PDA

View Full Version : Photographing the Parks

faline
01-27-2010, 06:54 PM
What, in your opinion, are the most scenic spots for photographs in each of the parks? There are always the obvious like the Castle in the Magic Kingdom but what are the less obvious spots and/or angles to help make your photos fresh, new and different from the others?

BigRedDad
01-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Oh man, this is a tough question. I have just gotten into amateur photography and have been looking at magnificent shots from others. After learning about 4/3's and composition, there is so much more than snapping a picture.

I think that a lot has to do with timing, how the photo is composed, exposure. I have seen people with pics over Mission Space and Space Mountain with the shuttle launch. There are too many factors to fathom.

1. Fireworks with any central location to pick up the bursts
2. Different structures of the countries in WS
3. The MK classics: Castle, Space Mountain, Walt & Mickey
4. Characters
5. Parades.

ANG
01-27-2010, 07:55 PM
We love taking pictures on the bridge by the UK in Epcot.

And pretending to "use" the props in Mickey and Minnie's houses.

Altair
01-27-2010, 08:11 PM
MK- the castle from the path to the wishing well or near the bridge by Crystal Palace.

Epcot- World Showcase- the garden area in Canada with the bridge in the shot.

Epcot- Future World- the shot from near the Land towards the Seas across the water.

Studios- the Hat at night or the Osbourne Lights and Fantasmic!

AK- Festival of the Lion King

I love taking photos at Epcot, not so much at AK.
:photo:

d_m_n_n
01-27-2010, 09:35 PM
My favorite picture that we get every trip is at the Kodak picture spot by the carousel...If you turn around, instead of the merry-go-round as a backdrop, you get an awesome pic of the castle! :D

DigitalDaredevil
01-29-2010, 04:44 AM
In Epcot, I like to go to the area by Ellen's Energy Adventure and if you look towards Spaceship Earth and wait for the monorail to come by, you get a nice futuristic shot.

I also like taking long exposures of the castle and of World Showcase.

IloveDisney71
01-29-2010, 09:13 PM
I enjoy taking pictures of the different architecture in each of the lands in the MK and in the different sections of the other parks. There are endless possibilities. I also like to include the various types of "props" Disney has all over the place like: statues, phone booth in England/Epcot, the Tiki type statues near the Jungle Cruise, etc.

kemps@wdw
01-29-2010, 10:34 PM
I've taken hundreds of wonderful pics over the years, and I LOVE EVERY ONE of them. I have alot of the same things from the same angles, but just composed a little differently each year. Like my pic of the "Liberty Bell" paddlewheel boat w/the sun hitting it just right so it looks like it's glowing! Or my DD's 8 yr old laughing face spinning on the Tea Cups, or the year that my DH wore his Pink Floyd t-shirt, and we photographed "Pink Floyd" @ all the WDW attractions. But this year, I've decided to get some really different views( specifically from a parasailing view) for my 2010 scrapbook. So, I've kinda kept a eye out on several websites for new and unusual angles. The "ALllEars" website has a great photo section. I love taking pics of WDW and sharing them with everyone I can!

seanyred
01-30-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm always looking for different angels/variation of common pictures people take. My favorite place to take pics is World Showcase at EPCOT. I try to get long shots, medium shots and close ups of all the differnt countries.

Also another tip I have is trying to get shots that have few or no people in the foreground. It can be tricky to do but it forces you to look for differnt angels that you may normally not take.

And last but not least if you have the time waiting for the Monorail or the WDW RR to get into the right shot to make the scene.

BigThunderFan
02-01-2010, 04:22 PM
I also like to have the monorail either passing in front of the Main Street train station, or Spaceship Earth. One shot I got last week that I really love is Spaceship Earth at night, almost right beneath it with a palm tree in the foreground. Don't know why but I love it. I also like to take pics with reflections in the water. The walkway to Canada from Future World is perfect at night, there is a large pool there and Spaceship Earth reflects in the water at night, simply beautiful.

