PDA

View Full Version : Ticket ExPerts!! old tix w/ Park Hopper

In my dreams
01-27-2010, 06:21 PM
I have 3 old admissions. Two have 2 PH days and one has 1 PH on it.( They should have Water Park admit, too) I'll be in WDW in August and am making up my spread sheet (already!!). I'm going to be buying either 3 or 4 days basic admissions for us to cover our stay.
I've had old tix in the past and traded them right at my resort for other length of stay passes but my queston here is:

Would it be more beneficial to me to keep the 2-2day old passes separate and take advantage of park hopping and water park admit ? I'm guessing it would be. If simply trading the tix,WDW looks at the $$ value of the ticket at trade-in, not the admissions, correct?

KAT1811
01-28-2010, 09:45 AM
I would love to be able to help you but I'll admit that I'm a little confused. :confused:

Are you saying that you already possess two 2-day park hopper passes with a water park option and are going to upgrade them for use now and then add on 3-4 days in base tickets?

If I have it right I am fairly certain you will have to keep them separate unless you get the 3-4 day tickets with the park hopper. If one set of tickets has park hopper and the others do not they will not be able to combine them (unless of course you want to relinquish the park hopper portion of the first set of ticket, which would not be a good idea).

IMHO park hopping is a must. Not that we hop every day but I like the freedom of being able to whenever I want to so as a result I would hold on to the park hoppers, upgrade them for usage now and then purchase however many days you will need to complete your trip.

In my dreams
01-28-2010, 08:11 PM
LOL I know it's confusing...

My old tix will be almost 4 yrs old when I use them in Aug. When I purchased them in 06, I believe it was before the "magic your way" choices. I wanted to know about trading/upgrading so that each of us is using only one ticket the entire trip. My gut tells me to keep them seperate so that my daughter and I can park hop on 2 different days and get into a water park with the old tix. Then I'll just buy 4 day base tix for the remainder-we do not need to park hop everyday.

KAT1811
01-28-2010, 09:29 PM
I think I get it now.

They won't let you combine two tickets into one unless they both have the same options and you are only adding on days.

For example you can add park hopping days to your old ticket (after they adjust the pricing to bring you up to date and the tickets were purchased before they offered the "no expiration option" since the option has been added all other tickets expire 14 days from the date of first use unless the option is purchased) But if you were going to try to add base ticket days to the park hopper pass (so you would only have to keep track of one ticket for the trip, which is what I think you are trying to do) no dice.

Buttercup
01-28-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm like you - I have a whole bunch of passes, some with hopper, some without. I just leave them all separate on my trips instead of combining them with new passes. The old ones never expire (if you got them before Magic Your Way) so I like them kept separate in case we end up not using them.

cfoshe
01-28-2010, 09:53 PM
sorry, I am still a little lost. How could anyone leave Disney and not have used all the their ticket days. I just have to use them all when I am there. LOL guess of topic:D

Buttercup
01-28-2010, 10:26 PM
sorry, I am still a little lost. How could anyone leave Disney and not have used all the their ticket days. I just have to use them all when I am there. LOL guess of topic:D
ha ha ha good question!
We used to buy our passes (before you had to purchase the "no expiry option) with more days than we needed. Like, we'd buy a 5-day park hopper, even though we were only going to need 4 days. Sort-of 'stockpile' days for future trips, since the passes never expired.
My family also gets complimentary media passes (just the jobs we're in) so sometimes we only need those and don't have to dig into the stockpile.
But I think this year we're going to deplete our reserves... :( They always look at me funny when I bring up my old passes to Guest Services!

CleveRocks
01-29-2010, 12:41 AM
Sorry, but I have to be the bringer of bad news here.

You can't add to or upgrade a ticket after 14 days from its first use. This is true even if the ticket has the No Expiration option on it. You can't add days to an old (over 14 days from first use) ticket. You can't add the park hopper option to an old ticket.

So to repeat: you can't upgrade or add to an old ticket ... period. Those old tickets are good only for admission, and have no trade-in value whatsoever.

If you bought your tickets in 2006, then they are Magic Your Way tickets ... the MYW ticketing system started on January 2, 2005.

