PDA

View Full Version : Is going to Universal "cheating" on Disney?

disneykid@hrt
01-28-2010, 01:50 AM
So after our last trip DH is convinced that he needs to go to Universal. He is more of a "thrill ride kind of guy" or atleast he likes to think so. I never even consider it. I feel bad when I look at the website- or think that something maybe looks "cool." It's almost like I have this subconscious hatred for Universal. But then I look and I think that the Dr. Seuss area looks good for my 2 year old, and I can't deny the Harry Potter land looks appealing...

Am I the only one who feels like I am cheating on my beloved Disney World by thinking of checking "the other" place out on our next trip?

Somebody help me- and please, guys, lets keep this between you and me...:secret:

BigRedDad
01-28-2010, 02:07 AM
Not at all. I think Universal is doing a lot of what WDW is not. They have many thrill rides that WDW is lacking. WDW is still grasping at the kiddie ride concept. IMHO, over half the rides at WDW can be found in almost any State Fair. If more enjoyable rides are your thing, then going to Universal is fine.

Disney4us2
01-28-2010, 02:57 AM
I don't think it is cheating. If so, I will be cheating on our next trip.:D Only our cheat will be at Kennedy Space Center.

I am thinking of adding 2 or 3 nights doing a split stay. I don't want to use up park time. If I don't have tickets... I am not cheating. and I will still be at a Disney hotel.:mickey:

fielin
01-28-2010, 04:07 AM
It can't be cheating when it is so delicious. ;-)

Universal parks are great, and Universal hotels are superior to Disney's. I think we are entitled to enjoy all there is to see out there, and it would be criminal to deny yourself the right to go and see what there is to do at Universal. :)

Have fun !

CzepielCrew
01-28-2010, 07:57 AM
It is not cheating. Universal is a whole different experience. We know why we love Disney. The magic is there unlike anywhere else, but Universal has more thrill rides. Fun in its own way.

coneygoil
01-28-2010, 08:26 AM
I kind of think it's cheating. I have no desire to go to Universal, even though it may be fun. But WDW has so much to do and when I get there, I don't leave the ground until it's time to go home! I like thrill rides, but not so much to be disappointed that WDW doesn't have enough. The atmosphere is enough for me :cloud9:

yjgirl32
01-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Your not married to Disney you are allowed to see what's out there. Plus competition is what helps to keep Disney going. They need to know what people like better about other parks so they can add and change things. Go and have fun- I plan to for our trip in Oct- only I am going to Seaworld and Busch Gardens. Waiting till a little later when DS6 can enjoy Universal to try that park. Good Luck.

DVC2004
01-28-2010, 08:39 AM
We go to Universal- not every trip or every year. Now that our kids are tall enough and old enough for the rides we will definitely go more frequently than in the past. It offers some things WDW doesn't. Plus DH and I love HHN. We have been to the parks on both coasts.

Joannelet
01-28-2010, 09:33 AM
I always consider it cheating too :) I call people that go there traitors LOL

The only thing is some of Universals rides are above Disney's in some ways. I am also interested in cheating on Disney when the new Harry Potter park opens up. :) I can't wait for that.

But yes like previous posts said, Universal hotels are a lot cheaper and I think that their city walk blows DTD away. But that is just my opinion. But I definitely think you should experience it.

blondeinbrandon
01-28-2010, 09:39 AM
I haven't been to Universal in years, and have never taken my kids. But with Harry Potter and now my boys are taller and more adventurous we are planning a trip in the fall.
My issue is that we buy the Disney Annual Pass and have only a certain amount of time to spend in Orlando, so we are at Disney every trip. I am actually not renewing my Disney Passes when they run out in the summer and I am buying Universal ones. So we'll see how I handle Disney withdrawl! The good part is Universal has a three month FL resident pass available at COSTCO. So I only need three months away from Disney! I think I can do it!
:secret:

Stu29573
01-28-2010, 09:48 AM
I don't think it's cheating at all....However, having said that, I have no interest in going (I might go to Universal CA, to actually see some film history). I'm the anti-thrill ride guy and Harry Potter has never floated my boat for some reason. So, while I certainly don't condemn others for going to Universal, they can have my spot in line when they get there...and I'll take their's at DIsney!:mickey:

MOJoe
01-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Somebody help me- and please, guys, lets keep this between you and me...:secret:

Don't do it! Mickey will find out you've cheated on him, and you won't be able to live with yourself!
Stay true to your love!:heart::smickey:

biodtl
01-28-2010, 10:05 AM
It's not cheating, but I have never gone myself - not because i don't want to, but mainly because A) transportation - we don't rent a car (we love that we don't need to on-site), so getting there is more difficult. And B) I hate to take any time away from WDW. So basically, I would have to extend my trip to include universal. Of course, then, I'd probably be like, Oh, 2 more days - maybe I should just spend them at WDW.

Now that the Harry Potter area will be opening, though, it might change - I'd like to see it. I'll have to start saving to be able to afford my normal 8-10 days at WDW, plus adding on Universal, lol.

joonyer
01-28-2010, 11:18 AM
No, don't go to Universal. You wouldn't like it, and that leaves the lines there shorter for the rest of us that do! :D ;)

brownie
01-28-2010, 01:08 PM
We have been to Sea World but not to Universal Studios. We have been waiting on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, so on our next trip we plan on spending a day at Universal. We'll still spend most of our time at Walt Disney World, but it will be interesting to see what it's like at Universal.

Laughin' place
01-28-2010, 01:15 PM
I never wanted to go to Universal, but broke down for a special trip with my boys in 08, as a treat to them.
They and i were both really glad I took them to Universal because:
1. new experiences and attractions
2. Universal overall gave my boys a WHOLE new appreciation for WDW and the magic
3. Universal helped us lose all the weight we gained at WDW, because the food was baaad

EeyoresBestFriend
01-28-2010, 01:19 PM
No, don't go to Universal. You wouldn't like it, and that leaves the lines there shorter for the rest of us that do! :D ;)

:funny:

I agree ~ We stay onsite at Disney but always spend at least 3 days at Universal! It's great and if anything, you learn to appreciate Disney a bit more when it comes to quality of staff and you will learn not to complain about the prices of food onsite WDW because US is ridiculous!! Either bring snacks or prepare to be roasted when you eat! LOL :D

It's all part of the experience! :thumbsup:

drosenbe
01-28-2010, 02:39 PM
we always spend at least one day at US, but that is usually enough for us. They do have an Emeril's there, which we love and went for lunch in Jan 2010.

Universal has some very good 'rides', Spiderman being the best ride (IMO) in Orlando, but US is missing the 'magic' that Disney has. Quite frankly, Disney has more characters and movies that appeal to the entire family, where US is definitively more for the teenager/young adult audience.

One thing that i have noticed and mentioned before is that at US, the buildings are all built totally to size, as opposed to DHS, where forced perspective is used. This makes DHS more playful and less intimidating than US. Neither park is doing any major filming, so I think DHS went the right way in being more of a 'theme' park rather than trying to be a working studio.

Imagineer1981
01-28-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't think its cheating, but I know what you mean, you get that feeling in your gut that its "wrong". Its hard to explain but it just means you are a true Disney fan!

LVT
01-28-2010, 03:27 PM
No.
Each of the parks brings something to central Florida. They all contribute to making the area a tourism hot spot and all gain from the presence of the others. IE. I go to 8 days to WDW and maybe 2 to beaches and 4 to mix of "others".
I would not return to Florida so often just for WDW.

Giggy
01-28-2010, 03:35 PM
We spend most days at Disney but make time for the others as well, we go for 14 days so find time to fit the other parks in.

In some ways rather than being in competition I see them as complimenting each other. They are able to offer different things. People are unlikely to choose Universal over Disney and generally if they want to see both they will just book enough time to see both. Therefore i don't consider it cheating as it isn't a zero sum game between the two.