Jennifer_and_Chris
02-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Every trip, I choose an element/theme/thing and look for as many oppportunities to find them as possible all over the World. For instance, one year I concentrated on taking pictures of my husband in as many different hats as possible. Another year I concentrated on doors and doorways (one of my favorites!). Another year was Restroom signs. Another year was trying to find the Pal Mickey - while I aimed to find them in the stores and carts, I actually started taking picks of them on strollers, hips and people carrying them. Last year, I chose to do light fixtures. And I also took pictures of my kids wherever they fell asleep - this is VERY humorous and I plan to inflict great heartache with them when they are in older... graduation, bridal shower or baby shower perhaps? :thedolls:

The theming amazes me every time I go. It really makes me appreciate all the planning that Disney does. It also has started to rub off on me as I decorate my home and outdoor spaces.

BTW... the light fixtures and doors were my favorite pictures.

I've also taken a picture in the same spot every time we've gone - next to one of the lap posts in EP. That picture series started with my husband and I. It has included friends and family. Now, it will be my daughters and see how they grow through the years.

I haven't picked this year's theme yet.

faline
02-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Great responses! Would love to hear more!

crltkcagle
02-15-2010, 07:56 PM
I too am a bit of an amatuer and love to take pics when I am in WDW. I caught the tale end of the flower and garden fest last year and have some amazing pics of that. I also like going almost under the big ball in epcot and taking pics from different angles. Another great one in Epcot is the water fountain. I took so many I can almost flip through the pics and watch them dance! Of course the possibilties are endless in World Showcase!

In MK I love to take pics on Main Street in the morning before park opening. We always make early morning breakfast ressies at CP and the park is usually empty. I get great shots of Main Street and all the shops that way!

Don't forget to visit the resorts as well! Some have beautiful places to take pics!
I could go on and on about taking pics in WDW!

Pop Centurion
02-15-2010, 08:50 PM
I always look for different points of view and unique angels. Anything that will add interest to the subject. I like to capture things in ways most haven't seen.

Genie1953
02-15-2010, 08:54 PM
We have 8:05am ADR's for Crystal Palace. Is there a limit to where you can go in the park to take pictures when you are there before it offically opens for the other guests?

JPL
02-15-2010, 11:03 PM
I really like finding and photographing the hidden details and some of the inside jokes. The Windows on Main Street, references to Imagineers or other attractions, the signage and other things make for interesting pictures.

KAJUNKING
02-16-2010, 03:22 AM
we like to take pictures of the castle from diferent angles, and my wife loves to take pics of the train station from inside and outside the park

beksy
02-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Some of my favorites are the fountains in Epcot. I always take several of them each year. My favorite is the one near the Imagination Pavilion. I have it from all different angles, including one with my sister looking very irritated because I had all these pictures of it! ;)

BigThunderFan
02-16-2010, 11:06 AM
We have 8:05am ADR's for Crystal Palace. Is there a limit to where you can go in the park to take pictures when you are there before it offically opens for the other guests?

Yes, the areas you won't be able to go will be roped off. Basically if you don't need to go there for your meal, it will be roped off.

JabberJaws
02-16-2010, 11:12 AM
I do photography, particularly landscape, as part of my job so have always had an interest in photographing WDW. I find that the big, sweeping shots can be found on just about any postcard (e.g. the castle, SSE, the lakes/ponds, etc.). What I find interesting to photo at WDW are the tiny details. I like to have a minute, but interesting, detail in the foreground that most people don't pay any attention to (e.g. a hidden mickey, a small statue, etc.) and in the background have a larger icon such as the castle. I like the contrast.

Also overlooked are the resorts. I worked for a while in WDW Convention Marketing and part of my job was accompanying disney photographers out into the convention resorts. The level of detail, architecture, landscaping, etc. present in all the resorts, obviously the deluxe but to a large degree in the moderates as well, really makes for interesting photographs.

MarkC
02-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Lots of good responses. I seldom center on the people involved. Center on a subject (i.e. a ride) and put the people just off center. Another tip-- don't use sky in the background if its cloudy as your picture will be washed out and blah. If you can afford it and have a digital slr, I highly recommend a wide-angle or fish eye lens. I have a 14-18mm and it provides a totally unique perception of something you've probably photographed before. You (or anyone) can pm me your email address and I'll send you an example. Fireworks are especially nice for this at MK. I've stood in the circle and snapped some great pics of the entire sky lit up. Mark