If you truly bought these tickets in 2006, I'm then assuming you paid for the No Expiration option. Because for any domestic ticket bought after Janaury 2, 2005, all entitlements on that ticket expire 14 days from the day of first use UNLESS the No Expiration option was purchased.

So, if you DID originally buy the No Expiration option on those old tickets, my very very strong advice to you is not to use the tickets at all. Leave them at home in a drawer. WHY? Disney math, that's why.

It looks like you'll be going to Disney parks for 6 days, right? After Day 4, Days 5 through 10 cost only $3 each ... three bucks. In other words, a brand new 6-day ticket will cost you only $6 more than a brand new 4-day ticket. In effect, if you use each old 2-day ticket for admission, you'll be getting only $6 of value from each of them.

Keep the old tickets in a drawer. You never know ... some day you might find yourselves in the Orlando area with just enough time for a day or 2 in the parks ... in THAT case, those old tickets would have tremendous value for you, since a 1-day ticket costs $79 and a 2-day ticket costs $156.

BUT PLEASE, don't misunderstand that last sentence. You CANNOT "trade-in" those old tickets for a value of $156. Those old tickets (if you originally bought the No Expiration option) can be used for admissions but CANNOT be exchanged for any value towards the purchase of new tickets.

I know this is all very complicated. It's so complicated because it has nothing to do with common sense ... it follows Disney's policies and procedures.

The bad news here is that I know I'm correct about those procedures, in that you can't trade-in, add to, or upgrade those old tickets (if in fact they haven't expired).

I apologize in advance if this post has any negative tone to it. That is CERTAINLY NOT my intention. My intention is to answer the OP's question, to share my knowledge of Walt Disney World's ticketing system. There are precious few things in this world that I can humbly but honestly call myself an "expert" in, and WDW's MYW ticketing policies and procedures is one of them.

CleveRocks
01-29-2010, 12:47 AM
They won't let you combine two tickets into one unless they both have the same options and you are only adding on days.

For example you can add park hopping days to your old ticket
Respectfully, those statements are not correct.

Two or more tickets cannot be combined in any way to form one new ticket. One ticket may be upgraded or added to to create a bigger and better ticket, but Disney's procedures simply do not allow for two tickets to be added together to create a bigger and better ticket.

And as I explained in my post above, the park hopper option can't be added to an "old" ticket if that ticket was first used more than 14 days prior to the attempted upgrade ... and this is true whether or not the tickets are No Expiration tickets.

Also, just in case anyone asks, pre-MYW tickets can't be added to or upgraded, either. Any unused entitlements can still be used, but nothing can be added to those tickets.

In my dreams
01-29-2010, 04:34 PM
:cool:I decided to hunt those old tix down. I actually have 6 tix. Some from 2002 some w/no date.
I think keeping them stashed away may be the best idea. I'll just buy 6 day base tix; like I said I don't need to park hop.
:D answer to PP about how I could have extra days... that' easy, I always bought tickets with extra days ,no expiration because I knew I'd be back. And when my husband came along, he always had one day where he didn't participate:baseball::golf::team:, he'd veg in front of the TV or hang out at the pool( more fun for me later!)

Iluvpooh
01-30-2010, 05:12 PM
An FYI for anyone who may think ALL pre-MYW tickets still have days on them. We purchased 8 day Ultimate park hoppers in 2001 and found out the hard way that those tickets did expire. They were part of most PACKAGES in 2000-2001.

magicjasb
01-30-2010, 07:37 PM
We used to get our tickets with American Express points (which you can't do anymore). Whenever my husband travelled there on business, we went. Most of his trips were only three days, but we had gotten 5 day tickets. We always had a day or two left over for the next trip.

CleveRocks
01-31-2010, 11:37 AM
An FYI for anyone who may think ALL pre-MYW tickets still have days on them. We purchased 8 day Ultimate park hoppers in 2001 and found out the hard way that those tickets did expire. They were part of most PACKAGES in 2000-2001.

Correct. Ending at the end of 2004, people who booked a Disney resort package often had "length of stay" ultimate park hopper tickets. Those tickets expired at the end of the check-out day ... and therefore any unused entitlements on THOSE tickets simply withered away at the end of the stay itself.