My favourite is easily Disney. I appreciate the chance to go to the others for their thrill rides which I'm very impressed with but Disney manage to create this magical atmsphere that can't be matched by the others. Previously we've allowed a day each for Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, Sea World and Busch Gardens while spending most of the rest of our time in the various Disney parks.

disneykid@hrt
01-28-2010, 05:06 PM
I think part of me is scared that I will like it. I don't want to be a traitor! :mickey:

bruin1344
01-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Its not cheating, i like disney to have some competition so disney will strive to keep improving the parks and not cost a guest an arm and leg to go to

Mousemates
01-28-2010, 11:04 PM
We call a visit to Universal "going over to the dark side"...but the dark side can be a whole lot of fun :blush:.

DigitalDaredevil
01-29-2010, 04:38 AM
Disney is what brings me to Central Florida, but that doesn't mean I won't see other attractions.
Sometimes it is a nice break to see non-Disney attractions. Don't get me wrong, I am a die-hard Disney Nut, but if I were there 24/7 it wouldn't be as special to me.
I enjoy what Universal has. They do a nice job of theming and have some real cool rides/attractions.
When I go to Universal I feel more like I am going to a park. When I go to Disney, I feel like I am going somewhere magical. The drive onto the property, through the undeveloped areas makes you feel like you are going somewhere special, out of the way.
Not to discount Universal at all. I was there in December and I have to say that the level of customer service on my last trip was very much improved and on a level comparable to recent Disney Trips.

RAIDER
01-29-2010, 08:45 AM
Your not married to Disney you are allowed to see what's out there. Plus competition is what helps to keep Disney going. They need to know what people like better about other parks so they can add and change things. Go and have fun- I plan to for our trip in Oct- only I am going to Seaworld and Busch Gardens. Waiting till a little later when DS6 can enjoy Universal to try that park. Good Luck.

You hit the nail on the head . :thumbsup:
I go to loads of different parks when i visit florida such as Spring Gardens ,Kennedy ,Busch .... Variety is the spice of life :D

pixiesmimi
01-29-2010, 10:18 AM
I've been thinking the same thing. We are going to WDW in July/Aug. We have thought about spending one day at Universal just to go to Harry Potter World. We will have older DGSs with us that would love to go. We haven't been to Universal in years because we just don't want to leave WDW while we are there but we may start branching out for variety but Mickey's house will always be our home. :D Nothing is going to take away from that.

#1donaldfan
01-29-2010, 10:22 AM
..you already knew the answer before you asked it ....YES it's cheating....!! The money you spend there is money Disney wants...so it is cheating....no question.

......ha, ha....just kidding.....who cares (except Disney)....make sure you have a Universal shirt on, and go to WCC...depending on who you get, you may just get a funny antics session.....who knows.....

TheVBs
01-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Definitely not cheating, but I know what you mean. We've never been to US, never had any interest. But, I really want to see HP land now! I think our DDs would love it. Here's the thing though, I only want to go to US if it doesn't take any time away from a WDW trip. I don't want to make that long drive just for US either. So, the best case scenario I can come up with is having enough funds/time to do at least a couple days at US before doing our usual WDW trip. :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
01-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Oh my goodness, no--it's not cheating. There's room for lots of different experiences in life, especially on vacation. Universal Studios is different than WDW, but lots of fun in its own way. :)

Rhetoric2000
01-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Is it cheating on Disney the large entertainment corporation?: Absolutely it is yes as you're giving money that was assigned to them to another, but they don't need your loyalty all that desparately as they're doing okay on their own. All it can do is make it buck up it's ideas, which frankly it needs at the moment.

Is it cheating on the spirit of Disney that you have in your heart?: No, not at all. You will still love all that you love about Disney. You will just (probably) love something else as well.

