mention that Disney's been tossing in an additional $4 surcharge for buffets & character meals per person on during busier times of the year, so that really could play around with your budget, too, depending upon where your TS meals are.

#1donaldfan
01-31-2010, 09:00 AM
..the dinning plan is cheaper than that !!

....with the ddp you'll pay around 180 ish a day for your party....that'll give you plenty of food...actually, we've never been there with one under 3, but are they not free, thus reducing that estimate by 22 dollars a day ?? ......:thumbsup:

Strmchsr
01-31-2010, 09:42 AM
..the dinning plan is cheaper than that !!

I believe you can only do the DDP if you're staying on-site, which the OP said they are not. However, the DDP would be $149.95/day for that family + tips each day with the 2010 rates, so, yes, cheaper than the $200/day.

eandrsmom
01-31-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the tips. I'll check the menus and prices. My DH has points from work, so we are staying at a villa offsite. The savings will offset not being able to use the dining plan. But, I have to admit that we are spoiled. It is nice not having to worry about a food budget.

Momto3littlemice
01-31-2010, 01:45 PM
A suggestion from a budget conscious mom -- take PB and J sandwiches into the parks on a couple days for lunch. We do this and then spend the money on nice dinners. Also, you can eat TS at lunch (cheaper) and CS at dinner. It has never been a problem to pack a small (slightly larger than a lunch box) cooler with a PB and J for each and an apple. Perfect small lunch and save your hunger for dinner! :mickey:

PinKy
01-31-2010, 02:29 PM
I second the TS for lunch and CS for dinner. That seems to fit our children's temperament better as well. Maybe yours too?

#1donaldfan
01-31-2010, 08:48 PM
I believe you can only do the DDP if you're staying on-site, which the OP said they are not. However, the DDP would be $149.95/day for that family + tips each day with the 2010 rates, so, yes, cheaper than the $200/day.

ooops.....your right, I need to pay more attention.....sorry all !! :blush:

g8rgirl29
01-31-2010, 09:03 PM
You could save quite a bit by bringing your own drinks and snacks to the park and only buying special snacks once a day. Many of the CS restaurants offered a double cheeseburger that was too much for me as an adult. I think I have read on here that you can buy that and an extra bun and make 2 burgers. The younger ones could probably share an adult CS meal quite often too.

TheMartellFamily
02-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Another option for you too is to have some buffets around 230 to 3 pm and that may fill two meal at once. This is also at the lunch prices. I agree that the big meal should be in the afternoon rather than the evening.

brownie
02-01-2010, 10:57 AM
You could always plan a budget of around $70 per person per day; you shouldn't go over it at the end of the trip and you'll probably have money left over.