There has been a lot written on the Universal vs Disney issue and so forth and I could write a whole lot more. Instead, all I can say is that I urge you to go and try Universal at least once as I believe it to be genuinely outstanding as a WHOLE FAMILY option now, which was perhaps not the case 10 years ago. And that's without even considering Harrry Potter yet.

Those who would still hold out would be truly, truly suprised at what they would find - especially against that old "thrill seekers and teenagers only" tag which in my opinion is now as outdated as, well, the Tomorrowland Speedway.

Touchdown
01-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Im a Roller Coaster Enthusiast and a Theme Park geek. The Universal parks are two of the best theme parks in the entire world and have some amazing rides you can not find anywhere else, not to mention they have the best perk of any park I have ever been to in their Unlimited Express Passes for Hotel guests. Ive done both in one trip, Ive done solo trips to both. The only difference is I feel Disney merits 7 days ideally, Universal merits 3 ideally.

SillySymphony
01-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Put simply.. I love ABC Gas. They wash my windows and check my oil. But if XYZ has Regular for $.05 less... I'm on board. Why? Because competition is good. It guarantees everyone is working for me.

Universal, SeaWorld... heck, even Gatortown, USA is working to entice you... entertain you... and make you a devotee. While my job has me working mostly with Disney, a fair number of our groups want to perform elsewhere, too. That's why Universal and SeaWorld built their own Student Travel market.

But, if you are concerned that you have offended Mickey and the Crew, why not do what I do? Even when I'm in town for the "competition", I stop by a Disney Park and play a day...

2Epcot
01-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Universal Studios Island of Adventure still has one of the best dark rides ever created, "Spider-Man". Until Disney finally creates something equal or better a little cheating is OK.

In my dreams
02-07-2010, 07:06 PM
The new Harry Potter attraction is getting me to US for the first time this Aug. I am SO looking foprward to it. I love HP:). Too bad WDW didn't get this gig:( then I wouldn't have to leave the World for a day!!

Rekenna
02-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Yes it's cheating!;) I know what you mean and I understand your uncertainty. We only get so many days in Orlando a year and I'm worried that I will waste them by not going to WDW. But, life is too short and I must try new things!

Also, I love, love, love Harry Potter. I, like another poster wish Disney had gotten the rights to Harry Potter instead of Warner Bros. It would make all of this so much easier.

We are thinking of a split stay in early December, we will go to US/IOA first and then WDW. I don't think I could leave WDW to go another place if I stil had days left of vacay to use.

Let's face it... we have gladly drunk the kool-aid and have assimilated to the Borg. They actually have us feeling guilty about spending our hard earned vacay time and $ somewhere else. The process is complete.

No matter what have fun! Enjoy yourelf and your family!:mickey:

MaxPower
02-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Disney always outshines Universal when it come sto theming.

However, universal took an outdated attraction and really revitalized it with some great new theming: The Simpsons Ride.

The theming of the queue and the the gift shop are as much fun as the ride itself.

forever a child
02-09-2010, 08:13 PM
If ya gotta ask, it probably is :secret:

bkfree
02-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Well we bit the bullet and just booked a non Disney trip to Orlando.
It will be my 50th birthday and we wanted to do something totally different after 3 trips to WDW.
With the help of Kathy at Magical Journeys, we have booked 5 nights at Portofino onsite and also tickets to Sea World.
I basically have just completely blanked it out of my mind that we will be in the same city as WDW. That helped.
Secondly, After seeing the total package price for the week and the great amenities at the hotel, I am really loving stepping outside the box. It will be about half the price of our Disney trips.
After throwing myself into online researching and reading about US and IOA, we are totally excited now. My daughter and I are roller coaster nuts, so that will be great.

I also think that our next trip to Disney will be a little more special now that we are skipping it this time.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, right!

ThanxForNoticin
02-23-2010, 12:45 PM
You will have a great time at Universal, IOA, and the Portofino. It's a great experience - and it's good to enjoy things outside of Disney!! You're right - your next trip back to Disney will be even better. Have a great time!